A Cartoon of Helston(ish)

Mulgabill

OK so here goes.

There are 2 things that have led to me being here now.

One was being asked to produce a model of our original sailing club building, effectively a barn, to help visualise some proposed developments. The other at much the same time was stumbling across RM Web, and getting hooked.

Inspite of most of my long owned "trains" being packed and stored at my daughters house, a start was made on a "new" layout in October 2015. My wife could be regretting making the suggestion that I could perhaps have a small layout in the 2nd bedroom.

This is an overall view of the early stages

post-25234-0-29661200-1476098741.jpg

Since a start was made I had decided I should start a layout topic as I could see how much help and support thhere is out there in RMW world. But that reawakened enthusiasm has meant I've been much more likely to go modelling, rather than battle with technology. And now this topic celebrates the 1st year milestone.

I'll be back soon with more details, and photos, once I'm convinced this 1st step has worked ok.

TONY

• Like 17

Thanks for the prompt responses, and I'll try to fill in a few more basics.

The room is approx 12ft x 8ft BUT has an angled fireplace across one corner. Therefore the

station boards are 3 x1mtrs x 500mm making up those shown in the photo.

However that then has the track exiting at about 45 degrees.... after passing under the first bit of modelling.The characteristic bridge at the North end of Helston station.

post-25234-0-41451000-1476109074.jpg

It is beyond me drawing the layout plan, but it is as per the prototype except shortened ) mostly beyond the platform, and the goods siding is kinked not straight. (It will become obvious from photos when I get that far). It comprises platform line, run round loop, goods loop through goods shed, and mileage siding with

loading/cattle dock.

The 2nd piece of modelling was of the goods shed (which is now the basis of a sheltered housing development).

post-25234-0-48757800-1476108751_thumb.jpg

I can see that I'll have to have a major photo resizing session to get this more up to date, because quite a lot has changed in a year.

Please jump in with questions, its easier to answer, we can't all tell stories like Andy P

TONY

• Like 13

Immediately prior to starting this I dragged my wife to visit Helston Museum and view the 3mm and 2mm models they have.

The 3mm one was particularly good, but looking a little tired now.

I hope mine will capture the flavour, but it won't be a strict copy. Hence the ish in the title.

I have realised that on here there are some masterpieces such as ANTB,  DITD, Dent and KL2.

Others capture an essence e.g. Pencarne.

I hope mine could approach the latter after all we all recognise (and enjoy) a cartoon.

TONY

• Like 3

Tony, don't worry what others might think.  If I thought that, I would never be playing with trains nor would most of the rest.  I thought my OO layout was the cats whisker until I compared with the average type of layout seen here.  I changed scale and gauge on the spot but still enjoy the hobby.

Brian.

I have found some photos which will help with the trackplan -

1st the window end

post-25234-0-86043100-1476176209.jpg

This shows from the right platform line, loop, goods shed loop.

This connects (through the station) to the chimney breast end.

post-25234-0-06625800-1476176235.jpg

It may not be obvious, but there is a kickback stone loading siding off the mileage siding at the front this end.

And by way of tasters a couple of later photos from similar positions.

post-25234-0-74699900-1476176317.jpg

post-25234-0-40455900-1476176807.jpg

You may be thinking why Helston?

Well my grandparents retired to live in Porthleven, just around the corner, in the mid 60s.

I was there when the Torey Canyon wreaked havok. and in about 1970 I walked the trackbed as far as Nancegollen. Having already got a workable representation of the branch, laid on the floor joists of the loft. But this was done in a mixture of Triang system 6, suer 4 and even some of the older Series3 and Standard (grey) track. Certainly no photos available!

When the green light was cleared to start on a small layout last year, it just seemed the obvious choice, for starters.

Mind you its not as simple as that - more to follow.

TONY

Edited by Mulgabill
  • Like 11

First up I drew the trackplan on wallpaper and established that it would fit on 3m x 500mm.

I then used 9mm ply for the frames, with 12mm for the ends. All was in a stock of offcuts I'd grabbed from a place I worked about 8yrs ago. I have to confess that cutting with a circular saw on the floor of the garage didn't produce the straightest of edges. but I did seem to  achieve a set of 4 boards that were relatively  lightweight and manageable.

What would have been a 1m board for the window end, was actually made as 2 shorter boards, 1 just long enough for the crossovers plus an engine length, the other as plain track to bufferstops.

This would allow maximum flexibility in the future, as I hope/dream that one day I may have more space and this coud become part of a modular layout, similar to Stubby47's ideas. In which case theline beyond the platforms could be extended by adding a simple extension piece.

post-25234-0-35700900-1476256680.jpg

The split in the board can be seen in this photo, where the double thickness crossmember is.

Will be back with more later.

TONY

• Like 3

Whilst the boards were being made, in the garage by daylight, the goods shed was being built indoors after dark.

With my books packed away, but full of enthusiasm, I refered to internet photos for what I could gleen. This included taking proportional measurements off the screen, and deriving a plan. This was therefore where the ish came from, it wouldn't be an accurate model, but would hopefully capture the feel.

It was also only the 3rd building I can recall making from scratch. The 1st was Helston Station about 45 yrs ago, very rudimentary and covered with superquick stone paper. (which reminds me why is brickpaper now textures, when its still flat?). The second was the sailing clubhouse mentioned in post 1. The goods shed was also the first time I'd properly tried using modelling clay.

Some pictures whilst in construction

post-25234-0-01727100-1476294693.jpg

post-25234-0-43068100-1476294698.jpg

post-25234-0-59634400-1476294714.jpg

Internally the decking was scribed onto porridge carton, and the road loading bay surrounded by coffee stirrer bumpers.

The arched windows were from smart models, but had to be mounted so that the lower row of windows was not visible, to maintain the correct proportions. The office used smart windows on 2 faces plus airfix windows/doors from my scrap collection.

Some examples of the finished item

post-25234-0-75628700-1476294745_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-36472300-1476294774_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-13183400-1476294790_thumb.jpg

Although I think the colouring may have been improved since.

I'll be interested to hear any comments, please be kind.

And I'll be back with more on the trackwork side, next time.

• Like 9

Hi,

In MRN  in the 60s I think (yes I'm that old - well I was still at school at the time), there was a series on Helston, plans and photos of all the buildings etc if that helps. The station building was surprisingly big.

Thanks for that Stephen, if only it had been Railway Modeller, I think I have them from 65 to about 1980.

I've had a quick look and not easily found referenc to Helston to pin down editions required, but I did note that 60's copies were listed at £10-15 - thats what i paid for my last pannier tank!

Of course if anybody has a scan available I'd be very interested, but I do now have the Oakwood Press book of The Helston Branch to hand. But perversely it only has drawings of 3 sides of the station building! I will probably have to extrapolate the road side from at least 2 pictures. That will be this Winters major construction project.

Thanks again for your interest, thats exactly the sort of help that I started this topic for.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that Stephen, if only it had been Railway Modeller, I think I have them from 65 to about 1980.

I've had a quick look and not easily found referenc to Helston to pin down editions required, but I did note that 60's copies were listed at £10-15 - thats what i paid for my last pannier tank!

Of course if anybody has a scan available I'd be very interested, but I do now have the Oakwood Press book of The Helston Branch to hand. But perversely it only has drawings of 3 sides of the station building! I will probably have to extrapolate the road side from at least 2 pictures. That will be this Winters major construction project.

Thanks again for your interest, thats exactly the sort of help that I started this topic for.

Tony, according to Leleux there were some drawings in MRN in 1967. If I have a chance I'll have a dig around at the weekend.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I don't think I have them anymore, I just kept selected issues and I don't think I still have it. There is one on Ebay for October 1967 but I'm not sure if that contains the necessary info as the articles were spread out over several issues.

I've got a full set so I just need to find time to browse through (which in theory should only take 10 minutes but one I start I keep finding things worth reading...).

Google search for Magazine back issues threw up this advert for a dealer in old magazines;- a Railway World Nov. '64 "the Helston Railway" as listed in the references at the back of the Oakwood Press Book 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Railway-World-November-1964-From-Stirling-to-the-Schools-/390787045691?hash=item5afcb9193b:g:25cAAOxy4fVTElGM  @ £4.40  (I think Post free )

The baseboards for the station were completed, with a set of lightweight H legs. 2 pairs on the centre board, then one per board for the others.

I should say that I had deliberately decided at the outset that the layout should in essence be portable. Not that as was presuming it would be good enough to exhibit, but I could envisage that it might at some time be displayed in some context.

Also with a view to the longer term it is quite possible that it may need to be relocated, if only to make way for another module. To this end I had decided that it should be operable from either side.

To enable this I devised a method of wire in tube control, which had operating knobs on both sides of the boards. This doesn't actually have a tube, but relies on friction where the wire passes through the baseboards, and the mounting block for micro switches which change frog polarity.

post-25234-0-55029900-1476386607_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-14949800-1476386609.jpg

Above the boards tracklaying commenced. I stuck to Peco code 100 as I had built up a fair supply over the years of waiting to get back to a proper layout. Although had I been able to get my head around Templot at the planning stage I may well have gone for code 75 handbuilt. (Indeed in the early 80s I did build all the track for the layout of Avonmouth Dock Station, which I still have. I  had never really got it running, but I've picked up a lot more info from RM Web - so maybe one day)

post-25234-0-90773200-1476386610.jpg

post-25234-0-76057700-1476386612.jpg

I also devised a link board from 20mm ply to bridge between the layout, which completes the 90 degree turn, or can be reversed to make a straight layout.

post-25234-0-23315300-1476386614.jpg

Onto this was fitted a 4ftfiddle yard, knocked up with a 3way point on a board which was made at school for a joint layout project, which was shown at a school fair, alongside the club layout.

post-25234-0-80152300-1476386615.jpg

Much to my surprise, at this point the layout worked surprisingly well, so some scenery could be started.

• Like 8

Firsty welcome aboard Robin (GWRob) its good to know you are watching.

Yesterday I promised to get onto scenery, and I think I may have a couple of inovations to share. So this will probably come in two sections.

In all my past scenic work, I was well up to date using chicken wire, newspaper and wallpaper paste, covered with dyed sawdust. Those were the days,probably even had Blue Peter for inspiration. Mind you I do recall that change was in the air when papers went to colour printing. The new newsprint didn't work anywhere near as well as the old black and white.

As previously stated my boards were made at 1m x 500mm in part as I was uncertain just how this was all going to fit in the spare room.

Having got it up and sort of running, I felt the width was going to be rather restrictive, so I put on my thinking cap. Anything I did would have to cope with the point controls coming through the sides of the boards.

post-25234-0-05541700-1476466525.jpg

This shows the window end of the line, and the start of setting formers for scenic work. This is manely to give a base, before I show the "solution"

I decided to create a set of 6" ply shelves. These have pairs of 2" angle brackets underneath. Which slot into "mending plates" fixed to the fronts of the baseboards. This then gives

post-25234-0-92438000-1476466526.jpg

On this side of the layout there are 2 , on the end boards, with the centre remaining at 500mm wide.

I have then used polystyrene to build the scenic profiles, which are then placed on said shelves, giving an effective width of about 700mm.

Like so -

post-25234-0-85067600-1476466528.jpg

post-25234-0-67826500-1476466530.jpg

The point controls are therefore below the shelves, but accessible to operate. The actual scenics are still ongoing, but I hope the effect is clear.

I intend doing something similar on the other side of the layout, for the full lenght, as I will need the extra space to accomodate the station building, which is scheduled for building over the winter.

You may notice there is some static grass in these views. I am new to this, and using a home made applicator (cost about £1.50), which has worked ok here, but even better elsewhere on the layout.

More in part 2 or even 3 perhaps.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Firsty welcome aboard Robin (GWRob) its good to know you are watching.

Yesterday I promised to get onto scenery, and I think I may have a couple of inovations to share. So this will probably come in two sections.

In all my past scenic work, I was well up to date using chicken wire, newspaper and wallpaper paste, covered with dyed sawdust. Those were the days,probably even had Blue Peter for inspiration. Mind you I do recall that change was in the air when papers went to colour printing. The new newsprint didn't work anywhere near as well as the old black and white.

As previously stated my boards were made at 1m x 500mm in part as I was uncertain just how this was all going to fit in the spare room.

Having got it up and sort of running, I felt the width was going to be rather restrictive, so I put on my thinking cap. Anything I did would have to cope with the point controls coming through the sides of the boards.

attachicon.gifDSC_0038MulgaBill.jpg

This shows the window end of the line, and the start of setting formers for scenic work. This is manely to give a base, before I show the "solution"

I decided to create a set of 6" ply shelves. These have pairs of 2" angle brackets underneath. Which slot into "mending plates" fixed to the fronts of the baseboards. This then gives

attachicon.gifDSC_0050MulgaBill.jpg

On this side of the layout there are 2 , on the end boards, with the centre remaining at 500mm wide.

I have then used polystyrene to build the scenic profiles, which are then placed on said shelves, giving an effective width of about 700mm.

Like so -

attachicon.gifDSC_0051MulgaBill.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_0052MulgaBill.jpg

The point controls are therefore below the shelves, but accessible to operate. The actual scenics are still ongoing, but I hope the effect is clear.

I intend doing something similar on the other side of the layout, for the full lenght, as I will need the extra space to accomodate the station building, which is scheduled for building over the winter.

You may notice there is some static grass in these views. I am new to this, and using a home made applicator (cost about £1.50), which has worked ok here, but even better elsewhere on the layout.

More in part 2 or even 3 perhaps.

Looks good Tony, but you might need to think about what happens if someone leans on the shelves...