Jinty's WB for 7mm

Jintyman

I'd hoped to get a lot more done today, but a few domestic duties to attend to and then some paint swatches to airbrush up.

Then it was on with a bit more on the 08.

I stripped the front buffer beam, including the buffers. I then temporarily tack soldered the template for the correct holes onto what was left. I then drilled out the basic holes and then took a file to finish and square up the shape for the larger holes, and drilled out the pipe holes with a 1mm drill.

The template was then removed and the buffer beam cleaned up. I then re-fit the buffers and attached the small steps to the top of them, and the coupling reinforcing plate.

I then replaced the platform for the tanks onto the floor and soldered into place the two tanks and the balance pipe between them.

Nickel silver tread plates were fitted to the bottom step each side.

Then I made up a vacuum pipe that comes round from the LH side, along the base of the buffer beam then up and curved around. I used some thin copper wire to make up the false joints and then attached a Slaters vacuum pipe spring to the soldered on item.

I've just stuck one of the Dapol screw link couplings in place to give an idea

I've taken a picture of my afternoons activity, it doesn't look a lot done, but there is.

post-14906-0-53772600-1476639158_thumb.jpg

Moving down the running plate now towards the back of the loco, more during the week.

Jinty ;)

• Like 13

Well, that was a timley post Jinty.

Had a couple of friends round for some running/testing on 'Gosty hill' this weekend,but one thing that really annoyed me were the Heljan screw link couplings. :wild:

Anyhow, on seeing the Dapol ones you`ve fitted to the 08 i just had to order a five pack....  because they look a hell of a lot better than the said Heljan ones!.

Brian.

Edited by Tove

Looks great jinty

Always wondered why there was the holes shaped like upside down T's in the buffer beams

Brian

Me too Brian, and they're wonky too!!!!!

Someone will no doubt be along shortly to put us out of our misery with the answer!!! ;)

Jinty ;)

I thought they were location holes for the crane hooks to lift the loco in the Works?

Just been commenting about the Dapol couplers over on Phill Dyson's Withercombe Thread, & "amen" to the 'hate Heljan couplers' comment.

Just one request for Jinty - it is a well known fact that as soon as someone completes an excellent kit build of a loco, an R-T-R version becomes available in the shops almost immediately. So if you wouldn't mind just hurrying it up a bit with the 08, please... :jester: :mosking: ;)

I'm pretty sure they're lifting holes. The angle appears appropriate. Are they the same at the other end?

Best

Simon

Morning Simon/Funit,

They are, or should I say will be, the same the other end once I've drilled and filed them out to shape.

For some reason Bachmann didn't put the shaped holes in the buffer beams, I don't know why, as I'm sure most, if not all, 08's had them.

Jinty ;)

Just one request for Jinty - it is a well known fact that as soon as someone completes an excellent kit build of a loco, an R-T-R version becomes available in the shops almost immediately. So if you wouldn't mind just hurrying it up a bit with the 08, please... :jester: :mosking: ;)

The latest update I have received from Dapol is the Black & Blue 08's should be here early next month and they will be air-freighted over to the UK. They are waiting for the latest pre-production samples to arrive so they can confirm they are right then it should be all systems go for next month. 

So you are probably right Jint;'s may just finish my 08 before I receive my large order of 08's from Dapol (I've still got a few spare ones available). I've had the Bachmann 08 for so long I couldn't part with it even though it's total cost may well be the price of 2-3 Dapol 08's.

Regards

Chris

I collected the paint for the 08 this morning and then set about with the masking tape.

Yellow first, and then the blue, certainly a lighter shade that was on it previously........................

post-14906-0-63193900-1476888786_thumb.jpg

I've mixed this up myself to show a slightly lighter shade through wear and tear, say a couple of years in service after works.

There are plenty of 08's on the interweb showing slightly faded colours, in particular 08886!

Slightly differing panel shades will be shown through the weathering process as well.

Next up is to apply the masking tape again for the wasp stripes, then once they are done, it's the application of the transfers.

The underframe is coming along slowly, I'm making up the underfloor units for the cab end with the pipework and brake rods.

More updates later in the week

Jinty ;)

• Like 14

Looks good Jints, will you be "cough,cough" putting a black roof on it ?  :clapping_mini: ssshhh just to match the forth coming RTR model ?  :no:

Craig.

Ooohh,wash that man`s mouth out with some 3in1.......... :punish:

Brian.

Looks good Jints, will you be "cough,cough" putting a black roof on it ?  :clapping_mini: ssshhh just to match the forth coming RTR model ?  :no:

Craig.

Aye Craig,  but only a sooty dusting when I weather it.

The only froth here though is my Latte!!!

Ooohh,wash that man`s mouth out with some 3in1.......... :punish:

Brian.

3 in 1, don't you mean some DOT3?

Jinty ;)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jinty,

Looking good. I do like the Bachmann Brass 08s - very substantial and slow running, well mine is anyway - I'm hoping the Dapol one's will compare as I have a bit of a soft spot for the old '350s', and at £170 i can see a few being allocated to Marsh Lane.

Would you possibly do a step-by-step photo guide when you weather it?  Its another thing on my 'must try myself soon' list.  My 08 needs weathering, as do the two VDA vans i've acquired! So i'd be interested to see what you use and how you do it?  Might as well learn from a master as they say!

Rich

Hi Jinty,

Looking good. I do like the Bachmann Brass 08s - very substantial and slow running, well mine is anyway - I'm hoping the Dapol one's will compare as I have a bit of a soft spot for the old '350s', and at £170 i can see a few being allocated to Marsh Lane.

Would you possibly do a step-by-step photo guide when you weather it?  Its another thing on my 'must try myself soon' list.  My 08 needs weathering, as do the two VDA vans i've acquired! So i'd be interested to see what you use and how you do it?  Might as well learn from a master as they say!

Rich

Master????

Think you have the wrong thread!!! ;)

I have got a couple of VDA's that'll be going through the weathering works, as well as a few Cargowagens, so I'll try to do a step by step, but like colour and perspective, weathering is subjective, and one man's Mini is another man's Rolls!!!

Jinty ;)

• RMweb Gold

Master????

Think you have the wrong thread!!! ;)

I have got a couple of VDA's that'll be going through the weathering works, as well as a few Cargowagens, so I'll try to do a step by step, but like colour and perspective, weathering is subjective, and one man's Mini is another man's Rolls!!!

Jinty ;)

Well if you want to keep the Mini, I can take the Rolls off for at a bargain price!! Looks pretty master quality from where I'm standing! ;)

Rich

Well I've spent most of today out in the mountains with Mrs Jinty, off the beaten track somewhat.

When I got back, I carried on with the 08.

I'd been making some alterations to the loco chassis to allow the sound out properly underneath as some can sound quite muffled.

Anyway later this afternoon I set about just putting the whole loco together for a test of the sound.

I still have the underframe details to finish and the cab work as well.

The speaker was just mounted inside the body, on the roof pointing downwards, just with some bluetack holding it in place, as I'm going to try a couple of different speakers before settling on one. The body was screwed together and a trial was undertaken.

Here is a couple of videos, it should of been just the one video, but it stopped when I paused it whilst coupling up the wagons.

And the second, once the wagons were coupled up.........

Opinions, etc all gratefully recieved

Jinty ;)

• Like 11

David,

It's looking very nice, and runs very smoothly.

If I might, I feel the horn should be quite a bit louder than the engine, it doesn't seem that way. I have the same issue with several of my steamers, unless a loco is pulling hard, the exhaust should be quieter than the whistles, but by default the decoders are not set up that way. I believe it's merely a matter of adjusting a few cvs. It's probably fiddly, if not difficult to fix, but I havent yet tried.

Best

Simon

Hi Jinty,

The 08  run`s very smoothly,and its starting to look good.

On the sound,are you using a Legobiffoman sound decoder in this,and is it a OO or O gauge one?.

Thanks,

Brian.

David,

It's looking very nice, and runs very smoothly.

If I might, I feel the horn should be quite a bit louder than the engine, it doesn't seem that way. I have the same issue with several of my steamers, unless a loco is pulling hard, the exhaust should be quieter than the whistles, but by default the decoders are not set up that way. I believe it's merely a matter of adjusting a few cvs. It's probably fiddly, if not difficult to fix, but I havent yet tried.

Best

Simon

Hi have to agree with Simon the horn does sound quite feeble in relation to the engine sound, otherwise it does sound good.

Doesn't the 08 look quite naked without it's wasp stripes?

Regards

Chris

Edited by North Eastern

Jinty

Thanks for the videos of the 08. It's quite impressive, but the take-off from rest does seem a bit abrupt. Something this size and weight should just ease away, initially - with the real thing, the transition from stationary to moving is often only just perceptible. Unless the driver is an absolute hooligan, anyway . . . 

I spent some time on these 08s at Newton Abbot, and the thing that struck me at the time was what evil rough-riding brutes they were. If you were riding on the shunter's platform up front, you really had to hang on for your life. I always tried to ride in the cab, if I could.

John

Hi Jinty,

The 08  run`s very smoothly,and its starting to look good.

On the sound,are you using a Legobiffoman sound decoder in this,and is it a OO or O gauge one?.

Thanks,

Brian.

Hi Brian,

I'm using a standard 8-pin V4 ESU decoder with Biffo's sound project, so essentially a OO decoder.

There is ample ampares available and decent protection too.

There may be other videos as I'm trying different speakers, different combinations and different positions within the body too, until I get the sound I want.

Hi have to agree with Simon the horn does sound quite feeble in relation to the engine sound, otherwise it does sound good.

Doesn't the 08 look quite naked without it's wasp stripes?

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris, yes the toot is rather feeble, I agree, but it may be due to the type of speaker and it's position within the body. I'm trying alternatives until I get the sound right. If the sound is good but the 'toot' still feeble, I'll as Biff which CV needs to be changed to increase its volume.

Jinty

Thanks for the videos of the 08. It's quite impressive, but the take-off from rest does seem a bit abrupt. Something this size and weight should just ease away, initially - with the real thing, the transition from stationary to moving is often only just perceptible. Unless the driver is an absolute hooligan, anyway . . . 

I spent some time on these 08s at Newton Abbot, and the thing that struck me at the time was what evil rough-riding brutes they were. If you were riding on the shunter's platform up front, you really had to hang on for your life. I always tried to ride in the cab, if I could.

John

Hi John,

I appreciate what you are saying, but this was just a sound test, not a driving test, as I'm, at this moment just gathering information about the sound and speaker requirements.

If driven gently without a 'hooligan' at the controls, it does slip away gently as seen below....................

I use the Lenz LH100 system, and very often will press the double arrow key which moves it along by 16 speed steps when it is set at 128 as this was, so it will give it a 'Red Rum' type of start!

John, I bet these were a very difficult ride across turnouts and the usual uneven track of siding complexes with their short wheel base.

Jinty ;)

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

So Jinty,

You have found the Olympic 08!  First we have a Gold tram in Manchester to mark the Olympic champions, now we find there is a Gold 08 buried in deepest Wales! And it starts like an Olympic Champion too!!!  :jester:

Sorry, couldn't resist!  Looking good - the sound is interesting too - my 08 was one of the first DCC decoders I bought from SWD, and personally I still think its one of the best 08 sounds going, but this one from Legoman comes a close second I must say.  Im more of a Zimo chip person this days and I don't think LMB does Zimo sound, just Loksound decoders, but may have to try one of his for the next Class 47 decoder!

Anyway, looking good, keep up the progress!

Rich