Revolution Trains proposes Class 92 in N

Revolution Ben

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

HI there,

We hope so but it is impossible to say; there is obviously ongoing disruption caused by Covid. Anecdotally I am hearing that workers in China are very reluctant to travel long distances as they used to, so recruitment and retention is an issue.

I know we are in the very last stages of production but I think the next thing we will hear is that the locos are ready to ship, and once we know they are here we will let everyone know.

We are as eager as anyone to see them!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks for the update Ben. We're all so itching. With extended time at home, we have more time for model railways :D

I might be paraphrasing, but we've overlapped 3 years since this project was announced and start, and I have this memory that RevolutioN was started (in one sense maybe) because of the frustrations that the big named manufacturers would announce projects and we'd see nothing for years, leaving us to constantly question why the models were announced in the first place. It does seem to have been demonstrated that it indeed REALLY does take several years for a project to go from announcement to shop shelf. Even with the best will in the world. I mean yes, Covid has disrupted this year particularly hard.

If I have remembered that right, would it be worth RevolutioN doing a reflective article of the realities of model railway manufacturing and why there are huge timeframes involved?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, lucazone said:

Thanks for the update Ben. We're all so itching. With extended time at home, we have more time for model railways :D

I might be paraphrasing, but we've overlapped 3 years since this project was announced and start, and I have this memory that RevolutioN was started (in one sense maybe) because of the frustrations that the big named manufacturers would announce projects and we'd see nothing for years, leaving us to constantly question why the models were announced in the first place. It does seem to have been demonstrated that it indeed REALLY does take several years for a project to go from announcement to shop shelf. Even with the best will in the world. I mean yes, Covid has disrupted this year particularly hard.

If I have remembered that right, would it be worth RevolutioN doing a reflective article of the realities of model railway manufacturing and why there are huge timeframes involved?

Sorry but that was never part of the reason we started Revolution! Nevertheless we had hoped the 92s would have been here a while ago.

Edited by red death
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2

15 hours ago, red death said:

Sorry but that was never part of the reason we started Revolution! Nevertheless we had hoped the 92s would have been here a while ago.

I reckon it went something like this:

• Dapol (under he who must not be named) bagged the Pendolino in N
  • Dapol quite clearly were a long long way off developing said Pendolino if at all
  • A certain clever modeller who frequents this parish made his own Pendolino which probably sparked ideas in other people
  • Two chaps in the pub one evening thinking about their exhibition layout future had one or two pints too many and decided to see what would happen if they asked a few mates down the forum if they fancied clubbing together to build a 9 car Pendolino. 
  • To their amazement, people were ecstatic about the mad idea, helped no doubt cos it's that bloke off the telly who talks about serious stuff (and they have a decent layout at exhibitions too)
  • Luckily for everybody concerned Rapido were able to act as partners for the escapade and here we are now with an N 92 soon to hit the rails and lots of other stuff in between.
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I think Woodenhead has pretty much summed it up.  Just a couple of additional comments:

1)   My recollection is that the original crowdfunding suggestion for the Pendolino came from DJM, on this forum, after he left Dapol.

2)  Once the Pendolino got going, we realised that the principle could hold for other niche models.  To do this we needed to create a more encompassing brand (originally it was all just 'N Gauge Pendolino') and Revolution seemed apt.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

If my 3D printed Pendolino had any part in inspiring Revolution, perhaps a repost of some of my yellow prints might encourage *cough* a similar *nudge* inspiration for some future *poke* releases...I mean who wouldn’t want some N gauge RTR On Track Plant... :bye:

David 

1D153C26-CD8E-4409-8557-4FE1D307696C.jpeg.975c79ab0e6bc27393d71c6cf6401723.jpeg2D6C5A68-E33B-45E0-ACE1-98BCD9F689F3.jpeg.4369f0d1e814c5729ddaeca2c34aef91.jpeg77F66BCE-0640-4190-8221-C11F533290A8.jpeg.5b75d79520c86d50b2e831cfc2bfdd68.jpeg

Edited by bmthtrains - David
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3

• 1 month later...

Hi Gang,

It’s great news to hear that the Class 92s are on their way. I cannot wait to get my hands on them to have a play. I have a varied set of orders from Caley (with sound) through to the unnumbered Railfreight version spread over 3 separate orders, then a supplemental order to add sound to another one.
I guess we will have to be patient a little longer to allow Mike and Ben to work through the shark-infested custard of multiple orders to ensure that everyone gets their exact spec of order. Also, we have to remember that these guys have families too and, in light of the current increase in restrictions, may find it even more difficult to get the orders out the door.

The further difficulty of getting said parcel(s) past household management may prove tricky too. Once safely in the stock box, they can be assumed to have always been there!!

Stay safe people, and enjoy your models when they arrive!

Later,

Stu from EGDL.

Edited by Stu from EGDL
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stu from EGDL said:

The further difficulty of getting said parcel(s) past household management may prove tricky too. Once safely in the stock box, they can be assumed to have always been there!!

Some years ago I had to look after a box for a HO scale Challenger for a friend as he could sneak the loco back home in his stock box so it was unnoticed by his other half. Eventually he found a suitable time to smuggle the box home. I am very lucky that my other half actually encourages me to buy stuff and has even bought herself a number of locos for me to look after and run:rolleyes:.

My 92 has been ordered as group of locos by another fellow rmwebber. Luckily I now have a test circuit around the shed to give it a run whilst the layouts arent able to go to shows.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Stu from EGDL said:

Hi Gang,

It’s great news to hear that the Class 92s are on their way. I cannot wait to get my hands on them to have a play. I have a varied set of orders from Caley (with sound) through to the unnumbered Railfreight version spread over 3 separate orders, then a supplemental order to add sound to another one.
I guess we will have to be patient a little longer to allow Mike and Ben to work through the shark-infested custard of multiple orders to ensure that everyone gets their exact spec of order. Also, we have to remember that these guys have families too and, in light of the current increase in restrictions, may find it even more difficult to get the orders out the door.

Stay safe people, and enjoy your models when they arrive!

Later,

Stu from EGDL.

Have I missed some news about the Class 92s being loaded on a ship in China?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Kaput said:

Got excited. Then saw the last paragraph about delay with the sound fitted ones and got depressed. :(

The sound fitted 92s are really not that far behind - if it hadn't been Christmas we might have delayed the non-sound fitted 92s, the biggest problem is bank holidays in the UK!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is exciting! I have two on order from C&M, which necessitated eBaying huge amounts of non-essential rolling stock so that the 92s are, as they say, "cost-neutral". This is where my decision to switch from modelling the Liverpool area to something based on the WCML takes shape.

Jim

Edited by Jim Martin
To correct the name of the shop I've ordered from (d'oh!)
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Great news, I had to check on the website but I'm glad to say I paid fully for mine at the time so I can just relax into my Chrimbo, hoping Ben and Mike will have enough space around them to enjoy theirs.

I'm expecting a bit of a 'perfect storm' with other pre-orders elsewhere turning up between now and into January, along with balances due, so mighty pleased  this arrival will prove painless to the wallet  :lol:

Regards, Gerry.

• Like 1

On 14/11/2020 at 02:09, lucazone said:

Good Lord. Why would they waste their time? Andy and Mike repeatedly explain the issues they face in producing and delivering their models in the current environment, both here and on the NG Forum, but from the constant whingeing that goes on it's obvious no-one takes a blind bit of notice.

It's shame, because every email (or article) they have to write because no-one is paying attention means the less time they have for planning and producing their excellent models.   

• Agree 6

For those like me who ordered after January 1st 2019 and paid a 50% deposit, it would seem Mike was beavering away late last night at sending out the final invoices (a manual task, as I understand it). If he hasn't asked yet asked you to hand over your remaining Christmas money I suspect it won't be long now ;)

Looking forward to receiving my original-liveried pair :wub:

Alan