5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Oh dear, that's torn it.

Yes, serious error of judgement! :(

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I mentioned a couple of posts back that I find building wagon kits very theraputic, and given that one or two family health issues have stood in the way of much serious modelling - plus that I have a drawer full of unmade wagon kits - I have taken the opportunity to complete a couple more, plus repairing another pair that had been shunted into a siding.

SJPP612000202190612.jpg.464fbb4e97908c1b0d7e411738d922cf.jpg

Most of these 8 are structurally complete and just waiting the paint shop, lettering and weathering, but a couple have details such as couplings or brake gear to be completed.

Looking along the line from the foreground, right to left, we have an LMS 12T van (d.1664) and an LMS 6T fish van (d.1885) both from Cambrian kits, then a Private Owner Grain wagon (Parkside), followed by two MR / LMS 8T covered vans from very old Slaters kits, picked up on Ebay. As you can tell, I like variety especially in my van trains!

Bringing up the rear are first, what was originally a Hornby circus van, and is now part-way through conversion into a NE / LNER 10T ventilated refrigerator van, followed by an SR 10T dropside wagon (d.1301), and finally an SR ballast plough & brake van to d.1748 which was acquired RTR from it's maker, Marc Models; it has a few problems which I am resolving, however the biggest is that whilst it is quite well painted & lettered, it is an Engineers Dept vehicle and should actually be in red oxide with Venetian red ends - so the question is, do I want to strip and re-paint it, or can I live with it?

I am undecided - but here they all are from the opposite end of the line:

SJPP612000302190612.jpg.3ee107a5d83071a339f02b60af27bdf1.jpg

I am embarassed to mention that there are four more part-built kits currently on the workbench, by Slaters (x2), David Geen, and Maple Models and so I think that these will have to be cleared before all move into the paint shop  - but then I really must move on to completing my E5-X, and E4-X locos - the first of which has been in build for far too long!

Nevertheless, the unbuilt kit draw still contains much to go at, so it will get re-visited in due course!

Tony

Tony

• Like 15

After further efforts I have almost cleared the workbench of 'wagons in progress', including adding some of those from the cripple drawer; one wagon was scrapped in the process, as being not worth the effort - and probably cheaper to replace, if needed. One wagon - a Maple Models kit for an LSWR low sided van - remains on the bench as I will need to order some suitable underframe parts if it is to be completed. To be honest it is an awful kit, very much of its day, and made from brittle, semi-transparent resin but it is unusual, and so I will persevere for the time being!

Two Chivers LMS Low Low wagons turned up half finished in a drawer and these plus a Slaters MR / LMS 8T high sided coke wagon have now joined the line waiting for the paint shop:

SJPP615002302190615.jpg.012acc87dc8dc5490f3c5bafdc492313.jpg

Since then, some primer has been applied:

SJPP616000102190616.jpg.4b1a56253f703cf08adf247c69497e53.jpg

and from the other end of what is now a rather longer queue:

SJPP616000802190616.jpg.18d9ad03258d6d7e31a6039f77579057.jpg

So now we are down to top coats, lettering and then weathering; some of the LMS wagons will end up in bauxite and I did have a spray can of bauxite primer, but unfortunately it seemed to explode paint in all directions and had to go in the bin!

I remain undecided about the fate of the ballast plough - to strip and repaint, or live with it?

SJPP616000902190616.jpg.8f9a6f90162cb872f385c5588fab4b1a.jpg

It seems a nice model!

Tony

• Like 7

On 06/10/2018 at 08:34, Tony Teague said:

Chris

There certainly seems to be a lot of interest in LSWR stock.

I looked at the Loddon L11 before finding he Martin Finney kit:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_10_2018/post-14629-0-11751500-1538811198.jpg

Thanks for your kind comments and continued support.

Tony

Same here, but modelling in N gauge means there's even less choice available. Especially for Drummond fans.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CarriageShed said:

Same here, but modelling in N gauge means there's even less choice available. Especially for Drummond fans.

Sorry to hear that - I'm not really up to speed with what is and is not available in N - perhaps 3D printing might offer some answers?

Tony

2 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Sorry to hear that - I'm not really up to speed with what is and is not available in N - perhaps 3D printing might offer some answers?

Tony

There's the Union Mills wide-cab T9 with 6-wheel tender in N, which comes up quite well when lined and detailed. There's also the underpowered Dapol M7.

With a bit of hacking the T9 could produce an L11 even if the wheels are a little large, but there's no fully acceptable watercart available, or any other type of Drummond tender loco. 3D is definitely a promising way forward though, and I'm keeping a close eye on developments.

Tony, 

Your rake is looking fantastic, it looks like we have both been working on similar things.

As for the ballast plow - Strip and repaint! :crazy_mini:

6 hours ago, Jack P said:

Tony, 

Your rake is looking fantastic, it looks like we have both been working on similar things.

As for the ballast plow - Strip and repaint! https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_crazy_mini.gif

Jack

I am sure you are right!

I am just a bit reluctant because it looks pretty good as it is, but I shall have to bite the bullet as it will be running with a rake of large ballast hoppers which are already in the Engineers Dept livery.

Tony

• Like 1