Hi All

The drawings in the Russell book seem to show weight drawings of the 54xx and 64xx with tripcocks fitted.

All the photos of 54xx I have seen do not show tripcocks.

While it may have been intended that the 54xx would operate over electrified lines, this seems less likely for the 64xx.

Has anybody any evidence that 54xx were or were to be fitted with

Thanks

Oakhill.

I've had a hunt through my pics of 54xx - none have tripcocks fitted. The RCTS GWR part 5 doesn't mention tripcocks though it does say that 2/3rds of the class were based at Southall from 1932 to 1952 so may well have required to run over ex-MET lines. Part 9 which covers 61xx states that att 61xx had tripcocks originally so the RCTS authors were certainly aware of such equipment. Having said that, the RCTS books don't mention tripcocks on the 97xx condensing panniers either.

So perhaps not terribly helpful.

• 1 month later...

For the 64xx, no.

I have seen a pic of a 54xx working a Paddington to Greenford auto, but I don't think it encroached onto LT tracks.

edit: Found this from some 1939 GWR regulations:

"All trains working into Paddington Suburban Station must be fitted with a trip-cock. When it is necessary to run an engine to Paddington Suburban Station without a trip-cock, Paddington Suburban Signalman must be advised."

(Paddington Suburban was defined as Platforms 13, 14, 15 and 16.)

Archived