Shepcote Lane tippler sidings

Right , where do I start ! Hope you can follow this. Each wagon is fitted with a three link coupling on the right hand side only , the link at the end is steel not brass, the left hand side is fitted with a small magnet , so each wagon will couple up ,there is a slope either side of the tippler, and a magnet on the tippler between the rails , when wagons are pushed on the tippler magnet uncouples them allowing the unloaded wagon to roll onto the traverser, this process is the same for coupling the wagons coming of the traverser!I'll post some pics soon, to make things clearer

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

My Shepcote lane  tippler layout will be making a very rare appearance at the pontypridd model show on Saturday  27th  April  2019 , last time it was exhibited was in 2016 ! Its had bit more painting and detailing  but still not fully finished , also due to appear in  Hornby  magazine  later this year

IMG_20180506_192748.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

Just found your great little layout, well done for getting it in Hornby magazine. I like the plan and that's a great theme. I was wondering about the left hand end. Is there something over the track in one of the pics? I wondered if you had a run round at that end and if you did how did that all work, was there a sector plate or traverser in the fiddle yard?

Hoe that makes sense and well done on a fine layout.

Steve.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 03/01/2020 at 01:25, DanielB said:

What a fantastic layout! Nice work. :)

Watching the video from Hornby mag, how does the automatic coupling work shown toward the end of the video?

Hello , hope you can follow this , as i have no pics to show yet , each wagon has one 3 link coupling with the end loop being the steel type on the right hand side of the wagon  , all the left hand sides have a small neodymium under the buffer beam , so when you need to couple up the magnet attracts the steel link and hey presto ... coupled , the magnets used are a bit strong so i am in the process of redoing them with small ( approx 2mm round magnets ) , coupling up is then done non automatic , this now being done by picking the steel ended loop up  with a plastic  / or wooden  rod just enough for the magnet to pull the coupling up  , hope this explains it , any questions just ask

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I have now slightly redone the magnetic coupling system for the wagons used on the tippler  , all wagons are now shunted onto the tippler uncoupled as trying to uncouple them full of coal would end in disaster ! , the full wagon is tipped then the empty wagon pushed off the tippler by the next full wagon and onto the traverser , a magnet on the traverser now couples the wagons together making the operation hands free , hopefully at the small Cardiff show on sat 18th January 2020 i can get some video footage to explain how it all works ,  refer to the Hornby video in the above post to show the operation of the layout .

• Like 5