Revolution Trains proposes Class 92 in N

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

My sound fitted 92009 arrived this morning. First impressions, it's light, noticeably more so than the recent Farish refurb 31.

It is a very impressive looking model, certainly has the wow factor straight out of the box. The detail, particularly the roof, is superb. I love the representation of the scissor mechanism for the drivers blinds! The overall finish is excellent although my example has a noticeable blob on one cab roof. I'm not sure if it's a touch up or just spatter but weathering should cover it up. Mine also has the sink marks in the roof panels but the overall fit is good. 

The only slightly disappointing aspect of the model is the fit of the cab windows, something perhaps made more obvious on the DB examples thanks to the red frames. It's obviously massively exaggerated in the photos but is also noticeable to the naked eye. I also seem to have slightly wonky pantographs when they are in the lowered position too. That said the Pantograph is probably the best representation yet in N Gauge. 

In summary, minor niggly QC issues aside, the 92 is another excellent model from Revolution/Rapido and once I've packed away Christmas (interrupted by this arrival!) and can break out the layout I look forward to testing out the sound!

9FEBE961-B65F-4823-8DEA-03F31655EEDE.jpg.b5450e689126b8ec43507b72e4077876.jpg

ADB3D4B1-6A50-4825-A0F7-0A9C2C438C44.jpg.da94da47c89714f6726797d4c6434b01.jpg

(Not the best pic but it illustrates the wonky pantographs when in the lowered position) 

B7519844-3C67-4432-BF38-EF92FB3C4C03.jpg.6566e367a66f713486bbd48ddae9bc89.jpg

Tom.  

• Like 7

The face looks absolutely fantastic, particularly the black outline on the light clusters which must be very difficult to reproduce.

Regarding the pantographs, could you not use some gentle bending force to straighten them out? I think I had to do this on one of my Pendolinos.

I'm really looking forward to mine arriving, just slightly concerned about a dented roof. I accept Ben's point that it could look prototypical but it wouldn't look prototypical if two locos passed each other with the exact same damage!

Edited by ash39

2 hours ago, TomE said:

My sound fitted 92009 arrived this morning. First impressions, it's light, noticeably more so than the recent Farish refurb 31.

It is a very impressive looking model, certainly has the wow factor straight out of the box. The detail, particularly the roof, is superb. I love the representation of the scissor mechanism for the drivers blinds! The overall finish is excellent although my example has a noticeable blob on one cab roof. I'm not sure if it's a touch up or just spatter but weathering should cover it up. Mine also has the sink marks in the roof panels but the overall fit is good. 

The only slightly disappointing aspect of the model is the fit of the cab windows, something perhaps made more obvious on the DB examples thanks to the red frames. It's obviously massively exaggerated in the photos but is also noticeable to the naked eye. I also seem to have slightly wonky pantographs when they are in the lowered position too. That said the Pantograph is probably the best representation yet in N Gauge. 

In summary, minor niggly QC issues aside, the 92 is another excellent model from Revolution/Rapido and once I've packed away Christmas (interrupted by this arrival!) and can break out the layout I look forward to testing out the sound!

(Not the best pic but it illustrates the wonky pantographs when in the lowered position) 

Tom.  

The cab windows are a perfect fit... But the ones on your model are upside down by the looks of it. 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TomE said:

Tom.  

You’re right that the red totally accentuates it, but I’d say yours is a bit worse than mine - it does almost look like they’re upside down, like Hayley said. 

FA50EBA7-FD01-4935-8582-C2AA18A5630A.jpeg.87d28645e3bd16c009b55c6a216026c1.jpeg

49BBFBA1-FE42-4853-9D18-46669132744C.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

Fitted upside down was my first thought, so I took the body off to check but the chamfer on the top and bottom of the window insert means its simply impossible to get them in the wrong way up without damaging either the window unit or the body, so they are in the correct way. It’s a shame as the poor fit does distract slightly from an otherwise excellent model when you get up close. I may try painting the edges DB red to disguise it a bit more. 

5112CC18-FF8A-4BEF-BACF-C32C73CA6AC5.jpeg.08446bcae36da0010148acab49747397.jpeg

I’ve had chance to give mine a run now and it glides along beautifully straight out of the box. The sound is excellent, as much as sound can be for an electric locomotive!

Tom. 

• Like 2

I don't have any skin in this game so to speak although I was tempted by the Scotrail loco.

It looks a really fine model overall, but I have to say once you have zoned in on that cab window issue it is unfortunately difficult to "unsee" it and even acknowledging the size to which the pic has been blown up, the definition between red and yellow paint on the cab front is not as good as I would have expected from Rapido, it looks a bit fuzzy to me. 

Roy

• RMweb Premium

got mine today  had to go to the post office to pick them they gave me a bit of a fright as it took them 15 minutes to find the parcel 

they look very good to me and having given them a quick test they run well 

one question i use DG couplings do the bogies clip out like farish locos or will i have to unclip the bogie frame to fit them 

Thanks John 

The window fitting is better on mine, though the black surrounds do indeed help further.

I repeat that I am very happy to have my 92, and would consider buying a second if I didn’t already have a CJM one. The growing list of niggles is unfortunate though, and it has certainly raised an eyebrow regarding Rapido - I’m not seeing their reputation for excellence here.

If I were Ben and Mike, I’d be rightfully pleased to bits with having produced the 92 as overall it’s a lovely and much needed model, but I’d also be a little more wary of using Rapido. The 321 is coming from Sonic Models I think, so it will be interesting to compare the quality. 

I need my house move move to complete so I can build the layout for the 92 and 321 to run on now!

David 

Edited by bmthtrains - David
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, jbqfc said:

got mine today  had to go to the post office to pick them they gave me a bit of a fright as it took them 15 minutes to find the parcel 

one question i use DG couplings do the bogies clip out like farish locos or will i have to unclip the bogie frame to fit them 

Thanks John 

Hi John,

The bogies are not designed like the Farish ones and don't pull out.  Could you fit DG couplers to the body? 

cheers

Ben A.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jbqfc said:

Thanks John 

John,

you can unclip the bogey surround using a small screwdriver under the clip on the rear of each bogey whilst the loco is upside down, the bogey sideframe and bogey axle cover which are one piece will then lift off, the coupler pocket is also on this piece!

cheers Paul

Edited by Only-Me
Missed word
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Only-Me said:

John,

you can unclip the bogey surround using a small screwdriver under the clip on the rear of each bogey whilst the loco is upside down, the bogey sideframe and bogey axle which are one piece will then lift off, the coupler pocket is also on this piece!

cheers Paul

thanks that what i thought i have to do 

John 

Thanks to all those who have posted images so far. We're patiently waiting for ours. Though the current situation has affected international shipping, we'd expect that it will arrive only in Feb-Mar 2021.

The dimples and light weight aside, the only thing we'll ve worried about is ill-fitted cab windows. 

We had originally ordered the Caledonian Sleeper one, but later emailed Revolution Trains and asked that it be changed to an EWS one. We've never received a response since though we've sent a few emails about it. Tried changing it via the website but found no way to do so. 

So it will be a surprise then... Either way, looking forward to it. 

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, bmthtrains - David said:

The growing list of niggles is unfortunate though, and it has certainly raised an eyebrow regarding Rapido - I’m not seeing their reputation for excellence here.

I have a few of Rapidos HO scale stuff including  their Amtrak Horizon coaches that arrived xmas eve via Rails. All absolutely brilliant.

I dont have my 92 yet as its with the fellow rmwebber who did one order for a few of us but looking forward to seeing it.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

We had originally ordered the Caledonian Sleeper one, but later emailed Revolution Trains and asked that it be changed to an EWS one. We've never received a response since though we've sent a few emails about it. Tried changing it via the website but found no way to do so. 

So it will be a surprise then... Either way, looking forward to it. 

The last email I had from you was 6/12/18 asking to stick with your original order - please drop us an email today if you want to change it as otherwise it will be going in the post!

Thanks Mike

On 02/01/2021 at 18:58, jbqfc said:

thanks that what i thought i have to do 

John 

I also use DGs, you may be already doing this, but I thought I would share anyway. Now my 92 is still to arrive so I'm yet to handle one to see but with the newer NEM fitted stock I trim down the DG baseplate so that it fits into the NEM pocket, I then pack the DG in the pocket with some plasticard so it becomes a tight fit but also removable should you want to put the standard coupling back in. 

Regards,

Keith.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Crompton Power said:

I also use DGs, you may be already doing this, but I thought I would share anyway. Now my 92 is still to arrive so I'm yet to handle one to see but with the newer NEM fitted stock I trim down the DG baseplate so that it fits into the NEM pocket, I then pack the DG in the pocket with some plasticard so it becomes a tight fit but also removable should you want to put the standard coupling back in. 

Regards,

Keith.

that's what i do on but i also use a very small drop of super glue on the out side edge to hold in place but i only do this on the self centring types it they fixed like on the class 92 i prefer to remove and save the mount and glue the DG in place 

John 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, red death said:

The last email I had from you was 6/12/18 asking to stick with your original order - please drop us an email today if you want to change it as otherwise it will be going in the post!

Thanks Mike

Doing so shortly. We have emailed after that, but the emails weren't delivering. Will have someone send a new email today. 

Thank you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ash39 said:

Anyone able to share any anecdotal experience of how long delivery has taken after the despatch email?

Not in a particular rush for it, just want to make sure someone is home to receive it.

I received my despatch email on the 30th and I received my parcel this morning (Jan 4th). Would have received it on Saturday if I hadn't requested delivery to my work address! Considering I'm in France I think that's pretty impressive. 

However I must say, be careful when opening them that nothing falls out. Both of mine had a handrail off before even opening the case, one was wonky but the other was sitting at the bottom of the box (see cabs at right-hand side of photo). Thankfully it's nothing a tiny drop of glue won't fix on the workbench this evening, but with a £135 model you'd expect the factory to glue all the parts on adequately. One for the QA checks there.

Still, I haven't given it a run yet but it's a fantastic model to look at. Mine both have "the dent" but you really have to look hard to see it, it doesn't bother me personally. Hats off the team for getting this out of the door, might try to get myself a Caledonian Sleeper one.....

Alan

IMG_20210104_133330087_HDR.jpg.b0ab7b30cc31dd2369d938e08ea8576c.jpg

Edited by jivebunny
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Depending on exactly when you ordered your order *might* have tracking details on our website but that is only automatic for orders placed from around Dec 2018 onwards.

All models should in theory be with you in 1-2 working days from the point they were dropped off at the PO but that obviously depends on the RM depots that your parcel has to pass through to get from us to you - there are a lot of unpredictable delays in the post as different sorting offices etc are impacted at different times by the impact of COVID-19. 

Cheers Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1