“I HAD ONE OF THOSE” - Locomotion October 22-23

stuarttrains

On Saturday October 22 and Sunday October 23, 2016, Locomotion: The National Railway Museum at Shildon will host a “pop up museum” celebrating toy trains and model railways from the 1960s.

The “pop up museum” will focus on Tri-ang Railways. This British manufacturer of toy trains, part of the Lines Bros. Ltd. Company, produced toy trains from around 1951 to 1965. For many, the Tri-ang Railways range was the affordable introduction to the world of model railways.

Visitors to the museum will be able to view displays of Tr-iang and Playcraft toy trains; browse displays of magazine advertising from the period; and watch historic films throughout the day.

They will also be able to get on board cabs of rail vehicles with a link to Tri-ang – including SR No. 34051 Winston Churchill, which was modelled by Tri-ang.

post-789-0-44097400-1475659083_thumb.jpg

Locomotion: The National Railway Museum at Shildon is open from 10am to 5pm daily, and parking and admission are free of charge.

I think Sir Winston was referred to as Winnie informally. e.g the Daily Telegraph "Winston Churchill: America’s enduring love for Winnie and his words" (at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/9451741/Winston-Churchill-Americas-enduring-love-for-Winnie-and-his-words.html).

But my reference to grammatical gender was about using the female pronoun "she" for a steam loco.

Winnie is short for Winifred not Winston, I am not aware of a short version of Winston.

That means you're too young!  'Winnie' was a term of endearment for Sir Winston Churchill particularly in the war years.

Brian.

Archived