Revolution Trains proposes Class 92 in N

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Just a quick note to say that if anyone does lose a buffer, or any other part come to that, please email the address in the instructions with the part number and we will do our best to supply replacements.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, roundhouse said:

I also notice that many places don't have the cheaper Zimo next 18 decoders in stock but did find the Zimo ones at Peters Spares after a fellow rmwebber pointed me in that direction. Its a loco that wont get much use till I build a new N scale layout so no point spending on a top of the range decoder.

??????????

Just because they're twenty quid doesn't mean that they aren't top of the range.

John P

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jpendle said:

??????????

Just because they're twenty quid doesn't mean that they aren't top of the range.

John P

I think they are superb hence why I use them but too often if you mention 'cheap' on the forum you get comments that you should be using dearer decoders.

Edit - perhaps I should have said good value decoders

Edited by roundhouse
  • Agree 1

We have taken delivery of the Revolution Trains N Gauge Class 92 electric locomotives including our Exclusive Stobart Rail liveried No. 92 017.

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/n/31/Something-in-the-Air-the-Revolutions-here---The-Revolution-Trains-N-Gauge-Class-92s-have-arrived-including-our-Exclusive-Stobart-Rail-liveried-92-017

629676012_200820REVOLUTION92017_3.jpg.fd4a5e6098b35025c833da61bb821c78.jpg

Note: Image is painted sample. The cab windows incorrectly have black window surrounds - this has been corrected on the production versions.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steven B said:

Their current use on the Caledonian sleepers aside, were the class 92 ever regulars on passenger trains? In BR days all I've been able to find is the very occasional rail-tour.

Steven B.

Hi Steven

I don’t think so. They were designed with the Nightstar cross-channel sleepers in mind but that obviously never got into service. 

cheers Mike

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 08/01/2021 at 00:30, Ben A said:

Hi Jo,

It should be straightforward to put a small square of tape across the end of the light guides for the cab interior light and, if you want, the top marker, so that while the LEDs are on, no light makes it to the 'bulbs.'

For the tunnel rings, I was wondering about the red interior edges myself.  It is a *very* subtle effect; I am thinking about pressing them onto a piece of slightly de-tacked masking tape, running a red wash over them, waiting for it to start drying then rubbing it off the faces to leave fine red beading, hopefully, just on the half etched lines and inner edges.  The outer edges are not red AFAIK.

cheers

Ben A.

I have had the body off to fit the decoder so decided to use small rectangles of black electrical tape over the cab interior light channels. Very straightforward to do and now the cabs are dark when the loco is running.

I am currently experimenting doing the red edges to the tunnel rings using diluted acrylic red.

20210114_142511-picsay.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Gang,

Looking forward to being able to order the surprise 2nd GBRF 92 to add to the Caley 92 already in the stable.

Question is whether I continue to resist 92017 from Kernow....the spirit is weak!!

And talk of a 1:1 order today for Class93s has started the frothing as to whether anyone will take this on as a project, subject to licensing issues for the design.....Time will tell.

Later,

Stu from EGDL

Edited by Stu from EGDL
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, red death said:

Hi Steven

I don’t think so. They were designed with the Nightstar cross-channel sleepers in mind but that obviously never got into service. 

cheers Mike

Hi Gang,

They we’re definitely ‘freight only’ locos for most of their career until GBRF decided very wisely to use them for the Caley Sleepers. Until then, only a few rescues after failures and rail tours ever saw Class 92 haulage. In the very early days, they were not allowed to couple direct to the stock and had a loco marshalled between the 92 and the rail tour stock.

I remember having a 92 from Crewe to Mossend on an Edinburgh tour way back in the early 2000s...I’ll try and dig a pic or two out if I knew where they were.

Later,

Stu from EGDL

On 14/01/2021 at 19:50, Stu from EGDL said:

Hi Gang,

Looking forward to being able to order the surprise 2nd GBRF 92 to add to the Caley 92 already in the stable.

Question is whether I continue to resist 92017 from Kernow....the spirit is weak!!

Later,

Stu from EGDL

92043 duly ordered....

Mike has loaded the extra locos on to the website last night, so I got in quick, heeding the warnings that there were not too many spare after the dealers had got theirs.

Later,

Stu from EGDL.

• Like 1

Well at least one Class 92 has made it's way to the "PegasusDesigns & JBM" HQ in India.... 

I bought this as a gift for someone. 

Arrived in one piece #ThankYouIndiaPost

Thought I'll give it a quick check before it's gift wrapped and sent off!! 

IMG_20210123_113452.jpg.972afd6c2f2f2eb4607e9ef5133b5326.jpg

IMG_20210123_113442.jpg.96d76d2248d28349d5fc08f7bb632807.jpg

IMG_20210123_113407.jpg.fe520e17041bdf3aca794582ae498718.jpg

IMG_20210123_113402.jpg.95ee00e47f26b70d1416497922b0bfb1.jpg

I haven't had the opportunity to scrutinize it. But first impressions are positive. One lamp bracket was broken but thankfully still there. 

Once it is repaired, I'll do a proper review and send it off. 

• Like 4

On 14/01/2021 at 13:34, Steven B said:

Their current use on the Caledonian sleepers aside, were the class 92 ever regulars on passenger trains? In BR days all I've been able to find is the very occasional rail-tour.

Steven B.

As noted previously - the answer is no and this is taking Rule 1 too far!

Nick 

20210123 Cl 92 and B set.jpg

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

Well... I had my time with the model, and now it has been sent off as a gift to the new owner. 

Just thought I'd share my thoughts, a mini review of sorts? 

OVERALL:-

The Revolution Trains Class 92 certainly captures the look and feel of the prototype faithfully, something that I felt that the CJM Class 92 did not do 100% but got pretty close. 

QUALITY:-

To begin with, as others have also mentioned, the model is definitely on the light side. Upon taking the body off, it is apparent that there's a lot more plastic on the chassis that metal. But I don't have a rake of coaches to test it out. So I'll leave the weight issue aside for others to decide. Aside from the weight, the overall build quality is absolutely superb. There's a couple of fuzzy areas around the headlights, but it is in an awkward place, and I'm a 100% certain I couldn't do a better job. One lamp iron was bent out of place and it fell out later on. Thankfully it was found and glued back quickly. The fuzziness around the headlights was sorted out with a bit of yellow paint.

8.5/10 for quality

DETAIL:-

It's all there! The model captures the look and feel and detail of the prototype faithfully. There's a wealth of separately applied detail all over the place. It really is an N gauge marvel. The highlight for me is obviously the pantograph. Very finely replicated and well done. The silver pantograph head was a bit hard on the eyes. So I painted it black!! 

9.5/10 for detail. 

PERFORMANCE:-

Straight out of the box the running was horrific. It wouldn't start until the controller was well past 25%. It then surged forward and stuttered and shuddered and stalled every now and then. I found it odd, or maybe I had high expectations in Rapido after all they are supposed to be known for their quality. Anyway, it had to be run in, so all was not lost. I ran the loco in for 30 mins in each direction. This did very little to improve the running. Whilst it started more easily and stuttered and shuddered less, it was still there and still noticeable. Last resort was lubricant, I was hesitant as the instructions specifically said don't add lube. A couple if dabs of low viscosity lubricant on each gear and the Class 92 runs like a dream. Probably my second best runner after the Dapol Class 68. So thankfully it was nothing major. Just a false alarm and lubricant to the rescue. The model is fairly smooth now. It doesn't stall anymore. It starts and stops smoothly and the only stuttering or shuddering I encountered was when it entered a curve (Peco 4th radius). I'm fairly certain that the shuddering now is the lack of weight. 

07/10 for performance. 

IMG_20210124_140802.jpg.ee8f8de7041bfbb9b211a7e40b5729f5.jpg

IMG_20210124_140719.jpg.84614ec40d412c46d1f9ec47661d70a8.jpg

IMG_20210124_140622.jpg.44eb31a9eefa40b74a715645f2ce28b8.jpg

IMG_20210124_140833.jpg.f3f9fa03098e74c1a7ab35dd801a71a1.jpg

To sum up, the Revolution Trains Class 92 is a must have for anyone who likes the Dysons!! Whatever issues I faced are probably one off cases and all of them could be fixed with ease. This is a hobby that requires modelling after all.

What can be improved? 

- For me personally, the biggest improvement I'd love to see would be the weight. I was genuinely surprised by the lack of it. I think the lack of weight has certainly impacted the running. 

Go and grab your Class 92s soon! I regret not getting more when I could get them at the early bird prices (donations anyone?).... 

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 6

Having quite a few Hobbytrain locos with single arm pantographs I've developed quite a thing about bits that stick up above the pantograph wiper- which Hobbytrain's do at times.

Looking at the photos it appears the Class 92 might suffer the same problem.

Can anyone confirm it is just the angle of the photos and the pantograph wiper is smooth with nothing projecting through it at all times?

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

Can anyone confirm it is just the angle of the photos and the pantograph wiper is smooth with nothing projecting through it at all times?

Les

Yes, as Ben says, it’s posable (I’m guessing Hobbytrain ones may be sprung?), so it depends a bit how you raise it. Set properly it’s no issue. It’s absolutely hands down the best n gauge BWHS pantograph I’ve seen, by a country mile. It really only has Dapol’s effort for company and that’s about 100% too long, mind!

I’d perhaps like them to be a little bit ‘tighter’, I may add a bit of Tacky Wax or something to mine in due course, as I find there’s a definite sweet spot when raising them, but that said the couple of locos that are on display haven’t had any drooping issues!   

• Agree 1

I'd like to express my thanks and appreciation to Revolution for this fine model as well. A long time Channel Tunnel enthusiast, I cant tell you how exciting it is to complete the traction line up for my endeavours. The model is exquisite, the running is beautiful and the capture is perfect.

Thank you to Ben, Mike and everyone involved in this project. The wait was worth it, even if I did get restless once or twice. :D

channel_tunnel_stock.JPG

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

hi folks 

just test running my 92003 model and turned my back for 2secs and low and behold my 2yr old son got a hold of it and pulled one of the bogies off.

been trying to get it back on but struggling to get the driveshaft and connectors line up correctly

anyone any tips 

cheers 

john

NZ

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Hearts1874 said:

hi folks 

just test running my 92003 model and turned my back for 2secs and low and behold my 2yr old son got a hold of it and pulled one of the bogies off.

been trying to get it back on but struggling to get the driveshaft and connectors line up correctly

anyone any tips 

cheers 

john

NZ

Oh blimey!  The bogies aren't the simplest to refit.   I suggest you write to us via the support email address; our repairs agent has a technique for refitting bogies and will probably be able to take you through it.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/01/2021 at 23:01, Ben A said:

cheers ben 

will contact support

On 28/01/2021 at 23:01, Ben A said:

Oh blimey!  The bogies aren't the simplest to refit.   I suggest you write to us via the support email address; our repairs agent has a technique for refitting bogies and will probably be able to take you through it.

cheers

Ben A.