Jinty's WB for 7mm

Jintyman

Hi Jinty,

I tell you what, I have seen some good weathering over the years but that wagon has to be about the best I have seen. Stunning work mate looking forwards to seeing that 08 weathered up now.

Cheers Peter.

Wow, thank you Peter, coming from you that is an honour indeed!!!

Lambourne is just about perfect in textures and tones in my opinion. ;)

I'm looking forward to getting the 08 into a weathered state, the clock's ticking, the Dapol one is nearly here, and every time I think that I've completed a bit, I find another detail that needs adding!!!!! This MMP kit is very 'demanding' in the level of detail it offers. Granted you can omit some small areas, which I am doing, but the general detailing needs to be done to lift it above the other Brassworks 08's out there.

Thank you all who have kindly commented positively, it's very kind

Jinty ;)

Wow, thank you Peter, coming from you that is an honour indeed!!!

Lambourne is just about perfect in textures and tones in my opinion. ;)

I'm looking forward to getting the 08 into a weathered state, the clock's ticking, the Dapol one is nearly here, and every time I think that I've completed a bit, I find another detail that needs adding!!!!! This MMP kit is very 'demanding' in the level of detail it offers. Granted you can omit some small areas, which I am doing, but the general detailing needs to be done to lift it above the other Brassworks 08's out there.

Thank you all who have kindly commented positively, it's very kind

Jinty ;)

No worries Jinty,

The MMP kits are very nice plenty of detail, though I am sure the Dapol 08 will be a nice model.

Cheers Peter.

Some nice work going on here, but the vac. pipes on the 08 are a bit on  the small side. 1mm = about 1.7" the full size vac pipes were about 2.5" - 2.75" so about 1.5 - 1.6mm dia.

OzzyO.

Thank you OzzyO,

As you mentioned, the vacuum pipes were too small (need to pay attention more), so some suitable copper wire was used and bent into shape. the end cut off and filed flat, with a piece of 1mm brass rod, suitably curved soldered onto the end. A couple of pieces of thin copper wire to represent flanges/joints.

A bit fiddly, but looking better I think.

Please excuse the bent front strip, it needs replacing with some very fine angle, as it's far too fragile.

post-14906-0-40427600-1478459346_thumb.jpg

A bit of cleaning up of the lifting slots needed, aren't photos so cruel..........

post-14906-0-79386100-1478459350_thumb.jpg

The pipe was added behind the rear steps and the valve bracket is also mounted, as are the sandpipes. I've retained the Brassworks sandboxes as there was very little difference (IMO) and they were mounted nice and securely.

post-14906-0-36857100-1478459355_thumb.jpg

I've nearly finished soldering on the brass fittings, so once I've finished with the brass, I can then make a start on fitting all the little whitemetal fittings that are in abundance around and underneath the running plate.

Having to work today has set me a bit back, but an extra day off in the week to make up for it will help a lot!!!

Right into the dining room with masking tape, blade, etc to make a start on masking up the wasp stripes.

Jinty ;)

Edited by Jintyman
  • Like 14

Thank you OzzyO,

As you mentioned, the vacuum pipes were too small (need to pay attention more), so some suitable copper wire was used and bent into shape. the end cut off and filed flat, with a piece of 1mm brass rod, suitably curved soldered onto the end. A couple of pieces of thin copper wire to represent flanges/joints and a small piece of 0.5mm brass rod for the valve handle to be mounted on.

A bit fiddly, but looking better I think.

Please excuse the bent front strip, it needs replacing with some very fine angle, as it's far too fragile.

Jinty ;)

Er, Jinty,

what valve handle, it's a vac. pipe all that is needed is a dummy pipe end. Air brake pipes and steam heat pipes have handles and 08s don't have steam heat! But can have air brakes, but that is more pipes than you have on at the moment.

The air brake pipes would to the right of the loco as you look at it.

OzzyO.

Air brake pipes will be going on it hence the extra holes. The fittings are whitemetal so I'll finish first with the brass bits before fitting them.

Incorrectly placed Valve handles removed.

Jinty ;)

Edited by Jintyman

Hi Andy,

I've ended up working in the morning till about 12, long story but customer coming over from Spain to pick up his vehicle is coming a day early!!!!!

I'll get in touch with Craig and find out what time for you.

My e-mail is:   chrise39540is@gmail.com   if you want to e-mail me and I'll let you have alternative contact details.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

David. Ive got a pass out for tomorrow, are you and Craig still going to Rhudland Models. If so what time? BTW my Pm is not working on my phone so you will need to reply on here.

Cheers.

Andy.

Evening Andy, I look forward to meeting up tomorrow, you seem to be loitering around the 7mm area a lot these days ..................... do we have another one who will be putting his 4mm stock on ebay very very soon  :scratchhead: ?

Best regards

Craig.

Great to meet up today Craig. And despite your best efforts I stayed true to Willsbdidge.

Hi Andy it was a nice meet up .... David's brew making skills are on top form, Andy can you PM me your address as you forgot our rough sketch for your forth coming 7mm layout plan ..... that seed is planted my friend, it will niggle away at you now, that 4mm stuff just doesn't have the presence anymore

Thanks again Jints for the little gifts

Best regards

Craig

Well 2 of my 08's arrived today, both the pre-TOPS locos, which will be having their ladders, numbers and indecisive arrows removed ready for the TOPS numbering.

I've already ordered one Zimo decoder with Digitrains sound to see what it's like as there have been rave reports about them. I have an ESU V4 Lokpilot to pop in for now and I've had one running in this evening ready.

Jinty ;)

Edited by Jintyman
  • Like 1

Well 2 of my 08's arrived today, both the pre-TOPS locos, which will be having their ladders, numbers and indecisive arrows removed ready for the TOPS numbering.

I've already ordered one Zimo decoder with Digitrains sound to see what it's like as there have been rave reports about them. I have an ESU V4 Lokpilot to pop in for now and I've had one running in this evening ready.

Jinty ;)

Hello Jinty, Poor old Andy has not been the same since your meet up, Hahahaha he has also bought a Dapol 08 and some O gauge kits, looking forward to you fitting a sound chip into your 08, watching with interest...will be following your lead....

Hello Jinty, Poor old Andy has not been the same since your meet up, Hahahaha he has also bought a Dapol 08 and some O gauge kits, looking forward to you fitting a sound chip into your 08, watching with interest...will be following your lead....

A meeting was held today in the Car Park in Bala. and a contraband of 2 x Parkside 16t mineral wagons was exchanged ............................................. We look forward to the updates from Beale Street.

Best regards

Craig.

Hi George,

Well I've learned that the Dapol 08 has been designed, from a DCC point of view, around the Zimo 21 pin decoder, as you'll need 5 functions to operate all the lights as needed. Therefore the sound file needs to be on the same type of decoder, that offers the increased number of function outputs.

So from Digitrains, I've ordered a Zimo MX644D 21 pin sound decoder with their Class 08 sound file. Cost is a reasonable £97.28 including P&P via signed for delivery. A separate speaker is required.

The decoder is here:    http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/search/mx644d-21-pin-zimo-sound-decoder.aspx

The sound file to add to it is here:    http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/dcc-sound/digitrainsound/zs08a-class-08-activedrive-soundfile.aspx

I've put these two web addresses on here because I had difficulty navigating to the actual sound file as there are just so many!

My decoder should be here by Monday so I'll get a speaker set up ready and fit it Monday and probably make a video Monday evening.

A meeting was held today in the Car Park in Bala. and a contraband of 2 x Parkside 16t mineral wagons was exchanged ............................................. We look forward to the updates from Beale Street.

Best regards

Craig.

These subversive meetings in car parks are getting to be a bit of a habit Craig!!!!

There was another meeting held under darkness in a small coastal village as well today.............................. :O

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

Ok, so I had a little delivery of a Zimo MX644D from Digitrains and I'd already made up an enclosure for one of my 36mm 8ohm/2w round speakers and placed it into the nose of the 08 and soldered up the connections.

So with this package arriving, I had to proceed into the garage and plug the thing in to see what we've got. Well it'd be rude not to!!!!!

Had a short play with it, but by no means exploring all of the features.

Then I got the video camera out, only to find it needed charging!!!!! 

So back to the phone camera I'm affraid, with shakey hands!!!!!

Video is 7 mins long, a bit of up and down the layout. 08's generally potter around on tickover, but I wanted to hear the whining traction motors as it moved up and down with a couple of wagons. I fed in the correct CV's as Paul had posted in the Dapol 08 thread to make the cab lights and shunting lights switch on and off (F20 & F21). 
(nothing wrong with a bit of thrash!!!)

I'm going to try and learn how to drive this better, it draws you in and makes you think about how the real thing is driven (certainly not like this), but I've got to say Paul has done a great job of the sound on this decoder. 

I am going to try a couple of alternate speakers, just to see if it makes a difference, but I'm quite pleased with this set up.

Jinty ;)

• Like 6