Andrew Young

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, hartleymartin said:

The important question now is how do I buy one?

Suggest you sign up for the EDM Models newsletter - when they are officially released Paul will explain all in there. At the moment I believe he’s sorting out the necessary castings etc. 

• Thanks 2

Apologies for not replying earlier, been introducing my daughter to the Talyllyn yesterday... then the RMWeb server went down just as I was sending my reply.

Once Dapol announced the B4, a quick google confirmed the measurements suited, plus it has the single slide bar that is right for the law locos. I bought one when they came out and they are spot on for the Loco. The chassis is a smidgen over long to fit the body. But one of the changes being made is to put rebates into the rear of the buffer beam so the Dapol chassis slides straight in.

As Neil has said, my initial plans to get the bodies printed fell through. Paul Martin, EDM Models now has a 3D printer and will be producing them to sell shortly. The body is getting some improvements and Paul is sourcing castings so it’s not just a basic 3D print  you buy and will be making announcements in due course. I suggest joining his newsletter for the up to date situation, though I hope to update this thread in due course.

There should hopefully be some photos attached to this post, showing my original body on the Dapol chassis.  This has now returned to running on its Branchlines chassis as I have one of Paul’s test prints to evaluate and work on. Having introduced my eleven week old daughter to ‘William Finlay’ in the museum yesterday, I shall hopefully tidy the other distractions off my workbench and crack on with the FJ this week when we’re home. One thing I will say though, the print resolution gets better and better with each generation of 3D printing machines.

Hope that helps,

Andrew

E840F2C3-5E9D-4323-9C83-32B8B91EC205.jpeg

A10941E2-88DB-4248-B675-04980ECC5712.jpeg

CA8018D6-A361-447A-8DC3-14F36D741F89.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

3 hours ago, hartleymartin said:

That 3D-printed body moulding is pretty darn good! Certainly better than the ones I've had previously from shapeways.

Yes, haven’t been overly impressed with some of Shapeways output, hence why it never went on Shapeways.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Agree 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 20/01/2017 at 13:39, Andrew Young said:

Thank you. What you see is my Hunslet Mallet which was described over on NGRM-online and also written up in Narrow Lines the 7mmNG Association's Journal.

Inspired by Hunslet's solitary Single Fairlie 'Gowrie', I decided that in 1912, Hunslet also built a one off Mallet as I rather like mallet locos having ridden behind a couple in France.

It's a Bemo HO Mallet chassis with the main components for the body coming from the Chivers WD Hunslet 4-6-0 kit along with a few other bits and pieces I had to hand.

post-11098-0-79433300-1484919508_thumb.jpg

Not the best photo as taken on my phone, but should give uou a good enough idea.

Cheers,

Andrew

Just spotted this looking for gen on Townsend Hook. So just for completeness, my version. The Dioscuri were the Greek equivalent of Gemini, the heavenly twins. The pink book mentioned by Andrew I've just ordered for a fiver, there is another at £87!  For TH I'm thinking Alan Gibson frames and coupling rods, High Level gear box, Mashima and a flywheel. THis is my first go at posting anything, so anything might happen.

Frank

Frank.

Display_2.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Frank Sharp said:

This is my first go at posting anything, so anything might happen.

Congratulations Frank - that seemed to work OK.

Latest news from Paul at EDM Models is that the delayed castings have finally arrived and it looks like pre-orders for the loco kit will be sent out next week. 

https://www.ngtrains.com/blog/townsend-hook-late-final/

Mike

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to Mike for posting an update extracted from my Newsletter.

As he alludes, the castings for the kit turned into a bit of a saga. Thankfully this is now resolved. Until it was there was little point making a great push on sales as the delay from the original planned release in June was a bit embarrassing.   The castings saga was fully documented on my blog [ http://www.ngtrains.com/blog/    if anyone is interested]

With brass castings delivered I had expected to have a few kits “on the shelf” for immediate sale but that hasn’t happened. Here’s the latest: -

·         The first 30 kits, which is the number of sets of brass castings I have, are all sold and will ship starting Monday 16th September.

·         The next batch of castings has been ordered for another 30 kits. ETA about two weeks.

·         Four of this second batch are already spoken for.

On the one hand I’d like to think that in a couple of weeks I’ll have the kits “on the shelf” whilst on the other kits on the shelf is basically money on the shelf and presales help pay for the parts.

Actually, it may shift the onus/bottle neck onto the 3D printer. Can I print 30 more bodies before the castings arrive as its, basically two per day. OK, it takes 14 hours each but I am not staying up to or getting up at stupid o’clock to reset the printer to run it more continuously.

Edited by ngtrains.com
  • Like 3