Revolution Trains proposes Class 92 in N

Revolution Ben

On 29/01/2021 at 02:11, MGR Hooper! said:

It's a pity the 2 year old can't help with reverse engineering just yet.... :jester:

On a serious note, I do hope it can be repaired. Otherwise sending a model back and forth is both expensive and time consuming.

lets hope or will stored in a siding just like crewe lol

• Like 1

Hi Gang,

The Postie has today just dropped off the decal sheet for the unnumbered 92.

of course, the difficulty is now to work out which one to do!!!

Thanks to the Revolution Trains team for the excellent post sales support by ensuring the decals were provided and manufactured to create a truly individual loco.

Later,

Stu from EGDL

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 24/06/2021 at 14:46, shanks522 said:

Hello all, 

few snaps you may like, I’m playing around with eazi line on the OHLE, pleased so far. 

4D6A1581-BA79-4D93-B82B-EFA9CE47CB06.jpeg.5e3c98352e956fdc2ce31f72a7d74770.jpeg

589D870C-5E3B-4420-9A02-59C28FBA69F3.jpeg.ec7494fe673bf5cd81e60d5c00a959eb.jpeg

Graham 

Really like the look of the wire's fella 

• RMweb Gold
On 24/06/2021 at 14:46, shanks522 said:

Hello all, 

few snaps you may like, I’m playing around with eazi line on the OHLE, pleased so far. 

4D6A1581-BA79-4D93-B82B-EFA9CE47CB06.jpeg.5e3c98352e956fdc2ce31f72a7d74770.jpeg

589D870C-5E3B-4420-9A02-59C28FBA69F3.jpeg.ec7494fe673bf5cd81e60d5c00a959eb.jpeg

Graham 

Are you planning to tension the lower wire Graham? When I played with this a while back I found a bit of tension in the contact wire and a little bit of slack in the catenary wire stopped the contact wire bowing upward when the droppers were added.

Tom.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

That wire looks really good ;) I see the lower arm of your pantograph is resting in the pantograph well though, is there a problem with it? The pans on my 92s seem to stay posed without issue, as seen in various posts on the previous page.

Alan

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I’m pretty sure (both from the info from Stobart and from looking at lots of photos) that it never had a black roof.

Photos of the real thing suggest (depending on light and amount of reflection) that the roof was either EPS blue (ie as originally painted and the same colour as the pantograph well) or a mid-grey - some photos suggest one colour, others a slightly different colour. We went with the information from Stobart. 

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 07/12/2021 at 18:54, Adamphillip said:

With the popularity of the class 92, could we be seeing the rest of the 1980's-1990's electric locos? like a N scale class 90, or a class 91 with mk4's seeing as the mk5's appear to be as popular?

Last news on the Cavalex Class 91 and stock.   

• RMweb Premium

Actually it was both scales, and Cavalex said they were continuing the N gauge one. However the last post of that thread sums it up for me - neither Cav nor Alex even bothered starting a thread for the n gauge model, and here 2 years later there’s been nary a peep. The silence is deafening. 

The trouble with the 90 has always been Bachman’s potential to spring one at one of their quarterly announcements. I personally don’t think the 91 would be a particularly strong seller. There aren’t that many ECML layouts, and they’ve never really worked anywhere else in service. Classes 81-85 maybe, but before my area of interest!

18 hours ago, njee20 said:

Actually it was both scales, and Cavalex said they were continuing the N gauge one. However the last post of that thread sums it up for me - neither Cav nor Alex even bothered starting a thread for the n gauge model, and here 2 years later there’s been nary a peep. The silence is deafening. 

The trouble with the 90 has always been Bachman’s potential to spring one at one of their quarterly announcements. I personally don’t think the 91 would be a particularly strong seller. There aren’t that many ECML layouts, and they’ve never really worked anywhere else in service. Classes 81-85 maybe, but before my area of interest!

yeah, as someone who lives on the east coast mainline and is old enough to remember the class 91s and HSTs on the route but nothing before that I want to be able to run trains of my childhood, would like to know why people aren’t as infatuated with modern ECML trains as other regions.

15 minutes ago, Adamphillip said:

yeah, as someone who lives on the east coast mainline and is old enough to remember the class 91s and HSTs on the route but nothing before that I want to be able to run trains of my childhood, would like to know why people aren’t as infatuated with modern ECML trains as other regions.

Hmmm! Staying very "modern"

You've got HST's and the CL800 for the ECML, for the WCML we've got Pendolinos, the CL92 and the CL86, the Western has HST's and the CL800.

For whatever reason (OHLE maybe?) electrified UK mainlines have always been relatively underserved in N Gauge.

Regards,

John P

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Adamphillip said:

Not sure I'd call the period where 91s and HSTs ran all that modern, unless you mean just before the introduction of the IEP.

For the 1990s you can get classes 20, 31, 37, 47, 56 and 58 in N gauge, there are also DMUs 101, 150, 156, 158 and you've got the class 320/1 coming from Revolution albeit wrong livery for the time as it needs a Metro livery.

For post privatisation you do have similar options to choose from too less anything scrapped but we are lacking a TPE 185 and it does get harder if you want to model surburban and outer suburban services from Kings Cross with only the 313 on the horizon.

6 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Not sure I'd call the period where 91s and HSTs ran all that modern, unless you mean just before the introduction of the IEP.

For the 1990s you can get classes 20, 31, 37, 47, 56 and 58 in N gauge, there are also DMUs 101, 150, 156, 158 and you've got the class 320/1 coming from Revolution albeit wrong livery for the time as it needs a Metro livery.

For post privatisation you do have similar options to choose from too less anything scrapped but we are lacking a TPE 185 and it does get harder if you want to model surburban and outer suburban services from Kings Cross with only the 313 on the horizon.

Being from the Peterborough area and being born in 94, I only really remember class 91s, HSTs, class 321s, 317s, 365s, the odd charter train and class 90s on replacement duties

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

55 minutes ago, Adamphillip said:

Being from the Peterborough area and being born in 94, I only really remember class 91s, HSTs, class 321s, 317s, 365s, the odd charter train and class 90s on replacement duties

It is all relative isn't it? For me I remember the 91s arriving and it seems very strange to see them departing again "so quickly". I still think of them as modern and that what went before was the "proper railway" with Deltics and then HSTs.

Roy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Scott B said:

Built 1988-199 IIRC, so 30-33 years Roy, perhaps not "so quickly" ;-)

Hence the quotes... it just seemed so short, perhaps in part because we were used to stock that wasn't an unmitigated disaster lasting 40 years+. Look at the 20, 37, 47s, Mk.1 EMUs etc.

Roy

43 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Hence the quotes... it just seemed so short, perhaps in part because we were used to stock that wasn't an unmitigated disaster lasting 40 years+. Look at the 20, 37, 47s, Mk.1 EMUs etc.

The big difference is the mileage put in remember (also I don't think most of the MK1 EMUs made it to 40+ years, closer to 30 in the main part).

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, frobisher said:

The big difference is the mileage put in remember (also I don't think most of the MK1 EMUs made it to 40+ years, closer to 30 in the main part).

In terms of numbers, more Mk1 EMUs made it to 40 years (or just short) than didn;t:

Class 305 - 1959 - 2001

Class 307 - 1954 - 1993 (only 39 years)

Class 308 - 1959 - 2001

Class 309 - 1962 - 2000 (only 38 years)

Class 410 - 1956 - 2005

Class 411 - 1956 - 2005

Class 414 (and its reformations) - 1955 - 1995 with GLVs lasting until 2005

Class 415 - 1951-1995

Class 416 - 1955-1995

Class 419 - 1959 - 2004

Class 421 - 1964 - 2005

Class 422 - 1964 - 2010

Class 423 - 1967 - 2005 (only 38 years)

That sums up most of the DC Mk-1. Only the REPs/TCs didn't last long.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Missed the 4EPBs

Morning all,

I think a class 90 would be a big seller. With the class marching on under freightliners umbrella now (albeit in one of the most awful liveries IMO) there is plenty of scope for liveries and eras to be covered. AND, there are also plenty of WCML layouts out there and also those who don't have a layout that covers the line to purchase one "because it's a nice a model and I want one"! I think if Bachmann were going to do one, they would have done by now. The Farish model is quite clearly still in high demand as they are selling for crazy money on eBay, some fetching over £100, and some of those the older Poole models, which is non too shabby.

I have no use for my class 92 but I bought one as a its a stunning model and if I want to run it on a Swiss based layout I"m going to do it, rule one and all that! :D

Perhaps one to consider for the new year Mike and Ben.....;)

Merry Christmas all!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Agree 1

Can only agree with the class 90 comments, hoping one comes out soon. Even when only modelling (loosely) the 95-99 period I can think of about 10 livery options which I'd want to do and a few renaming/renumbering of the same livery ontop of that. I know not all liveries will be possible RTR, but it does mean the model can keep giving with second, third (and more) releases in the same way a 47 or 37 has the potential for a very large number of models out of the same tooling. 

The stumbling block for both revolution and fairish being each other is something I very much understand. I do wonder if they wouldn't be better off contacting each other and trying to compliment each other rather than competing? Maybe I am too optimistic, but something a bit like the dreaded oil companies have done (on a smaller scale of course) with such success for generations??

Either way I love the 92, it's a brilliant model and am hoping to get some time to weather it lightly over the Xmas holidays. 

All the best,

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

With Bachmann having a folder full of CAD from their OO Gauge models I think Ben and Mike would have to be feeling very brave to commission either the 85 or 90.

Perhaps we need to catch them at the end of a night out and get them to phone Sonic with an order. Is there a commercial equivalent of a late night, post pub eBay purchase?

Steven B.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2