Revolution Trains proposes Class 92 in N

Revolution Ben

Well mine has arrived and it’s a lovely model, though not without its faults - see below.

The positives - good runner, factory fitted details on one end saving me a fiddly job, impressive cab and roof details and clear side printing, and the pantograph is excellent.

The negatives - the blue paint in the roof well is very thick and means some of the roof detailing gets lost, and the whole top side piece seems to be ill-fitting with a gap at one end and a dent at the other. This appears to be a moulding issue as it affects the same part on the other side.

Overall my first impressions are this is a good model let down by some quality control issues. Not quite up to the exceptionally high Pendolino standards, but a welcome addition to my fleet.

David 

BAF7785B-01C9-4E53-AF53-10B966AFC51E.jpeg.c60913c5967f51cee951692137cebb7a.jpeg

9AF524A8-8569-4305-871A-8586B115B58C.jpeg.027303981f126a5771bbc02272d09d35.jpeg

Edited by bmthtrains - David

• RMweb Premium

I took delivery of Beethoven this morning and am currently running it in. It is a smooth runner (as to be expected), but does seem to be a little light. I will drop a few container flats behind her later today to see how she hauls.

It has been a fascinating process seeing the model develop, and was certainly well worth the wait.

92.jpg.2b7ef5e2eb29828c2533daa595779dc5.jpg

Regarding the top side piece, the step is less noticeable on my model (perhaps the darker colour helps). It could be that David is a little unlucky?

I now need to see about adding the pack of detailing parts (etched BR arrows, Eurotunnel circles etc.). Given my usual track record for adding detailing parts, that will be some time in 2022...

I am sure I will be one of many who will want to record my thanks to Ben, Mike and Rapido Trains for this excellent model.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Got the first part of my order!

image.jpeg.3181a6eceb34319599d545b818a3a9ae.jpeg

Now David’s drawn attention to that small dent in the roof I can’t un-see it! Oh well! If I’m being hyper critical there’s some visible flash on the light lenses too, but it’s a difficult effect to accomplish, and one even Chris Marchant shied away from!

They do seem to run well, lovely and quiet. I ran one in and stuck 28 IPAs on it managed them. The issue became drag in the curves of the small test loop I’ve got at the moment giving poor running, although it was clear the loco was trying pretty hard! They’ve got 2 traction tyres, I agree the weight isn’t massive, but they seem capable enough.

Looking forward to hearing the sound ones. Not that I’ve got a layout to test them!

Edited by njee20
  • Like 6

I thought David had just been unlucky and got a damaged model but it looks like they all have a dent in the roof. How on earth has that happened? Tight packaging?

Mine will be going back if they have the dent. £135 is a lot of money to immediately have your eye drawn to a defect every time you look at it.

Edited by ash39
  • Like 1

That was my first thought too. I’m surprised Rapido didn’t spot this during production, and while quite noticeable, it doesn’t ‘spoil’ the model for me. The dent and fit of that part, and the thick roof paint are only minor detractions from what is otherwise an excellent model.

David 

Edited by bmthtrains - David
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, njee20 said:

Got the first part of my order!

I ran one in and stuck 28 IPAs on it managed them. The issue became drag in the curves of the small test loop

My8 pairs of  IPA's have had many hours run on the test circuit. I did find that the axles were squealing a bit after while, I suspect just bedding into the plastic axleboxes. So I brushed out any chaf and applied the tiniest bit of La Belle oil (using a pin to apply) to each axle point and they now run much better even behind Dapol 66's and 67's.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Ian, it was a big ask, so I wasn’t dissatisfied with the performance at all. 4 of the IPAs were my own double-deck ones too, which are probably a bit draggier than Revolution’s, and are certainly quite light, which wasn’t helping running issues.

I have noticed the 92s really do improve from a bit of running in. A couple have been quite jerky out of the box, but even after a couple of minutes they’re markedly improved, with lovely slow speed running, even on DC. 

Had the body off one earlier, interesting the socket is underneath all the wiring for the lights, evidently you can get a sound decoder in, but it’s all fairly tight at a glance. I’d say there’s a bit of scope for more weight too if it were an issue.

Their arrival has spurred me on to build the layout too, even if the garage isn’t ready to house it yet!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, bmthtrains - David said:

That was my first thought too. I’m surprised Rapido didn’t spot this during production, and while quite noticeable, it doesn’t ‘spoil’ the model for me. The dent and fit of that part, and the thick roof paint are only minor detractions from what is otherwise an excellent model.

David 

How thick is your roof paint? Having looked at mine in particular I’m not sure I can fault it? My Caledonian Sleeper below:

image.jpg.c44335c9de73e74c4f5cd65b8d7ac1cb.jpg

edit, sorry yours is EWS, maybe a bit thicker on this one for whatever reason. Here’s mine:

image.jpg.5b9c6d4f811da7cdac4eb7f8737be9d2.jpg

Edited by njee20
  • Like 1

Stop. Posting. Those. Pictures. :D Makes me want to get mine out and have a play but I'm at work and they're at home! 

Neither of my layouts has 3rd rail or OHLE, so not sure where I'll run them!

Jo

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, njee20 said:

Had the body off one earlier, interesting the socket is underneath all the wiring for the lights, evidently you can get a sound decoder in, but it’s all fairly tight at a glance. I’d say there’s a bit of scope for more weight too if it were an issue.

Hi Gang,

I can vouch that there is space for the sound decoder as I have swapped a blanking plug and decoder between two chassis this morning as I wanted to check the speaker out on the DC only version. Obviously some care is needed as the wires are thin and probably, fragile.

Not worried about the slight tooling imperfection with the tiny indent in the roofline, and I feel that it doesn’t detract from the overall look of the loco. I’m also impressed with the running qualities, although I have yet to get a load going behind them. I did give them a touch of lube as they looked a bit dry.

I doff my cap to Ben and Mike for their bravery and foresight in seeing this project through to fruition, and I look forward to getting the best out of these locos in due course when the Mk5 sleepers come along.

Later,

Stu from EGDL.

Edited by Stu from EGDL
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Do they come stock with a Loksound V5 though, which is wired isn’t it? Wondering if a direct fit Zimo would be more of a challenge. I suppose the solution there is to just use a wired Zimo...!

2 minutes ago, njee20 said:

Do they come stock with a Loksound V5 though, which is wired isn’t it? Wondering if a direct fit Zimo would be more of a challenge. I suppose the solution there is to just use a wired Zimo...!

Hi Nick,

No wires on the decoder...simple Next 18 clip fit and the speakers are already pre-wired to the circuit board.

Regards,

Stu from EGDL.

Edited by Stu from EGDL
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, njee20 said:

You’ve got a layout, Jo! I’ve got a circle of Unitrack on the living room rug, and a 4 year old who keeps dictating what they’re allowed to haul :D 

True, my Unitrack test loop just attracts the cat... :lol:  maybe I should've brought the 92s with me, but I think 1435mm track is a bit wide!

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone received the un-numbered triple grey version yet? Does it come with transfers or do we have to find our own? (I'm looking at modelling 92022 Charles Dickens with the Rail Freight Distribution branding & logo).

Steven B

• Like 1

7 hours ago, njee20 said:

Yes I’ve got one. No decals included, but I spoke to Ben who said that they will be following on. 

I bet that post will save them a few e-mails, thanks for that :D any idea if we'll need to request them or if they'll be systematically posted to us when available?