Churminster & Stowe Magna, Southern Railway

Tony Teague

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

That looks mind blowingly complicated - I’m glad I went for DCC! With my messy wiring that would have looked even more ridiculous.

It now looks very smart...I just hope it works as efficiently as before the engineering works.

All the best

Andy

Andy

The wiring is being tidied up during the process, and once all of the LED's are in place, operation should be a little bit simpler - but yes, it is already working properly.

Tony

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Chris Phillips said:

Hi Tony,

Photos of your control panel, and more to the point, the wiring underneath, is enough to give me nightmares !

Good luck my friend.

See you at Warley.

Chris

Sleep well !

See you at Warley.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished reading the article and very good it was along with some lovely supporting pictures.

The opening picture of the operator shows you clearly in control of all you survey though that panel still looks a bit daunting to me!!!

Great layout, can’t wait to see the rest of it

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, KNP said:

Just finished reading the article and very good it was along with some lovely supporting pictures.

The opening picture of the operator shows you clearly in control of all you survey though that panel still looks a bit daunting to me!!!

Great layout, can’t wait to see the rest of it

Thanks Kevin

"can’t wait to see the rest of it" - this might take a while!

Tony

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, sir douglas said:

i was looking at the article and thought "i'm sure ive seen this somewhere before, an rmweb thread maybe" and then it pops up now in new content and reminds me

well done

Unfortunately one cannot mention in a competing magazine that the layout is on RMWeb :o  otherwise I might have!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Well, overall I was very pleased with the way that Churminster looked in this month's (January cover date) edition of Hornby Magazine - aside obviously, from the picture of the gormless operator at the controls!

The majority of the pictures that Trevor Jones took back in February were used in the article, but three were not, and since I have his permission, I have shown them below as I feel they are worth exposing:

The first shows the courtyard within Geoff Taylor's excellent brewery complex, with the 2 horse-power brewery dray about to depart with another load of Wadleys Best Churminster Ale:

974425689_SJPPix1119-02-27_214742_MB_R4_S302190227.jpg.a898e6a68d04abc3c32387b0f1dcdd43.jpg

The second shot covers Churminster's industrial area, including the brewery, Barker's engineering, the Southdown bus garage, and the yard of the Wellard Timber Company:572848514_SJPPix919-02-27_215012_MB_R4_S302190227.jpg.55a4846a7e315fbbb0647c44c9dc8a77.jpg

I suspect that both of these may have been omitted as they don't include much railway content - well none, actually!

The third and last image shows Churminster Station, with an N15 and an H16 passing in opposite directions, the locoshed complex to the right and P class no.1555 shunting the goods yard entrance in the foreground:

329132998_SJPPix819-02-27_214450_MB_R4_S302190227.jpg.1f7b83a9fcfb549641687bd39b599afc.jpg

The modelling mojo has taken a bit of a hit recently as I have experienced two significant bereavements within a four week period, but I am hopeful that I might make a progress this coming week, perhaps inspired by a visit tomorrow to the Peterborough Show.

Tony

Tony, great photos. I must get hold of the mag. I’m going to Peterborough tomorrow, so will try and track you down for a coffee.

Andy

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Tony, great photos. I must get hold of the mag. I’m going to Peterborough tomorrow, so will try and track you down for a coffee.

Andy

Happy to devalue your copy by signing it if wanted!

See you there

Tony

• Like 1

"A couple of weeks back, the residents of Churminster and nearby Stowe Magna awoke to a dreadful prospect:"

I thought this referred to the bus advert related to the continuing availability of Watney's beers!

Arun

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Arun Sharma said:

"A couple of weeks back, the residents of Churminster and nearby Stowe Magna awoke to a dreadful prospect:"

I thought this referred to the bus advert related to the continuing availability of Watney's beers!

Arun

I think its actually a mis-spelling for Wadleys!

• RMweb Gold

You might think that this was the Christmas light display at Churminster:

SJPPC13001302191213.jpg.f1b76ecd0f0563748dd4cec74838ecc8.jpg

....but no, it shows unfitted LEDs hanging out the side of the Control Panel:

SJPPC13001702191213.jpg.47ec59654cf45a75b43fac214d375922.jpg

It is fair to say that everything works, the lights change from red to green or go on and off - it's just that it is impossible to know what they are telling you!

Nevertheless the new Panel is looking great and I shall just be very glad when all of the remaining LED's are back in place.

SJPPC13001902191213.jpg.9663d3f36a4e8f6e2b4468d7f40ad000.jpg

After an enjoyable visit to the Peterborough Show I have slowly been re-discovering my "modelling mojo", and is often the case, I have been regaining it by building a couple of wagon kits - I find this therapeutic:

SJPPC13000602191213.jpg.53cd2818cd428336f1cc0d3ccf0b3b4d.jpg

Nothing particularly unusual this time, I started with a pair of Ratio kits no.593 = SR 12T plywood sided box vans to d.1452, which are now ready for the paint shop, and then went on to a pair of Peco / Parkside PC64 GWR 'Beetle' d.109 prize cattle vans - which require a little more work to complete:

SJPPC13000802191213.jpg.e989653c0498319c675fd73317e17607.jpg

Both kits went together quickly and easily.

SJPPC13000402191213.jpg.b5bd2e8752a86cd99673e2b6ef74b29e.jpg

They are all seen standing in the headshunt for Churminster Goods yard, alongside the two recently delivered d.1424 ex-SECR Box Vans from rails of Sheffield / Dapol; the latter are 3D printed and have been reviewed elsewhere. I think they are excellent:

SJPPC13001002191213.jpg.ddb90c2a2428191327c89116b32fc2e5.jpg

From 'normal viewing distance' it is certainly impossible to see any 'striations' from the 3D printing process, which I feel is a big step forward; the roofs need urgent weathering!

Tony

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

17 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

You might think that this was the Christmas light display at Churminster:

SJPPC13001302191213.jpg.f1b76ecd0f0563748dd4cec74838ecc8.jpg

....but no, it shows unfitted LEDs hanging out the side of the Control Panel:

SJPPC13001702191213.jpg.47ec59654cf45a75b43fac214d375922.jpg

It is fair to say that everything works, the lights change from red to green or go on and off - it's just that it is impossible to know what they are telling you!

Nevertheless the new Panel is looking great and I shall just be very glad when all of the remaining LED's are back in place.

SJPPC13001902191213.jpg.9663d3f36a4e8f6e2b4468d7f40ad000.jpg

After an enjoyable visit to the Peterborough Show I have slowly been re-discovering my "modelling mojo", and is often the case, I have been regaining it by building a couple of wagon kits - I find this therapeutic:

SJPPC13000602191213.jpg.53cd2818cd428336f1cc0d3ccf0b3b4d.jpg

Nothing particularly unusual this time, I started with a pair of Ratio kits no.593 = SR 12T plywood sided box vans to d.1452, which are now ready for the paint shop, and then went on to a pair of Peco / Parkside PC64 GWR 'Beetle' d.109 prize cattle vans - which require a little more work to complete:

SJPPC13000802191213.jpg.e989653c0498319c675fd73317e17607.jpg

Both kits went together quickly and easily.

SJPPC13000402191213.jpg.b5bd2e8752a86cd99673e2b6ef74b29e.jpg

They are all seen standing in the headshunt for Churminster Goods yard, alongside the two recently delivered d.1424 ex-SECR Box Vans from rails of Sheffield / Dapol; the latter are 3D printed and have been reviewed elsewhere. I think they are excellent:

SJPPC13001002191213.jpg.ddb90c2a2428191327c89116b32fc2e5.jpg

From 'normal viewing distance' it is certainly impossible to see any 'striations' from the 3D printing process, which I feel is a big step forward; the roofs need urgent weathering!

Tony

Splendid stuff, Tony,

I'm delighted you're getting back into modelling.

Anything you've got, loco-wise, which needs a tweak, please bring it along on Tuesday. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

13 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Splendid stuff, Tony,

I'm delighted you're getting back into modelling.

Anything you've got, loco-wise, which needs a tweak, please bring it along on Tuesday. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Well thank you Tony!

...and I certainly shall.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Its that time of the year when I suppose one should look back at what has and has not been achieved! :rolleyes:

Review of 2019 - 1. Locomotives

Overall it has not been a particularly inspiring year, and certainly not a happy one, because as some of you know, I spent a good part of it caring for my late wife Rebecca during her battle with a very aggressive cancer; a battle that she sadly lost in November, nevertheless some progress was made in between times.

Against that background, and after a pretty successful 2018, I optimistically divided up my priorities for 2019 in a January post, between the locomotives, rolling stock, scenery and control systems, so over the next few days I will look at each of these in turn.

Looking at the loco fleet first:

"Missing Locos"

In January, the Drummond L12 had just been added to the operational fleet after a long gestation, but there were still 15 "missing locos" on my target list; I felt that I had solutions for each of these, but this is what I thought about each in January '19, and what has happened since:

SECR Kirtley R - an SEF kit long in build (by me), the chassis was complete and body part built; I intended to finish it, but have not touched it!

SECR Wainwright F1- Jidenco kit held but builder not yet confirmed - way beyond me! - (likely to be difficult / lacking accuracy); SER Kits have design and drawings in hand for a 7mm kit which they are prepared to scale down to produce 4mm etches; no change

SECR Wainwright B1- a Jidenco kit exists but I can't find one (and it may not be that great!); alternate solution to await production of SER Kits etches (but not a quick solution)

LB&SCR Billinton B4X - potential solution through a 3D printed body under exploration; no change
LB&SCR Marsh C3 - design & drawings now in hand for delivery of a 'kit of parts'; no change, although I believe that progress is being made with design

LSWR Drummond C14  - I had identified an alternate supplier and I have since seen the test etches which should be built & delivered during 2020

LB&SCR Marsh D3X - potential solution through an intended 3D printed body, chassis still to be sourced; have recently acquired a Chivers D3 kit as a source for the chassis
LB&SCR Billinton E4X - design in hand for a 3D printed body to fit an RTR Bachmann E4 chassis; this was delivered, built, painted and is now in the operational fleet!

SJPP718000517190718.jpg.fd4d8222d11b2c6fd509c474e20382a7.jpg

LB&SCR Billinton E5-X - the 3D printed body plus a chassis kit were in hand in January but no progress has been made since

SR Maunsell I1X - potential solution through a 3D printed body under exploration + Alan Gibson milled chassis frames in hand; no change
KESR 0-8-0T Hecate - supplier identified who will take this forward; test etches since seen, and should be built & delivered during 2020

LSWR Drummond S11 - further set of L12 body parts in hand (think T9 with large boiler & smaller wheels); no change

Soton Dock Co. 0458 - possible solution to modify CSP Agenoria kit CSP 04 identified & kit now obtained; no change

SR DS75 - solution identified involving newly designed & drawn etches / castings; no change

SR Fowler diesel shunter - supplier identified who will take this forward; model designed, built and delivered by Mike Edge; now in the operational fleet!

SJPP817000302190817.jpg.3a8ab5660622e74a26570920ae1f724a.jpg

In addition to the above there were a small number of RTR additions to stock, including the OO Works K10, the Hornby Lord Nelson and the Hornby Peckett (for the quarry / cement works!).

So the "missing loco" list has reduced by only 2 to 13, however, at least 5 of those that remain look like strong contenders for 2020 and so delivering these will be a priority for the new year.

Rather more progress has been made on the weathering front; at the beginning of 2019 the number of locos weathered certainly less than 10% of the fleet, but this has doubled to around 20% - it remains a key objective to work through the whole fleet as time permits.

I will cover rolling stock in my next post.

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
Updated as the loco list had not been based on the most recent version
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

Tony,

I'm terribly sorry to hear of the passing of your wife - Wishing you the merriest Christmas possible from the other side of the world :drink_mini:

1 hour ago, Tony Teague said:

LSWR Drummond C14  - I had identified an alternate supplier and I have since seen the test etches which should be built & delivered during 2020

Very interested in this, are you allowed to share more details of where/who it's coming from? (and will they be available to purchase?) 

Jack

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Review of 2019 - 2. Coaching & NPCS stock

Whilst I am about it, let's turn to coaching & NPCS stock, where, at the start of the year I suggested that the aim was to get some existing stock back into operation through replacing Kadee couplings that had proved troublesome; weathering would also be a priority.

Quite soon after, a 2-car set (No.74) and a 3-car set (No.770), both being Bulleid West of England sets, were dealt with but the Ironclad and Maunsell Ocean Liner Sets remain out of service at present. Later in the year, two of the new Hornby Bulleid 59' sets, Nos. 965 and 973 arrived, so there has been a significant increase in Bulleid stock in the operational fleet.

SJPP111000502190111.jpg.1056d80856e168b3ffe786d8d39ef2bb.jpg

Sets 74 and 770 are already lightly weathered but no further coach weathering was completed in the period - but see NPCS below.

In mid-year I almost completed my first coach conversion using replacement sides to produce a Maunsell d.2659 Kitchen / Buffet car; this went reasonably well (and I have more to do!) but the coach remains incomplete and unglazed at present due to a lack of correct transfers.

SJPP516004602190516.jpg.2f4bee06cc02d8f285bccee8f0cf31e1.jpg

Weathering progress in the area of NPCS was somewhat better, since Mick Bonwick very kindly stepped in and weathered a complete parcels train for me: 

image.png.8d5016f1a250bc10abd82daaef9e8d72.png

It certainly now looks "the business" and shows up some of the untreated stock!

Turning to 2020, the priority has to again be weathering, plus getting those two rakes with dodgy couplings back into service.

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Jack P said:

I'm terribly sorry to hear of the passing of your wife - Wishing you the merriest Christmas possible from the other side of the world :drink_mini:

Very interested in this, are you allowed to share more details of where/who it's coming from? (and will they be available to purchase?) 

Jack

Jack

Thanks, very kind; everyone has been most sympathetic, and I should say that without Rebecca's active encouragement and support the train set would never have come so far. I am slowly getting used to the way things will be in future and working at recovering the "modelling mojo".

Yes, Mike Edge is developing both the C14 and Hecate; he had the test etches for each of these with him at Warley in November and both will eventually emerge in the Judith Edge range. Please bear in mind, however, that he has numerous other projects underway and so no date has been given, nor have I asked for one.

Tony

• Friendly/supportive 8