Churminster & Stowe Magna, Southern Railway

Tony Teague

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for clarifying Graham - and that was certainly my understanding.

Without wanting to be political in any way, I feel that so long as we the purchasers are more concerned about getting the lowest prices, than worrying about whether workers in certain economies are being exploited to achieve them, it remains unlikely that the UK can recover any significant manufacturing base.

That still seems pretty unfortunate to me.

Tony

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

Thanks for clarifying Graham - and that was certainly my understanding.

Without wanting to be political in any way, I feel that so long as we the purchasers are more concerned about getting the lowest prices, than worrying about whether workers in certain economies are being exploited to achieve them, it remains unlikely that the UK can recover any significant manufacturing base.

That still seems pretty unfortunate to me.

Tony

It is a situation that I can't see a way out of. manufacturing of models is a hugely labour intensive process, but it isn't just wages that drive the costs. Everything would cost significantly more if produced here in the UK (the same applies to the Europeans & the USA). Indeed it was the move to overseas manufacturing that allowed the introduction of highly detailed models & liveries that we now take for granted. I fear that should, for any reason, manufacturers be forced to return to producing models on their home soil, it could spell the end for RTR, since very few people could afford the resulting prices. That pre-supposes that Hornby etc could even afford to find and equip suitable premises and employ/train sufficient staff willing to do the mind numbing repetitive work involved in making these things. Its a different world to the days of the Margate factory.

• Agree 3

rolling back the years in the days when Hornby was uk manufacturing , Mainline and Airfix transformed models that were made in Hong Kong , that were better detailed , better proportioned , more accurate . The battle was lost, not in recent times but decades back . why Hornby were not able to create the same with a UK manufacturing operation , others may be able to explain , however the outcome was production became china . Model accuracy improved no end although quality from the above remains a question . My own response to that is I question whether we want too much . How do you stick on a myriad of separate and micro parts and expect them to stay on and never come undone ?

Do we as modellers want to have our cake and eat it too much ?

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sidmouth said:

I think that perhaps we do, pitting great detail AND lower prices against the human costs of production under less enlightened regimes than that in which we are fortunate to live.

It is hard to see a route out, but it may perhaps be dictated at some future point by instabilities in those economies or our relationships with them.

My feeling is that there will be considerable kudos achieved by the first company that is able to profitably repatriate production.

(This is a deep discussion and I'm thinking that I soon need to post something about the layout!)

Tony

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

I think that perhaps we do, pitting great detail AND lower prices against the human costs of production under less enlightened regimes than that in which we are fortunate to live.

It is hard to see a route out, but it may perhaps be dictated at some future point by instabilities in those economies or our relationships with them.

My feeling is that there will be considerable kudos achieved by the first company that is able to profitably repatriate production.

(This is a deep discussion and I'm thinking that I soon need to post something about the layout!)

Tony

I think the defining word is profitably. In order to make a profit if manufacturing in the UK, prices would have to be set at a level that few would be able of afford and/or are willing to pay. I'm not being needlessly negative. I do have professional experience with a company whose products, while not model based, share many similarities with model railways. a couple of years ago, they did an extensive survey and costing excercise to determine the practicalities of returning to UK based production from, in their case India. it was soon concluded that prices to the consumer would have to double at the very least. It was a moot point though, the study indicated that the sheer costs of setting up a manufacturing base in the UK would put the company out of business before it seeing any return on product sales.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, sidmouth said:

rolling back the years in the days when Hornby was uk manufacturing , Mainline and Airfix transformed models that were made in Hong Kong , that were better detailed , better proportioned , more accurate . The battle was lost, not in recent times but decades back . why Hornby were not able to create the same with a UK manufacturing operation , others may be able to explain , however the outcome was production became china . Model accuracy improved no end although quality from the above remains a question . My own response to that is I question whether we want too much . How do you stick on a myriad of separate and micro parts and expect them to stay on and never come undone ?

The way to get all that detail to stay on is to solder it. But that might get a bit messy with the plastic parts!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Hi,

I've just had a wee catch-up after missing a couple of weeks of updates, so apologies if I appear to to be rehashing previous posts.

Like a lot of modellers, I have an  issue with the quality control of a lot of the models sold today, especially the running qualities and finish of new models.  It could be said that they are "not fit for purpose".

Now, that being said, people are fully entitled to return the item and either request another model, and to keep doing this as long as it is necessary to get a model of required standard, or to get a refund.  This can be very time consuming, and not helpful if you need that particular model.  There is a forlorn hope that the manufacturers will take notice of all the returns and improve the manufacturing and quality control issues.

Then there is a second group of modellers, which don't help the situation, and of which I am one.  We moan about the problem for a while, then get out our tools, paints etc and do something about it!  After all, we are modellers, not just box openers!  Yes, we are spoilt by the high standard of detail of todays models, and yet...

It's not too many years ago a modeller would buy the latest coach, locomotive or whatever, then set about adding details etc that many of todays modellers expect, almost as a right.  At the same time some modellers expect this highly detailed models at a rock bottom price.  If a manufacturer cannot make a profit they will not make the models, and if the modeller refuses to pay a higher price they will manufacture the model to the lowest possible cost that gives them a profit.  It's the same with every thing we buy, from cars to clothes, furniture to kitchen utensils and everything in between, even food.  Yes, there are bargains to be found, but how many of us have bought a cheaper item, only to have to return it as faulty, or just chuck it, after it's failed after a few weeks and ended up buying a more expensive, and superior product which we should have bought in the first place!?

I am disabled, only use one hand to make my models, and with a limited income, cannot afford many of the new models that come out.  What I do is buy used models and tittivate them up.  I bought a Lima cl20 as a non-runner, had a look, sorted out the gear-train and now have loco that runs sweet as nut, so changed it to dcc added a tts sound chip.  I still have to do a few bits to the body, but that can wait.  If a new model came out that I actually wanted, and had some detail or running issue, I would still buy it and take my tools to it to make it right.  I know I probably shouldn't, but to me it's a couple of hours versus possible weeks, even months of to-ing and fro-ing.  No contest!

I know this is my opinion, and a lot of people will take issue with it.  That's fine, we all have our own opinions, just as we  model different scales, eras etc and none is "the right one".  However, until people are prepared to pay the actual worth of the manufacturers costs for the standard of details they demand the situation will not change.

Roja

• Like 9
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, 37Oban said:

Hi,

I've just had a wee catch-up after missing a couple of weeks of updates, so apologies if I appear to to be rehashing previous posts.

Like a lot of modellers, I have an  issue with the quality control of a lot of the models sold today, especially the running qualities and finish of new models.  It could be said that they are "not fit for purpose".

Now, that being said, people are fully entitled to return the item and either request another model, and to keep doing this as long as it is necessary to get a model of required standard, or to get a refund.  This can be very time consuming, and not helpful if you need that particular model.  There is a forlorn hope that the manufacturers will take notice of all the returns and improve the manufacturing and quality control issues.

Then there is a second group of modellers, which don't help the situation, and of which I am one.  We moan about the problem for a while, then get out our tools, paints etc and do something about it!  After all, we are modellers, not just box openers!  Yes, we are spoilt by the high standard of detail of todays models, and yet...

It's not too many years ago a modeller would buy the latest coach, locomotive or whatever, then set about adding details etc that many of todays modellers expect, almost as a right.  At the same time some modellers expect this highly detailed models at a rock bottom price.  If a manufacturer cannot make a profit they will not make the models, and if the modeller refuses to pay a higher price they will manufacture the model to the lowest possible cost that gives them a profit.  It's the same with every thing we buy, from cars to clothes, furniture to kitchen utensils and everything in between, even food.  Yes, there are bargains to be found, but how many of us have bought a cheaper item, only to have to return it as faulty, or just chuck it, after it's failed after a few weeks and ended up buying a more expensive, and superior product which we should have bought in the first place!?

I am disabled, only use one hand to make my models, and with a limited income, cannot afford many of the new models that come out.  What I do is buy used models and tittivate them up.  I bought a Lima cl20 as a non-runner, had a look, sorted out the gear-train and now have loco that runs sweet as nut, so changed it to dcc added a tts sound chip.  I still have to do a few bits to the body, but that can wait.  If a new model came out that I actually wanted, and had some detail or running issue, I would still buy it and take my tools to it to make it right.  I know I probably shouldn't, but to me it's a couple of hours versus possible weeks, even months of to-ing and fro-ing.  No contest!

I know this is my opinion, and a lot of people will take issue with it.  That's fine, we all have our own opinions, just as we  model different scales, eras etc and none is "the right one".  However, until people are prepared to pay the actual worth of the manufacturers costs for the standard of details they demand the situation will not change.

Roja

I'm an old geezer.
My main modelling journey started, properly in the late sixties/early seventies. I was another modeller who detailed proprietry offerings.
I remember the work I did on a Triang Hornby Ivatt Mogul to make it more realistic. Handrails, narrowed cylinders, shortened tender. I loved that loco. It ran on my school's model railway club layout, sweet as a nut, and was only replaced when I got a NuCast 'Mickey' on my layout.
The advent of the Crownline detailing kits from Maidenhead was a revellation to me.  Indeed, Crownline detailed locos are ,still, an integral part of my trainset. 
Looking at those kits, now, some of the castings are crude, but they were a godsend to us modellers then.
I, like you,37OBAN, I repair models, if they have small things wrong with them. I agree, I might be part of the quality control problem, but, like you, I'm a modeller.
I have an attachment to some of the models I have repaired.
I have an Olivia's trains EM2 that I got when Hattons were selling them off.
It was a disaster, both power-drives to the bogies were off. 
During an evening of cancer treatment insomnia, I rebuilt the whole thing.
I have a large collection of Heljan spares and I used those to make the EM2 run sweet as a nut.
I rarely run her, but I love her to bits.
Keep up your 'old school' modelling, I shall do the same.
Regards,
Chris.

Edited by Sandhole
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

With the weather having cooled a bit, and with so many different jobs on my to do list, I decided to ignore them all and that yesterday would be a runing day - which was brave, given that I had not really run any trains for at least three months.......:O

I worked through the main fiddle yards (which serve the up and down main lines), and overall I was pretty pleased with the results in that of the 38 trains that were available, 36 ran immediately and faultlessly - not bad after 3 months asleep!

The remaining two trains caused me considerable grief, although one of these was probably my own fault; a Bachmann N class hauling oal empties decided to de-rail itself 3/4 round the circuit - I think the front bogie just jumped the rails, so I will be having a look at back-to-backs, but at present it is on the naughty step. :angry:

In the other case, an unfitted van train was running perfectly well until I decided to swap out some unweathered vans for recently weathered stock; in doing so I obviously disturbed the fine balance of the train which then repeatedly split, derailed and so until until I gave up. The train now looks very odd being shorter, half pristine and half heavily weathered, but I shall get back to it....eventually.

Needless to say almost all mishaps occurred in the least accessible part of the layout, which I think must be "Rule 2"!

SJPP723001402210723.jpg.48deb30e0ddf5ebb40a4fc4a3549f230.jpg

In passing I managed to get pictures of the two latest arrivals, being the excellent SR, ex-LSWR 10T road vans from Kernow, mentioned previously.

Followers of this thread will realise that there are two further fiddle yards, upper and lower, serving the double track branch lines from Churminster and Stowe Magna respectively; I was unable to run any trains on either of these as each was covered in junk accumulated over the last few months, however, I aim to have a clear-up soon. Unfortunately as work around the layout progresses, there is less and less space to store junk (otherwise known as work in progress), and so this is an ever increasing problem.

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Further progress today - thanks largely to Giles' efforts we managed to get the secondary Control Panel installed and working; in fact it is finished barring a few LED's to be inserted once I replenish my stocks!

SJPP728000202210728.jpg.781079b66a7c7992c84a6a70d3628b0f.jpg

I have mentioned before that the layout was very specifically designed for one man operation, which accounts for why everything is crammed into the main Control Panel, however, I later realised that it was possible that visitors might want to take a turn at the controls, and whilst some might be comfortable at the main, fairly complex, control desk, others might want something simpler to look after.

Following this realisation I added two 'roaming' controllers that can be switched in to cover the Up Main, the Down Main, or either of the two loco / goods yards, and now this small panel also allows the normally automated control of either of the two shuttle lines to be switched to manual and looked after through this small panel; it is situated on a pull-out 'drawer' half way along the line between Churminster and the tunnel under the RAF airfield - which provides a good view of the two lines concerned.

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I cleverly arranged for Giles to visit on the two hottest days that we have seen for a while, and so it was that we laboured in some considerable heat - despite the efforts of my ageing and very noisy air-conditioning unit which just can't cope on days like that! (I should stress that it is Giles who does all the strenuous bits - thank you!).

Nevertheless, I have progress to report!

Firstly we installed the remaining LED's into the new side control panel which is now complete, excepting that I shall give the sides of it a coat of glorious malachite, to match that on the main panel:

SJPP908000702210908.jpg.ecc3e1f89e0c7774686a5649341a6178.jpg

This panel is on drawer runners and so it can be pushed back under the layout when not in use.

As the track diagram shows, this is set up to allow optional local control of either of the two lines that are otherwise operated via Heathcote shuttle mechanisms, the orange line being the narrow gauge line from Churminster Quarry up to the small station next to RAF Charmy Bottom (which is currently under military control - it being 1938 - 48); the grey / blue line being the requisitioned short standard gauge branch from the main line that brings in fuel, munitions etc to the air base from the wider network. The green loop with 4 LED's will illustrate progress on the Faller Road System but will not allow any control of it; of this, more in due course.

The second shot shows the location of this panel, 2/3rds of the way along the railway room beside the line from Churminster Quarry to the line under RAF Charmy Bottom.

SJPP908000802210908.jpg.411b150ab8a92013069b74bd838f9270.jpg

Completion of this panel seemed like a simple enough task until we found that both of the two shuttles were mis-behaving, in that points were only firing intermittently; having checked every possible connection that we might have disturbed during our work, we traced the fault to two separate fractured solder joints on the Gaugemaster CDU circuit board (which is standalone and only fires these points). Once repaired all was well - but that cost us about 3 hours!!

Moving on, we decided to attack the CCTV project - which is vital because once the remining backscene boards are installed, the operator (i.e. me) will not be able to see the fiddle yards, which will truly be 'hidden':

SJPP908000202210908.jpg.124f774216250f49e01bcb9a560b1b74.jpg

Longer term followers will recall that our first attempt at installing CCTV ended in tears when we discovered that the cameras that I had bought at great expense (about £3 each!) got red hot within about 2 minutes - and additionally would not focus....... [Lesson = you get what you pay for!].

The new kit is really designed for home surveillance but was heavily discounted because all of the latest equipment now has 4K capability which is certainly not needed here. We made very good progress with 5 of 8 cameras fully installed, a 6th connected and located but needing a bracket to complete the job (top right on screen), and wiring for the remaining two cameras all in place.

SJPP908000502210908.jpg.4c9566928e038872e9a340269503cbc7.jpg

5 of the 8 locations will require the installation of a strip of LED's so that the stock can be seen in otherwise very dark locations; I had a considerable concern that the infra red capability of these cameras would destabilse and interfere with the numerous IRDOT derectors around the layout but fortunately this capability can be disabled, and we can make up for the loss of 'night vision' through installing some small LED strips.

So all in all, two very satisfactory days of progress - it will now take me at least a week to clear up the mess that we made in achieving it!

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

A very brief update today, in that I can report that the canopy for platforms 2 and 3 at Stowe Magna station (see above) is now complete and in the paint shop, whilst a further canopy for platforms 4 and 5 is under construction; I remain undecided about whether platforms 6 and 7 should have a canopy, but it is clear that some form of platform building - toilets or a waiting room might be required to complete platforms 4 and 5.

Meanwhile the small side control panel now has her malachite livery:

939317007_SJPP9120002(2)02210912.jpg.f49d2c4eccdf3c6e0252ab40bdb9c751.jpg

Aside from its potential use by a visitor wishing to control either of the otherwise "shuttle-controlled" lines, there is one key function which can only be controlled from here. If you look at the two blue/grey lines shown at the centre of the track plan on here, you will see that there is a headshunt leading away from the lower of the two standard gauge platforms; access to the headshunt - which is only likely to be used for the storage of vans, warflats or similar, can only be controlled from here as it would be impossible to see what was going on from the main panel, and the shuttle mechanism must be switched out to do this.

SJPP912000403210912.jpg.e1b88fd443ed6650a22579e5c8d7b9b8.jpg

Conversely, at the top / fiddleyard end of the same line (where it appears dotted on the panel), a link is shown diverging away from the line; this is an exit connection from the shuttle line into the main fiddle yard and this may only be controlled from the main panel where the overall status of the fiddle yard can be seen. Entry to the shuttle controlled section is directly from the left hand end of the track shown as dotted, and is also controlled via the main panel.

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...