A Cartoon of Helston(ish)

Mulgabill

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

Thanks for taking the effort to learn all about the Forest Lines. A really interesting network that many are totally unaware of.

Thanks too for pushing me in that direction.  I enjoyed it.

Paul.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like I've spent most of the last 2-3 weeks on my hands and knees, chasing bits

of point roddig and stools around the floor. I sometimes wonder why I ever started

on bits which I can barely see to put together. Let alone neatly.

I am just praying it looks ok in the end.

However there was abrief respite with this weekends RMW visits to

Didcot

DSC_2677.JPG.56fe07399d80bb2ed44283cb5e7c99d1.JPG

Fawley Hill

DSC_2714.JPG.e587d8ebee52350eaf1209f8ea01becf.JPG

Well worth the effort of going , and to be recommended if/when its repeated.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

It’s a genuine GWR livery as applied during WW1 and IIRC a few years afterwards to all passenger stock painted during that period.  During the austerity period of WW2, 1942-5, an all over brown livery was applied to passenger stock; things weren’t always chocolate and cream!

The GE section’s ‘Clacton’ emus were originally in BR lined maroon livery, and some of the LMS emus were in crimson lake. 

• Thanks 1

If anyone is interested, Kernow are doing the steam railmotor as one of their commissions. Choice of four liveries to choose from including the crimson and overall chocolate, plus choc and cream and a more complicated choc and cream version. Usual disclaimer applies.

Cheers,

Philip

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

They shouldn't be doing the all over chocolate version, Philou, as this dates from between 1942 and 1945.  All of the steam railmotors had been converted to auto trailers by then; indeed, the preserved steam railmotor is a 'reconversion' or a 'deconversion' of such a trailer.

GW coach liveries, very roughly, during the grouping period are as follows; 1923-27 restoration of fully lined out panelled Edwardian livery, including painted panels on new unpanelled coaches, 1927-34, simpler chocolate and cream livery without lined out panels, 1934-42 similar but with roundel 'shirtbutton' logo instead of 'Great (coat of arms) Western lettering), 1942-5 brown lined with orange ining at waistband, plain brown on some suburban and auto stock, return to 'Great (coat of arms) Western lettering, 1945-7 chocolate and cream with additional lining and G W R initials and grey roofs.  BR liveries especially in the transition period are a whole nother story!

• Informative/Useful 1

@The Johnster

My error - there are FIVE versions on offer. I had assumed (wrongly and without a revisit to the site) that the overall chocolate was one of them. I knew it definitely wasn't blood'n'custard nor blue and grey :).

They are: Crimson, Crimson Lake, Brown (Chocolate to me), Chocolate and Cream and Chocolate/Cream with the beading picked out.

Cheers,

Philip

Edited by Philou
Spillchucker!
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of a quick update, ahead of a day at the WSR tomorrrow (don't get too excited its a diesel gala.

Have at last caught up with my fiddle yard upgrade, thanks to info from Bill (Treggyman).

It now runs on ballbearing drawer runners, was a bit of a faff to retro-fit, given that the board couldnt't be fully removed, or turned around.

Would also be better if I could move one of the end supports. But I cant really, so we'll have to see how it goes.

Also ended up having to raise the rail height by a couple of mil, and am having to make/fit alignment pins, 'cos I've got rid of the friction.

Guess thats progress for you.

In normal operating position -

DSC_2644.JPG.28b66d324e77bcdd647d04a0baab8c3d.JPG

In the fully forward position, for "loading" or other occaisions wher clear access is needed.

This work entailed some very long trains running, I'll try to obtain pics when they return.

All the best to all

TONY

DSC_2643.JPG

• Like 8

Scenics have also been progressing slowly, a couple of progress pics below, but I'll cover this a bit more

once it comes together a bit.

DSC_2638.JPG.dc5505cbd6a6813ca5d977a36ac2b2fa.JPGDSC_2640.JPG.35d6d36f3437c4d7fce1200122a153ad.JPG

May find a couple more, soon.

We did also complete a batch of about 10 trees today - but I think we'll still need more. ( Also some for Huckford Road).

TONY

• Like 8

Hi Tony, I like the Draw runner idea, and as for Trees, I have to say, your's are looking really convincing, and I also keep looking at Little Muddle and all of Kevin's Trees on his masterpiece.

Keep up the good work mate and enjoy the SMELL of pure Diesel.:good:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 20/06/2019 at 21:31, Andrew P said:

Hi Tony, I like the Draw runner idea, and as for Trees, I have to say, your's are looking really convincing, and I also keep looking at Little Muddle and all of Kevin's Trees on his masterpiece.

Keep up the good work mate and enjoy the SMELL of pure Diesel.:good:

Thanks Andy

The trees in the Pic are not the batch I mentioned. In the pic are background woodland, courtesy of Sainsbury's formwork. The latest batch are freestanding, some of which will screen the front edges of the woodland. In the woodland are also some dirt cheap Chinese trees, reflocked and representing firs within the wood. Works pretty well, and breaks up the pattern .

Since I know you are partial to blue rats - a couple of pics from yesterday at the WSR DieselGala.

DSC_2646.JPG.d911cf953fceba281c04c6ed9148687e.JPGDSC_2729.JPG.dfa780af4796d367194c38dd5c7860f4.JPG

Does this help inspire project X?

All the best

TONY

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

Thanks Andy

The trees in the Pic are not the batch I mentioned. In the pic are background woodland, courtesy of Sainsbury's formwork. The latest batch are freestanding, some of which will screen the front edges of the woodland. In the woodland are also some dirt cheap Chinese trees, reflocked and representing firs within the wood. Works pretty well, and breaks up the pattern .

Since I know you are partial to blue rats - a couple of pics from yesterday at the WSR DieselGala.

DSC_2646.JPG.d911cf953fceba281c04c6ed9148687e.JPGDSC_2729.JPG.dfa780af4796d367194c38dd5c7860f4.JPG

Does this help inspire project X?

All the best

TONY

Lubly jubly mate, bit clean, but you can't win em all.

Thanks for that Tone. SHOULD HAVE SPELT = Tony

Edited by Andrew P
add words
  • Thanks 1

Thanks bogie

Thats a classic location on the West Somerset, but it's the first time I've been able to park there. I was 4th to arrive and had to park across the backs of the others who had 1st dibs on the grass verge. (I was mostley on the road, at a junction, leaving just enough room for traffic leaving the lane!

The 25 was preceded (in time, not direction) by a DMU running ecs fro Bishops Lydiard to Williton.

DSC_2750.JPG.06bc89304b5755bd4d4434e6b35c3159.JPG

I grabbed this from the window of my campervan, and was the only one of the four present who managed to do so. Shows

expensive equipment and Lineside Hi Vis jackets dont always get you the best shots!

Also as a bonus another pic

DSC_2668.JPG.cc8cc1d4ef515e43f09026af0bb3bc27.JPG

Hymek arriving at Minehead, with 33 waiting to take-over for return working.

Will perhaps share a few more soon.

TONY

• Like 9

Wen't to Gloucester MRC club night yesterday. Never been to a club before, and I may well return. Fitted in really well, seems like

nothing too strenuous is involved i.e. Chat, drink tea, eat biscuits, chat a bit more, tidy up, go home. I can do that!

Mind you I was a bit floored when 1 guy proudly showed me his Tree, in my 1st 5 minutes there. Now as you know I have mentioned we produced a vaired

batch of 10 trees last week. Indeed I was planting some before I went. I was quite pleased til I saw his! Mind you he had made it on a Pendon course,

perhaps I should send Mrs MB.

To brighten up this wet morning, a couple more pics from the WSR

1) a stretch 37

DSC_2700.JPG.4e92d7defb29b75f44bf3eb2cce9f026.JPG

2) Pair of Hymeks, approaching Blue Anchor

DSC_2711.JPG.bd83fb365767bfccd9782786afce9929.JPGDSC_2711.JPG.bd83fb365767bfccd9782786afce9929.JPG

Back again soon - maybe with a report on the clubs work day on Wednesday, if I get a pass out again!

TONY

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Have been planting the trees, and even added some ground cover. However I've deliberately tried not to show every step

here, rather to try to create the overall picture first. As the aim is to recreat a certain prototype picture, or at least a cartoon of...

A couple here to show progress, but from a different angle, so as not to give the game away.

DSC_2765.JPG.9ad92fe429fbde962bbee11b0fdbc155.JPG

DSC_2769.JPG.7c0cc2c7f45333e41e8f39ee02e9d738.JPG

Will maybe share a couple more in the next few days.

Should also report I have been back to the club a few more time, and they've not got rid of me yet. Mind you

I haven't coughed up any money yet either!

Just wondering if I'll find anything I can do that is up to the standard I see around me.

One thing I think I've learnt - DDC almost invariable starts the loco in the wrong direction, must mention that to

Clive M.

• Like 7

I was wondering if you where doing a major rebuild Tony. Its all the banging going on down your end of Dursley. I can even hear it up here close to Westfield woods.

Keith

Ps I know its pile driving at Littlecombe..............:D

• Like 1

Keith

It's good to see you are still keeping tabs on Helstonish progress.

The noise is I think the preparitary work for The Hollies new dementia wing, Although the changes to Helstonish

could be considered major. Having seen Truthwell Halt become a scenic feature, and a completely new section

inserted.

The offer of a visit sometime is still open, just let me know. (Will just need time for a clear-up first!!!)

All the best

TONY

p.s. Any progress with your layout plans?

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Thought you deserved an update, its been a while!

Well little progress on the layout, and I'm afraid no new pics.

There has been progress, but its not quite there yet, and there have been a few competing events

which have taken away from the progress. But I did have a visit from my brother a few weeks back.

That has 2 benefits

1) The train room had a BIG tidy up

2) He did take some pics, but I can't remember what I did with them, so will have to look.

I've also been pretty regular in my attendance at Gloucester MRC, but that also steals time.

As a direct result, my grandson and I helped with a club members layout, at the Lydney show at the weekend.

There are those that will say I've found my level

DSC_0203.JPG.b933a19fcdc42899754e91067fdd87cf.JPG

DSC_0195.JPG.aa2d3c8c852608088c5a337638a2b6e0.JPG

A very enjoyable event, plenty of kids, and not a few adults seemed to enjoy it.

The other big development is that we have jumped in and bought a staic caravan. We could have had

direct sea views (well the Bristol channel, and Aberthaw cement works!)

Or this .........well it would have been but RMW won't let me add any more pics, so next time!

All the best  TONY

• Like 6