Jinty's WB for 7mm

Jintyman

Guest Isambarduk

I take stationmasters point BUT I am prepared to accept that in very minor details it may be incorrect.   Rod

Very wise, Rod. 

We all have our own views on what is important, in terms of detail, and what is not.  I would not worry one single jot about the D being appropriate or not but I would worry about those dreadful universal San Cheng Crafts drawhooks that look like nothing I've ever seen on a mainline loco (even Randolph Chang, proprietor of SCC, agreed that they were totally wrong but he had to go on using them to the end because his casters had helpfully cast many thousands of them for him during a quiet period!)

post-14906-0-71219000-1532427190_thumb.j

Although I always replace the hook, it's often possible to reuse the links; here is one that I described when I reworked my RTR 8F from FineScaleBrass.

DrawhooksB-A-s.jpg

David

A great visit to Railex NE today. Delivered another Rat after sound, lights and weathering and also a Fairburn after fitting sound, firebox flicker coupled with coal shoveling and a renumber to 42085. Awaiting smokebox number and shed plate from NP.

Here is a short (shakey) video of 42085 leaving its new home, Craster at the show.

More very soon

Jinty ;)

Edited by Jintyman
  • Like 10

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a Heljan VAA , just awaiting finishing. I don't normally take pictures until the items are finished, but I thought I'd rescue my thread from way down on page 3!!!

So, Heljan VAA renumbered with Railtec transfers over a painted black panel.

Repair panels painted on as well as a replacement door in red oxide.

Ends and roof yet to do, and I'll try to make up another handbrake lever out of some scrap etch as one side was missing.

Here are a few gratuitous pictures:

post-14906-0-39361800-1534845295_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-68917900-1534845306_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-60556100-1534845333_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-78416300-1534845349_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-62320700-1534845361_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-77056000-1534845397_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-95254600-1534845409_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-53841400-1534845425_thumb.jpg

I will get another set of pictures of the two vans completed together before they go back to their owner at the end of this week.

Jinty ;)

• Like 14

What's not finished about them may I ask.....?!

I haven't touched the ends and roof yet ;)

Jinty, you are an artist when it comes to weathering. It just looks to realistic. You do 0 gauge models justice.

Thanks Coachman, very much appreciated.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jinty, you are an artist when it comes to weathering. It just looks to realistic. You do 0 gauge models justice.

Echoed 100%.  Now I am finally getting sorted with everything, I am hoping the remainder of mine will be heading your way (if you agreeable!) as they originally should have done!

Well done Jinty, looks superb.

• Like 1

The track the wagon is on, is this a diorama or part of your layout?

Matt

Hi Matt,

It is a 4' x 1' photo plank/diorama that I did to experiment with textures, trees, grasses, ballast and track building!

I'm going to be putting together a more urban flavoured one very soon as I'm getting bored with this one a bit and need a change!

My layout is Talyllyn Junction, which is also on the 7mm + modelling pages on here

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

So... just a question, if your getting bored and fancy a change you maybe interested selling this one?

Looks a impressive bit of modelling.

Thanks, Matt

Hi Matt,

I'm sorry, I won't be selling this diorama.

I'm bored with it, but it will still get used on occasion when I want a sleepy branch line scene.

Thank you for your kind words though.

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

Here is a Heljan VAA , just awaiting finishing. I don't normally take pictures until the items are finished, but I thought I'd rescue my thread from way down on page 3!!!

So, Heljan VAA renumbered with Railtec transfers over a painted black panel.

Repair panels painted on as well as a replacement door in red oxide.

Ends and roof yet to do, and I'll try to make up another handbrake lever out of some scrap etch as one side was missing.

Here are a few gratuitous pictures:

attachicon.gifWB 321.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 322.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 323.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 324.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 325.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 326.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 327.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 328.jpg

I will get another set of pictures of the two vans completed together before they go back to their owner at the end of this week.

Jinty ;)

The VAA is stunning, it looks so real! i've been looking through the earlier pictures in the thread and all the weathering is amazing, great stuff.

Steve.

Ok so I've finished the second VAA for Phil, so sorry there is another glut of pictures of yet another VAA, but I've tried to make this one a little different.

I've tried to make it look somewhat work worn with various paint chips, repair panels and some old, unused Corrosive and Sodium Hydrochloride Hazchem panels on one side and a Flammable Hazchem panel on the other side. This as well as a couple of removed Hazchem diamonds too. I printed the Hazchem's on photo paper and then run a permanent marker around the edge after cutting them out.

Then it was a series of washes, filters and a few powders to create tones and variation in the colour. Finished with the airbrush for some frame dirt and roof soot.

So here are a few pictures of the latest VAA and the two together as well.

VAA No200596:

post-14906-0-01814600-1535390392_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-44256900-1535390404_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-26754900-1535390414_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-87236900-1535390424_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-90633400-1535390436_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-72838900-1535390452_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-44468500-1535390462_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-75473800-1535390473_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the gratuitous VAA pictures, there shouldn't be any more for a while!!! :onthequiet:

Jinty ;)

• Like 3

Ok so I've finished the second VAA for Phil, so sorry there is another glut of pictures of yet another VAA, but I've tried to make this one a little different.

I've tried to make it look somewhat work worn with various paint chips, repair panels and some old, unused Corrosive and Sodium Hydrochloride Hazchem panels on one side and a Flammable Hazchem panel on the other side. This as well as a couple of removed Hazchem diamonds too. I printed the Hazchem's on photo paper and then run a permanent marker around the edge after cutting them out.

Then it was a series of washes, filters and a few powders to create tones and variation in the colour. Finished with the airbrush for some frame dirt and roof soot.

VAA No200596:

attachicon.gifWB 330.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 331.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 332.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 333.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 334.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 335.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 336.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 337.jpg

Sorry about the gratuitous VAA pictures, there shouldn't be any more for a while!!! :onthequiet:

Jinty ;)

The more pics the merrier mate, superb workmanship as always, Phil should be chuffed to bits with those.

David

The Hazchem diamonds - would they be similar to the diamonds I am sure I saw on gunpowder vans at Penrhyndeudreth (Cooke's Explosives) in the late 1950s?  A different era, I know, but.

A lovely (!) weathering job, well worth a gallery of photos.

Paul

• Like 1

David

The Hazchem diamonds - would they be similar to the diamonds I am sure I saw on gunpowder vans at Penrhyndeudreth (Cooke's Explosives) in the late 1950s?  A different era, I know, but.

A lovely (!) weathering job, well worth a gallery of photos.

Paul

I'm not sure when the Hazchem diamonds were standardised, I think maybe early 1970's.

In later years the Pen' explosives traffic was transported by road to Traws and loaded onto rail there and transported in VAA/VBA wagons with barrier vehicles.

In answer to your question I don't know for sure.

Thanks for the compliment on my weathering

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

VAA No200596:

attachicon.gifWB 330.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 331.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 332.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 333.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 334.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 335.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 336.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 337.jpg

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty,

what did you use on the roofs on the Vans? colours / process 

cheers 

• Like 2

Hi Jinty,

what did you use on the roofs on the Vans? colours / process 

cheers 

Hi Gazza,

I have used AK Interactive Track Wash (AK083) and AK Interactive Exhaust Wash (AK2040) and used individually and left to dry for a good hour or so. I then use a wide flat brush of good quality, dipped in White Spirit and dried quite a bit on a piece of Kitchen Towel and then wiped in a sideways movement from the centre towards each side.

Once I was happy with the level of grime, I then use the Airbrush and some Matt Black Enamel (Let down 80/20  Paint/Celly Thinners) and pass over gently building up a layer of what would be a staining of the roof from the exhausts of the haulage locos.

Please don't ask about the sides as they contain about 6 - 8 different washes, then filters, then powders, etc, etc!!!

I hope that answers your question

Jinty ;) 

• Like 1