Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tony Teague said:

Managed to scoop away all of the mash so as to deliver on Mick's request - perhaps more like spaghetti than mashed potato!

SJPP321000202200321.jpg.b20853a28ecb11ad06b65cfc91208dfa.jpg

The wires hanging over the sides are the few that remain to be re-connected.

Interestingly the re-wiring from 3-wire to 2-wire LED's has actually simplified and reduced the amount of wire inside the box, despite many of the cabling runs having to be replaced.

Tony

Now that is scary!

Edited by DLT
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

9 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I'd rather watch the potatoes than the spaghetti. :)

Yes, they were a bit lively!

• Funny 1

On 20/03/2020 at 22:00, Tony Teague said:

Shhh!

People would see that its just full of instant mashed potato!:tongueclear:

Err, so this is what's inside?  Instant Mashed Potato

• Funny 1

3 minutes ago, DLT said:

Now that is scary!

Its a DC two wire system - two wires to everything!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

Posted (edited)
On 20/03/2020 at 14:39, Tony Teague said:

-

-

-

-

The Control Desk is now beginning to look the part, and I have also taken the opportunity to re-configure the use of the blue DCC Concepts levers at the front, so as to prepare them for the installation of semaphore signalling to parts of the layout in due course.

-

-

Tony

In due course.....

Here are the Churminster signals, currently "self isolating" in my shed!

To be delivered and installed, but when???????????????

Steve.

Edited by Steve Hewitt
Correction to Video.
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Posted (edited)

Amazing work Steve!

I shall look forward to the day when we can get these installed.

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague

Well I allowed myself a two day break from the LED soldering and did other things but I was back today and am now down to the last 20 which feels better!

Once I have finished that job - or perhaps next time I am bored with it - there are a couple of things I particularly want to progress, one being the churchyard to St Giles Church but the other being to complete my first ever brass coach construction:

SJPP326000702200326.jpg.7d9703d5567e55c93e78f01fbe9b2484.jpg

This is an ex-LSWR 6-wheel brake which I chose (along with two others) after extensive research into what was needed to make up a breakdown train of the period that I model, to run with Bachmann's excellent breakdown crane. Such coaches are only available as kits and so although I had tried brass kit-building once before, I gave up fairly quickly!

With that in mind I enrolled on the 4mm kit making course at Missenden Abbey and recently spent a couple of very enjoyable days there, being 'tuted' by Tim Watson and Tony Gee. The pictures show where I got to over the weekend - the body is largely complete and so I now need to move onto the 6 wheel chassis.

SJPP326000302200326.jpg.3c3b7e1d978284c10ea9162822b5bc37.jpg

After this there are two ex-LB&SCR 54' bogie coaches to complete the rake!

Please be kind with your comments - it is my first attempt!

Tony

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Tony,

That looks really good.

My early attempts always had too much solder everywhere.

You've not chosen the easiest underframe to get running.:yahoo_mini:

Good luck,

Steve.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steve Hewitt said:

You've not chosen the easiest underframe to get running.:yahoo_mini:

I appreciate that - now - I didn't when I bought the kit!:wacko:

• Friendly/supportive 3

3 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

With that in mind I enrolled on the 4mm kit making course at Missenden Abbey and recently spent a couple of very enjoyable days there, being 'tuted' by Tim Watson and Tony Gee. The pictures show where I got to over the weekend - the body is largely complete and so I now need to move onto the 6 wheel chassis

Please be kind with your comments - it is my first attempt!

It looks a lot different to the last time I saw it. I'd be happy if my first attempt had looked that good. :P

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

It looks a lot different to the last time I saw it. I'd be happy if my first attempt had looked that good. :P

Good tutors!

• Agree 2

Quite a lot of 6 wheelers that survived into later years lost their middle wheels - including all those that went to the Isle of Wight. That might be an option if you can't get the 6-wheel chassis to run well!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Nick C said:

Quite a lot of 6 wheelers that survived into later years lost their middle wheels - including all those that went to the Isle of Wight. That might be an option if you can't get the 6-wheel chassis to run well!

Good thought, but I am trying!

Chassis currently in build and will report back in due course.

• Like 1

I have been fairly busy in the railway room since my last post - I spent a day on the LSWR 6 wheeler and have built much of the chassis and underframe, but I confess that getting the lower step-board that runs along each side straight & level has driven me crazy!

In addition I have had enough of the fumes from the phosphoric acid flux, so I needed a break! I didn't feel like wiring, or making the churchyard look pretty, so I opted for what I always do when motivation is lacking - I built some wagon kits!

SJPP331000102200331.jpg.06b2fef229e78dcc591dea5dd4d7de15.jpg

Three in fact! - Now I have had enough of solvent glue fumes!

These are an LNER d.106 12T Fruit Van from a Peco Parkside kit, and two MR / LMS d.378 10T 16'6" Covered Goods Vans from the Slaters kit; each has a little detailing left to do before I add weight and then paint them.

Perhaps tomorrow I'll go for some different fumes - paint solvents, as I have these, plus I still need to paint the last batch of wagons that I built back in December:

SJPP331000202200331.jpg.a7f401c175d65fb407fab7ab6e293dfa.jpg

These are a pair of SR 12T d.1452 plywood sided box vans from Ratio kits...:

SJPP331000302200331-2.jpg.4accda9c5c7a034073f0d67952269acb.jpg

....and a pair of GWR d.109 Prize Cattle vans from the Peco / Parkside kit:

SJPP331000402200331.jpg.1f946fb257d2ade46f1fedee453889ee.jpg

I have also disassembled for repainting, a pair of Hornby / LSWR / SR 24T d. 1543 brake vans that arrived back in December sporting what appeared to be an ?LMS? light reddish-brown (?bauxite?) livery; it goes against the grain to have to re-livery brand new RTR products that cost over £20 each, but the livery is too awful to retain!

So it looks like the next session will be painting, but it could equally be wiring, brass coach building, or churchyard scenicking; who knows, but at least I seem to have plenty of time to get things done!

Tony

• Like 13

What it must be like to have choices. Here's me stuck with, "Do I use yellow wire or green wire to connect the decoder to the point motor?" :P

In all seriousness, that's one heck of a lot of progress! Keep up the momentum.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Mick Bonwick said:

What it must be like to have choices. Here's me stuck with, "Do I use yellow wire or green wire to connect the decoder to the point motor?" :P

In all seriousness, that's one heck of a lot of progress! Keep up the momentum.

There are choices you know - if you want excitement you could start ballasting!:notme:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3