Churminster & Stowe Magna, Southern Railway

Tony Teague

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Progress with weathering the second trio of Nelsons has been slow, indeed it ground completely to a halt about a week ago as I took time out from the railway to look after my ailing cat.

SJP2O4B756302160130.jpg.96963c5ebc796fb8aa102f6051ef6272.jpg

Sadly, after having said goodbye to his sister only 4 weeks ago, I had to take Tolly on his final journey to the vet earlier this week, which I found particulalry upsetting.

He was a great character who had been with us for something over 16 years and I shall miss them both.

Tony

The poor little fuzz. My condolences.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Progress with weathering the second trio of Nelsons has been slow, indeed it ground completely to a halt about a week ago as I took time out from the railway to look after my ailing cat.

SJP2O4B756302160130.jpg.96963c5ebc796fb8aa102f6051ef6272.jpg

Sadly, after having said goodbye to his sister only 4 weeks ago, I had to take Tolly on his final journey to the vet earlier this week, which I found particulalry upsetting.

He was a great character who had been with us for something over 16 years and I shall miss them both.

Tony

Please have my condolences Tony.
Big HUGS.

• Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I'm so very sorry to hear Tony. Pets have a way of becoming more than just a part of the family. 

The great cattery in the sky holds many beloved and loyal furry friends, with all the fish they could ever want. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Jack P said:

I'm so very sorry to hear Tony. Pets have a way of becoming more than just a part of the family. 

The great cattery in the sky holds many beloved and loyal furry friends, with all the fish they could ever want. 

Thanks Jack; you're right, Tolly had somehow become my "best mate" in recent months and also, being 'last in a line' made his departure rather more difficult.

I won't be getting any new pets any time soon - the commitment can be heavy!

Tony

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mick

A key difference between the two van trains shown is that the 'new / weathered' one is almost entirely kit built by me in the last 12 months or so, whereas the 'old / pristine' one was almost entirely RTR, out of the box - many vans actually having duplicate numbers.

So I am pleased with the replacement on several levels, although there is quite a lot of work ahead in renumbering the RTR stuff prior to weathering; later it will doubtless all get mixed together!

Tony

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 06/12/2020 at 04:41, Tony Teague said:

I don't want everyone nodding off whilst we return the remaining four Nelson's to the operational fleet, and so here, by way of an interlude, is the changeover for the Up Van train - the new formation being based upon all of those weathered vehicles that have been sitting around in Stowe Magna Yard:

SJPPB29011802201129.jpg.e46171ba0e33d71034bf7eef17116682.jpg

I must have had something strong to drink when I took this shot of the 'old' Up Van train as it came into platform 6 at Stowe Magna, hauled by a pristine King Arthur, No.742 'Camelot'!

Towards the bottom right of the picture you can see N class No.1824 which has been shunting the replacement vans in the yard; only 3 of the pristine vans from the old formation will be joing the replacement train - and then perhaps only for a limited period:

1559602201_SJP2020-12-0517-33-48(BRadius8Smoothing4)02201129.jpg.583e819d2b26de1cf1f06d9f79ed9de6.jpg

Lord Nelson No.858 'Lord Duncan' has come off shed to haul the replacement train and has now shunted it across to the Up Main, on platform 4, ready for the off.

819285700_SJP2020-12-0517-30-09(BRadius8Smoothing4)02201129.jpg.b452b7d2d4a2501e20da94b86cdaf79f.jpg

A few minutes later the revised formation is seen heading in the Up directions as it approaches the tunnel mouths north of Stowe Magna.

Stowe Magna yard now loks surprisingly empty, but sadly the weathering queue has grown yet again!

Tony

The weathering on your locos is looking great, Tony, I also have quite a queue with my locos. The first 6 wagons (apart from the 2nd one) of the train behind the Lord Nelson look particularly interesting, are they kits, and what are their origins?

Regards Connor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All looking good Tony. Well done. Apologies if answers to these questions re Stowe Magna station are aready in your thread somewhere but:

Are the platform canopies good old Airfix/Dapol or something else?

Looks like you used peco platform edging but what did you use to get the dark tarmac top?

Thanks for your help.

Philip 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, CCGWR said:

The weathering on your locos is looking great, Tony, I also have quite a queue with my locos. The first 6 wagons (apart from the 2nd one) of the train behind the Lord Nelson look particularly interesting, are they kits, and what are their origins?

Regards Connor

Hi Connor

Thanks for the feedback, which is appreciated.

From where I am sitting, the first six wagons look like:

David Geen 10T SR Meat Van

Ratio 12T SR Plywood sided van

Slaters LMS Fish Van

Dapol / Rails 3D printed ex-SECR van

Ratio SR Gunpowder van

They are variously mentioned on (much) earlier pages here - well most of them!

Hope that helps!

Tony

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, prtrainman said:

All looking good Tony. Well done. Apologies if answers to these questions re Stowe Magna station are aready in your thread somewhere but:

Are the platform canopies good old Airfix/Dapol or something else?

Looks like you used peco platform edging but what did you use to get the dark tarmac top?

Thanks for your help.

Philip 

Hi Philip

As I recall the canopies are from Wills SS54 kits (several, with more to go); only those on platform 1 are finished, platforms 2 - 3 halfway there and platforms 4 - 5 not started; platforms 6 - 7 are likely to go without. those on p1 - 3 have LED lamps fitted under them - again, wiring incomplete.

Yes, Peco SR concrete platform edging and the black tops are emery paper stuck on thin plasticard.

The whole station area is due to get a makeover, and perhaps even get finished very shortly as I have been working down the hill from St Giles' Church but I got modellers block around about the cinema, so it has been paused for a while!

Tony

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

It is about that time of year when one starts to look back to consider what has been achieved, or not, and so I thought that I would start with my "Missing Loco's" list, which I last mentioned back in June.

For anyone who has only recently started to follow the thread, this is the list of locos that I need in order to achieve my goal of having a model of at least one of each and every loco class that the Southern Railway had on its books as at Nationalisation, and as I have observed before, my list was reasonably short when I started the thread, but RMWebbers have generously added further sub-classes so that as fast as I can tick them off, new entries get added! :sclerosis:

The 'Missing' list has been stable for about 18 months now, with 12 locos on it, however the status of some items has actually improved recently, whilst only one may have got worse - so here is the current state of play (the number in brackets shows how many there were in the class as at 1948):

LB&SCR Billinton E5X   (4) - this build is STILL in hand; I have had the 3D printed body and SEF E5 chassis part built for an appalling two and a half years and I just have not found the    

inclination to get back to it! No excuses - I simply must get on and finish it!

LB&SCR Marsh C3        (8) - the design of a 'kit of parts' has been in hand for some time, and this will deliver a mix of etched and cast parts; I have also sourced a suittable tender kit and

identified a builder. Having recently overcome a few issues, I believe that the parts might now be available in the 1st quarter of 2021

LB&SCR Marsh D3X      (1) - the solution proposed will be through a 3D printed body, and use of the chassis from a Chivers D3 kit, which is in stock, however, design work on the body

has yet to start so this one is not going to be a quick win.

LB&SCR Billinton B4X   (12) - I had thought that this one would also require a 3D printed body solution, however, in mid-year I received a very kind offer for one to be built from existing

etches and so this is simply waiting its turn on the builder's list; this is a significant step forward.

SECR Wainwright F1     (9) - SER Kits have design and drawings in hand for a 7mm kit which they have indicated they are prepared to scale down to produce 4mm etches; no change

SECR Wainwright B1    (16) - Jidenco kit in hand but need to find a builder - this kit is way beyond me! Alternate solution to await production of SER Kits etches; no change

LSWR Drummond S11 (10) - a set of L12 body parts is in hand and I understand that the correct driving wheels are now available from Markits; the plan is to use an adapted SE Finecast

T9 chassis (think T9 with large boiler & smaller wheels), but this will not be a simple build!

LSWR Drummond C14 (3) - Mike Edge has recently produced a test build for what may become a Judith Edge kit during 2021and I believe that I am near the front of the queue

SR Maunsell I1X            (18) - I previously reported that a 3D printed body was in design, but I am not aware of any progress on this and it may have stalled; intention is to combine this

with Alan Gibson milled chassis frames which are in stock

SR DS75                          (1) - solution developed which will involve a 3D printed body, plus spud motor and some white metal castings, all now underway

KESR 0-8-0T Hecate      (1) - I have had sight of the 1st etches and these are awaiting test building which is anticipated for Q1 2021
Soton Dock Co. 0458   (1) - possible solution identified to modify CSP Agenoria kit CSP 04; kit is in hand / potential builder identified, subject to long workload

I have had suggestions of various class variations, oil burners, differing tender configurations and so on, and whilst I would always be keen to add them to the fleet if available, I don't regard them as "missing classes" - I can't, otherwise the goal would be even more unachievable than it is currently! I should also mention that actually building locos is not my forte and so with the exception of the E5X mentioned above, I am reliant upon the skills and good service of others for delivery of the finished locos.

Back in June I split the "Missing 12" as to 'safe solution / reasonably soon' =5, 'some issues to be solved' = 3, and 'fairly vague / need firming up' = 4.

I would now rank these as follows:

'safe solution / reasonably soon' =7: E5X, C3, B4X, S11, C14, DS75, Hecate

'some issues remain to be solved' = 2: D3X, 0458

'fairly vague / need firming up' = 3: B1, F1, I1X

Overall, that feels like an improvement!

Apologies for the lack of pictures in this post, but there is nothing to show!

I'll cover other progress with the loco fleet in my next update.

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
alignment!
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 2

Well, I do think he could have cleaned them a bit before dropping them off......my goodness how unkempt they look!!

They look great, I was going to type how smart they looked but then realised that would be wrong to!!

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to have been the cause of a diversion. :P

This train was a most enjoyable task, once I had sorted out how to make a white roof just dirty enough to see that it was once white. I particularly enjoyed working on the Mervchant Navy, trying to get the sides looking a little bit used, as if they'd just done a looong journey. :locomotive:

If you're pleased then I'm pleased.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1