A Cartoon of Helston(ish)

Mulgabill

Andy Ps returned so I was inspired today to do some proper bodging!

Mostly for Huckford Road with the latest position

post-25234-0-86897100-1542214746_thumb.jpg

Actually a scenic tray, with basic roadways in place. Now painted with PVA and weighted

down. The aim - to straighten and stiffen it up a bit.

Also there has been actual modelling going on, most of which reached a stage for a coat

of matt varnish. Some of these are for Helstonish developments, and others for

Huckford Road.

post-25234-0-38705200-1542215279_thumb.jpg

Included is a "detailed" version of the BRM cottage from last month, which Mrs MB has

built. Really done a good job, THEN IT SNOWED!

post-25234-0-91781300-1542215396_thumb.jpg

My cottage also suffered a bit, but hers is a bit of a wreck. Unless anybody has any suggestions

my only thoughts are that we will have to try painting it......

Fingers crossed - over to you guys.

post-25234-0-82576200-1542215017_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-86897100-1542214746_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-82576200-1542215017_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-38705200-1542215279_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-91781300-1542215396_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

A few scraps by way of an update.

Theres been nothing really happening on Helstonish, apart from one or two acquisitions.

There are now 3 Royal Daylight tankers, which are shown here. Redolent of the Forest

of Dean trains (vice Berry Wiggins - same livery, much cheaper).

post-25234-0-57288800-1545491240_thumb.jpg

Also gained a Hornby Black Dean Goods. but no pics available yet. The idea being to

bash the tender drive, by fitting tender body from a mainline 43xx, and get the 43 back to running.

Assuming it works I could then run GW or BR Dean goods on one chassis, and GW or BR 43 on

the second tender drive. 4 loco options from 2 power units. (Thats one for 2019) as steps etc are

part of the Dean body, but 43 Chasis, so not as simple as I'd hoped.

Again no pics, but white "blooming" problem sorted with an ink wash (black).

Also went to Andy Ps Gresley & Wychford Mince Pie do a couple of weeks back. If I thought there was

a club like that around here I think I'd move a campbed in. The 7mm layout is great.

post-25234-0-48481800-1545499070_thumb.jpg

It was good to see Andy and Clive again, and to meet Ade and George, just apity we didn't manage a

bit more time together.

Whilst there Clive let me have a Dapol Fruit D, which wouldn't behave, and stay on the rails. When I got a

chance I had a look and found it bobbled along, suggesting a wheelset problem. Now as it happens I have

a Dapol kit which I've messed up by overheating the solebar whilst attempting to straighten it. So ready

made replacements. Ran better but still derailed. So I thought perhaps a little more weight might help. With

a little difficulty I took the offender apart. Then thought " lets try the chasis alone - seemed ok. Finding it

already had a reasonable weight fitted, and with little alternative available, I decided to put it back together

pending further attention.

Now explain this if you can, said Fruit D now runs fine bar 1 joint on Helstonish, which is a known suspect

for other stock as well.

Call me a wagonwhisperer if you like. I jus count myself fortunate.

May I wish all visitors here a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year I am looking forward to a better

2019 than this year.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

New year and there is progress to report (but no pics - yet).

As reported elsewhere Huckford road has moved out.

Also managed to do a bit of playing. (One unexpected Chistmas pressie - a warwell - needed

testing. (Thanks to Derails for giving my daughter / grandson good advice on suitability).

Over Christmas when at home I did a bit on the Forest of Dean cottage, intended for Helstonish,

and Huckford Road. (On an interchangeable base). This has progresssed to the point where it

now required gutters / downpipes. The windows are a bit of a compromise, I made them! The look

ok from a distance, but not so good close up. They may get replaced with laser cut versions, if/when

I follow up an offer to cut them.

However I was also unhappy with the way the roof sat on the building, then I read an entry by Clive

Mortimer. And replied, which in turn committed me to building a new roof. This is nearly done.

i.e. its built, fits and looked better. Then I started colouring it, and haven't been brave enough yet,

today, to check it out!

Also yesterday we were meant to have new smartmeters fittted, but couldn't be done. Therefore

with it being a bit cold for sailing, I grabbed the first chance to actually spen most of the day in the

train room.

Wiring got undone / redone on the fiddle yard - and it works. Now the traverser can be cut down.

Felt really good to get back "home" and actually progress something. So plans are afoot to shift stuff

and get the Fiddle Yard sorted. Although this has the downside that stock needs to be cleared again.

But at least it feels like we're going forward again.

• Like 2

First up, thanks for the comments Bill and Danstercivicman - much appreciated.

Yesterday had an day trip down to Weston super Mud for the exhibition there. Very enjoyable day out.

Some nice layouts, but a bit crowded. Spent rather more than intended, but beneficial to Helstonish.

A few scenic type items plus enough to form an unusual working to Helstonish:

post-25234-0-14088800-1547495246_thumb.jpg

4575 prairie acquired. Apparently 5555 was a regular on the Porthcawl branch at one time, but having looked it up

its last 18 mths or so were based at Exeter. Still doesnt explain how it worked this train to Helstonish.

post-25234-0-84555800-1547495170_thumb.jpg

Itself a little unusual as its formed of a Collet brake plus a MOGO van. Don't know how thats going to get

unloaded! But both were also sourced at the show.

post-25234-0-31867800-1547495544_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-33330200-1547495664_thumb.jpg

Good to bring another positive update, be back soon.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I also have a 5555 on Cwmdimbath, in the earlier unicycling lion plain black livery.  Googling Abergwynfi Station and bringing up 'images' will show a photo of an auto at this station with the loco in this livery.  The loco was allocated to Tondu between 1953 and 1960 apart from a brief period at Neyland in 1955 (this may have been a paper transfer and the loco never went west of Pyle).  It would have worked auto services on all the branches that Tondu provided locos for, including Porthcawl of course, but photos of Porthcawl tend to show 64xx and compartment 'cyclops' trailers, in the 60s.

I also have a 5555 on Cwmdimbath, in the earlier unicycling lion plain black livery.  Googling Abergwynfi Station and bringing up 'images' will show a photo of an auto at this station with the loco in this livery.  The loco was allocated to Tondu between 1953 and 1960 apart from a brief period at Neyland in 1955 (this may have been a paper transfer and the loco never went west of Pyle).  It would have worked auto services on all the branches that Tondu provided locos for, including Porthcawl of course, but photos of Porthcawl tend to show 64xx and compartment 'cyclops' trailers, in the 60s.

post-30666-0-08567900-1548348655_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Can't recall whether I mentioned that Helstonish had a 4' gap in it. Well it did.

This was due to my having set  to and shortened the fiddle yard.

Having got that done, I then started on building some new baseboards. During the

cold snowy spell I managed to negotiate authority to cut and assemble wood in the

kitchen.

Then the work van packed up, giving me another couple of unplanned days off so, more

progress has been made.

A view of the decimation achieved

DSC_2527.JPG.ba6cb07c06e390c47386946ec7e6f5f9.JPG

And the basic frames made.

DSC_2528.JPG.e84a3e9090a637ba05a4b9435360868c.JPG

But thats as much as this new system will let me load now. So hopefully I can follow up on

this teaser soon!

• Like 5

To continue

Problem was that,in spite of careful measurement, the boards overlapped when

offered up to the space. I'm blaming an unsquare cottage bedroom!

DSC_2529.JPG.8f61988f8e17ccd351fd534fe307ff6f.JPG

Therefore plans were ammended,

DSC_2530.JPG.14b3c4a6ad0d9d3f0873ce30e4801f7a.JPG

And at least all is together now. Comprises 2 interlocking boards .

Next post will give a hint of the future.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tony will you be rehanging the door to open outwards?, you might have to move the book case if you do but you could have a more permanent board structure in the room.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 81C said:

Hi Tony will you be rehanging the door to open outwards?, you might have to move the book case if you do but you could have a more permanent board structure in the room.

Thanks 81C for the query.

The short answer is no.

There are a few reasons for this:

1) Part of the rationalle for shortening the Fiddle Yard, was that would regain access to the floorspace neccessary

for the loft ladder above.

2) As it stands the "Best" view of the layout is available every time I pass. As it is the Cartoon is appreciated from

the overall effect, rather than the close up fine detail.

3) The scene to be depicted here is based on the angle in the last pic, which has often been photographed, particularly

by Ben Ashworth.

4) If all goes well, I doo have plans for a facia and arch which will be along the door side and around the door opening.

This, with the addition of suitable legs, could lead to an exibitable, small, L shaped layout.

Not really part of the answer re the door, but I also have ideas for further developing the Fiddle Yard area, which would give

great depth to this view.

But I'm cautious about running before I can walk. So we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

A brief update re Helstonish.

The engineers posession continues. But yet more "non-work" days means progress continues.

I have today managed to lay the missing section of track, but its not wired yet. Care will be taken

as theres not much of that there bullhead rail to solder to. Will take a couple of pics once the

wiring is done.

The redundant "old" corner board has been trimmed down. The lager part currently sits on the

kitchen table, as a fine photo-diorama. It will probably be incorporated as a non-working scenic feature

in future developments. The remainig small piece will be further trimmed and used to bridge onto

the new corner section.

Last week I succomed to Andy Ps influence, and a 25/1 arrived, it was duly photo'd on the new

diorama.

DSC_2533.JPG.0c980907ad168664259aa381c8e2b0ae.JPG

DSC_2536.JPG.b5ce74b9f97ebe48b1077018cfd64983.JPG

Neither of these views were previously possible on the layout.

To compound things, I also "won" a Heljan Hymek at the weekend, which will arrive later this week.

Trouble is I'll have to work out how to remove the extra C chip, before I can use it. Mind you I'd

also have to get some wiring done first as well.

Bought myself a couple of mainline ore hoppers at the Monmouth show on Sunday, then found

some more info re those used at Helston, identifying them as ex MR design - DOH!

• Like 8

OK I'm going to show my ignorance here (and possibly elsewhere).

My Heljan Hymek has arrived from the weeb-auction place. Have unplugged the DCC Chip, and it don't go.

Is this 'cos I need to fit a blanking plate (which I don't have)? or just(!) and errant loco.

Any help most appreciated.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, sjrixon said:

Or, plug the chip back in and assume that someone set it to run on DC..  Most of the time it will be fine.

Thanks John B and Scott

As it happens I had to chaufeur Mrs MB to Gloucester this am.

Took advantage with a visit to Antics and for the princely sum of £1.50 got a blanking

plate.

Loco does now move albeit a lttle reluctantly at first. Will give it a clean and lube

before putting back together.

Having resisted temptaion to buy much else apart from some polyfibre, we then visited  a local

auction preview.

Tomorrow will now see me return, and the flexible friend under some serious threat!

Meanwhile a couple of pics of the Hymek

DSC_2554.JPG

• Like 2