Churminster & Stowe Magna, Southern Railway

Tony Teague

Looks like you need a very small Spire nut / J-Nut / U-nut.    I've seen them M3, but a #4 self-tap type might be a crude solution too.

Alternately, epoxy a short 8ba screw in place from the top, and put the nut on from underneath?  Tricky access, but probably possible - bit of loctite or dab of cyano will stop the nut falling.

Edited by FoxUnpopuli
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

In case it is of any interest or use to anyone, I will just report that I have added an index to the whole thread into the first, original post on it.

It is mainly for my own reference as I can't ever find things, so as avoid duplication or contradicting myself! - but it may come in handy to others.

Now the issue will be keeping it up to date......:mda:

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've not posted any progress reports for a couple of weeks but I have been making a determined effort to finish off the biggest of the four jobs that I listed a little while ago - re-wiring the Control Panel LED's. It has certainly prevented me from doing much else but I am much relieved to say that the job is finally finished!

SJPP521000302200521.jpg.4c4badfbbbcb0a07c5c608598003b1f0.jpg

Well, when I say finished....

1. There will be some connections to be made when semaphore signalling is installed in two phases, in due course - but all of the control aspects are already provided for
  2. The narrow gauge line that runs between the quarry and the RAF base is not yet operational; it will run on a shuttle module, but again provision for a number of indicator LEDs has been made and they will just need to be connected
  3. Three faults outside of the panel that determine what it shows (or doesn't show) have emerged during the re=fit and these now need snagging
  4. There is a small amount of cosmetic trim to be fitted, notably around the lever frame at the front, which will get done when lockdown is over

Overall I am delighted with the outcome and very pleased to have completed something which (in terms of fitting the new Panel top) were started back at the end of last October!

Feels like it is time to run some trains!

Tony

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

Overall I am delighted with the outcome and very pleased to have completed something which (in terms of fitting the new Panel top) were started back at the end of last October!

Hooray! Excellent achievement.

Run lots of trains! :good:

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, jamespetts said:

Gosh, that is an impressive panel! How many operators will this layout need?

It's designed so that it can all be operated by one person - which is why it all comes together in one place (and is so complicated!), HOWEVER.....

Since I started building this in the dim and distant past, I have realised that sometimes others might want to join in - so my first modification was to add walkabout controllers at either side of the panel, from which you can control the respective shed and shunt the adjoining yard, however, you do have to make use of "your end of the panel" in order to control points etc - there is no duplication of levers or switches. Control can be switched to these walkabout controllers from the main panel.

Then, when it came to installing the shuttle which serves the single track branch to the RAF base (which has only been seen on here fleetingly), the plan changed again so as to enable the shuttle module to be over-ridden from a small sub-panel located close to the RAF base; the shuttle is installed and operational but the side panel is waiting on completion of the main panel before it gets any attention (and it is nowhere near the top of the list!).

The side panel will also be able to over-ride the 2nd shuttle which has yet to be installed on the narrow gauge line; this wends its way up from the quarry / cement works, through (secret) tunnels to end up at the same station that adjoins the RAF base; it is, of course, becasue the tunnels are secret that we have not been able to talk about them. :blind:

SJPP521000302200521-5.jpg.cc18f2bd58a802706359673072ef9909.jpg

The main panel only has on-off switches for either of these two shuttle modules and it is fair to say that when I described in recent posts how the layout is laid out, and how it works, I didn't mention either of these lines at all! Perhaps I need to take some pictures, but most of where they run is currently in the "not sceinically developed" area.

Finally, it is of course possible for more than one person to work the panel, particularly because there are separate controllers for each of the Up & Down Main lines and for each of the two Up and Down branch loops - it's just that it would be a bit cosy and of course 'social distancing' would be impossible!

I hope that answers your question, but feel free to  ask anything else!

Tony

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

9 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Hooray! Excellent achievement.

Run lots of trains!

Ten at a time by the the look of it! Have fun testing.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Having (almost) worked through three of the four projects that I had in hand a couple of months ago, my thoughts are turning towards what's next, and in scenic terms it will be to continue the 'refurbishment' of the Stowe Magna side of the layout.

I don't intend to completely replace many of the buildings, as I have with St Giles' Church, but there are a couple where drastic action is required, and the next one will be the Stowe Magna station building itself:

SJPP303000602190303.jpg.bd435a3575ccd2da628c01e48df0f80d.jpg

The current station is the Hornby Skaledale cast resin model of Rye Station in Sussex, which at first sight looks like a reasonable enough model, until you look across the layout to Churminster Station, which is a scale model of Honiton Station. It's not just that this is a beautiful model (built by Geoff Taylor) but what really stands out is just how much bigger / taller than Stowe Magna station it is. In fact, one is left wondering whether the Hornby model is actually to the same scale - and perhaps it is not! (maybe HO scale?).

So my intention is to replace the Skaledale building with something which I hope will be an improvement - albeit within the confines of the site that is available - and I am wondering whether anyone on here has scale drawings of Rye Station - or perhaps another suitable SR station for the Central or SE divisions of the Southern?

I will also post my question elsewhere in the hope of finding a helpful answer!

Tony

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mick, I hadn't started any research, just posted my thoughts on what I wanted to do next, so this is a great suggestion that I haven't looked at.

Thx.

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

I am wondering whether anyone on here has scale drawings of Rye Station

More of a cross section, hope this helps!

image.png.1f5c7ed81e4f8c1cde8f646ff837feb6.png

2 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Wrong forum.

:unknw_mini:

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Jack P said:

More of a cross section, hope this helps!

image.png.1f5c7ed81e4f8c1cde8f646ff837feb6.png

:unknw_mini:

Ho! Ho! Ho1

Perhaps unsurprisingly, what comes up more often when connecting railways with rye, is Peckham Rye.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Having completed the Control Panel and the rake of kit-built wagons, I moved back to St Giles churchyard, and after some further 'planting', I have decided that it is now as good as finished - for the time being , although I am certain that it would benefit from further titivation! :

SJPP525000702200525.jpg.4cfe244d220f6b6f1ed483f72adc7ff0.jpg

If I consider what was there previously, I feel that the re-build has been justified

SJPDSC0005802081228.jpg.63bbb0ced9d2ef4d2a8cf0bc84f5a891.jpg

Attention has now shifted in two directions - Station Road - which lies beyond the church in the previous two shots, leads down the hill to the centre of Stow Magna and it's station:

SJPP525001602200525.jpg.359be24bf0d44d56612f12ed6793f1e2.jpg

The top end of Station Road has already recieved some attention and I am now working slowly down the hill, however, there is no intention to replace the numerous buildings that line the street, just to tidy up - for example the pavement is missing outside Lloyds Bank, and there is a dangerously tilted chimney pot above the shop next door!

SJPP525001202200525.jpg.e0a961feff7b8fa3c566a68b83c640ca.jpg

At the same time the Goods Yard and surrounding area, that lies in front of Station Road, is also receiving attention; this is a "before" picture taken some time ago:

SJPDSC0235602091120.jpg.fe25d136fed850b9a32085b44c62d2a2.jpg

followed by an "after" picture - i.e. as now, and after the restoration of St Giles church, but still with a few things to be done:

SJPP525001002200525.jpg.d21a857f68ec452dfeae31bfcf54e56c.jpg

Stowe Magna Junction signal box has been "distressed", and as we speak, the Goods Shed is on the workbench - it may not look to bad but it is a Townstreet building made from plaster of Paris, and was hastily assembled, such that the internal platform currently fouls half of the vans that get shunted into it!

This and other flaws will now be dealt with.

Tony

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

The church is now the centre piece of the village and dominates the area.

All very realistic and effective.

With these lights, bells and whistles of the control panel I assume there is also a switch on there to control the sound of ringing bells from the church?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

That's all made a tremendous difference. St. Giles' churchyard looks splendid, and the trees really set it off well.

Do many of the lower houses on Station Road have internal lighting?

Thanks Mick - truth is, I can't remember! At the top, the church, two of the properties at the rear, plus the vicarage are lit, and I will certainly seek to add to that as I work my way along.

Additionally, the signal box, good shed and coal office are all lit, as are the station platform canopies (work in progress!) and the locoshed.

1 hour ago, KNP said:

The church is now the centre piece of the village and dominates the area.

All very realistic and effective.

With these lights, bells and whistles of the control panel I assume there is also a switch on there to control the sound of ringing bells from the church?

Well actually, there is! Plus there is a fairly chunky (ex-PC) speaker hidden in the tunnel under the church; the aim is to be able to select anything from the funeral march to a gospel choir, according to mood!

Example, showing here;

(However, I have yet to fit a sound playback module of any kind, and it ain't near the top of the list!).

Tony

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Much as I like the old SuperQuick church, Tony, I have to agree that its replacement looks excellent.

That's the bouquet, now the brickbat...

My Fair Lady opened on Broadway in 1956 and in London in 1958 so perhaps your theatre should be showing something written a little earlier?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

My Fair Lady opened on Broadway in 1956 and in London in 1958 so perhaps your theatre should be showing something written a little earlier?

....I might have known it! :rolleyes:

The whole sign is not showing of course, so it might read "My Air Lady" - the story of a WRAF pilot, perhaps?

No, - OK I'll get it changed! :victory:

Tony

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

....I might have known it! :rolleyes:

The whole sign is not showing of course, so it might read "My Air Lady" - the story of a WRAF pilot, perhaps?

No, - OK I'll get it changed! :victory:

Tony

Perhaps, for a bit of fun, you could change it to My Air Lady, or...

Mayfair Lady - a light comedy set in Grosvenor Square, or

My Hair Lady, a dark thriller about a rogue coiffeuse, or...

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Managed to complete the work on the Stowe Magna Goods Shed yesterday (seen here prior to works commencing):

SJPP105000902190105.jpg.8418b2576de380378a9972ca5a7649b9.jpg

I will post an updated image once it is back in position, however, before replacing it, there is one fairly major job that needs to be done.

My original layout design envisaged the 3rd-rail electrified lines being served by a single reversing siding beyond the tunnel north of Stowe Magna, and terminating in platforms 1 and 2 at Stow Magna station, and so that was where the 3rd rail was added:

SJPP516002902190516.jpg.86432320a6d81bbe459f170a7c737dfb.jpg

However, I later determined that it would be preferable for EMU's and electric locos to be able to access the main fiddle yard in both Up and Down directions, which also required that they could run through the main line platforms; as you can see, the 3rd rail is currently missing from these lines. (In fact the subsequent signalling design follows this as the colour lights are already installed to match the extent of the 3rd rail electrification).

Fortunately, electric powered trains somehow manage to coast all the way through the station and back to the fiddle yard at present, without 3rd rail contact - must have big batteries on board! - but this situation cannot last, the bullet must be bitten!

I can't describe just how tedious a job adding the 3rd rail is! Today I managed just 3 lengths of 3rd rail of the 9 lengths needed to compete the Up and Down lines through the station - and there is still the viaduct across the estuary towards Churminster to be done - probably another 12 lengths, so I shall have to take it in small chunks. Threading insulation pots onto code 55 rail is just mind-numbing! :crazy_mini:

I'll post pictures when done, but I feel certain that it is best completed before I fix the platform canopies in place!

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 6