A Cartoon of Helston(ish)

Mulgabill

Thanks to Andy and Duncan for the kind thoughts re our journey home. You will find the full story follows.

On Saturday Mrs MB and I set out to visit the Gresley & Wychnor Mince pie event, and arrived in exactly 2 hrs

just as Mr Gogglemap predicted.

Walked in the door and immediately found a trade stand with a Bullied Brake, which makes up the 3 car set

I've been trying to put together for a while. They very kindly knocked the odd 75p, off the price, and I got it

for £1 less than the one that went on E Buy later on Sat evening. So that was a result even before we'd met up

with anybody else.

Here's proof - my Std 3mt plus a typical Bath -Bristol train in the 64-66 period, like wot I used to catch.

post-25234-0-22937000-1513010317_thumb.jpg

I was very impressed with the Wychnor on Trent "O" guage layout, and seeing the first operator naturally

give a wagon a "tweek" to uncouple the loco made me feel quite at home. Great to have no pretence,

just people enjoying themselves.

post-25234-0-55679500-1513010697_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-25457400-1513010963_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-34573200-1513011057_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-20187000-1513011184_thumb.jpg

Upstairs we found Andy Peters, Duncan (EMT911), and Peter (Peter BB), later to be joined by Clive Mortimer, and

how good it was to meet and enjoy a little banter. Plus get Educated in the art of weathering from a master.

Andy P even plucked up the courage to dirty his new Jinty

post-25234-0-85949000-1513011821_thumb.jpg

His skills were also demonstrated on Duncan,s Q1 which we were later able to see performing on Coopers Dale and

Marston.

post-25234-0-30152500-1513013071_thumb.jpg

and a few more of the layout

post-25234-0-48985300-1513012347_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-11708800-1513012772_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-73264300-1513012889_thumb.jpg

When we came to leave, we had trouble getting out of the parking on the common. When I called back at

the show, to round up some help with pushing the van, I was told to try upstairs as thats where the younger

members would be found. So its now official "O guage" is for oldies Andy, best stick with KM in OO,

although I can see why you are so Tempted with W-o-T to play with.

Our return journey took 2.5 Hrs to our daughters near Chepstow, where I could be found painting 'til 9:45.

Sunday morning we awoke to about 8" snow, and so I buried my head in the sand decorating hoping it

might go away. But at 4.00 we had to give in and dig the van out, finally leaving at 5:30 we amazingly

got home at 6:30ish.

Back to work today, and the wipers on the works van packed up, oh joy!

Looking forward to the next time, it was really good to meet up with all those "new" friends.

• Like 8

Not too much work done on the layout recently, but have at least rediscovered playing trains!

The card system for goods has really been working well, and maintaining interest, but even after inserting

a handfull of blank cards most trains have been fully loaded. Must add more blanks for no traffic.

It occurred to me yesterday that Christmas was coming. Not being overly gifted in this computer usage,

I will not be producing a christmas card per se. But I did think it would be appropriate to indulge in some

backdating to give a Christmas Gift of Helstonish (GWR).

As a taster here are a couple of the pics taken, which also shows my trial point rodding (all of it so far).

Comments welcomed.

post-25234-0-98879400-1513531564_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-21940600-1513531674_thumb.jpg

Will share some more in the run up to the festivities.

• Like 6

With 5 days to go we'll start with our Christmas offerings, Today 5 views of Helstonish (GWR) goods workings.

Starting with a view for Keith HC - showing an off-track Listers of Dursley wagon, must be delivering something technical

for the new airfield. And for Fat Controller a Wm Butler tar tank, we both worked for Butler Chemicals in the 70's.

Of interest is that William Butler & Co Ltd owes its existence to the GWR, as they were set up in Bristol to distil coal tar, and

therefore produce Creosote - for the growing GWR.

post-25234-0-51096100-1513769156_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-41431800-1513769312_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-72715100-1513769425_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-36465000-1513769624_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-16794400-1513769878_thumb.jpg

This comes with the thanks for all the encouragement we (myself & Mrs MulgaBill) have got from those who read this topic

over the last year. Seasons greetings to all.

• Like 6

Sorry about the picture quality (perhaps I'll learn to use the camera next year). So we'll continue our 5 days of christmas -

with 4 passenger workings (GW).

post-25234-0-85820900-1513869208_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-76841100-1513869305_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-97453800-1513869513_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-42540900-1513869688_thumb.jpg

Just beginning to worry about finding pics for 3 & 2 days - at least I know what I'll finish with.

As an aside having got some of my GW livery stock out, it makes me realise how little I can

actually run on Helstonish, but I must stay focussed on getting this better,rather than starting

on something bigger!

Hopefully back tomorrow

• Like 4

With 5 days to go we'll start with our Christmas offerings, Today 5 views of Helstonish (GWR) goods workings.

Starting with a view for Keith HC - showing an off-track Listers of Dursley wagon, must be delivering something technical

for the new airfield. And for Fat Controller a Wm Butler tar tank, we both worked for Butler Chemicals in the 70's.

Of interest is that William Butler & Co Ltd owes its existence to the GWR, as they were set up in Bristol to distil coal tar, and

therefore produce Creosote - for the growing GWR.

attachicon.gifDSC_0486.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0483.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0485.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0491.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0480.JPG

This comes with the thanks for all the encouragement we (myself & Mrs MulgaBill) have got from those who read this topic

over the last year. Seasons greetings to all.

Thanks Tony just caught up with Rmweb as just back from a short cruise. Wishing you and your family and everyone on Rmweb a very happy Yule tide.

Keith

Ps there may be a slow start on my layout in the new year as Santa has a Pull push if I am a good boy....

• Like 1

I like the pannier Tony!

Thanks John

I replied once then realised I could have been talking rubbish, so I'll start again.

The 57xx is one of the 1st from mainline, used a little then boxed for probably 25yrs at least.

The 94xx is an old Graham Farish I,ve had from when I were a lad. I have a soft spot for the class

since I first saw 9400 in Swindon (old) museum in the late 60s. I also like the "heft" of this model

soI got another off EB plus a body at a toy fair recently. Said body is in process of an upgrade

but has stalled due to difficulties with drilling holes, for handrails, in the cast body.

Edited by Mulgabill

• RMweb Premium

Thanks John

I replied once then realised I could have been talking rubbish, so I'll start again.

The 57xx is one of the 1st from mainline, used a little then boxed for probably 25yrs at least.

The 94xx is an old Graham Farish I,ve had from when I were a lad. I have a soft spot for the class

since I first saw 9400 in Swindon (old) museum in the late 60s. I also like the "heft" of this model

soI got another off EB plus a body at a toy fair recently. Said body is in process of an upgrade

but has stalled due to difficulties with drilling holes, for handrails, in the cast body.

Yes, I meant the 94xx Tony.

And 2 working panniers (well 1 viewed twice, but that doesn't scan)

post-25234-0-15756500-1514036070_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-96388100-1514036178_thumb.jpg

And not wishing to intrude on the Xmas spirit,some news snippets.

The view around the mill has changed, with 4 new trees having grown overnight. Isn't it funny

how you don't know where trees are going until they are finished. So a couple more are still

needed but the area is getting nearer to what I had in mind. (No pics yet as they are planted,

but not yet bedded in).

Also we have this week been invaded by about 200 Chinese people, all in sitting position, and

seemingly many related to Ronnie Corbett. (Will admit I had to get out a magnifying glass to try

and separate male and femail, not sure how well I did. Perhaps I'll be able to fill a couple of

extra coaches if I leave them over Xmas).

Seasons Greetings

• Like 4

Yesterday saw the new trees bedded in, a bit. Some Chinese were touched up, the interior of the GW Auto=coach was painted, and populated.

Was it worth it?

The trees are definately getting there, as mentioned yesterday.

The Auto definately looked better whilst I was doing it, then I put the roof on, and most of the effort became invisible!

To be fair the people can be seen, but their, so nicely painted, trousers etc cannot be seen. Nor can the seats in red,

and 1st class blue be seen.

Well it was a trial and will inform how much effort I put into other coaches. But it is another 1st, for me at least.

Pics will probably appear after christmas as responsibility calls!

Before signing off I will share the last day of Christmas Countdown -

1 Tired pannier, at rest, on shed.

post-25234-0-49296100-1514111986_thumb.jpg

Please all have a restfull and enjoyable Christmas!

• Like 5

Just found this today. Very impressed and a shame I'd not seen it until now. A nice gwr blt is right up my street!

Did you take a picture of the auto coach before putting the roof on?

Glad you've found us.

Unfortunately no I didn't, I tend to get carried away and forget the pics 'til the moments passed.

If you like I'll pop the roof off again when I've got the camera out, 'cos I couldn't find a "driver"

yesterday. I have cobbled some together today, and in fact put one, along with a few passengers

in my BR autocoach. (Although I've not painted the interior on that one).

Probably the BR B set next, but I'll compare the 2 autocoaches, re the interior paint effect, first.

Have a good christmas

Edited by Mulgabill

We were away for 3 days over christmas, and whilst I did manage to keep up with sruff happening here, The very slow internet

in the Fod/Wye valley area precluded any active involvement.

Since returning I've succombed to a bout of manfllu, so I'll try to catch up in small bits.

SJRixon enquired re views of autocoach, aftyer my last post. I have managed a few of this

and have progressed to a BR(W) B set.

1st the GW Autocoach

post-25234-0-32609800-1514720412_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-08742600-1514720534_thumb.jpg

BR(W) Autocoach

post-25234-0-76513200-1514720731_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-33894600-1514720882_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-23696400-1514721150_thumb.jpg

The B Set

post-25234-0-40739000-1514721480_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-95976400-1514721630_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately whilst the Autocoaches definately benefit from having passengers, in the B Set they are lost, indeed there are

only 2 ways I know they are there. One is the rattle from the one "person" dislodged whilst I was reconnecting the permanent

coupling. The other photographic evidence, when taken side on, with a flash!

post-25234-0-49397500-1514722044_thumb.jpg

Will end there, but hopefully back soon with a few layout phics, and these coaches in action.

• Like 4

Well Christmas brought me this

post-25234-0-20762000-1514739891_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-41034800-1514739968_thumb.jpg

My daughter lifted the pics from RM web - then having selected to put in date order, got a shock

when it came to £113. She then had to spend 2hours editing down to a more reasoable level!

What receiving this did do is remind me of what progress has been made, especially when I look

at similar views taken over time, and how much was achieved immediately prior to the RM Web

day at Taunton.

So one thing I will do on here is put together a few comparative sets of pics of selected "view"

- thats for the new year.

For now a few that shows recent developments (4 more trees), and the loaded coaches in use.

post-25234-0-01663000-1514740869_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-70462200-1514740997_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-27126300-1514741098_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-79040400-1514741217_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-18327500-1514741409_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-54160900-1514741612_thumb.jpg

Hope you all like these.

Best wishes for a productive modelling new year, and I look forward to hopefully having the oportunity to meet more of you as it proceeds.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the inside shots with the people. I've got people inside my B set and agree same issue, one loose person and no idea that the rest are in there now the roof is on!

That photo book is really smart. What a nice way to show the progression of the layout over time, very thoughtful. I like just going back over my thread to see what I have done, so to have it in a book, amazing!

• RMweb Gold

We were away for 3 days over christmas, and whilst I did manage to keep up with sruff happening here, The very slow internet

in the Fod/Wye valley area precluded any active involvement.

Since returning I've succombed to a bout of manfllu, so I'll try to catch up in small bits.

SJRixon enquired re views of autocoach, aftyer my last post. I have managed a few of this

and have progressed to a BR(W) B set.

1st the GW Autocoach

attachicon.gifDSC_0512.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0513.JPG

BR(W) Autocoach

attachicon.gifDSC_0497.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0498.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0499.JPG

The B Set

attachicon.gifDSC_0500.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0501.JPG

Unfortunately whilst the Autocoaches definately benefit from having passengers, in the B Set they are lost, indeed there are

only 2 ways I know they are there. One is the rattle from the one "person" dislodged whilst I was reconnecting the permanent

coupling. The other photographic evidence, when taken side on, with a flash!

attachicon.gifDSC_0504.JPG

Will end there, but hopefully back soon with a few layout phics, and these coaches in action.

Vehicles with open saloons and lots of closely spaced big windows like auto trailers, and railmotors or dmus for that matter, benefit more from having their interiors painted and detailed, and from being populated as well, than compartment stock.  Passengers can be a bit of an issue; obviously you don't want them aboard when the stock is being stabled in sidings, but that is not a problem on our smallish BLTs, Mulga (photo opportunities involving the Squadron Leader and his Sopwith excepted); more of an issue from my 1950s point of view is suitably dressed (hatted and coated) characters for a very working class area where even Sunday Best outfits were liable to be a bit out of fashion and shabby.  Demob suits were still being worn!

I have recently refurbished my old Airfix B set, the same model as yours, built in the Silurian era by Trilobites.  They were pretty good when they were first introduced but RTR standards have overtaken them a bit now.  New buffers for the outer ends, internal painting, a few passengers, a repaint into Carmine livery from Airfix's odd purple interpretation of BR 1956 plain maroon, new wheelsets, and new glazing have been provided with first class and no smoking stickers, as well as the surplus and incorrect brake compartment window (left hand end looking at the set side on, the one between the end compartment and the guard's door) filled in with Milliput.

Of these alterations, the ones that have made the biggest difference to the inside have been the seat painting and, especially, the new glazing.  The original Airfix glazing has, AFAIK, been reproduced on every subsequent issue of the model, and attempts to disguise the overscale thickness of the body sides by being moulded to fit into the window reveals instead of just sitting at the back of them.  A look at contemporary offerings from Hornby and especially Lima will show you what Airfix were trying to achieve, with some success; their Stanier coaches were similarly built.  

But the downside of this is a sort of jam jar prismatic effect at the edges of the windows, which made it even more difficult to see into the interior; perhaps 10% of the window area is lost, more on the door droplights!  My new glazing sits behind the body sides, revealing the thickness of them in all it's horrible glory, but still, to my view, looks the better option of the two, and, while I realise this solution will not suit everyone, I recommend it!  The coaches look better, much better at normal viewing distance, and the interiors are less hidden in the gloom.  Less hidden, mind; I am not trying to claim that my approach results in a full revelation of whatever is going on in there; my courting couples are safe enough for now!

I have to say that the B set refurbishment was a very satisfying and rewarding thing to do; just delicate enough to be a small challenge but easy enough to not be taxing!  Incidentally, painting the inside of coach roofs white will assist with distributing reflected light about in there!

• RMweb Premium

Well Christmas brought me this

attachicon.gifDSC_0502.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0503.JPG

My daughter lifted the pics from RM web - then having selected to put in date order, got a shock

when it came to £113. She then had to spend 2hours editing down to a more reasoable level!

What receiving this did do is remind me of what progress has been made, especially when I look

at similar views taken over time, and how much was achieved immediately prior to the RM Web

day at Taunton.

So one thing I will do on here is put together a few comparative sets of pics of selected "view"

- thats for the new year.

For now a few that shows recent developments (4 more trees), and the loaded coaches in use.

attachicon.gifDSC_0515.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0511.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0509.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0508.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0505.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0517.JPG

Hope you all like these.

Best wishes for a productive modelling new year, and I look forward to hopefully having the oportunity to meet more of you as it proceeds.

What a wonderful gift Tony.