Churminster & Stowe Magna, Southern Railway

Tony Teague

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KNP said:

I’ll get Jimmy to keep an eye out for it then....he does’t miss much!!!

No idea when it will arrive here at Little Muddle but as nighttime has arrived I expect it will pass through late morning tomorrow !!!! 

If it "passes through" Little Muddle we're in big trouble.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

It has been a busy week on the railway, and to balance the departure of 'Kneller Hall', our own "Up Parcels" train has returned from a brief visit to Mick Bonwick, who has managed to make it look really quite filthy! - I am delighted! :crazy:

Here are before & after shots - see if you can work out which is which!:

917618835_SJP2019-07-1318-01-24(BRadius8Smoothing4)02190713.jpg.6736e7162c1c4c7a97df808cd092f50e.jpg

992601840_SJP2019-10-2621-05-36(BRadius8Smoothing4)02191026.jpg.f0cc471b6e3f1979e262ce0b63bb96b6.jpg

I am particularly pleased with a number of the vans - a pair of LNER Pigeon Brakes:

SJPPA26007902191026.jpg.e988c3a909b5315168e31e01ef6c048a.jpg

A Southern gangwayed bogie luggage van:

SJPPA26007402191026.jpg.87bbd7c01b4e003b09958661b5c740d6.jpg

and a pair of LNER LMS fish vans:

SJPPA26007202191026.jpg.242a9d305fd98e44d435e8b283b87baa.jpg

There a still so many complete rakes to be weathered but each time one is completed it re-enforces my view that weathering is an essential part of making the railway look 'right'.

I'll post a picture of the loco later but with a bit of help from Mick, I have now reached the point where 20% of the loco fleet is weathered - carriages, NPCS, and wagons are nowhere near that level. :(

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
Posted it before I had finished!
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

23 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

Focus stacking at work!

You can't beat it, may be time consuming to carry out but the results speak for themselves.

You've set a president now so you must carry on...….!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

1 hour ago, KNP said:

And don't forget cropping, another powerful tool

Kevin

Nice crop!

Given that photography is my "other hobby" I am really very lazy when it comes to taking pictures of the train set!

I never worry about tripods or lighting - and it would be fair to say that it shows :(.

So I think I agree - "must try harder"!

Tony

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A little further progress at St Giles, Stowe Magna:

SJPPA27000302191027.jpg.796dc45ca7e0467e989d068efa90f4e1.jpg

The building is still in 4 main chunks!

The original downloadable Scalescenes template, on which this is based, includes internal wall coverings which I had decided to leave out, however, the windows are fairly transparent and at present most of the interior is very white, so I am vacillating!

SJPPA27000202191027.jpg.c788e1201f07ca5b4546f2d75c292e3e.jpg

Must decide before I put the roof on!

Tony

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, KNP said:

I'd paint it a sand colour to take the starkness off, if I maybe so bold!

You may be as bold as you like!

What you are seeing at present varies from completely unpainted - as per the white tops on the tower turrets - to undercoated elsewhere.

After the undercoat, I have added a 'mortar' coat on some but not all areas and beyond this I have prepared a sample colour card which shows the addition of each layer (left to right, 6 shown) that I intend adding using dry brushing:

SJPPA23000702191023.jpg.6786729d7b6659325c28bd8141d30955.jpg

Whether I go that far or perhaps further, remains to be seen!

Here is a shot of a similar looking church that I took a while back, which might be something like I'm aiming for:

SJPAB9A8112-Edit02170424.jpg.94b567607ac63ace81998849cf368150.jpg

It is the church of St John The Baptist at Stanford-on-Soar, Leicestershire.

Tony

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I am pleased to see that Churminster will appear in next month's edition of Horn*y Magazine; the pictures were taken some months ago and just show Churminster and the immediate area around it.

This is about 25% of the layout as a whole but I was not yet ready to show more, so I hope that this part makes sense on its own.

I am less happy about the picture they used in this month's magazine as a trailer - not my best side (if I have one) !

I shall have to consult my lawyers Messrs Sue Grabbit & B'stard as to whether my image rights have been infringed.:unsure:

Tony

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

I shall have to consult my lawyers Messrs Sue Grabbit & B'stard as to whether my image rights have been infringed.:unsure:

I'm inclined to agree with you there. It would have been better for all of us if your image lefts had been infringed. Much better.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

I am pleased to see that Churminster will appear in next month's edition of Horn*y Magazine; the pictures were taken some months ago and just show Churminster and the immediate area around it.

This is about 25% of the layout as a whole but I was not yet ready to show more, so I hope that this part makes sense on its own.

I am less happy about the picture they used in this month's magazine as a trailer - not my best side (if I have one) !

Tony

Great news - I was wondering when that was coming. Looking forward to it.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I'm inclined to agree with you there. It would have been better for all of us if your image lefts had been infringed. Much better.

The bad news is that he does have another shot from the other side - of me "using" an airbrush - its just as horrible so I hope he doesn't use it!

I can just imagine all of the comments from experts about how I am holding my instrument, etc! :crazy:

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, KNP said:

Very impressive.

Hope it comes with an operators manual, it all looks very complicated!!!

Its all done on the "two wire" principal - two wires to everything!

(And yes, it is all documented, it needs to be!)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

A couple of weeks back, the residents of Churminster and nearby Stowe Magna awoke to a dreadful prospect:

SJPPB18000102191118.jpg.36a6032d09f2f3efba8167238c2d0cb0.jpg

Yes, a rail-replacement bus service! - and for a whole week, no less.

So what had brought this about?

Well, long standing followers of this thread may remember that almost exactly three years ago I mentioned that a new Control Panel was being developed, with the help of Giles Walburn and John Freer, and that despite my impatience, they had persuaded me that we should start with a plywood top and paper template for the Panel, as they suggested that, during the development process, I might change my mind!

They were right of course, but having finally reached "stability" at version 26, :o I decided that it was finally time for us to go ahead with the new printed top - the tiny snag being that every single switch, push-button, LED and controller would have to be dropped out of the temporary top and re-fitted to the new one!:crazy:

So it was that on a Monday morning a couple of weeks back, we started to drop out the switches, buttons etc, until all we really had was a large boxful of tangled wires!

SJPPA28000102191028.jpg.7368112249aaa99ea635ef9a60517b0d.jpg

Having carefully planned this exercise down to the tiniest detail (NOT!), I am delighted to say that after only one day we had the old top free and the new one in position!

SJPPA28000502191028.jpg.cba428802621eff2621a1dd9e34434f3.jpg

It was then that the fun really started, as Giles cut holes to mount the 10 Gaugemaster controllers in place whilst I screwed bezels in place to fit the multitude of LED's into their new positions.

SJPPA31001002191031.jpg.8ec274c2f091114d90a483646c0aab8c.jpg

For the last two days of the week Giles had to work on his own, but I am delighted to say that every one of the 100 switches and 200 push buttons was in place and working by close of play on Friday, plus the first 40 of around 180 LEDs - and so the rail-relief bus service could be stood down and almost normal operations resumed - subject only to some hand signalling and temporary speed restrictions in place, until such time as the remaining indicator LEDs can be fitted to the panel - and some final cosmetic trimming completed.

A very significant step for the railway!

Tony

That looks mind blowingly complicated - I’m glad I went for DCC! With my messy wiring that would have looked even more ridiculous.

It now looks very smart...I just hope it works as efficiently as before the engineering works.

All the best

Andy

• Thanks 1