Churminster & Stowe Magna, Southern Railway

Tony Teague

• RMweb Gold

Amazing layout! Wish I had the space for something like this, at least then all the excess stock I have might have a chance of being used!

Well thank you Jules, however, I think there must be a rule that says something like "however much stock you can display, you will always have at least twice as much available"....I know I have!

But then, you never can have too many locos!

Your layout looks good; I will take a look.

Best wishes

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tony, blimey what a layout, that really is some huge project which is being very carefully and skillfully executed. All the best Adrian.

Hi Adrian,

Well coming from a master, that is praise indeed!

I should say that the "coffee stirrer inspiration" came from reading your thread - so thank you!

Tony

So here now is the long promised update on progress with Churminster Station yard.

I have been trying to do justice to Geoff Taylor's excellent model of the station which I pictured in post #13 when it arrived, and then in post #19 once it had been set into the platform edge, however the station forecourt and the area to the right of the station, towards the loco shed had remained incomplete.This could be seen in the 3rd picture in my last post #23.

Whilst it is probably not "finished" I have since made enough progress for me to be happy to show what it now looks like; the first picture looks down the entrance road to the station forecourt, with the loco shed yard to the left:

attachicon.gifSJPAB9A294502161117.jpg

The second shot is taken in the same direction but from the loco shed roof!

attachicon.gifSJPAB9A294302161117.jpg

attachicon.gifSJPAB9A294902161117.jpg

Finally, I climbed one of the tall loco yard lighting gantries to take an aerial shot:

attachicon.gifSJPAB9A294802161117.jpg

The three locos in the yard when these pictures were taken were all ex-LSWR locos:

No.472 - a Drummond D15 4-4-0 from a PDK kit

No.499 - a Urie S15 4-6-0 from a DJH kit

No.522 - a Urie H15 4-6-0, also from a DJH kit

All three kits were built by Chris Phillips whom I have mentioned previously.

In the background, and across the tracks shunting the goods yard is No.2473, an ex-LBSCR Billinton E4, RTR by OO Works.

Whilst these images show significant progress, there are some small areas to be completed, more signage added, and perhaps some street lights to the forecourt.

What the pictures also show is that there is now a further significant amount to be done to get the shed and shed yard up to the same level.....

Tony

Edited to give credit to the loco kit builder!

More excellent pictures of an excellent layout for us to indulge in!

Thanks, and keep 'em coming!

• RMweb Premium

In my initial post I mentioned my target of having at least one model of every loco type that the SR possessed at nationalisation, and that this was my reason for not modelling a prototypical location; I thought that it might be interesting to introduce one or two of the more unusual locos in the collection to illustrate the problem!

First is DS 1169, a Ruston Hornsby 48DS shunter acquired by the Southern to work first on sea defences at Folkestone and later at Broad Clyst; this tiny little loco is from a Judith Edge kit and was built for me by Chris Phillips:

attachicon.gifSJP2O4B937502160826.jpg

RMWebbers were very helpful on this one in determining the most likely livery for the date that I am modelling.

Next up are a pair of PD&SWJR locos, 'A.S. Harris' and 'Earl of Mount Edgcumbe', each from a CSP Agenoria kit by the sadly, very recently, deceased Roger Slade, and again, built for me by Chris Phillips:

attachicon.gifSJPSJPIMG_11320215113002151130.jpg

Next, an ex-LB&SCR E4 tank, this one RTR by OO Works:

attachicon.gifSJPIMG_104002150403.jpg

One of the advantages that I see from modelling the period that I have chosen is that I can run locos, and trains as well, in a number of liveries through from Maunsell olive, via wartime black, to Bulleid malachite. None of my locos is as yet weathered, although all have coal, crew and more recently SR headcode discs added, whether they are RTR or kit built; one day I shall get around t weathering as I am now convinced that it looks far better!

Finally, a Hornby RTR ex-LSWR T9, posed next to a kit built ex-LSWR L11, to highlight the similarities and differences; the latter from a Martin Finney kit and again, built by Chris Phillips ( http://www.crphillips-models.co.uk/ ), whose work I greatly admire - no connection other than as a satisfied customer!

attachicon.gifSJP148_2 class L11 + 312 Class T902150228.jpg

I am now only a very small number of types away from fulfilling my original aim, but it is fair to say that the last ones will be difficult since no kits exist. I am looking at 'kit bashing' for one, and having a 3D body printed for another, but I am determined to get there!

Tony

Edited 9.10.16 to add link to Chris Phillips' website.

DS1169. Have not seen 'that' loco since about 1963 at B. Clyst. Lovely.

Phil

• RMweb Gold
On 24/11/2016 at 10:27, slowcomo said:

I should say that the "coffee stirrer inspiration" came from reading your thread - so thank you!

I have just realised that in thanking Adrian above in post #29, I was referring to a previous post that I had made in a different thread - so just for completeness I will repeat here what I had posted, and ask the forbearance of those who read both threads.

My posting referred to what is my first ever scratch built structure, the Churminster coaling stage - true, it is pretty modest compared with some of the efforts I have seen on here, but it really is the first structure that I have ever put together without the aid of a kit - so I am proud of it!

It represents a Southern Railway wooden coaling stage and is made entirely from coffee stirrers:

SJP2O4B627702160425.jpg.578e77d9773ef55ed910c877da168751.jpg

It is not based on a particular prototype but I have several pictures of structures of this kind, and of all shapes & sizes; here it is in situ, before the surrounding area has been fully completed:

SJP2O4B627402160425.jpg.577f7e185f81a16073d01c696f8b1416.jpg

Here it is in use, with SR / ex-SECR No.1124 approaching and about to be coaled:

SJP2O4B879802160725.jpg.a8c0229025d97afa1b6fc9d96a653c97.jpg

Having just completed the station forecourt and the approach road immediately behind the shed, as previously reported, the loco shed and shed yard is the area which now needs to receive attention; this will bring this whole corner of the layout up to a reasonable level - although some serious items such as signalling, will remain outstanding for now.

Here is a more general view of the area involved (there is another in post #19 above, and both were taken before the work on the forecourt etc was completed):

SJP2O4B879902160725.jpg.36ee5f556ffa4b2890260fb0f3eb046a.jpg

The work to be done includes a remake or upgrade of the loco shed and shed office which currently consist of unfinished Metcalf kits, completing the ballast / ash / coal covering of the ground, adding a couple of squalid-looking outbuildings and general detritus, and inside the shed, installing detectors so that the occupancy or non-occupancy of each section within it will show up on the control panel.

I will report on progress with each of these in due course, but it won't be quick as I will be off to Warley on Sunday to catch up with old friends!

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Big SR tanks!

In a separate post, Mallard60022 (Phil) had asked for pictures of either SE Finecast or PDK SR W class tanks, so having taken a couple of shots of my Finecast model, I thought that I would include them here:

SJPAB9A388302161128.jpg.60163389d23107abb1518f9266b96726.jpg

SJPAB9A388402161128.jpg.aa6a789cebfd9c453ec56987ce229335.jpg

I love these big SR tanks, and so whilst I had the camera out, I took some shots of others; the first is a Urie H16 in olive, which is from a Millholme kit - I bought this on E-Bay.

SJPAB9A388502161128.jpg.e0829a64862dd00771faadf4f930100c.jpg

Then there is a Maunsell Z class 0-8-0 from a DMR kit:

SJPAB9A388602161128.jpg.cccde61bf7a2b13ceeee55beb59e3608.jpg

And finally a Urie G16 from a Golden Arrow resin kit on a Hornby 8F chassis - this is probably the weakest model and I have recently ordered a PDK kit to "ugrade/replace" this.

SJPAB9A388702161128.jpg.ce2a013a26d43608b16459b6f1468973.jpg

These were all built by Chris Phillips excepting the H16 as mentioned above.

I also have a couple of big Brighton tanks which I will save for another day, but I hope that these are of interest!

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 17

Hi Slowcomo,

As you can see from the numerous "likes" etc, I have just caught up with your thread.  Despite my ex NER leanings and maybe because of the Bulleid connection I have a soft spot for the southern.  Yours is a hugely (literally) impressive layout and I love your plan to have a model of every SR loco.  I too (but for space reasons) am building a "generic" layout but I must admit if I had the space you have available I would probably have tried to model an actual location - did you not almost go down that route?

I am also intrigued by O V Bulleid's "Leader" class loco which I have rarely seen modelled.  This is not on your missing list so I assume you have such a model.  I would be grateful therefore if you could please post a picture of the Leader if you have one to hand.

I am looking forward to following your excellent work in the future.

Best Regards,

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Those look great. I have just started work on the biggest of the Brighton tanks. I'll look forward to seeing what you've got.

Gary

Hi Gary

Thanks!

The two I was referring to are the J2 and the L, although technically, the latter is out of my date range as it would have been converted to an N15X loco by Maunsell in 1936 - but it is huge and I like it, so Rule #1 applies!

Here are the pics:

post-14629-0-28283300-1480700896_thumb.jpg

No.2328 is the ex-LB&SCR Billinton 4-6-4T L class built from a Langley Models kit by an unknown builder - it was sourced for me by a friend and I have no idea who built it, but it looks reasonable, despite the lack of lamp brackets, and it runs pretty well.

post-14629-0-39761500-1480701079_thumb.jpg

No.2326 is the ex-LB&SCR Marsh 4-6-2T J2 class built for me by Chris Phillips from an Ace Products kit - again there is an absence of lamp brackets but otherwise it looks good and runs well.

I have added real coal and a crew to every one of my loco fleet; most of the more recent crew sets are from Martin Hill's excellent Masterpiece Falcon Figures range (as usual, no connection excepting as a satisfied customer!).

Hope these are helpful; I'd be most interested to see your Brighton tank in due course.

Best wishes

Tony

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Hi Slowcomo,

... I would probably have tried to model an actual location - did you not almost go down that route?

I am also intrigued by O V Bulleid's "Leader" class loco ... I assume you have such a model.  I would be grateful therefore if you could please post a picture of the Leader if you have one to hand.

Best Regards,

Brian.

Hi Brian

Many thanks for all of your "likes" and for the feedback, plus the two intriguing questions.

No, although I had looked at prototypical locations for previous layouts, I never really considered one when approaching this project - and that is simply because I realised that there was nowhere on the Southern system where you would have seen all of the loco fleet that I had been gathering.

Having seen a couple of excellent prototypical layouts up close (I am a great fan of Tony Wright's Little Bytham for example) I can see the attraction and there are also other benefits - for example he can run a prototypical schedule and accurately model specific trains, whereas I have to invent these and even things such as the signalling diagram!

So I can see the attraction, but aside from my underlying reason, I am also too far down the line to change now!

Nevertheless I am trying to take a more clever approach on train formations and I have been collecting a series of photographs of trains of the period that I am modelling, and then I am building my model rakes based as closely as possible on how the originals were made up; I am then putting a picture of my model train alongside the original so as to give a bit more credibilty to what I have done.

Bulleid's Leader is also an interesting question - I don't have one but I probably should! I think this is because it was started in 1946 but not really completed until after Nationalisation and so, outside my period. However, given that I have an L class - see previous post - it is a bit odd that I don't have a Leader.

I shall have to work on this but I can think of two places where you can see pictures of other people's Leader models:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94254-a-southern-workbench-in-the-frozen-north/?p=2496680

and on Graham Muspratt's excellent Fisherton Sarum:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/2/entry-9375-talking-stock-8-is-it-a-diesel-is-it-steamit%E2%80%99s-a-bulleid-leader/

When I solve this significant absence I will post an update on it!

Best wishes

Tony

• Like 2

Hi Brian

Many thanks for all of your "likes" and for the feedback, plus the two intriguing questions.

No, although I had looked at prototypical locations for previous layouts, I never really considered one when approaching this project - and that is simply because I realised that there was nowhere on the Southern system where you would have seen all of the loco fleet that I had been gathering.

Having seen a couple of excellent prototypical layouts up close (I am a great fan of Tony Wright's Little Bytham for example) I can see the attraction and there are also other benefits - for example he can run a prototypical schedule and accurately model specific trains, whereas I have to invent these and even things such as the signalling diagram!

So I can see the attraction, but aside from my underlying reason, I am also too far down the line to change now!

Nevertheless I am trying to take a more clever approach on train formations and I have been collecting a series of photographs of trains of the period that I am modelling, and then I am building my model rakes based as closely as possible on how the originals were made up; I am then putting a picture of my model train alongside the original so as to give a bit more credibilty to what I have done.

Bulleid's Leader is also an interesting question - I don't have one but I probably should! I think this is because it was started in 1946 but not really completed until after Nationalisation and so, outside my period. However, given that I have an L class - see previous post - it is a bit odd that I don't have a Leader.

I shall have to work on this but I can think of two places where you can see pictures of other people's Leader models:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94254-a-southern-workbench-in-the-frozen-north/?p=2496680

and on Graham Muspratt's excellent Fisherton Sarum:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/2/entry-9375-talking-stock-8-is-it-a-diesel-is-it-steamit%E2%80%99s-a-bulleid-leader/

When I solve this significant absence I will post an update on it!

Best wishes

Tony

Tony,

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply and the excellent references.

Regards,

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gary

Thanks!

The two I was referring to are the J2 and the L, although technically, the latter is out of my date range as it would have been converted to an N15X loco by Maunsell in 1936 - but it is huge and I like it, so Rule #1 applies!

Here are the pics:

attachicon.gifSJPAB9A388902161128.jpg

No.2328 is the ex-LB&SCR Billinton 4-6-4T L class built from a Langley Models kit by an unknown builder - it was sourced for me by a friend and I have no idea who built it, but it looks reasonable, despite the lack of lamp brackets, and it runs pretty well.

attachicon.gifSJPAB9A389002161128.jpg

No.2326 is the ex-LB&SCR Marsh 4-6-2T J2 class built for me by Chris Phillips from an Ace Products kit - again there is an absence of lamp brackets but otherwise it looks good and runs well.

I have added real coal and a crew to every one of my loco fleet; most of the more recent crew sets are from Martin Hill's excellent Masterpiece Falcon Figures range (as usual, no connection excepting as a satisfied customer!).

Hope these are helpful; I'd be most interested to see your Brighton tank in due course.

Best wishes

Tony

Those look great. I don't think the lack of lamp brackets detracts from them to much. My layouts being very much pre-grouping my L class will be in LB&SCR Photographic Grey as number 333 Remembrance, which is out of my period but I fell it is needed to be modelled. It seems at this stage I will be scratch building rather than getting the Langley kit but I am looking forward to the challenge, the chassis is ready and the drawings are printed, I will let you know once there is something worth seeing.

Gary

• RMweb Gold

Those look great. I don't think the lack of lamp brackets detracts from them to much. My layouts being very much pre-grouping my L class will be in LB&SCR Photographic Grey as number 333 Remembrance, which is out of my period but I fell it is needed to be modelled. It seems at this stage I will be scratch building rather than getting the Langley kit but I am looking forward to the challenge, the chassis is ready and the drawings are printed, I will let you know once there is something worth seeing.

Gary

Gary

Thanks, and good luck with your build!

I'd be very interested to see how in pans out.

Best wishes

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Time for an update following some significant progress above Churminster loco shed!

Attached to my first post in this thread was a picture in which you could see the full length of the layout, and in particular at the left hand side, the main fiddle yard was visible beyond the roof of Churminster shed and a few houses placed behind it.

Once the fiddle yards were completed it became possible to erect the backscene behind this area, blocking off the view of the fiddle yards, as shown below:

post-14629-0-27663500-1481750134_thumb.jpg

Since then, work has focussed on the two scenic boards in front of the backscene, and above Churminster shed, and with Mike Gascoigne having painted the backscene, this area is now nearing completion:

post-14629-0-27462000-1481750584_thumb.jpg

from left to right at the rear are the public library, the police station, the vicarage and the parish church.

post-14629-0-18020200-1481750597_thumb.jpg

the back gardens of the pair of semi's at the front right need detailing.

post-14629-0-89001000-1481750608_thumb.jpg

a few more people needed in the street.

I had intended to move away from card kits towards scratch building, but I already had a lot of these completed, plus kits in hand, and so chose to progress this area more quickly by using what I had; a number of the buildings have lights in them and these, together with the street lights now need connecting up. A few more people might also be an improvement. I will post some further pictures shortly as these do not do justice to Mike's backscene.

Overall I am pleased with the effect, plus completing this area frees me up to work on the loco shed area immediately in front of it - which is the next area for attention.

Tony

• Like 19

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A Happy New Year to everyone who follows this thread and thanks for your postings in 2016!

By way of an update, I decided over the Christmas period to take a break from the scenic side of the layout as I felt the need to build something - but I had to start by clearing my workbench...

So after several days of finishing the painting of a couple of kit-built road vehicles, numerous half-painted figures, 60 Langley beer crates and umpteen barrels (both of the latter bound for the eventual installation of a brewery on the layout), I eventually had a clear space.

SJPP101002302170101.jpg.8202cc081c6ee64b4b1987b0624eee7e.jpg

These lorries are in Southern Railway green and now need decals plus some glazing to complete.

SJPPC28005402161228.jpg.aedcd7ba468db7d494ecc9599fb0453d.jpg

Painting bottle tops is a tedious business!

I decided to start with a couple of Parkside Dundas LNER vans which are needed to add some inter-regional variety to my predominantly SR van train; they went together very quickly and now await the paint shop, some weight, decals and couplings, but I have two questions for LNER and van experts!

1. Did these vans have brake levers on one side only, or both? The kit instructions are unclear but enough parts are provided for both sides.

2. How does the brake cross- rod thingy (loose brown part in pic below) fit? Again the instructions and diagram are unclear and I'd rather put it in the right place.

SJPP101003202170101.jpg.5f9e0c4197f8ae06778e2016c7a04329.jpg

SJPP101003602170101.jpg.8708a8b7258237a296cfc27bc28eec61.jpg

All help appreciated!

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Since my last post, I was privileged along with a couple of friends to pay a visit to "Liverpool Lime Street" - and what an inspirational layout it is! I have plenty of ideas as a result, although I am certain that I will never achieve the degree of technical sophistication that Lime Street has. I took a number of pictures of which this is one; several more are posted on the Lime Street thread from post #1522 onwards ( http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/33141-lime-street-station/page-61 ):

SJPAB9A394702170104.jpg.47efc94a1626e3e17db4239162e5a02a.jpg

Well, back to reality - I made good progress with the goods van building, so much so that I completed another pair of LNER 12T vans and 2 GWR 12T vans, all from Parkside Dundas kits, which went together extremely well; all 6 are now complete and painted, awaiting only decals and couplings.

SJPP110000602170110.jpg.eb0a7852687cfcec32579e9fe2602dc5.jpg

SJPP110000302170110.jpg.a8a94afce182c61cea7077e52d0b1b2e.jpg

I have had a long-standing debate with myself about couplings, because at present, every known form of coupling exists on Churminster & Stowe Magna - well almost! I have tried 3-link - they look good but do not lend themselves to automated uncoupling; I have tried Kadees, but to me, they do not look right on goods wagons, and I had also experienced reliability problems with them where gradients are involved. Even simple tension lock couplings can be unreliable, especially when the Dapol variety are mixed with the Bachman and Hornby versions!

What I was certain about was that I needed to standardise, at least at the ends of rakes, and certainly within any rakes where shunting might be involved. Having posed a question about uncouplers in a separate thread ( http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118492-heathcote-electronics-uncoupler-for-tension-lock-couplings/ ) I have decided that at least where shuntable goods wagons are concerned, I will standardise on Bachman tension lock and I have ordered a Heathcote uncoupler to try out. I will report my findings here in due course, but in the meantime each of the 6 new wagons will be tension-lock fitted.

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 7

Since my last post, I was privileged along with a couple of friends to pay a visit to "Liverpool Lime Street" - and what an inspirational layout it is! I have plenty of ideas as a result, although I am certain that I will never achieve the degree of technical sophistication that Lime Street has. I took a number of pictures of which this is one; several more are posted on the Lime Street thread from post #1522 onwards ( http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/33141-lime-street-station/page-61 ):

attachicon.gifSJPAB9A390502170104.jpg

Well, back to reality - I made good progress with the goods van building, so much so that I completed another pair of LNER 12T vans and 2 GWR 12T vans, all from Parkside Dundas kits, which went together extremely well; all 6 are now complete and painted, awaiting only decals and couplings.

attachicon.gifSJPP110000602170110.jpg

attachicon.gifSJPP110000302170110.jpg

I have had a long-standing debate with myself about couplings, because at present, every known form of coupling exists on Churminster & Stowe Magna - well almost! I have tried 3-link - they look good but do not lend themselves to automated uncoupling; I have tried Kadees, but to me, they do not look right on goods wagons, and I had also experienced reliability problems with them where gradients are involved. Even simple tension lock couplings can be unreliable, especially when the Dapol variety are mixed with the Bachman and Hornby versions!

What I was certain about was that I needed to standardise, at least at the ends of rakes, and certainly within any rakes where shunting might be involved. Having posed a question about uncouplers in a separate thread ( http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118492-heathcote-electronics-uncoupler-for-tension-lock-couplings/ ) I have decided that at least where shuntable goods wagons are concerned, I will standardise on Bachman tension lock and I have ordered a Heathcote uncoupler to try out. I will report my findings here in due course, but in the meantime each of the 6 new wagons will be tension-lock fitted.

Tony

Just found this thread and found it really interesting (another follower). Have you thought about Spratt and Winkle? I've used them for years, they are reliable if set up properly and although wagons need couplers, locos only need a loop meaning full buffer beam detail can be added.

Martyn

• RMweb Gold

Just found this thread and found it really interesting (another follower). Have you thought about Spratt and Winkle? I've used them for years, they are reliable if set up properly and although wagons need couplers, locos only need a loop meaning full buffer beam detail can be added.

Martyn

Hi Martyn

Thanks for responding; I am glad you like the thread, and no, I had not considered Spratt & Winkle so I have just looked at a couple of videos on YouTube about them.

I agree that they look good, but they do seem to require a lot of work and given the number of wagons that I have I am not sure that I would have the patience!

Equally, if you look at the thread that I mentioned concerning couplings, ( http://www.rmweb.co....lock-couplings/ ) you will see that there are a couple of solutions which, so far as I can see, are really emulating in a modified Bachmann coupling, what a Spratt & Winkle coupling does.

I will certainly not dismiss Spratt & Winkle but I think that I am probably already committed to an uncoupling trial with Bachmann couplings and the Heathcote uncoupler - so we shall see!

Thanks again

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Whilst on my wagon building spree I decided to put together some Parkside Dundas 7 plank wagons, but as I like unusual prototypes these are modelled as "Ste Belgo Anglais des Ferry Boat" coal wagons, which unbelieveably for coal wagons were painted a shade of off-white.

Bachman have produced a short exclusive run of these wagons for Model Rail but they are hard to come by and sell for inflated prices 2nd hand, however, my good friend Mike Radford of Marc Models (usual disclaimers) has produced transfers to the original drawing, and armed with these and a picture of an original wagon, I have constructed a small number of these very odd looking wagons.

SJPP124001602170124.jpg.65e442a5fcafdebdfce5bcfe81ee278e.jpg

SJPP124001702170124.jpg.08f7893c4036a104ce8b0a35e1899460.jpg

They certainly now need weathering, as well as loads & couplings, but they will make a good addition either to one of my coal trains or my continental freight train. The Parkside Dundas kit (PC73) appears to be an exact match for these wagons.

SJPP124000202170124.jpg.146d1ea67cba238b4c74b41ba4c8c932.jpg

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 16

• 2 weeks later...

So here now is the long promised update on progress with Churminster Station yard.

I have been trying to do justice to Geoff Taylor's excellent model of the station which I pictured in post #13 when it arrived, and then in post #19 once it had been set into the platform edge, however the station forecourt and the area to the right of the station, towards the loco shed had remained incomplete.This could be seen in the 3rd picture in my last post #23.

Whilst it is probably not "finished" I have since made enough progress for me to be happy to show what it now looks like; the first picture looks down the entrance road to the station forecourt, with the loco shed yard to the left:

attachicon.gifSJPAB9A294502161117.jpg

The second shot is taken in the same direction but from the loco shed roof!

attachicon.gifSJPAB9A294302161117.jpg

attachicon.gifSJPAB9A294902161117.jpg

Finally, I climbed one of the tall loco yard lighting gantries to take an aerial shot:

attachicon.gifSJPAB9A294802161117.jpg

The three locos in the yard when these pictures were taken were all ex-LSWR locos:

No.472 - a Drummond D15 4-4-0 from a PDK kit

No.499 - a Urie S15 4-6-0 from a DJH kit

No.522 - a Urie H15 4-6-0, also from a DJH kit

All three kits were built by Chris Phillips whom I have mentioned previously.

In the background, and across the tracks shunting the goods yard is No.2473, an ex-LBSCR Billinton E4, RTR by OO Works.

Whilst these images show significant progress, there are some small areas to be completed, more signage added, and perhaps some street lights to the forecourt.

What the pictures also show is that there is now a further significant amount to be done to get the shed and shed yard up to the same level.....

Tony

Edited to give credit to the loco kit builder!

excellent use of the space available, very fortunate to have a great deal of space, great to visit the other day

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It has been a while since I posted an update, and it is not that nothing has happened, just that we have been working on the dull but important bits that have to be done - yet more wiring, solving a few operating problems, and putting some buildings together which will eventually enhance the overall scene - I hope!

In the meantime, I have just taken delivery from a certain Mr Tony Wright, of a loco that he has been building for me - a very old Millholme Models kit of a Urie H16; there are a few pictures of the loco in development on Tony Wright's thread, where you will see that he replaced a number of fittings with more modern turned brass ones, but here now is the finished article, hauling a mixed freight on the Up Main line, and passing the gas works just north of Stowe Magna:

SJPAB9A4698-202170218.jpg.c4b99f11a7a2370053347e653c26a6e8.jpg

I am delighted with the model which was painted by Geoff Haynes and really looks the part.

Thank you Tony, thank you Geoff!

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 18