It is already two weeks since my last post but I have not been idle.

Last weekGiles Walburn and I really (almost) finished off the Control Desk, with some fault finding, snagging and cosmetic trimmings; I am now just painting the woodwork and will post some pictures as soon as the last coat has gone on.

In the meantime another 'addition to stock' arrived yesterday in the form of the new Rails / Dapol ex-LB&SCR A1X terrier (on the right below):

983915941_SJP2020-09-1512-28-46(BRadius8Smoothing4)02200915-Copy.jpg.8069791959f06abde266869535b9f409.jpg

Comparison with the Hornby model (above left) which was announced later but delivered earlier is unavoidable, and at this stage I can't really see that there is a "winner" - each having strengths and weaknesses.

1623666316_SJP2020-09-1512-23-32(BRadius8Smoothing4)02200915-Copy.jpg.fa4e9e85609dbe7338ab008d5e2dcbe0.jpg

I have yet to run No.2644, the Rails / Dapol model, whiilst No.2662, the Hornby model has had a crew and headcode disc added, but over the next week or so I will try to come up with some objective thoughts.

1804059898_SJP2020-09-1512-25-33(BRadius8Smoothing4)02200915-Copy.jpg.a8054b462124ef5f6a23ca842c54cbcc.jpg

What is certain, however, is that the four old terriers in the fleet will have to go! There is just no comparison with the new models (I did compare the Hornby model with its much older counterpart back on p.20).

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Painting of the Control Desk is now complete - and I chose to do it in a dangerously bright shade of SR malachite! (you may need your Ray-Bans to view this!):

SJPP917000102200917.jpg.f5c1ffd1b2afaf2e8af67d87873af0c8.jpg

Cosmetically the only outstanding work now is to add three pieces of the laminate that was used for the top, around the lever frame (which is why those areas are not painted). The two sides will be blank but the rear strip will be printed with to show the function of each lever; it took me a little while to work out how I wanted to do this and so this strip is not yet printed:

SJPP917001102200917.jpg.3092f1b04fcaa312ce4e855b8ba13ecf.jpg

Here it is, all but complete with the PC screen back in place & displaying a step in the operating sequence:

SJPP917002002200917.jpg.e354a827fb0d159e9ff4481210fc570c.jpg

And from above:

SJPP917001602200917.jpg.b14a1c655c0a2ab4c2282127b8b5d351.jpg

When I first specified the Panel it was on the basis that everything must be operable by one person i.e. me!, however, as time has gone by I have realised that there are times when it would be useful to have the option for visitors to "drive", and so last week Giles and I added a further enhancement, in the shape of two plug-in / walk-about controllers which can be switched in to control the Up and Down Main Lines:

SJPP917002302200917.jpg.606b8c38ff646cc36cace3a09c34c98d.jpg

In fact the walkabout controllers themselves are not new as we had already made provision for them to be switched in to control either Churminster Shed & Goods Yard, or Stowe Magna Shed & Goods Yard - and these options remain via sockets on either side of the panel:

SJPP917002502200917.jpg.f11d4a2788848d5120df23aa434d3219.jpg

Tony

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 1

That is a seriously impressive looking control panel! I bet the desk by the monitor doesn’t stay clear for long!

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

That really is impressive, what an amazing control desk you have designed and built.

Top drawer that.

A pipe dream for many such as myself.

An impressive layout you have Tony....

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, westerhamstation said:

Hi Tony, that is just amazing, and so well made. All the best Adrian,

2 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

That is a seriously impressive looking control panel! I bet the desk by the monitor doesn’t stay clear for long!

2 hours ago, AdeMoore said:

That really is impressive, what an amazing control desk you have designed and built.

Top drawer that.

A pipe dream for many such as myself.

An impressive layout you have Tony....

2 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Absolutely wonderful!

And so is your control panel.  :lol:

Thanks for all of your kind comments!

Andy - You are right, it usually also houses two beer mats for the coffee cups, but is also a place to put anything that won't fit on the work bench - which is behind the operator's chair.

AdeMoore - I need to give credit to Giles for the original woodwork, plus developing the panel top layout, getting it printed and installing it - so quite a lot really! :drinks:

Surprised no-one mentioned the green.......:biggrin_mini:

4 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

SJPP917001102200917.jpg.3092f1b04fcaa312ce4e855b8ba13ecf.jpg

Engage the warp drive, Mr Scott - warp factor one!

• Funny 6

2 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Surprised no-one mentioned the green.......

It clashes with the blue levers.

• Funny 1

7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

It clashes with the blue levers.

Precisely!

(but they don't do any other colours - in fact at the moment, you can't get them at all!).

• Friendly/supportive 2

Whilst watching the control panel paint dry, I retreated to my usual comfort zone and built a wagon; it's not quite finished in that it needs a roof, some method of coupling, and waft of Tester's dullcoat, but it is one of the most detailed 4mm wagon kits that I have come across:

SJPP917002702200917.jpg.293b854484e61e3789b849337f69da13.jpg

It's a SR Banana van to d.1478 from an old white metal kit by ABS models that I picked up on flea-bay a while back, and what took longest was the bits you can't see - the brake gear and under-parts which have a level of detial that is unusual on 4mm kits.

I'd love to have a couple more of these but prices are silly for what is an obsolete kit and following the recent sad passing of Adrian Swain one is left wondering whether they will ever re-appear; I hope so!

Tony

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

15 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Surprised no-one mentioned the green.......:biggrin_mini:

Looks too light, I hope it will be corrected on the production mod- wait, wrong thread...

The Banana Van looks excellent - I've built a few of the 7mm Parkside versions. A scaled down  one would be a welcomed addition. I have a few meat and insulated David Geen kits to get around to, they share a similar level of intricate detail on the underside. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

The ABS wagon kits are always well detailed and make really good models. Check out things like the brackets between the wagon and body. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Having got the control panel back into normal use I have spent the last couple of days running trains - something that had not happened to any great extent for all sorts of reasons, for about 6 months - and very enjoyable it has been too! :drinks:

The most pleasant surprise has been the extremely high percentage of trains that have moved away without hesitation, just as soon as they were "called" from the panel - I had certainly expected a few hesitations or failures.

93000080_SJP2020-09-2018-28-54(BRadius8Smoothing4)02200920.jpg.f860a4a00e5222ae83277c28d4f82795.jpg

Here is Maunsell Q class no.543 pulling into the yard ast Stowe Magna with a (very) short Enginner's train.

Aside from 'playing trains' I have also been looking at a number of locos that had ended up on the work bench over the last few months - and trying to work out why they were there, and then fixing it where possible. Where a 'quick fix' is not practical they go into the (non-PC) 'cripple drawer' which forms part of my roundtuit pile!

Tony

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

1 minute ago, Tony Teague said:

Having got the control panel back into normal use I have spent the last couple of days running trains - something that had not happened to any great extent for all sorts of reasons, for about 6 months - and very enjoyable it has been too! :drinks:

Hooray!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

a number of locos that had ended up on the work bench over the last few months - and trying to work out why they were there

I often find that if I give them a try they seem to have seen the error of their ways and behave themselves again.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I often find that if I give them a try they seem to have seen the error of their ways and behave themselves again.

Yes, seems to work like a "naughty corner" :nono:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1