If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Hello from Blidworth, Notts

Faraday

Hello all,

Just wanted to introduce myself, (Gary) having joined today.

I spent a great 2 hours this morning reading a very good article by a member called Ian on how to start an N gauge layout, only wish I had found that about a year ago as I would not have made as many mistakes in the layout I have just completed lol.

Having taken this up as a hobby since retiring 3 years ago, it has fascinated me in many ways. The range of products available not only for rolling stock and locos, but the scenic materials, the kits to enhance it, electrics such as LED's to illuminate it all, and have found this past 9 months that I have re-learnt a lot of what I was taught in the late 60's at school such as ratios, angles, radius, (should that be radii? lol) wiring in parallel, all sorts of stuff, and what a great feeling when it is all finished and you can sit back and say "I made that".

Will be making my 2nd project very soon, (as soon as the first one sells and I can adapt the spare room to make it in, as my long suffering wife has put up with this one in the lounge!)

Have tried to upload a photo of the finished article but it says file too big, (not too good at computers so a bit beyond me, sorry)

Looking forward to gleaning more useful information from members on here for the next project, and although my knowledge is limited, will try to help anyone in any way I can.

• RMweb Gold

Have tried to upload a photo of the finished article but it says file too big, (not too good at computers so a bit beyond me, sorry)

Hi Gary. If you look in the topline of an RMweb page you will sees several headings, including 'Apps and Content'. Click on that and you will find Image Editor. This allows you to access an image on your PC and resize it to something smaller - less than 1MB is what is needed. Quite easy - and I'm no computer whizz, either!

Hi Gary. If you look in the topline of an RMweb page you will sees several headings, including 'Apps and Content'. Click on that and you will find Image Editor. This allows you to access an image on your PC and resize it to something smaller - less than 1MB is what is needed. Quite easy - and I'm no computer whizz, either!

Hi Ian, many thanks to you and others for the warm welcome and advice re photos.

Have followed the step by step guide that Grandad Bob posted, (4 times now lol) but each time, even though the drop box shows jpeg it saves as a blank looking file, then says I don't have permission to upload that type of file.

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?

Gary

Hello Gary welcome to the forum.

Blidworth now that's a name out of my distant past, you didn't work at the pit did you? I didn't myself I went into the motor trade and worked at Mansfield and Kirkby in Ashfield but If you did do you remember the underground loco foreman at Blidworth colliery called Ray Taylor who lived at Rainworth? He's long gone now but he converted his whole loft into a lovely 00 layout which I spent many happy hours working on. Also the times on a Sunday which was maintenance day with sometimes only a few people underground as foreman he could take a "guest" down with him and I recall having a go on the little underground Hunslet locos when it was quiet and no one was around

I went out with his daughter Rosalind for many years and almost married her but that's another story and I shouldn't digress. Still good memories.

I moved away about 30 years ago so I bet its changed a bit since.

You'll enjoy the forum there a good bunch and are ever helpful with advice and information, look forward to seeing your photos when you master the down loading and don't worry you will.

Steve

Hello Gary welcome to the forum.

Blidworth now that's a name out of my distant past, you didn't work at the pit did you? I didn't myself I went into the motor trade and worked at Mansfield and Kirkby in Ashfield but If you did do you remember the underground loco foreman at Blidworth colliery called Ray Taylor who lived at Rainworth? He's long gone now but he converted his whole loft into a lovely 00 layout which I spent many happy hours working on. Also the times on a Sunday which was maintenance day with sometimes only a few people under gound as foreman he could take a guest down with him and I recall having a go on the little underground Hunslet locos when it was quiet and now one was around

I went out with his daughter Rosalind for many years and almost married her but that's another story and I shouldn't digress. Still good memories.

I moved away about 30 years ago so I bet its changed a bit since.

You'll enjoy the forum there a good bunch and are ever helpful with advice and information, look forward to seeing your photos when you master the down loading and don't worry you will.

Steve

Hi Steve,

No, not from the pit, born in London, moved to Notts when I was an infant then moved here 16 years ago, pit was long gone as have all of the pubs except the Bird in Hand, still a cracking village atmosphere though.

Thought I had cracked the photo thing, doesn't my last post show one then?

Gary

Yes there coming through fine now, sorry I didn't spot the other one before posting that will teach me to look next time. Nice bit of detail work there looks like you've got a nice bit of village atmosphere going on there too well done. Look forward to talking in the future. Steve

Edit add The Bird in Hand - Oh yes I remember it well I brought my first ever pint in there when I was only fifteen years old lucky I looked old enough, mind you it was probably the first step on the rocky road to ruin!

Hi Gary - welcome to the Club. In a past life I used to meet up with colleagues at the Little John.

Thanks for the welcome, The Little John, well, I can tell you a few things about that pub, but it is closed for a refurb until end of this month, as last managers went bankrupt, (had to pay for the dray cash on delivery!) it's not like it used to be. Personally I liked the fish tank, but that went years ago! (Being a newbie here, hope it's ok to chat about other topics than trains, or am I in the wrong forum?)

At one time the Little John was so busy that people had to stand outside in the car park some nights, I remember they did a good firework display there with a huge bonfire. My mates dad was the manager of the other Ravenshead pub the Sherwood Ranger so I'd prop the bar up there as well. Happy days

At the time the lines round Blidworth and Rainworth collieries were still open (just) and I recall shed bashes to Westhouses shed and trips to Newark to watch the Deltics or to Alfreton to see what we could see mostly twin 20s class 47 class 56 and the odd peak. Also midnight trips to Ollerton colliery to nick the builders plates off the condemned wagon line and selling them for a fiver a time which in the late 1970s to a young lad was good money, those were the days when a can of coke was 8p walkers crisps 3p and a pint of Mansfields less than 50p

The busy times at the Little John must have been when the landlord was David Johns,, they haven't had a firework show for many years. As for the Sherwood Ranger, that's now half a pub and half an Indian restaurant, how times change! As for the lines around here, unless you knew where they were, you wouldn't be able to find the routes now except for the odd road bridge, would be good to see an old map of the areas lines.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello again, (Not sure where to post this as a question so if it needs moving elsewhere please feel free to do so)

Having sold my first model I am about to embark on the next, (slightly less detailed to keep costs down and my long suffering wife happy :scared: ).

It will be loosely based on the Peco starter pack with an added loop, with an industrial area in the middle, however, my question is; as it is in effect 2 ovals of track, joined by 2 sets of lh turnouts and 2 of rh, the inner one having a siding and a siding off of that as well, (imagine a rh turnout off of the inner main track, then another rh turnout which splits into 2 sidings) When it comes to fitting the drop wires, if I wanted to isolate the sidings, am I correct in saying that I need to put an on/off switch in the rails of the sidings that do not get power all of the time, on both of the final sidings? Hope that makes sense, but my thought is that if the power to one rail is cut, then a train can sit there (once the switch is turned off) and another can be used around the rest, all just with one Gaugemaster analogue controller. Or does this cause electrical problems around the rest of the track? 

Have read some parts on here about isolating plastic joiners but do not really understand all of that, so was thinking my way might be simpler.

All replies welcome, and apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

Gary :)

Archived