Churminster & Stowe Magna, Southern Railway

Tony Teague

• RMweb Gold
On 25/03/2021 at 21:09, Sandhole said:

I meant to ask, you have got models of the co-co electric locos.
Are you going to run a 4COR at all?

Hi Chris

Not sure anyone has mentioned my ediface before! :D

I have a model of Co-Co CC1 (needs weathering!):

SJP2O4B937802160826.jpg.eaf4fc1b274d929787255d28a210a4e4.jpg

I bought this 2nd hand but I think it comes from an old Genesis kit and is pretty noise (open frame motor).

I'd love to run a 4COR (and other EMU's) but I don't have one.

I only have RTR EMU's, 2-BIL's, 2-HAL's  & a 5-BEL; I had various others including a COR on order from Marc Models at one point but he is no longer producing (he did the Cinema Coach & generator van that are behind CC1.

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 15

On 25/03/2021 at 22:05, Tony Teague said:

Hi Chris

Not sure anyone has mentioned my ediface before! :D

I have a model of Co-Co CC1 (needs weathering!):

SJP2O4B937802160826.jpg.ca6d9a62ff2b23d6ed970450f44c90e1.jpg

I bought this 2nd hand but I think it comes from an old Genesis kit and is pretty noise (open frame motor).

I'd love to run a 4COR (and other EMU's) but I don't have one.

I only have RTR EMU's, 2-BIL's, 2-HAL's  & a 5-BEL; I had various others including a COR on order from Marc Models at one point but he is no longer producing (he did the Cinema Coach & generator van that are behind CC1.

Tony

Very nice. Whoever built that did a very good job - if it is Genesis, it's the first time I've seen a built up example of that kit which actually looks like a class 70. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

It came to me in silver and black, although I can't find a pic of it in that condition, and some may consider it sacrilege to have had it repainted in malachite!

Tony

Absolutely not sacrilege! I think they look their best in green.

I really hope someone produces a 4-COR RTR, or any of the pre-BR electric stock. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

This might please Mr Bonwick, however, if I get up in the morning and do not feel like weathering, then who know what might take precedence! :o

It may be of interest to Mr Teague that I might be getting up tomorrow . . .

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

This might please Mr Bonwick, however, if I get up in the morning and do not feel like weathering, then who know what might take precedence! :o

. . . and getting down to doing some weathering. :yahoo:

It's more fun than ballasting.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

It may be of interest to Mr Teague that I might be getting up tomorrow . . .

10 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

. . . and getting down to doing some weathering. :yahoo:

It's more fun than ballasting.

Well I decided to join you - both in getting up and in doing some weathering!

It's also more fun than threading those insulator clips on conductor rail and a host of other jobs....

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Ooh! An E5000! Hadn't spotted that before.

I'm afraid its actually sitting there awaiting disposal....:fie: I just can't find the box for it.

At one point I had decided to additionally collect stock to enable me to run trains in the late 60's - '70's period - especially EMU's which I used to travel to school on - but I realised after a while that this really was a bridge too far and so I disposed of the RTR VEP's, CEP's , HAP's, DEMU's etc. Interestingly, most of them realised more than I had paid for them, I imagine because they were only produced in fairly limited quantities.

So if I get bored with weahering, I'll have another look for that box!

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

And so it begins!

The Easter Weathering Challenge got underway just after lunchtime today...

Not having used my airbrush for several months, I first had to clean off the spiders and cobwebs, but once done I started with a couple of smallish / repair type / patching up jobs:

SJPP402000302210402.jpg.2f8e18f5a199c126d557dcab233afc53.jpg

A couple of wagons that just needed touching up following other repairs,

SJPP402000202210402.jpg.e866e58906369d0e3ab3acf5d4d3f255.jpg

A Bachmann Nelson that I had weathered some time ago but which had needed other attention in the meantime,

SJPP402001502210402.jpg.b1620e4b5633f88fdd0e7134be2fe081.jpg

and then I sprayed the DS75 body to improve on my previous attempt at brush painting, which had looked pretty awful. I think its an improvement so now work on this one can continue.

By now I had already cleaned the airbrush twice because, after a prolonged period out of use, and despite having cleaned it after that last use, tiny dirt particles tend to come loose with the renewed uasage and so it was blocking and sputtering a bit - but I was not to be deterred:

SJPP402000502210402.jpg.b81ae26fe301d12b7294a8507a933486.jpg

So I moved on to a batch of three locos that had been waiting in the queue; I tend to work in threes as it enables me to mix a reasonable amount of paint, plus each loco can dry between coats (not that this is really necessary).

First was the LSWR K10 'small hopper' No.347 constructed for me a while back by DLT (Dave Taylor); I intend that this will only get light weathering

SJPP402000702210402.jpg.3c7b6c2509484afc8733c196e64c9f79.jpg

This was followed by the recently acquired Bachman H1 Brighton Atlantic No.2038 'Portland Bill'; this one will be recently ex-works being as it is in malachite but I felt that the over-bright paintwork just had to be taken down a notch.

SJPP402001202210402.jpg.e46a0dfddeef0e3f1247ee02f1bb9093.jpg

Finally in this batch a visiting LNER J15, No.7942 which may end up with a slightly heavier treatment.

At this point none of these three locos is finished; they may get a further coat from the airbrush - particularly the J15 - and they will certainly have washes, greases, and powders applied before I regard them as complete.

Nevertheless a good start to the weekend's challenge.

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 14
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

You did far more than me. I only managed a Class 24.

I'm still tempted by Portland Bill.

But perhaps you finished it?

Finishing my 3 will probably take twice as long as I have spent so far.....

Do you have just the one airbrush Tony?

I bought a second one a few months back and am now looking at possibly obtaining a third (this is by no means a 'brag') but I find that as I tend to use the two different airbrushes for different things - it also means I have a spare if one of them doesn't want to play ball.

Those bolsters looks really nice, I reckon you should just weather one so the number is entirely unreadable. :locomotive:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Jack P said:

Do you have just the one airbrush Tony?

I bought a second one a few months back and am now looking at possibly obtaining a third (this is by no means a 'brag') but I find that as I tend to use the two different airbrushes for different things - it also means I have a spare if one of them doesn't want to play ball.

Those bolsters looks really nice, I reckon you should just weather one so the number is entirely unreadable. :locomotive:

Well, funny you should say that!

I used to have three - I think two came free with magazines or similar and when I went on my first weathering course at Missenden I took them along; the tutor, a chap named Bonwick, took one look and told me to put those two in the bin - which of course I did, so since then I have only had the one - until today!

I now have two, and following a very timely, but socially distanced, open air visit to the said Doc Bonwick's clinic for distressed airbrushes, even my existing one is now working properly! :yahoo_mini:

I did however, receive a reprimand from the worthy doctor for having what he called a "very grubby tool". :bad:

It seems that despite my best cleaning efforts, a couple of fine hairs from the brush that I use to load the cup with paint had got into the nozzle, following which other gunge had built up around them. The moral of this tale is that one should always keep one's tool finely polished and free from gunge! :rtfm:

Tony

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Well, best laid plans etc, but the final, day 4 of the weathering challenge just didn't happen :cry:

I got so many interuptions from well-meaning family members that I was only able to complete a couple of insignificant tasks - renumbering a loco and a wagon (the LMS double bolster), adding some further detail to nos 347 and 2038, plus a front lamp to LNER no.7942, HOWEVER....

Rather than see the weathering extravaganze just fizzle out I have decided to re-schedule Day 4 to a day later this week, as I really want to be able to report that weathering has been noticably moved forward.

I will report back thereafter; now off to get a G&T.:drink_mini:

Tony

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5