Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Wishlist Poll 2016

• RMweb Gold

The Wishlist Poll 2016

The Wishlist Poll 2016 will be running from Monday 10 to midnight Saturday 29 October – full details on RMweb from Monday.

As is now traditional, we have provided some ‘Questions & Answers’ in advance for you on the attached PDF.

We very much urge you to take your time – you have a full three weeks! – and have a look through The Guide first. This will help you fix in your mind where things are so that you can vote with confidence when you actually ‘go in’.

00 voters please note….

As Hornby has recently announced the H Class 0-4-4T and Oxford Rail the GWR 6-wheel Brake Van (Diag.AA1), we have deleted them from The Poll. However, as these announcements came after Andy York had already compiled the ‘computerised bits’, we have had to leave a blank line this year where they would have been. You will find them thus:

Loco: SR & Constituents

0-4-2 LBSCR B1 Gladstone (LBSCR 214)

Blank line

4-4-0 LSWR Adams T3 (LSWR/SR 563)

Freight Stock: Pre-1948 (but including BR descendants)

GWR Brake Van 24ft – Toad (Diag.AA15 of 1918)

Blank line

GWR Cattle Wagon (Diag.W10 of 1924)

If anything else gets announced before we ‘go live’, you may find other blank lines!

N voters will find the lists without any blanks (at the time of writing, Friday pm).

OK everyone… happy voting! If you have any queries, please email The Poll Team at the address below.

Brian Macdermott (on behalf of The Poll Team)

thepollteam(at)gmail(dot)com

0. Q&A and Introduction V3.pdf

Q&A and introduction V3:

We have, as usual, deleted items which have been announced since the last Poll as well as the Infrastructure & Lineside category. We couldn’t do the subject justice as it is so vast.

Brian I have to agree that "Infrastructure & Lineside" is too vast for the format of your poll. I'm a bit disappointed by losing the opportunity to send a message to manufacturers about the importance of lineside but I think this decision makes sense.

I believe lineside is a bit overlooked as a commercial opportunity - not so much things like houses and station buildings - there are plenty of offerings between kits, and resin offerings like Skaledale and Scenecraft.

Dapol's signals seem to sell out whenever retailers can get them in stock.

I think it's interesting that despite being on the top of the poll for a couple of years no one has introduced a working level crossing, and I would think that accurate more representative RTP working turntables would also be popular.

We do have the recent announcement of the 'working water tower' from Dapol with much mixed reaction.

It begs the question for me, whether the whole market includes as many layout builders as we might assume, or whether it is actually dominated by people who purchase rolling stock (essentially collectors, perhaps with a future layout in mind, whether or not that eventuates) without necessarily building a layout of their own.

I suspect that even those who build a layout purchase more rolling stock than their layout can accommodate - and that perhaps I need to give manufacturers more credit for not focusing as much on lineside items as I might like.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Dave R

We did discuss the stock back in December but - sadly - it hasn't made it onto the list this year.

I will put it on the 2017 Agenda for you now.

It is always a difficult matter to decide what goes on and what gets left - but as models get announced year-by-year, that does leave us some gaps. What we have to avoid is what one Team member aptly summed up as 'content creep'. As noted in the Q&A, we could easily list 10,000 items.

Brian Macdermott (on behalf of The Poll Team)

Before all the moans start, may I just thank "The Team" for their efforts.

Yes, me too.

I was particularly pleased to see some of the M&GN items you have listed - I don't have great hopes that vast numbers of modellers will suddenly be converted to my interests, but it's lovely to dream.

It was also particularly good to see the "proper" E4 - the delightful GER 2-4-0 - listed. If that's ever manufactured I think it will be the first 2-4-0 to modern standards?

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks, Phil and Paul - The Team appreciates it.

We know we can't please all of the people all of the time, but we do give any suggestion 'a fair hearing'. I take on board any comments - be they positive or negative - and go back to The Team with a detailed Agenda for discussion during November.

Whilst it is true that the list is 'under our wing', we do our utmost to ensure that we are showing what the greater majority of modellers and collectors want to see, without getting into 'content creep'. The 00 list comprises 717 items (down from 719 when we first 'closed for press' in mid-September). If we had just two more items in each of the 20 categories, you don't need to be Einstein to see that that would take us up to 757. Very easy to add... very difficult to contain.

Regards

Should the option of flush-fronted Class 45s and 46s not be on the list to choose from? I wouldn't really have thought that to be vastly different to the options which are listed - e.g. Class 28s with wrap around fronts, DRS Class 20s

I didn't notice an option for Royal Train coaches

• RMweb Gold

Hello Rovex

As you will have read in the Introduction and Q&A, you can vote for what you would realistically wish to buy at some time in the future. We feel it highly unlikely that anyone would want all of any listing. Have you actually bought every GWR loco ever produced?

• RMweb Premium

I wonder in how many future polls I'm going to have to select that SR U class mogul* :)

* there are others there as well, like the LB&SC Terrier. I'm getting a bit bored with selecting the same items... ;)

• RMweb Gold

A general point—I continue to believe that the year.2000 cut-off point is not appropriate for N gauge where the significant improvement in standards came later than in OO; leaving it where it is rules out including a number of models which are not up to present-day standards (Farish V2 with skirt under boiler; Dapol Ivatt/M7/45xx for example.

It may well be that a new model of one of these to current standards of appearance AND performance would be more popular than any of the choices available—why can't we find out?

At the very least, shouldn't the cut-off year advance with time?

A general point—I continue to believe that the year.2000 cut-off point is not appropriate for N gauge where the significant improvement in standards came later than in OO; leaving it where it is rules out including a number of models which are not up to present-day standards (Farish V2 with skirt under boiler; Dapol Ivatt/M7/45xx for example.

It may well be that a new model of one of these to current standards of appearance AND performance would be more popular than any of the choices available—why can't we find out?

At the very least, shouldn't the cut-off year advance with time?

Although I no longer model in N I agree - I think the cut off here should be when Bachmann started producing their own models (which excludes their rehashes of the old Poole models) - there was a major step change from this point, although I can't recall when Dapol also started producing decent N gauge models - if it was earlier then perhaps this date should be used?

• RMweb Gold

Just another thumbs up for the Poll Team. My journey into Paris this morning was enlivened by reading first the Guide and then voting in those categories for which I care. Thanks also to Andy Y for making the end-process so easy for us voters.

I note elsewhere that those who model prior to 1923 feel the best has not been done. Their ongoing crusade against the wicked capitalists who offer the wrong models with intent to break even or better, knows no bounds. I just wonder where the Poll Team is going to find the dozen or so extra wise men or women who will enable the aspirations of the pre-1923 bunch to be met.

Just another thumbs up for the Poll Team. My journey into Paris this morning was enlivened by reading first the Guide and then voting in those categories for which I care. Thanks also to Andy Y for making the end-process so easy for us voters.

I note elsewhere that those who model prior to 1923 feel the best has not been done. Their ongoing crusade against the wicked capitalists who offer the wrong models with intent to break even or better, knows no bounds. I just wonder where the Poll Team is going to find the dozen or so extra wise men or women who will enable the aspirations of the pre-1923 bunch to be met.

Of course, it's all too tempting to be sarcastic, particularly when, one presumes, your interests are more amply catered for. 

So, for the record, no criticism was made of the poll-team, whose hard work has been acknowledged, as have the difficulties that they face. 

Further, the OP to which you refer was, indeed, addressed to the "pre-1923 bunch" in their own little ghetto, rather than here.  Thus, it might be hoped it would not be taken, wrongly, as an attempt to undermine the efforts of the poll team.  Thus it might be hoped it would chafe no skin off the noses of "Have-a-go" Nationalisation modellers.  In the main, however, it was posted there because it was aimed at the genuine issues the poll exercise raises for those of the pre-Group persuasion. 

But, if anyone wants to read the story behind the misrepresentation, it's here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115710-minority-report-the-wish-list-poll-the-pre-grouper/

Archived