Churminster & Stowe Magna, Southern Railway

Tony Teague

Hello Tony,

Everything is all looking very good here and you're doing quite a lot of "proper" modelling now - well done!

I must say, the rolling E5-X chassis looks excellent, what wheels are those, please?

Also, thanks for the comparison between the old and the new Terriers - that is a big difference, now to wait and see how much difference there is between the new Hornby and the Sheffield versions (not wishing to cause controversy, just curious).

Finally, here's hoping your good lady is on the mend.

Cheers,

John. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks John!

Not sure what 'improper' modelling I have been doing for the last 10 years :dontknow:, but glad you like this :).

The chassis is from SE Finecast who supply Markits / Romford wheels with their kits, and I agree, they look pretty good to me.

Don't worry, I have the Rails / Sheffield Terrier on order so I shall certainly pose it alongside the Hornby one and see what their strengths and weaknesses might be.

Thanks for your good wishes.

Tony

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Tony,

A lovely collection of dining cars!

I also suffer from evostick under the cornice. I think the best approach is to let it dry thoughourly and then rub it off. Definitely don’t try to remove when wet as the paint comes off with it! How do I know this?......

All the best

Andy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, AVS1998 said:

Wow, those elder dining cars look amazing, especially in the fully lined livery. They must've been a sight to see in person. 

Does anyone know anything more about the older ones? I have a copy of the Model Railway Constructor which discusses the prototype a little and their alterations, including removal of the clerestory, and thus a conversion of the triang clerestory into the dining car, but I'd be interested to know more! 

(Highly doubtful they made it east of Portsmouth let alone Brighton, but a girl can dream!)

Keep up the good work, I really enjoy your updates and stock demonstrations.

- Alex 

Hi Alex

Assuming that you mean the first type shown, (No.7848), these were built new in 1913 and were the first LSWR dining cars not to have a clerestory roof - but they were not converted from older clerestory coaches.

(That does not mean of course, that a model could not be built out of a Triang clerestory, but I wouldn't know where to begin).

The best book covering these coaches is 'LSWR Carriages in the 20th Century' by G.R. Weddell (OPC); the coaches lasted until 1944 - 47, so there is always the possibility that during SR days they may have strayed beyond LSWR territory.

I am sure that someone on here will know the answer!

Tony

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A quick update on the lack of progress with my Maunsell Kitchen / Buffet conversion to d.2659; having reached the point of lettering and numbering it I discovered that I simply could not find the word "Buffet" in sunshine lettering (which according to Mike King was on the side of these vehicles) in any set of transfers.

SJPP516004602190516.jpg.59724e1ddfe53ab6cbd3306ea73b740c.jpg

I posted a plea for help elsewhere on RMWeb, because the word is missing from the HMRS sheets, whilst Fox have a BR version but I think it is in the wrong font; so far no-one has come up with an answer although several useful suggestions have been made.

So at present the coach is parked windowless in the siding outside the coach works, where it will remain until I can find a suitable "buffet"!

Otherwise the coach, which is sitting a slightly upgraded Hornby underframe, is almost finished with just a little work progressing to complete the interior.

I'll provide an update on the other unfinished project, the ex-LB&SCR E5-X tank, very soon.

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Tony,

The Buffet is looking good apart from the ‘buffet’ transfers. Is this the one you started when you came to visit me? You seem to have got rid of all the imperfections on the body side. It looks rather matt. Are you going to varnish after the transfers have all been applied?

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Andy

Yes it is - and I am most grateful for your original directions and support; I am aiming to kick off a couple more shortly once I have identified suitable donors.

I airbrushed the sides with Precision Paints malachite but I only had 'dull' available so I then applied a Tamiya aerosol gloss varnish before adding the decals - you can see just how glossy that gloss was!

I will certainly varnish again once I have solved the 'buffet' problem; normally I'd be going for matt but I think it needs glossing up a bit!

Tony

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

About time for an update!

Attention has been somewhat diverted from modelling over the past couple of weeks as I needed to prepare for two separate sets of visitors to the railway; being VIP's, I even hoovered the carpet on the stairs up to the railway room! (A skill that my lady wife was not aware that I had :unsure:).

On Stowe Magna shed, the ashpits were being tidied!

SJPP529001302190529.jpg.a08263c905e5cd5c94d0a079265fd4a0.jpg

Whilst nearby on Platform 1, additional milk supplies were being unloaded:

SJPP529001502190529.jpg.029ffc41b294fea6130d9de715a93bf2.jpg

My good friend Nigel was here on Tuesday and brought with him two delightful but diminutive shunters to run on the railway - the Hornby Peckett and the new Model Rail / Rapido Trains LNER ‘J70’; both performed impecketably with the excellent J70 having the edge due to its 6 driving wheels and considerable weight in the model.

Sadly I took no pictures so I shall have to invite him (them) back!

On Wednesday the railway played host to members of a local HMRS Area Group, and I am pleased to say that my worst fears that everything would go wrong, were unfounded! There were, however, one or two "operator errors" - I was talking too much!

Here is their transport being serviced at Churminster Southdown Bus Garage whilst they enjoyed the railway:

SJPP529001002190529.jpg.32652436a180707ecc85aaa494f839b9.jpg

It is always a pleasure to share the railway with visitors, just as it is to visit what others have produced - a great source of inspiration and motivation.

Once the visits were over I should have knuckled down and finished off one of the many half-completed projects that are in hand, but instead I opted to relax and build a couple of wagon kits!

SJPP531000402190531.jpg.de891c726a4f4f2f7b48ecb5173e66f4.jpg

I enjoy variety in my freight trains, and like others, I have a drawer full of kits that I will one day get around to; these are all "foreigners" to the Southern, being, from left to right, a Peco / Parkside private owner grain wagon and two Slaters LMS 8 ton vans each almost complete but unpainted.

I also started on a Cambrian Models LMS 6 ton fish van, although what this will be doing on SR metals I have no idea!

SJPP531000802190531.jpg.f6c036b4d28e57d95cdc58367bfd94f9.jpg

Perhaps it will run in the same train as these two Chivers 6-wheel LMS fish vans completed last year :dontknow: ?

SJPP531000702190531.jpg.9bf19b8ec95ac34fbad2488f1ec1e607.jpg

So now I have these wagons to complete, in addition to the Maunsell buffet and the E5-X loco!

I really must learn to be more disciplined!

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
To remove spurious picture
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

the Hornby Peckett and the new Model Rail / Rapido Trains LNER ‘J70’; both performed impecketably with the excellent J70 having the edge due to its 6 driving wheels and considerable weight in the model.

Almost missed that. Almost. :D:D

Progress is good, whatever it entails.

Note that you are my 800th post on this forum. Congratulations.

Edited by Mick Bonwick
Just noticed how many posts I've made.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

I even hoovered the carpet on the stairs up to the railway room! (A skill that my lady wife was not aware that I had :unsure:).

Oh dear, that's torn it.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Almost missed that. Almost. :D:D

Progress is good, whatever it entails.

Note that you are my 800th post on this forum. Congratulations.

Yes but I've made 812 !

Nah nah ne nah nah! :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I mentioned a couple of posts back that I find building wagon kits very theraputic, and given that one or two family health issues have stood in the way of much serious modelling - plus that I have a drawer full of unmade wagon kits - I have taken the opportunity to complete a couple more, plus repairing another pair that had been shunted into a siding.

SJPP612000202190612.jpg.530352dc30495f649baa2a993154734d.jpg

Most of these 8 are structurally complete and just waiting the paint shop, lettering and weathering, but a couple have details such as couplings or brake gear to be completed.

Looking along the line from the foreground, right to left, we have an LMS 12T van (d.1664) and an LMS 6T fish van (d.1885) both from Cambrian kits, then a Private Owner Grain wagon (Parkside), followed by two MR / LMS 8T covered vans from very old Slaters kits, picked up on Ebay. As you can tell, I like variety especially in my van trains!

Bringing up the rear are first, what was originally a Hornby circus van, and is now part-way through conversion into a NE / LNER 10T ventilated refrigerator van, followed by an SR 10T dropside wagon (d.1301), and finally an SR ballast plough & brake van to d.1748 which was acquired RTR from it's maker, Marc Models; it has a few problems which I am resolving, however the biggest is that whilst it is quite well painted & lettered, it is an Engineers Dept vehicle and should actually be in red oxide with Venetian red ends - so the question is, do I want to strip and re-paint it, or can I live with it?

I am undecided - but here they all are from the opposite end of the line:

SJPP612000302190612.jpg.1f78bf351b26d02784d3194a342d9e92.jpg

I am embarassed to mention that there are four more part-built kits currently on the workbench, by Slaters (x2), David Geen, and Maple Models and so I think that these will have to be cleared before all move into the paint shop  - but then I really must move on to completing my E5-X, and E4-X locos - the first of which has been in build for far too long!

Nevertheless, the unbuilt kit draw still contains much to go at, so it will get re-visited in due course!

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

After further efforts I have almost cleared the workbench of 'wagons in progress', including adding some of those from the cripple drawer; one wagon was scrapped in the process, as being not worth the effort - and probably cheaper to replace, if needed. One wagon - a Maple Models kit for an LSWR low sided van - remains on the bench as I will need to order some suitable underframe parts if it is to be completed. To be honest it is an awful kit, very much of its day, and made from brittle, semi-transparent resin but it is unusual, and so I will persevere for the time being!

Two Chivers LMS Low Low wagons turned up half finished in a drawer and these plus a Slaters MR / LMS 8T high sided coke wagon have now joined the line waiting for the paint shop:

SJPP615002302190615.jpg.853aa4d873b35ba84461b8fca842b3f9.jpg

Since then, some primer has been applied:

SJPP616000102190616.jpg.2a05bff1b24132a3266d75ca80bb62d8.jpg

and from the other end of what is now a rather longer queue:

SJPP616000802190616.jpg.11da4aa4c59535548c8b94db7c2617e5.jpg

So now we are down to top coats, lettering and then weathering; some of the LMS wagons will end up in bauxite and I did have a spray can of bauxite primer, but unfortunately it seemed to explode paint in all directions and had to go in the bin!

I remain undecided about the fate of the ballast plough - to strip and repaint, or live with it?

SJPP616000902190616.jpg.33edf75ad4f59d7281517e7eca97d83e.jpg

It seems a nice model!

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 11

On 06/10/2018 at 08:34, Tony Teague said:

Chris

There certainly seems to be a lot of interest in LSWR stock.

I looked at the Loddon L11 before finding he Martin Finney kit:

post-14629-0-11751500-1538811198_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your kind comments and continued support.

Tony

Same here, but modelling in N gauge means there's even less choice available. Especially for Drummond fans.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, CarriageShed said:

Same here, but modelling in N gauge means there's even less choice available. Especially for Drummond fans.

Sorry to hear that - I'm not really up to speed with what is and is not available in N - perhaps 3D printing might offer some answers?

Tony

2 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Sorry to hear that - I'm not really up to speed with what is and is not available in N - perhaps 3D printing might offer some answers?

Tony

There's the Union Mills wide-cab T9 with 6-wheel tender in N, which comes up quite well when lined and detailed. There's also the underpowered Dapol M7.

With a bit of hacking the T9 could produce an L11 even if the wheels are a little large, but there's no fully acceptable watercart available, or any other type of Drummond tender loco. 3D is definitely a promising way forward though, and I'm keeping a close eye on developments.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Jack P said:

Tony, 

Your rake is looking fantastic, it looks like we have both been working on similar things.

As for the ballast plow - Strip and repaint! :crazy_mini:

Jack

I am sure you are right!

I am just a bit reluctant because it looks pretty good as it is, but I shall have to bite the bullet as it will be running with a rake of large ballast hoppers which are already in the Engineers Dept livery.

Tony

• Like 1