Jinty's WB for 7mm

Jintyman

On ‎16‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 20:58, Jintyman said:

Well after a bit of a forced break, during which we were blessed with a Grandchild I have now turned my attention back to the Workbench

Here is a little Minerva Peckett 0-4-0t locomotive that I was asked to try and get running better.

It was jerking quite a bit, checked the obvious wheels and pick-ups first and gave them a clean with some IPA (India Pale Ale is really good for some things  ).
I then fitted a 17,000uF Capacitor in the already cramped cavity inside the model, then gave her a little test.
At the end of the test I lift the model to see how much stay alive there actually is, about 4-5 seconds I think.

Please excuse the sound level, it's a bit quiet on the video, sounded ok to the ear though!!!

Jinty ;)

Hi David,

To a self-confessed technophobe, I'm fascinated by the stay-alive concept, which if I understand correctly is an electronic gizmo fitted on board as part of the DCC stuff...? This might be too big a question (and possibly might hijack your thread - sorry!) but who would you recommend contacting to make a start in DCC?

Many congrats on becoming a granddad by the way - it's great fun being able to spoil the little poppets!

Richard

• Like 2

On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 14:00, Tricky said:

Hi David,

To a self-confessed technophobe, I'm fascinated by the stay-alive concept, which if I understand correctly is an electronic gizmo fitted on board as part of the DCC stuff...? This might be too big a question (and possibly might hijack your thread - sorry!) but who would you recommend contacting to make a start in DCC?

Many congrats on becoming a granddad by the way - it's great fun being able to spoil the little poppets!

Richard

Just to say, a big thanks to all the helpful advice I have received following my request, from Jintyman and others. Much appreciated and I think I am close to taking the plunge. I'll revert to posting on my threads about my doings rather than divert attention from Jintyman's excellent doings on here..!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...

I had the pleasure of fitting DCC sound to this lovely Midland 2F 0-6-0 and tender from a Slaters kit.

All the gubbins went into the tender, a MX696KS, a 5 x Gold Cap stay alive and two 2w 8ohm speakers. Link wires were passed through to the pick-ups and motor  on the loco to take the benefit of as many pick-ups as you can.

She runs nicely, will be much better for the drawbar fitted, but the test worked well.

Chuff rate synchronized and coasting effect increased so that the active braking can be deployed as per the prototype.

A sweet little runner, and a credit to its builder.

More again soon

Jinty ;)

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Nice work  David. The loco looks fabulous and the sound is as good. I do like pre grouping engines with their colourful liveries especially the Midland "Red". I also like the shiny black livery of LNWR Claughtons and many other PG liveries. Nice work on the loco sound it is good.

Rod

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Art Dent said:

Hi Jinty,

Looking forward to seeing my locos appearing soon after their weathering and assorted sundries fitting!

Must be getting close to the of of the list by now (he said, hopefully)!

Art

It will be worth the wait, if mine are anything to go by.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Agreed. Having seen what David could do, it was a no-brainer really. 

He he really manages to bring locos and rolling stock to life - I wish my attempts at weathering were 1/10 as good as his. 

One thing I really can’t seem to get right are the ‘oil streaks’ down the sides of tank wagons from the filler caps!

Art

10 hours ago, Art Dent said:

One thing I really can’t seem to get right are the ‘oil streaks’ down the sides of tank wagons from the filler caps!

Art

Try AK Interactive Fuel Stains, it may need a number of coats and a little bit of pre-shading with a darker wash, but it gives a sheen like appearance when dry.

Another one is the AK Engine Grime. They are both enamel washes and can be thinned more and worked with white spirit.

Jinty ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Here is a little example of the AK products on a Heljan tanker.

You can clearly see the sheen after drying. I'd put a bit of preshadi g on with fhe airbrush before hand touching up various bits around the vehicle.

Please excuse the artificual light in the Phone photograph, it had gone dark so in the garage under LED's I'm afraid 

20190826_211107.jpg.5334a1f2346c63f8cfcd66bb74fb0cb4.jpg

Jinty ;)

Edited by Jintyman
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

I too fancy some of these for Ramchester as they look excellent models. Not sure of the era but we can always use modellers licence to justify them, can't we? With all these goodies becoming available I wish I had made Ramchester a through station! However this is not possible now without adding several feet and much rebuilding of Platform 2.

Rod

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think these, or certainly very similar, were introduced in the late 50s. As ever Paul Bartlett's excellent site has loads of info.

I read that Heljan have thrown in one of their funnies with the buffers being set too close to each other, to allow the springs clear the side frames but I don't know if this detracts.

• Informative/Useful 1

Yes Hal Nail is quite correct, early 50's till the 70's I believe.

There aren't many around at the box shifters, but they can be found on Ebay and the Facebook groups.

They are also short of a little piece of pipework at one end which can be purchased from MM1 models (Ex JLTRT)

Here is a link:   https://mm1models.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=108_117&product_id=557

Craig (Muddy'sblues) was selling a couple of there style of tanks but in another livery and including the Ex JLTRT pipes.

Might be worth asking the question! 

Jinty ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...

Here's one of the Heljan 37/4's finished as 37412 in Railfreight Distribution Sector livery.

Extra Western reigion lamp brackets fitted to the side of the headcode box, as it was when working the china clay traffic.

This one's been done alongside its sister 413.

Short video to test the sound project.

Just awaiting weathering now......

I'll post some more pictures when the weathering is complete.

Jinty ;)

• Like 7

Just how I remember the Blazey /4's. You might want to revisit the buffer beam details though, you seem to be missing one of the ETH boxes and the Multi jumper. The Yellow Main Res pipes and white Control Air Pipes should fit the bracket that the ploughs go onto (Yellow above White), and the red Air Brake pipe should be to the right of the shackle as you look at it. Having said that 412 does look to have retained the Main Res and Control Air pipes under the buffer shanks as per the bufferbeam for my 37008 I've just done, needs red putting on the VAC bag and orange on the Multi receptacle tot he left of the shackle when I get round to it. I'd photograph one of the ETH ones but the only one I have done isn't here at the moment!

IMG_2228.jpg.f526dde61d3215a940c9a3abdf8c1fd0.jpg

Al.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I won't bore you all with another set of RFD 37/4 pictures, suffice it to say that 413 is finished now, and here is one picture.

JWB67.jpg.75e6dff98cb8a95f58bdbd124f31b472.jpg

But also here is a video I did of her on test on Talyllyn Junction.

Jinty ;)

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 3 weeks later...

A few class 37/4's have traveled over the WB this last few weeks.

You've seen 412 above, and you've seen 413 above.

413 unfortunately was wrong. The nose grilles should of been the darker grey, so I've now corrected that as shown below:

JWB94.jpg.d49745e1a1c51d9b38c943a1eadde45f.jpg

Next up is 37426 "Vale of Rheidol" in BR Large Logo Blue livery.

JWB87.jpg.10486b0cec4aea1ce1ea4ef5e15a365a.jpg

Next is 37403 "Ben Cruachan" in BR Heritage Green Livery.

JWB84.jpg.874314968cc8e2fab34bae376ad76313.jpg

And finally, the best livery of all, 37421 "The Kingsman" in Regional Railways Livery.

JWB81.jpg.6bb1d5bc177f0c5baf0bd4f615a3e484.jpg

That's all for now

Jinty ;)

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

I read this thread with my mouth open and in awe.  I can only hope to to start to approach your standards.

I do have a question related to sound.  I installed a Loksound V4 decoder into my Tower Brass J39 and I'm puzzled by the start characteristics.  For the first few second it staggers and makes a loud noise after which it all quietens down.  My suspicion is that start BEMF is the issue and I'm wondering if there are adjustments that can be made (I did have a brief play with the associated CVs but nothing changed that I could see).  I have to admit that the loco is barely run in so I'm hoping that once that happens things will get better.

Funny thing is that all my other locos have Zimo sound and work marvellously.  I had to go to Loksound because Digitrains won't ship to N. America.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Agree 1