Churminster & Stowe Magna, Southern Railway

Tony Teague

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

'Ere! Some bloke's written an article about a brewery wot looks just like yours! BRM May 2020. I'd have words if I woz you.

Really!

If I find out who dunnit......:banghead:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Actually....

Glad they corrected the spelling mistake that I spotted before it went to press!

I'm really pleased with Andy York's images and actually there are a small number that didn't get used; at the risk of upsetting the Chief Mod, here is just one:

SJPWadleys_102200227.jpg.f4858d8b844ecd8748f8f0cd6dfbf166.jpg

I'll post some more if he doesn't get too cross!

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold
On 17/04/2020 at 22:40, Mick Bonwick said:

Just do it!

On 18/04/2020 at 06:18, Jack P said:

I agree with Mick, do it!

Talk about "incitement to civil disobedience!

Well I did PM him for permission but he hasn't replied- hope he remains well.

So I'll do this very quietly...

SJPWadleys_1402200227.jpg.48dc75d2af3904b1f68fb67f6f889bb9.jpg

The Churminster Shedmaster has used visiting Fowler 150hp No.400S to shunt the brewery siding.

Seen here exiting along the road behind Churminster Goods Shed.

(The previous shot taken from across the cobbled access road at the rear of the same building).

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Just received this from an American friend - and it 'kinda resonates':

"My Self-Isolation Quarantine Diary

Day 1 – I Can Do This!!  Got enough food and wine to last a month!
Day 2 – Opening my 8th bottle of Wine.  I fear wine supplies might not last!
Day 3 – Strawberries:  Some have 210 seeds, some have 235 seeds.  Who Knew??
Day 4 – 8:00 pm.  Removed my Day Pajamas and put on my Night Pajamas.
Day 5 – Today, I tried to make Hand Sanitizer.  It came out as Jello Shots!!
Day 6 – I get to take the Garbage out.  I’m So excited, I can’t decide what to wear.
Day 7 – Laughing way too much at my own jokes!!
Day 8 – Went to a new restaurant called “The Kitchen”.  You have to gather all the ingredients and make your own meal.  I have No clue how this place is still in business.
Day 9 – I put liquor bottles in every room.  Tonight, I’m getting all dressed up and going Bar hopping.
Day 10 – Struck up a conversation with a Spider today.  Seems nice.  He’s a Web Designer.
Day 11 – Isolation is hard.  I swear my fridge just said, “What the hell do you want now?”
Day 12 – I realized why dogs get so excited about something moving outside, going for walks or car rides.  I think I just barked at a squirrel.
Day 13 – If you keep a glass of wine in each hand, you can’t accidently touch your face.
Day 14 – Watched the birds fight over a worm.  The  Cardinals lead the Blue Jays 3–1.
Day 15 – Anybody else feel like they’ve cooked dinner about 395 times this month?”

Tony

• Like 5
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mick Bonwick said:

It's a good job the beer isn't in crates!

1 hour ago, KNP said:

Very nice pictures, now all you have to do is shift the beer!

Thanks - actually there are some crates, I remember painting them, but I can't for the life remember where I put them!

Perhaps that's good, otherwise I might have to drink them!

Tony

• Funny 2

On 20/04/2020 at 11:41, Tony Teague said:

Just received this from an American friend - and it 'kinda resonates':

"My Self-Isolation Quarantine Diary

Day 1 – I Can Do This!!  Got enough food and wine to last a month!
Day 2 – Opening my 8th bottle of Wine.  I fear wine supplies might not last!
Day 3 – Strawberries:  Some have 210 seeds, some have 235 seeds.  Who Knew??
Day 4 – 8:00 pm.  Removed my Day Pajamas and put on my Night Pajamas.
Day 5 – Today, I tried to make Hand Sanitizer.  It came out as Jello Shots!!
Day 6 – I get to take the Garbage out.  I’m So excited, I can’t decide what to wear.
Day 7 – Laughing way too much at my own jokes!!
Day 8 – Went to a new restaurant called “The Kitchen”.  You have to gather all the ingredients and make your own meal.  I have No clue how this place is still in business.
Day 9 – I put liquor bottles in every room.  Tonight, I’m getting all dressed up and going Bar hopping.
Day 10 – Struck up a conversation with a Spider today.  Seems nice.  He’s a Web Designer.
Day 11 – Isolation is hard.  I swear my fridge just said, “What the hell do you want now?”
Day 12 – I realized why dogs get so excited about something moving outside, going for walks or car rides.  I think I just barked at a squirrel.
Day 13 – If you keep a glass of wine in each hand, you can’t accidently touch your face.
Day 14 – Watched the birds fight over a worm.  The  Cardinals lead the Blue Jays 3–1.
Day 15 – Anybody else feel like they’ve cooked dinner about 395 times this month?”

Tony

Love that, made my family laugh.

Thanks for posting.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

There are a few more gravestones, some trees and a bit of shrubbery to go, but overall, I think it is an improvement!

Can't disagree with that. The trees make a big difference, and I like the stile in the wall.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Now that's what I call productive! Splendid achievement despite your frustrations and the weather. You're right about the weathering. :D

I'm looking forward to the new churchyard completion. And seeing a complete control panel. And watching weathered trains go by. And . . . . . . .

:good:

• Thanks 1

They all look splendid and when weathered will look even better.

I look forward to seeing a video of weathered trains rattling past and the control panel in full operation with switches and lights glowing.

Like you, I'm getting all those 'silly' little jobs done that I put off for a rainy day or just couldn't be bothered to do so got on with something else....

Keep smiling and keep safe.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The nine wagons / vans that I showed the other day have duly been "dullcoated" and accepted into the operational fleet; I won't show them again until such time as they have been weathered - which could be several years!

In the same post, I mentioned in passing the two incomplete brake vans that remained outstanding and it seems that I first referred to the incorrect livery of the SR Ballast Plough & Brake Van last June! - 11 months and 10 pages ago!

SJPP616000902190616.jpg.2bcefb784c4e18eb6d5b359cf99cad3b.jpg

At the time, I was urged to repaint it, as it should be in the Engineers Department livery with bauxite sides and vermillion ends - so in due course I set about this but soon found that the vermillion and bauxite paints that I had looked exactly the same!

SJPP803001702190803.jpg.509cbf703ac415c5519d25f6590a38d6.jpg

After life and various other tasks intervened, I eventually found a darker bauxite that in my view had sufficient contrast with "SR Vermillion" to go ahead, and so the job is now (almost) finally done:

SJPP506000702200506.jpg.e6e8ded25e0cba2806c8f40516896d03.jpg

Here she is leaving the sidings adjacent to Churminster Station with a short Engineer's train:

SJPP506000502200506.jpg.cf9005e5d6baac9972897bc8cc36737c.jpg

OMG !! No lamps!

I said (almost) complete because there are two things left to do, and one problem to solve; the first, very simple, job will be to add a tail lamp and a guard, whilst the second is slightly more complex in that the model is missing a set of lower step boards that the prototype had, so these will need to be fabricated.

I have posted the problem that needs solving on another thread as I have run out of ideas how to do it, but I shall repeat it here.

The body of the van is held to the chassis by two 8BA bolts that screw into captive nuts soldered inside the floor within the end vestibules of the van; one of these nuts has come unsoldered and despite several attempts, involving cocktail sticks, immense heat and unsavoury language, and ultimately a piercing saw to remove a bolt that I had soldered to a nut although neither were fixed to the bodywork, I have not succeeded.

SJPP506000102200506.jpg.1ae3b62b5f9c2a2d1e390c65f0f5c590.jpg

The location of the fixing is shown above and below; the captive nut is almost completely inaccessible and I do not want to take the van to bits!

SJPP506000202200506.jpg.1b9eccd7481280cf229134cd041032eb.jpg

I can of course run the van with only one screw holding it together, but ideally I'd like to find a solution - all ideas welcome!

Nevertheless, despite this issue I think that on balance it has been worthwhile to re-livery the brake as it is an unusual prototype.

SJPP506000802200506.jpg.f15bd5dc65bbaf23194588c6f2b5ea0e.jpg

Tony

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tony,

Two suggestions for the elusive nut.

1.  Clean the seating for the nut thoroughly, similarly the mating surface of a Brass 8BA nut.

Tin the Brass nut and its seating. (If possible)

Use a Steel 8BA bolt and blacken it with Gun Blue.

Apply oil to the bolt thread and use it to lock the nut in place.

Apply heat to the accessible surface adjacent to the bolt head, cross fingers and count to not very many.

2. Recreate a copy of the captive nut on a small piece of brass.

Use epoxy glue to attach this where required, and use a bolt to hold it in place until the glue has cured.

Good luck,

Steve.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KNP said:

Can you make a lip that the unscrewed end slides into then held in place with the screwed end?

1 hour ago, Steve Hewitt said:

Hi Tony,

Two suggestions for the elusive nut.

1.  Clean the seating for the nut thoroughly, similarly the mating surface of a Brass 8BA nut.

Tin the Brass nut and its seating. (If possible)

Use a Steel 8BA bolt and blacken it with Gun Blue.

Apply oil to the bolt thread and use it to lock the nut in place.

Apply heat to the accessible surface adjacent to the bolt head, cross fingers and count to not very many.

2. Recreate a copy of the captive nut on a small piece of brass.

Use epoxy glue to attach this where required, and use a bolt to hold it in place until the glue has cured.

Good luck,

Steve.

Kevin, Steve

Both helpful suggestions which I shall chew on, before having a go in the morning.

Thanks!

Tony

• Like 1