Jinty's WB for 7mm

Jintyman

Hi Jinty,

Nice work on the class 08, the OAA looks nice weathered up too. 

I have been given a couple of Big Train Mineral wagons and I am thinking of detailing them do you know who does wagon detail parts brake gear, buffers, couplers. etc

Cheers Peter.

Hi Jinty,

Nice work on the class 08, the OAA looks nice weathered up too.

I have been given a couple of Big Train Mineral wagons and I am thinking of detailing them do you know who does wagon detail parts brake gear, buffers, couplers. etc

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your kind comments, I need to finish the OAA.

As for brake gear if you pen an e-mail to Parkside Dundas they should be able to oblige. I needed some bits and I got a few sprues from them for very reasonable cost.

Buffers can be had as an accessory item from the same place as well as couplings, again in their accessory listings.

The OAA wagon, Class 25 and blue 08 shunter are mighty fine models, but where do they fit into Tallylyn Junction which more or less closed in the mid 1960's. 

Regards,

0. Gauge Upstart

Hi Coachman,

In a couple of words, and excluding the 25 (which is a 'might have been'), they don't!!!

The 08 is a rescue project for another member on here, and the OAA is just a weathering job, as are the other three Heljan Cargowagens too!!!!  :O

Jinty ;)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Coachman,

In a couple of words, and excluding the 25 (which is a 'might have been'), they don't!!!

The 08 is a rescue project for another member on here, and the OAA is just a weathering job, as are the other three Heljan Cargowagens too!!!!  :O

Jinty ;)

Oh and here's me thinking we'd got you into 1980s diesels and you were going to portray the route with some running sessions showing what might have been had it survived!!! Drat ... note to self, must work harder on these persuasion techniques! :)

I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but what are you planning for motive power?  Great Western with a touch of LMS?

Rich

Oh and here's me thinking we'd got you into 1980s diesels and you were going to portray the route with some running sessions showing what might have been had it survived!!! Drat ... note to self, must work harder on these persuasion techniques! :)

I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but what are you planning for motive power?  Great Western with a touch of LMS?

Rich

I do have a passion for 1980's Diseasels, my previous layout in OO was in that period.

As far as motive power is concerned for Talyllyn, it will be, as you say, Ex-GWR with a helping of LMR.

I already have just about all of the engines I need in kit form, and I'm eagerly awaiting the RTR Panniers of which I've pre-ordered a few, but the stock will be:

a number of 8750's, including the JLTRT one I'm building

1 x 2251 JLTRT

1 x 4575  JLTRT

2 x Fowler 3F Jinties Jim McGowan Kits

1 x Ex L&Y Class 28 3F Tender Loco JLTRT

1 x Fowler 4F 0-6-0 Tender Loco JLTRT

2 x Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0 Tender Locos DJH

1 x Class 08 Green Dapol

And the locos that never ran at Talyllyn due to weight restrictions:

Heljan class 61xx

Heljan Class 25/1

JLTRT Class 56xx

And a DMU that Craig has persuaded me to have..................

So quite a bit of building ahead, and once I've got this part of the layout done and operational, I can concentrate more on the building.

Jinty ;)

Edited to say that this should really of been on the Talyllyn thread, but it's relevant to the WB anyway!!! ;)

Edited by Jintyman
  • Like 2

1 x 2251 JLTRT

1 x 4575  JLTRT

2 x Fowler 3F Jinties Jim McGowan Kits

1 x Ex L&Y Class 28 3F Tender Loco JLTRT

1 x Fowler 4F 0-6-0 Tender Loco JLTRT

2 x Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0 Tender Locos DJH

1 x Class 08 Green Dapol

And the locos that never ran at Talyllyn due to weight restrictions:

I always assumed the only LMR locos at Tallylyn Junction were the Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0's. So I'm intrigued to know when Fowler Jinties and 4F's visited and even more interested ot know when the Lanky 'A' Class 0-6-0's were there. Would they have worked off the Midland route?

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your kind comments, I need to finish the OAA.

As for brake gear if you pen an e-mail to Parkside Dundas they should be able to oblige. I needed some bits and I got a few sprues from them for very reasonable cost.

Buffers can be had as an accessory item from the same place as well as couplings, again in their accessory listings.

No Worries Jinty,

You are doing some great work on here. I will try Parkside I hadn't thought of them. I know a mate of mine used to get sprues for his 00 wagon builds. 

Thanks Mate cheers Peter.

I always assumed the only LMR locos at Tallylyn Junction were the Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0's. So I'm intrigued to know when Fowler Jinties and 4F's visited and even more interested ot know when the Lanky 'A' Class 0-6-0's were there. Would they have worked off the Midland route?

Hi Coachman,

There are pictures of the Ex L&Y 0-6-0 locos entering Talyllyn from Brecon bound for Hereford and the north. Also 4F's were a common sight at Brecon, again traveling down on the Three Cocks line from Hereford. Jinties made it to Swansea and Newport and that is a pure presumption of mine that they passed Talyllyn. I have one of those built and one in kit form that I already owned before this project started, so needed an excuse to run them.

Jinty ;)

Hi Coachman,

There are pictures of the Ex L&Y 0-6-0 locos entering Talyllyn from Brecon bound for Hereford and the north. Also 4F's were a common sight at Brecon, again traveling down on the Three Cocks line from Hereford. Jinties made it to Swansea and Newport and that is a pure presumption of mine that they passed Talyllyn. I have one of those built and one in kit form that I already owned before this project started, so needed an excuse to run them.

Jinty ;)

I thought it must have been the Midland factor through Three Cocks. I think the GWR Panniers did around 47 miles in one journey so if the LMS Jinty's were as frugal on coal then it is possible they did some long stints as well. The latter are enjoyable to watch and I certainly saw more of them shunting and on trip workings than Panniers, so I just might fall for one too. As for the Lanky 3F, one photographer at an autumn gala said the sole preserved example stole the show from Flying Scotsman!

Edited by coachmann

• 2 weeks later...

With the difficulties with my laptop last week, I've lost a couple of progress pictures on the 08, namely the underframe detailing and the cab end buffer beam detailing, etc. /But I'm concentrating the rest of today on that, but here's something I'd been asked to do for another member.

A Heljan Cargowagen in 'Blue Circle' yellow/blue livery. The person wanted a filthy finish, so I've set about it using weathering washes, liquids, powders, etc to try and recreate some dirty cement dust texture and little things like a small repaired section still in primer on one side. Once I'd finished with the aforementioned weathering process, I removed the bogies and wheels, and went through a slightly different process with them. I masked off the tyres on the wheels and airbrushed them with a frame dirt mixture, then whilst still a bit tacky, I gently applied some rust weathering powders.

Once all assembled I put it all together and attacked it gently with a frame dirt mix over the lower part and slightly up the stanchions on the sides, and followed by some very diluted black to represent a sooty finish on the top of the vehicle.

Here are a few pictures, although taken outside, it was quite dull.

post-14906-0-62870700-1478092406_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-38277000-1478092412_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-12204500-1478092418_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-72820900-1478092424_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-72558600-1478092430_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-75602500-1478092435_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-26337300-1478092441_thumb.jpg

It's back to the 08, I'm just in the process of finishing the plumbing and other bits on the cab end underframe, I will hopefully get some pictures up later.

I've also got 2 more Cargowagens in Grey livery to do as well, hopefully I should be doing those before the weekend.

Any comments gratefully recieved

Jinty ;)

• Like 5

Thank you all for the kind comments.

I've just had another sound experiment with the speaker placed on the floor facing down, with Bluetac sealing the edges to reduce any droning within the body.

I think it is an improvement I feel, even the horn seems a bit more out there!

I have just acquired a video camera that should help with my videoing, and make it a bit more enjoyable for people to watch.

I'm going to upload the two videos that I've done, should of been one, but I stopped the filming rather than pausing it when the loco stalled on dirty track!!!!

post-14906-0-61719600-1478118168_thumb.jpg

As mentioned earlier, I have been doing some work on the underframe on the cab end of the 08.

I've removed the triangular fillet on the side piece as 08886 was straight at this point. The buffer beam has had the treatment for the lifting slots and the correct holes drilled for pipework. I've also made up a vacuum pipe from 1mm brass rod and fine copper wire to represent the flanges and holders. A Staters vacuum pipe spring has been added with the vacuum ends added.The brake linkage subframe has also been added and the pipework has been made up ready to mount onto the framework.

Most of the cab interior has been made up into sections and sub assemblies ready for mounting into the cab after the loco outside has been finished.

Here is a picture, it doesn't look like much has been done, but I can assure you it has.............

post-14906-0-14377000-1478118185_thumb.jpg

And here is the second of the two videos, the camera work leaves a lot to be desired, but I will get better, I promise.

Jinty ;)

• Like 5

The 'pause' facility is mighty handy on a camcorder. Videoing on my Canon DSLR only has two options, on or off. This leaves every filming sequence a separate entity and Windows 10 doesn't support Windows Video Editor, so they can't be joined together......yet. The diesel sounds have come on well and I can appreciate them even if I can't stand the bag of spanners.....  :mosking:

• Like 1

Hi Jinty,

I tell you what, I have seen some good weathering over the years but that wagon has to be about the best I have seen. Stunning work mate looking forwards to seeing that 08 weathered up now.

Cheers Peter.