Churminster & Stowe Magna, Southern Railway

Tony Teague

Hmm, I sense a bit on cynicism creeping in here! :protest:

But yes, I  certainly have room for more than one train in my fiddle yards (well 74 in fact) - so I suppose you are right!

(However, I certainly don't have 74 spam cans - that would be quite excessive! :nono:

Tony

Happy Christmas Tony.

Can't see how 74 Bullied pacifics is excessive!!!!

C.

• RMweb Gold

As a final pre-Christmas update, here is where I have got to with the quarry building:

SJPPC15002602181215.jpg.7804c7743486accd8122936e864e5419.jpg

seen above from the railway bridge on the Old Churminster road, and below from the headshunt to Churminster Goods Yard:

SJPPC15001802181215.jpg.0c67e89446f611965fe7c2915a53d7ac.jpg

I have made a clumsy attempt at blocking out some of the background intrusions that add nothing to each picture!

A couple of the quarry's narrow gauge shunters (of indeterminate origin) have crept into the pictures.

May I wish everyone who follows or visits this thread a very Happy Christmas and a prosperous New Year!

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Fabulous work, Tony.

I hope 2019 brings you much joy from your very fine model, the list of locos is completed and you can iron out any and all problems.

Cheers and thanks for all the inspiration,

John.

Thanks John, and a great 2019 to you and yours!

I personally doubt that all of the missing locos will be completed this year - perhaps by end 2020? - but who knows; I shall certainly be putting some effort behind it!

Best wishes

Tony

At that point Jack P proposed an "A-Z review of Southern Locos" -  a challenge that I picked up and ran with for the several following months! When we started the "A-Z" I had thought that there were just 9 locos missing from my collection but irritatingly 11 more were added during the run through - albeit they were fairly obscure types - so I started to regret having taken on Jack P's challenge! :nono:

My apologies!  :angel:

How many have you added to the collection since then though? We also are much richer for you having shared your collection with us!

Also the "A-Z Review of Southern Locos" sounds like a book I would be seriously interested in purchasing.. 

• RMweb Gold

My apologies!  :angel:

How many have you added to the collection since then though? We also are much richer for you having shared your collection with us!

Also the "A-Z Review of Southern Locos" sounds like a book I would be seriously interested in purchasing.. 

Thanks Jack

No need to apologise, I enjoyed it - just trying to think of what to tackle for 2019!

As above, reduced the 'missing' by 5 and also added the Hattons P and Bachmann H2 that I can think of, so a bit more modest than perhaps previously.

No chance of a book from me I'm afraid  :no: - too busy modelling.

Tony

Thanks Jack

No need to apologise, I enjoyed it - just trying to think of what to tackle for 2019!

Tony

The logical choice would be a list of your coaches/coaching stock,

both existing and required!

Then the wagons (trucks, opens, vans, etc.) in the following year(s)! :jester:

• RMweb Gold

The logical choice would be a list of your coaches/coaching stock,

both existing and required!

Then the wagons (trucks, opens, vans, etc.) in the following year(s)! :jester:

Thanks Jeff, but I don't think I am crazy enough to take that on! :nono:

I did cover some of the less 'usual' coaching stock back in 2017, and to be honest I don't really have a wants list for either coaches or wagons, but that is not to say that I won't acquire any more - if you follow me....

What I do have is a number of coach and wagon kits awaiting building and I'll certainly show these as I get to them - plus I will also be working through the stock to get trains weathered - so another good angle would be to cover each train as it goes through the weathering process.

Yet another option would be to cover the operating schedule through a complete cycle - but I haven't yet finished it and it is over 150 movements..... :senile:

Not sure I'm any clearer ! :scratchhead:

Tony

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

So, having completed the Review of 2018, I thought that I might set out the priorities for 2019 - as much to clarify my own thinking as anything.

For 2018 the main effort was around getting the Churminster area scenically 'finished' or at least, largely completed, and I think it has now reached that stage. In the last few days I have been weathering the Barkers Engineering building that stands in a rather prominent position on the hill overlooking Wadleys Brewery; until now it rather stood out as it was the only unweathered building in that area:

SJPP105000202190105.jpg.3ee04deafa77c32d590f6a763b8022ce.jpg

I built it some years ago from a Walthers kit, and it now blends in a bit better with its surroundings, although I might need to attend to the boundary wall in front of it:

SJPP105000602190105.jpg.8ba1d8735f294ac5dcc305fb4be122b4.jpg

Overall I am now pretty happy with the industrial scene around Churminster:

SJPP105000402190105.jpg.843ce43198b13bf9f01868caf1fed152.jpg

So returning to 2019, scenic attention is going to have to switch back to Stowe Magna and the area around it:

SJPP105000902190105.jpg.bf38fb6cf5a2f0753f215b708523ba95.jpg

The half relief buildings at the rear were completed more than 10 years ago and honestly aren't up to the standard that I am now trying to achieve:

SJPP105001402190105.jpg.397dea73adef175cf89ba93d6a6c86ee.jpg

nevertheless replacing them is not my priority, however, neither the station nor the loco shed were ever finished; in particular the station canopy needs attention:

SJPPC31001802181231.jpg.0867758d0b09447599652f2fb55d097f.jpg

whilst the loco shed lacks a roof which was never re-attached following "bum damage" (see much earlier!):

SJPP105001102190105.jpg.90c4743438bede24dfac678316e4bcf5.jpg

If all of that gets done then we might possibly move to the far end of the layout, where the cross-country branch from Stowe Magna crosses a deep valley on a viaduct; some work has already been completed here, but there is a lot more to be done for it to be scenically complete:

SJPPC31001502181231.jpg.83c0edc174da9d41d2b637633b242786.jpg

Operationally, the colour light signals that cover the main running lines are all installed and work well for trains running through on the up and down main lines, however, there is some work to be done on interlocking, especially around the points at either end of Stowe Magna station:

SJPGOPR004602171027.jpg.fc5ad24aaf6ce1e5acdbb325167abfb7.jpg

At the same time, I have completed a specification for semaphore signals to the two non-3rd rail branches that run from Churminster Junction and Stowe Magna Junctions respectively and I am hopeful that construction & installation of these might commence during 2019.

Whilst on the subject of equipment & controls, the main control console has developed over the last three years with considerable help from Elite Baseboards and the intention was always for this to have an aluminium top, however the guys from Elite advised me not to go for this immediately but to use a paper template, since their experience showed that I "might change my mind". Of course I denied this, but as we are now on version 22 of the panel design, perhaps they had a point!

SJPP105002002190105.jpg.9f036ce01c4f80bd0dfa4169a3e7501b.jpg

Nevertheless, things are now stabilizing, and so I hopeful that we might get around to commissioning the new panel top in 2019! Installing it will be a big job!!

There are of course loco and stock priorities for 2019, but perhaps I will cover these in a future update!

Happy New year!

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks - I think I have the central station block the wrong way round, but I don't intend to change it! I weathered one side of the building badly but doing it all uniformly (& better) is on the roundtuit list.

Although I agree that this station is a reasonable model of the prototype, I'd have to say that Churminster (based on Honiton / Axminster) is a lot better!

SJP2O4B880202160725.jpg.b3b0e1fc40f5bdfbe9ef0a9d42990aca.jpg

Best wishes

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

All coming together superbly, especially that control panel - did you have to go on a course to understand how to use it?

Well it makes perfect sense to me - but I may be alone! :scratchhead:

The large banks of red & black buttons simply control entry & exit to the (large number of) fiddle yard roads - so you just press one red button to select which train you want out, another to select where it is going when it gets back to the fiddle yard and then the related black button to despatch it. :locomotive:

Simple really!

(Courses are available for visiting operators!)

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Strange loco spotted on Churminster Shed!

There have been reports of an unusual looking loco visiting Churminster Shed over the Christmas period but it seems that nobody has managed to get a good picture of it; just a blurred shot of the front here:

SJPP107000802190107.jpg.5972d36159b237d4d3f136a7792f0f17.jpg

A second shot seems to show just part the back of the tender:

SJPP107001002190107.jpg.7f7976784af5283d64c5873c809308c2.jpg

The local rumour mill is now running riot with suggestions as to what it might be!

Obviously we will report more just as soon as we can!

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

There have been reports of an unusual looking loco visiting Churminster Shed over the Christmas period but it seems that nobody has managed to get a good picture of it; just a blurred shot of the front here:

You little tease, you!

• RMweb Gold

I finally managed to get ex-LSWR L12 No.427 finished today:

SJPP111000802190111.jpg.a341e7e1baadbd6c1100bd015da40ee9.jpg

Andy Sparkes completed most of the body build, which is sitting on a Hornby T9 chassis:

SJPP111001302190111.jpg.7b0433f42576b72719dd2a3cc45e83fa.jpg

What took me so long was to work out how to fit in a credible cab floor & interior - the loco has a wide body but because I model in OO, the gap between the driving wheels is really narrow; in the end I did the obvious thing and completed the destruction of the T9 donor by extracting the insides of the cab  and fitting them to the L12 - with the aid of some filler!

SJPP111000702190111.jpg.a75ef34045b4341aa2ba7245bcf3d030.jpg

I have made a mark in Andy's paintwork when fitting the external pipework but I expect to be able to deal with this when I weather the loco very shortly.

The prototype was not especially rare - there were 20 in the class, of what is really just a large-boilered T9 - but it seems pretty unlikely that a RTR model or even a kit will ever be forthcoming, so I am especially grateful to Arun Sharma who designed & 3D printed the body, before casting the boiler parts and etching the frames and cab. The tender is the standard Hornby product.

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 7