Churminster & Stowe Magna, Southern Railway

Tony Teague

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, jamespetts said:

What splendid signals! I do like a good bit of signalling.

Incidentally, how did you get on with the Lord Nelson smoke deflectors in the end?

I regret they are still on by roundtuit pile!

But I think they look good - and I promise to post a picture when I get there.

Tony

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 07/02/2020 at 23:22, jamespetts said:

I shall look forward to it!

Spurred on by your question I have fitted the 3D printed smoke deflectors to No.851 'Sir Francis Drake' - and I think they the part!

SJPP216002402200216.jpg.dbe76ea4321440d55826585a6250031e.jpg

This is a fairly cruel close up and yes, you can see some roughness, but as a layout loco I think it looks fine; I'm sure that one could do better with etched deflectors but I don't know of any that are available and in the absence of Hornby producing a deflector fitted model for my particular era, these fill the void.

1123141069_SJP2020-02-1620-23-49(BRadius8Smoothing4)02200216.jpg.f468dac799f19ea484ea290d4f964e4b.jpg

The loco now needs weathering and I also feel that the nameplates as fitted and cabside ovals as printed are really not up to scratch so I have ordered some replacements from Fox.

1522294379_SJP2020-02-1620-20-11(BRadius8Smoothing4)02200216.jpg.4c9f40cc231e0650af3f9a2991390e72.jpg

Here is a comparison with the old Bachmann model, and at this distance the printed smoke deflectors on No.851 do not stand out at all:

SJPP216002802200216.jpg.50c3fecfadbbd5705bba02a127eb4506.jpg

With hindsight, I think the high-sided tender is wrong (on No.861) for a loco in olive livery, but it will be consigned to the great scrap-heap in the sky at some point soon, so I don't intend dealing with it!

SJPP216002902200216.jpg.5a246718ff831a1287d2f49991357ba0.jpg

The livery, tender and small chimney on No.851 are correct for the period up to  June 1939.

Next I hope to be able to report on the long overdue completion of the re-building of St Giles Church, Stowe Magna.

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

36 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

in the absence of Hornby producing a deflector fitted model for my particular era, these fill the void

Oh but Mr Teague, (with some creative re-imagining) they DO! 

49523677037_93b151f5df_b.jpg

However as you're a busy man, with plenty already on your plate - this might suit you better: https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/locomotives/locomotives-by-class/lord-nelson-class/sr-lord-nelson-class-4-6-0-864-sir-martin-frobisher-era-3.html

Looking good as usual though! 

• Like 1

Excellent! I am glad that these are working for you. The actual Hornby one will be better, I am sure, but I believe that quite a few of these models remain unsold (I am considering buying another one at a good price), so I suspect that Hornby will not be issuing a re-release of this class in olive green any time soon.

As to the high sided tender, I believe that I have seen a picture from circa 1939 of a Lord Nelson with the olive green livery and the high sided tender, so I am not sure that it is strictly wrong, but I imagine that they will not have been in this condition for long. I am not sure whether 861 ever carried this combination, however.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Jack P said:

Oh but Mr Teague, (with some creative re-imagining) they DO! 

49523677037_93b151f5df_b.jpg

However as you're a busy man, with plenty already on your plate - this might suit you better: https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/locomotives/locomotives-by-class/lord-nelson-class/sr-lord-nelson-class-4-6-0-864-sir-martin-frobisher-era-3.html

Looking good as usual though! 

Don't worry Jack, I have two more yet to emerge in black, plus No.864 is on order!

(but I like what you have done) :D

So far I have yet to duplicate the numbers of any of my Bachmann and Craftsman examples, but that will certainly come and the old Bachmann models are certainly starting to look their age.

Tony

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

It was last September when I first reported on the proposed rebuilding of St Giles Church, Stowe Magna, and then at the year end I showed what looked to be an almost complete building that just lacked final weathering - however, as is often the case with major projects, I hit a few snags!

SJPP212000102200212.jpg.cf1e51b487cf09391cce56ce79232ca7.jpg

In particular, I had decided to use embossed card for the roof - because it had looked OK when used on Churminster Goods Shed, but at St Giles, I needed to add a small fillet of material along the join between the roof and the walls, and when I did this in Das clay I found it impossible to clean up properly because using water caused the card roof to laminate.

I tried to paint very lightly over the mess, and later to hide it by applying weathering powders to the roof but these simply highlighted the mess - so in the end, the roof came off and was replaced with embossed Slaters plasticard which coped far better with the clay fillet - but all of this has taken time and caused frustration. :mad_mini:

To make matters worse, my pet hate is doing things twice, so for a long time I left the model untouched.

SJPP217000102200217.jpg.01dd3300a5faaa5993fa44922a2a747c.jpg

Nevertheless it is now just about finished, aside from bedding it in to the newly extended churchyard and resurrecting the vicar - the Very Rev. Hippolytus Swarthy, the choir, the hearse & funeral procession, and re-planting the trees and numerous gravestones that were uprooted in the process!

Oh, and then there is connecting up the internal lighting and loudspeaker which will enable the sound of anything from the Funeral March to gospel music to be played according to the vicar's whim!

SJPP217000302200217.jpg.98500e7ce20b064e328489bef6f0b2b2.jpg

Despite those difficulties, it has been an interesting project - my largest scratch-build to date - and since the newly painted backscenes are already in place behind it, this end of Stowe Magna can now be finished off, enabling work to move on down the hill towards a much-needed refurbishment of Stowe Magna Station.

I will post some further pictures once the churchyard is scenically complete, and perhaps a nightime shot showing the church illuminated from within.

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

It was last September when I first reported on the proposed rebuilding of St Giles Church, Stowe Magna, and then at the year end I showed what looked to be an almost complete building that just lacked final weathering - however, as is often the case with major projects, I hit a few snags! :mad:

SJPP212000102200212.jpg.99b993297830a703154c2a019481628e.jpg

In particular, I had decided to use embossed card for the roof - because it had looked OK when used on Churminster Goods Shed, but at St Giles, I needed to add a small fillet of material along the join between the roof and the walls, and when I did this in Das clay I found it impossible to clean up properly because using water caused the card roof to laminate.

I tried to paint very lightly over the mess, and later to hide it by applying weathering powders to the roof but these simply highlighted the mess - so in the end, the roof came off and was replaced with embossed Slaters plasticard which coped far better with the clay fillet - but all of this has taken time and caused frustration. :mad_mini:

To make matters worse, my pet hate is doing things twice, so for a long time I left the model untouched.

SJPP217000102200217.jpg.60389d37c86aaf08973d998d67ea7c10.jpg

Nevertheless it is now just about finished, aside from bedding it in to the newly extended churchyard and resurrecting the vicar - the Very Rev. Hippolytus Swarthy, the choir, the hearse & funeral procession, and re-planting the trees and numerous gravestones that were uprooted in the process!

Oh, and then there is connecting up the internal lighting and loudspeaker which will enable the sound of anything from the Funeral March to gospel music to be played according to the vicar's whim!

SJPP217000302200217.jpg.edeaa8bb2d32f3b8fe7a2628599d71c9.jpg

Despite those difficulties, it has been an interesting project - my largest scratch-build to date - and since the newly painted backscenes are already in place behind it, this end of Stowe Magna can now be finished off, enabling work to move on down the hill towards a much-needed refurbishment of Stowe Magna Station.

I will post some further pictures once the churchyard is scenically complete, and perhaps a nightime shot showing the church illuminated from within.

Tony

Very nice Tony - but I do miss the dear old SuperQuick one...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Since normal life has, to all intents, been postponed, I have taken the opportunity to spend more time in the railway room.

I had become a bit frustrated with the unfinished state of the Control Desk and, once it became clear that Giles who normally helps me with such things, was unlikely to be able to visit for another 3 months, I decided that there was nothing for it but for me to get on with it myself.

The Panel as I designed it requires some 232 LED's and by the end of our last working session, Giles and I had fitted around 130 of these - so about 100 to go, and needless to say, they were the most complex ones to wire!

SJPP320000102200320.jpg.0ee0eb82349be1d86abda024db30ca0f.jpg

This week I have managed to wire in around 55 of those that remain, so 40+ to go, of which about a dozen relate to the narrow gauge line which is as yet unfinished - so I am making good progress!

Long standing followers of the thread will note that in fitting the new panel, I have changed the red LEDs which indicated track occupancy in the storage roads to blue, because I found that in some areas the reds were easily confused with the red / green bi-colour LEDs on the track diagram, which indicate route setting, rather than track occupancy.

In an effort to make matters just a little more difficult, I had changed the specification from 5mm to 3mm LED's for the route indicating lights, and this also meant changing the bi-colour LEDs from 3-wire to 2-wire. Those who understand electrickery will appreciate that this also involved re-wiring the way that each of these was triggered, and thus the time taken to complete the job!

SJPP320000502200320.jpg.e75bfd652629a2dd82434f09b3f82125.jpg

The Control Desk is now beginning to look the part, and I have also taken the opportunity to re-configure the use of the blue DCC Concepts levers at the front, so as to prepare them for the installation of semaphore signalling to parts of the layout in due course.

After all of that I'd like to run some trains, but there are a few related changes that must be made out on the layout before I am able to get back to that particular pleasure!

Nevertheless, it looks like I should have plenty of time to get it all done....

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

• RMweb Gold

Managed to scoop away all of the mash so as to deliver on Mick's request - perhaps more like spaghetti than mashed potato!

SJPP321000202200321.jpg.a53932f04b4d4775043b963213b0d635.jpg

The wires hanging over the sides are the few that remain to be re-connected.

Interestingly the re-wiring from 3-wire to 2-wire LED's has actually simplified and reduced the amount of wire inside the box, despite many of the cabling runs having to be replaced.

Talking of mashed potato:

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Teague said:

Managed to scoop away all of the mash so as to deliver on Mick's request - perhaps more like spaghetti than mashed potato!

SJPP321000202200321.jpg.b20853a28ecb11ad06b65cfc91208dfa.jpg

The wires hanging over the sides are the few that remain to be re-connected.

Interestingly the re-wiring from 3-wire to 2-wire LED's has actually simplified and reduced the amount of wire inside the box, despite many of the cabling runs having to be replaced.

Tony

Now that is scary!

Edited by DLT
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/03/2020 at 14:39, Tony Teague said:

-

-

-

-

The Control Desk is now beginning to look the part, and I have also taken the opportunity to re-configure the use of the blue DCC Concepts levers at the front, so as to prepare them for the installation of semaphore signalling to parts of the layout in due course.

-

-

Tony

In due course.....

Here are the Churminster signals, currently "self isolating" in my shed!

To be delivered and installed, but when???????????????

Steve.

Edited by Steve Hewitt
Correction to Video.
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

Well I allowed myself a two day break from the LED soldering and did other things but I was back today and am now down to the last 20 which feels better!

Once I have finished that job - or perhaps next time I am bored with it - there are a couple of things I particularly want to progress, one being the churchyard to St Giles Church but the other being to complete my first ever brass coach construction:

SJPP326000703200326.jpg.63f19ca4509cf47e2961b424ecec8cef.jpg

This is an ex-LSWR 6-wheel brake which I chose (along with two others) after extensive research into what was needed to make up a breakdown train of the period that I model, to run with Bachmann's excellent breakdown crane. Such coaches are only available as kits and so although I had tried brass kit-building once before, I gave up fairly quickly!

With that in mind I enrolled on the 4mm kit making course at Missenden Abbey and recently spent a couple of very enjoyable days there, being 'tuted' by Tim Watson and Tony Gee. The pictures show where I got to over the weekend - the body is largely complete and so I now need to move onto the 6 wheel chassis.

SJPP326000302200326.jpg.8b7719f71738f1c9d2f6461ab330da57.jpg

After this there are two ex-LB&SCR 54' bogie coaches to complete the rake!

Please be kind with your comments - it is my first attempt!

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4