Churminster & Stowe Magna, Southern Railway

Tony Teague

2 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

A further addition to stock arrived today, in the form of Hornby's latest Merchant Navy class loco No.21C7 'Aberdeen Commonwealth' in wartime black livery:

SJPP514000102210514.jpg.3fa040db2fd8721e9a790b53b303b21e.jpg

I rather like this livery, which is correct for this loco from June 1942 until June 1947 but my only concern in looking at this very fine model, was whether there should be such a pronounced gap between the 'C' and the '7'. Having consulted the Book of the Merchant Navy Pacifics it does actually seem about right and so I won't be attempting to move them any closer!

SJPP514000202210514.jpg.3aa6ab87ef17de929fe1616cb9ee7cc3.jpg

This is as out of the box, so there are a few small bits and pieces to add plus coal & crew before this one gets a light weathering; at present the weathering queue is getting ever longer with new stock arriving without me getting to work on it - but I'll get there soon!

In the meantime, and having painted the interior, I had also got to the point of sticking together the two 3D printed halves of the bodywork of DS75 and this soon revealed a slight problem in that there was a small variation in the shape of the two roofs, so that a clean joint was impossible (the photograph is especially cruel!):

SJPP514000402210514.jpg.4578776685192407aed52e5935b003f8.jpg

I went ahead and fixed the two partes together, incorporating the spud motor in the process, before filling the joint with Tamiya plastic putty:

SJPP514000602210514.jpg.e105270ba42a64dbe65ad2ade57da6e7.jpg

This was soon rubbed down very gently with sanding sticks to achieve a smooth finish:

SJPP514000702210514.jpg.956c348c1832db36c6d8b44af28dd4f2.jpg

The resulting surface was then repainted and is looking pretty good:

SJPP514000902210514.jpg.d9356fd2c81b694b74bedbb66f2e16f9.jpg

I shall leave it overnight before deciding whether a further coat is required; this then leaves only the addition of pick-up shoes, tool & battery boxes, buffers etc before this tiny loco is finally complete.

Tony

I have the BR blue liveried Merchant Navy. A superb model, the livery is beautifully applied.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Sandhole said:

I have the BR blue liveried Merchant Navy. A superb model, the livery is beautifully applied.

Yes I think this tooling is great but unfortunately there are so many small variations between each of the prototypes that it is almost impossible to buy an extra one and convert it to a different number. So far they have only released 3 MNs in Southern livery - and in addition the new one was sold out at pre-order stage.

Tony

• Informative/Useful 1

Just now, Tony Teague said:

Yes I think this tooling is great but unfortunately there are so many small variations between each of the prototypes that it is almost impossible to buy an extra one and convert it to a different number. So far they have only released 3 MNs in Southern livery - and in addition the new one was sold out at pre-order stage.

Tony

I agree, unrebuilt MNs are a minefield, you are right.
Chris.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Teague said:

I was considering a coat of Kleer and just alight dusting on the wheels, perhaps a dusting on the top - what do you think?

With those smooth areas of casing, I think a job with the T-Cut would suit well. Certainly a dusting of the underframe but with some oily finish to coupling rods. Sooty dusting across the top and minimum rusting of the tender interior.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

It is almost 6 months since I last reported on the 'Missing Locos' list, and more like 2 years since anything significant changed, however, I am now pleased to report the arrival of KESR 0-8-0T 'Hecate' which eventually became SR No.949:

SJPP519000102210519.jpg.173657961c872a52efbffeb71f3360fa.jpg

This excellent model has been produced by Mike Edge, to whom I am most grateful, this being the second 'missing loco' that he has helped me to cross off the list.

SJPP519000602210519.jpg.892a07208ed8de86c3ed1841745e7320.jpg

At the same time, I think we have reached the point where SR departmental loco No.DS75 can also be removed from the list; it is not quite there as I have yet to add pick-up beams/shoes and other details but this will be done within days and I shall then post further pictures.

On this basis here is the current state of the 'Missing Locos' list (as usual the number in brackets shows how many there were in the class as at 1948):

LB&SCR Billinton E5X   (4) - disgracefully, this build is STILL in hand; I have now had the 3D printed body and SEF E5 chassis part built for a dreadful three years, for which I have no

reasonable excuse; I am now committed to this being next in the line once DS75 is finished.

LB&SCR Marsh C3         (8) - Arun Sharma has developed a 'kit of parts' for the loco; originally I had intended using a Nu Cast Partners C2X tender but subsequent research showed that these 

were swapped for B2X tenders and so parts for this are now under development. I have a builder lined up once the remaining parts are to hand.

LB&SCR Marsh D3X      (1) - the solution proposed has been through a 3D printed body, and use of the chassis from a Chivers D3 kit, which is in stock, however, design work on the body

has yet to start so this one is not going to be a quick win.

LB&SCR Billinton B4X (12) - A commission for this to be built from existing etches has been agreed, and so this one awaits its turn on the builder's list.

SECR Wainwright F1     (9) - SER Kits have design and drawings in hand for a 7mm kit which they have indicated they are prepared to scale down to produce 4mm etches; I am also now aware

of a proposal for this and the B1 to be produced via 3D printing

SECR Wainwright B1    (16) - Jidenco kit remains in hand but I have yet to identify a builder willing to take it on; meanwhile the proposal mentioned above to produce this and the F1 via 3D

printing has also emerged.

LSWR Drummond S11 (10) - a set of L12 body parts is in hand and I understand that the correct driving wheels are now available from Markits; the plan remains to use an adapted SE Finecast

T9 chassis (think T9 with large boiler & smaller wheels), but this will not be a simple build and I have yet to identify a builder.

LSWR Drummond C14  (3) - Mike Edge has recently produced a test build for what may become a Judith Edge kit during 2021and I believe that I am near the front of Mike's build queue

SR Maunsell I1X            (18) - I believe that a previous proposal to develop a 3D printed body has stalled; the intention was to combine this with Alan Gibson milled chassis frames which are in

stock, so this one needs revisiting

Soton Dock Co. 0458     (1) - possible solution identified to modify a CSP Agenoria CSP 04 kit, although this will not be simple; kit is in hand, but has yet to be progressed with a potential

builder

So we are down to 10, which I would now classify as follows:

'certain solution / reasonably soon' = 4: E5X, C3, B4X, C14

'some issues remain to be solved' = 3: D3X, S11, 0458

'fairly vague / need firming up' = 3: B1, F1, I1X

I suspect the last few may take an awful long time, but I remain determined and if anyone has any bright ideas for shortening the list or firming up these ideas, they will be most welcome!

Finally on this topic, I have had suggestions over time of various 'class variations' that should be added to the list - oil burners, different tenders, 2 dome or large / small boilers etc, and whilst I would always be keen to add them to the fleet, I don't regard them as "missing classes" - to do so would render an already difficult goal to be completely unachievable! However, I do have a couple of examples in hand ( a small boilered H15 and something oil-fired) and I will bring these forward as plans develop.

Tony

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

You didn't ask me if I would give the Jidenco one a go, none of them have actually been impossible in my experience - just "difficult" at times.

Well never one to look a gift horse in the mouth...!

I think the kit will build into either an F1 or a B1 (these are very similar), but if you are willing to have a look - then who am I to refuse?

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/05/2021 at 18:33, Tony Teague said:

A further addition to stock arrived today, in the form of Hornby's latest Merchant Navy class loco No.21C7 'Aberdeen Commonwealth' in wartime black livery:

SJPP514000102210514.jpg.3fa040db2fd8721e9a790b53b303b21e.jpg

I rather like this livery, which is correct for this loco from June 1942 until June 1947 but my only concern in looking at this very fine model, was whether there should be such a pronounced gap between the 'C' and the '7'. Having consulted the Book of the Merchant Navy Pacifics it does actually seem about right and so I won't be attempting to move them any closer!

Tony

Although she was in black until July 1947  she actually 21c7 only remained in this condition until August 1944 when she gained the more familiar cowl above the smokebox and also received short flared smoke deflectors. She gained the to become standard length and style of smoke detectors in July 1947.

1 hour ago, Tony Teague said:

It is almost 6 months since I last reported on the 'Missing Locos' list, and more like 2 years since anything significant changed, however,

SECR Wainwright F1     (9) - SER Kits have design and drawings in hand for a 7mm kit which they have indicated they are prepared to scale down to produce 4mm etches; I am also now aware

of a proposal for this and the B1 to be produced via 3D printing

Tony

Re the F1 Jidenco did do a 'kit' 

1508076536_F11043_1.jpg.d84dd584db23258ccf66af5fbe13dbbb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Graham_Muz said:

Although she was in black until July 1947  she actually 21c7 only remained in this condition until August 1944 when she gained the more familiar cowl above the smokebox and also received short flared smoke deflectors. She gained the to become standard length and style of smoke detectors in July 1947.

Re the F1 Jidenco did do a 'kit' 

1508076536_F11043_1.jpg.d84dd584db23258ccf66af5fbe13dbbb.jpg

Thanks Graham

If you built that, you are to be congratulated!

The loco has a biit of an 'elderly' feel to it - quite a survivor.

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

LSWR Drummond S11 (10) - a set of L12 body parts is in hand and I understand that the correct driving wheels are now available from Markits; the plan remains to use an adapted SE Finecast

T9 chassis (think T9 with large boiler & smaller wheels), but this will not be a simple build and I have yet to identify a builder.

You might be pleased to hear that PDK have now added the S11 to the list of kits to be designed (along with the LBSC K!!), PDK kits are usually a fairly straightforward build, so might be a more efficient way than your current thinking? The downside being that you have to wait..

Dan at SER kits has confirmed the B1/F1 will be scaled down, he just needs to get to that stage. Looking at the O1 kit he produces, I think it will be well worth the wait. Not least because the etches are in NS.

Very excited about the prospect of the C14/B4x and Arun's C3.

I had trifled with the idea of the D3x, the Five79 model (ex-chivers) is due for re-release this year. From memory the D3x's had I3 boilers fitted, which was a fairly straightforward design, I was thinking that some suitable brass tube could be substituted in for the boiler. Obviously you're then left with the smokebox saddle/door and other bits, but I actually have a CAD for the I3 door anyway. The saddle wouldn't be insurmountable as a 3D print. 

Hecate looks the business! 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jack

You have clearly had more recent contact with those you mention than I have had, although it is worth saying that in most cases, the responses you have got are remarkably similar to those I received about 2 years ago - things often move at glacial pace in this hobby of ours!

What is certain is that as soon as one manages to get something scratch built or 3D printed someone will come along with a kit - and equally if one gets a kit built, along will come an RTR example!

Nevertheless I am open to exploring every possibility to clear my list!

Tony

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Jack P said:

I had trifled with the idea of the D3x, the Five79 model (ex-Chivers) is due for re-release this year. From memory the D3x's had I3 boilers fitted, which was a fairly straightforward design, I was thinking that some suitable brass tube could be substituted in for the boiler. Obviously you're then left with the smokebox saddle/door and other bits, but I actually have a CAD for the I3 door anyway. The saddle wouldn't be insurmountable as a 3D print. 

The D3X boilers were of the I2 variety, 4' 6" diameter, 10' 10¾" length, 8' 0" pitch.  The I3 boilers were 4' 10" in diameter, and 11' 5" long.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Nick Holliday said:

The D3X boilers were of the I2 variety, 4' 6" diameter, 10' 10¾" length, 8' 0" pitch.  The I3 boilers were 4' 10" in diameter, and 11' 5" long.

Nick thanks

I haven't looked at the D3X for a while, but I think that's probably why we would need a 3D printed boiler.

Tony

• Like 2

Thanks Nick, I knew it was one of the I series!

Tony, I thought that too, but the I2 boilers didn't have the step that most smokeboxes have, it's effectively a long tube, which is why I thought some brass tube to the correct diameter would be an easy solution. 

Obviously if the effort to 3D print the associate bits is being exhausted - the boiler isn't that much more work.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Jack P said:

Thanks Nick, I knew it was one of the I series!

Tony, I thought that too, but the I2 boilers didn't have the step that most smokeboxes have, it's effectively a long tube, which is why I thought some brass tube to the correct diameter would be an easy solution. 

Obviously if the effort to 3D print the associate bits is being exhausted - the boiler isn't that much more work.

Yes I can see that; I suppose on balance it is a question of just how many parts would need manufacturing - firebox, tanks, smokebox saddle etc to fit around the boiler that would determine the best route.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Tony,

I think we discussed the S11 before Covid (is that the new BC?). I’m still willing to do a similar job to the one I did on the L12 if these are a similar set of parts. I’m not sure I fancy the chassis though as I have a variable track record on those and wouldn’t want to mess it up for you. So you might have to find someone else for that.

I may have completely misremembered and it was a different loco we were talking about so feel free to ignore me!

Regards

Andy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

I think we discussed the S11 before Covid (is that the new BC?). I’m still willing to do a similar job to the one I did on the L12 if these are a similar set of parts. I’m not sure I fancy the chassis though as I have a variable track record on those and wouldn’t want to mess it up for you. So you might have to find someone else for that.

We did Andy, and I'd be keen to take you up on it, however, I think I need to solve the chassis problems first, so as to give you something to fit it to.

Bear with me and I'll get to that shortly, but having just said that I will finish off DS75 and the E5X next I must get through those first!

Hopefully we will soon be able to meet up and do exchange visits again very soon.

Best wishes

Tony

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

For your S11 could you take at Hornby T9, re-wheel it, take the boiler out and replace maybe Arun Sharma might do a casting of the L12 boiler and fittings for you and then scratch build the cab and splashers?

Thanks for the suggestion; I do already have a further complete set of the L12 body parts that Arun produced but I am not sure that re-wheeling a Hornby T9 chassis would be as easy as  it sounds - there would probably be issues about ride height, the length of rods and fit of pistons and cylinders etc, nevertheless we will certainly explore all options before committing to any particular solution. I'm all for taking the easiest route!

• RMweb Gold

In republishing my "Missing Locos" list just over a week ago, I could not have imagined how fruitful that might be!

First off, within hours, Mike Edge offered to build the Jidenco B1 kit that I have in stock, Andy Sparks reconfirmed a previous offer to assist with the S11 build, and then to my surprise, the following day, @Nick C, who is a follower of this thread, offered me an 'almost' ready to run model of the ex-Plymouth Dockyard Co. loco, No.3458 'Ironside'! Needless to say, I accepted, and here she is:

SJPP527004002210527.jpg.5795a50aee1f8d6b60be49087c2aee96.jpg

The model has a resin body by ACT Models, whom I had not heard of but are now defunct, together with a Bachmann RTR chassis, ex-'Percy'; Nick kindly included a set of 'Ironside' nameplates, and so, whilst some fettling work is certainly required, I think that I shall now dispose of the CSP Agenoria kit that I have in stock and had proposed for a quite complex conversion.

In these shots the roof is just resting on top and will need fixing, along with buffers, nameplates and some other detailing, probably followed by further painting:

SJPP527004302210527.jpg.6330be649e3ebc9417a9a0ae32596b9b.jpg

So thanks to Mike, Andy and Nick, here is a further upgraded version of the 'Missing Locos' list:

LB&SCR Billinton E5X   (4) - build now re-started, following completion of DS75, using a 3D printed body and SEF E5 chassis.

LB&SCR Marsh C3         (8) - Arun Sharma's 'kit of parts' for the loco now with the intended builder; original intention to use a Nu Cast Partners C2X tender superceded by research showing

that these were swapped for B2X tenders and so parts for this are now under development.

LB&SCR Marsh D3X      (1) - the solution proposed has been through a 3D printed body, and use of the chassis from a Chivers D3 kit, which is in stock, however, design work on the body

has yet to start so this one is not going to be a quick win.

LB&SCR Billinton B4X (12) - A commission for this to be built from existing etches has been agreed, and so this one awaits its turn on the builder's list.

of a proposal for this (and the B1) to be produced via 3D printing

SECR Wainwright B1    (16) - Mike Edge's offer to build the Jidenco kit accepted, although this will have to wait its turn in his workbook.

LSWR Drummond S11 (10) - Andy Sparks has offered to assist with the build of what is a set of L12 body parts (S11 = L12 with smaller wheels or T9 with large boiler & smaller wheels); I have

yet  to acquire the correct driving wheels which are now available from Markits; the plan is to use an adapted SE Finecast T9 chassis.

LSWR Drummond C14  (3) - Mike Edge has recently produced a test build for what may become a Judith Edge kit during 2021and I believe that I am near the front of Mike's build queue

SR Maunsell I1X            (18) - I believe that a previous proposal to develop a 3D printed body has stalled; the intention was to combine this with Alan Gibson milled chassis frames which are in

stock, so this one needs revisiting

So we are now down to 9, which I classify as follows:

'certain solution / within forseeable future' = 6: E5X, C3, B4X, C14, B1, S11

'some issues remain to be solved' = 1: D3X

'fairly vague / need firming up' = 2: F1, I1X

This represents a significant improvement, so thanks to all concerned!

Isn't RMWeb a great place!!

Tony

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 3