A Cartoon of Helston(ish)

Mulgabill

Must have been enjoying myself, it's so long since I updated this. Time flies.

I will try to make a few posts to catch up, and then hopefully settle into at least a weekly update. With or without pics.

At the end of the year I mentioned that we had completed the point rodding on the club layout (London Gloucester Road). Well some pics are now available.

DSC_0690.JPG.dac3956936253aa53ab4900b6adac80f.JPG

DSC_0694.JPG.5f5e9e140465d251d127f8df1bd518bf.JPG

I'm sorry they are not as sharp as I'd hoped, but you get the gist,I hope.

Following on from that I've been doing the diesel fuelling facilities, which has rather overtaken all else,

including Helstonish. However that progress seemed to be quite slow, inspite of seemingly spending much time on it. I will share a little of that next time as it is now almost complete, just in time for the club to be closed until

at least the end of the month. Guess I'll have to keep it at home without breakings it!!!

Good to be back on here, will return soon.

TONY

• Like 9

Won't be going anywhere soon, so a couple of update pics before an afternoon starting to wire the

2nd Huckford Road board.

A nw arrival courtousy the Yate exhibition sales stand. A bit noisy but otherwise ok, and I'm not anticipating a great deal of use. Hopefully it will become a Bath Road example sometime.

DSC_0714.JPG.06b7c53668ead044cccc45a6eaab41a2.JPG

And the starting point of the diesel fuelling build

DSC_0697.JPG.6e23cec4e16bbbfb4202e75999be0951.JPG

All the best

TONY

• Like 8

Just remembered to post on recent progress.

To bring up to date on the oil tanks, let me first tell you that Ian at the club has a 4mm figure, who appears

regularly, to help guage proportions of buildings etc, under construction. He is universally known as ALBERT.

So let me introduce my "Albert", needed to judge the sizing and positioning of the fuelling canopies.

DSC_0698.JPG.80b9fee54221e2ce6e52488005e1e93f.JPG

DSC_0701.JPG.b1388642c35133f8eb2fee95b433f533.JPG

As I've probably already said, work on this has now ceased, until we are allowed back to the Awdry building, who knows when!

This past week work has progessed slowly on Huckford Road, mainly wiring on my part, and basic work on scenic trays by Mrs MB. This will continue, and when we start on proper scenics I hope to do a bit on the Soudly Cottage

garden, to improve Helstonish.

Will try to keep these updates coming, all the ebst

TONY

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Again - sorry for not posting an update sooner, but I have been modelling.

On the Huckford Road extension we have been working on the landform'

This is the 2nd tray,and the high bridge end of the North side. And now we

start on the 2 trays for the South side.

Nothing that really fits for here, but I will be posting details on the

Huckford Road thread,.

Were 3 weeks into our shut in, and I still haven't run any trains, where

does the time go?

All the best

TONY

• Friendly/supportive 3

Have updated Huckford Road with a post yesterday, as there has been no actual progress on Helstonish.

However I have extracted its predecessor from the garage, for ecovery of materials. Before starting on this

coffee break project, I did take a couple of pics for the record.

The boards are 48-50 years old, I built them at school! The trackwork was done in the 80s, with no real

info to work from. First is an overall shot of what is the layout of Avonmouth Dock station.

DSC_0729.JPG.e57d10af5ebcab68352ae47c6aad61c6.JPG

The full (straight) length was 10'8"

Next gives an idea of the pointwork

DSC_0731.JPG.c398924ec8e95ef353363d136900574b.JPG

Unfortunately this eventually did get to the point of operating, when we decided to move house. So it all went into storage.

And hence came to Helstonish. Oh and we didn't move!

All the best.

TONY

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

At last a snippet of progress for Helstonish!

Whilst most work in lockdown has been on Huckford Road, on the kitchen table, a

and with Mrs MBs help, the (Soudley) cottage has also finally received some attention.

A while back I showed it to Graham, resident gardens expert, at the club. He suggested

that whilst it was supposed to be early Autumn, the garden needed a bit of colour, maybe

some roses?

Well alongside making weeds for Huckford Rd, we also made some "plants" for the cottage.

In line with the cartoon principles, none of the plants are identifiable, but some do

hopefully look a bit like roses.

DSC_0814.JPG.6aca4255806bada8912d59fa447ee7e5.JPG

DSC_0817.JPG.ff3d71491b42bc16baa6465141f0f6fd.JPG

Hopefully I'll soon find time to bed it back in the layout, and tidy up the fencing, which I was

doing an age ago.

All the best

TONY

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

416524037_DSC_1141Xmas2020-1.jpg.851e943fa4cf1ab9c35ef9fd1b436b81.jpg

Well some things don't change I've not summoned the enthusiasm to update here since about June or July. So

once again I am starting with an apology, to my regular readers and friends.

It's not that I've  not been doing any modelling, although I've often thought there has not been much end product. More a case of feeling I must take the chance to get on with some modelling, rather than "waste" time on here. Although that's a bit of a cop out, as I have spent much time on the computer, and RM web, just

not getting my act together.

None of this is down to the virus, in fact my kids have said they don't know anyone better suited to cope with

lockdown, they know I'm quite happy to be shut away, especially in the train room. But I have been getting used to 15 tablets a day, and their side effects, which has rather taken over life, much as I am disinclined to let it rule.

I seem to be getting on top of that one, and as an early Xmas present, am scheduled to actually meet the consultant on Christmas Eve. That's only 13 months after going to the doctor. Not sure that I really want to go to Gloucester Royal, I feel safer shut up at home, but there's still time for them to cancel!

So back to a more positive note, I will find another pic to end, and do have a few more odds and ends to share. (Some re work that has been done, work that is currently under way, and quite a few new additions to the inventory). Oh yes we have done an inventory off all rolling stock. (Doe's Helstonish warrant 100 loco's???). 

DSC_1136.JPG.047be7a25832f95e10966d7b3ba702f3.JPG

One of the new guys, 53808 ( and there's also 53809 and 53810 story will follow in annual report).

I will put up a few more posts over the holiday period, by way of an end of year report, in bite sized chunks, and will try to keep it up into next year.

In the meantime, please have a good ("little") Christmas, and lets all look forward to a better 2021, but above all stay safe.

Merry Christmas

TONY

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Hi Tony seasons greetings. I agree with you about the Gloucester Royal, my wife and I have stopped running for winter not the weather but to reduce the risk of falling and breaking something. Mind you we are ready to go to the Vale for a prick in the arm.

Keith

22 hours ago, KeithHC said:

Hi Tony seasons greetings. I agree with you about the Gloucester Royal, my wife and I have stopped running for winter not the weather but to reduce the risk of falling and breaking something. Mind you we are ready to go to the Vale for a prick in the arm.

Keith

Good to see you back on here, and that you are well, Keith.

I had started back to running early this year, and lockdown certainly helped get me over the

initial hump. Following my Parkinsons diagnosis, I have managed to keep slowly building it up.

Thankfully having a treadmill, means I don't have to run out, so can pick and choose. Just doesn't

feel like it used to. About 30' is my limit at present, the 5 London Marathons are a distant memory

now, unfortunately.

Have a good Christmas.

TONY

• Friendly/supportive 6

Well, I survived my visit to GRH, on Christmas eve. And after a shower and change of clothes, it was off to visit one set of grandchildren, before we were all promoted to tier 3. This was done with great care, by not going into their house, but sitting at a distance, in an open sided cow shed. Just the 2 kids, their parents, us and about 20 calves, and 3 sheep. Quite like our own nativity. Mind you it was Bleep Bleep Bleep cold and draughty.

So on with the first part of the 2020 end of year report.

The early part of the year saw us working on Huckford Road, which got to the stage where the layout board, and 2 "North- side" scenery trays are complete, bar final detailing. The South trays are yet to be started. This work took us towards mid year. Very little was done on Helstonish.

At the beginning of July we were finally allowed to go back to our caravan, next to the West Somerset, at Blue Anchor. We therefore did spend quite a lot of the Summer there, and when home there were quite a number

of  DIY things to get done. So modelling was restricted.

However there was a notable event, in late August, our nearest Auction house, had a large quantity, of mostly OO lots, from and estate. I managed to win 7, although prices were higher than I'd hoped, and I missed out on some of my preferred lots. You have already seen one of the S&D 7Fs and I will show pics of some of the other wins.

This saw the inventory grow with the addition of

3 x S&D &F

72xx

DSC_1131.JPG.3dffaa3b02da8bb920b308bf76be0d19.JPG

52xx

Std 4mt 2-6-4T

BR Warship Type 4 (D800)

DSC_1137.JPG.20afa1d7883cb2143d87ea43fb48ff0e.JPG

A number of Hawkesworth coaches (Blood & custard)

A number of Collett coaches (GW Choc/Cream)  - the maroon set went too high!

3 Birdcage coaches (Maroon)

A small collection of Bristol area PO wagons.

24 Peco Wonderful wagon kits.

In turn these acquisitions gave me some work that could be done whilst away.

As it happens I already had an example of the same Warship, from a previous

auction in 2007. The 2 were stripped, as both were non runners, having thrown their

drive shafts. The original one was suffering from mazak problems with parts of the

internal frame, both had parts of the suspension brackets damaged. The new one

was missing 3 buffers. And I gathered new drive shafts were difficult to source.

How would I get on? What would you do?

We'll address these questions in the next part.

More to follow soon, stay safe

TONY

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 2

2020 in Helstonish pt 2

Whilst hiding away at the caravan I checked over all the recently acquired locos. It was not the

trouble free inspection I had hoped for. I have already started on the saga of Sir Brian Robertson x2.

Of the others 3 needed attention to bent and inoperable pick ups. Whilst the Std 4mt tanks motion was

jamming.

The pickups were straightened and each loco was cleaned and fresh grease and oil applied. The 4mt

motion was poked at with a stick, and miraculously, all seemed to run much better when power was

applied. Indeed at this stage even the 2 warships were running.

Alongside this I built a few of the Wonderful Wagons, which is effectively my reserve, for any spare

time whilst at the caravan. (There's been plenty of that this year with the WSR not running).

DSC_0843.JPG.b1841dbf6b8a2035fd087f2f4048f434.JPG

State on 7th July , with stop blocks in place, and weeds taking over. This the up end of Blue Anchor Station.

On a visit home the locos were tested on the layout, all bar the Warships ran well. Although the 72xx did

point out a few track issues, of which the resident fleet were more tolerant.

The Warships however, after threatening to run ok'ish, both threw their drive shafts away!

They were duly scheduled for a revisit to Blue Anchor Works (aka Doris).

So the saga continues.........

I realise there's not been much re the layout here so include a taster, before part 3.

DSC_1150.JPG.53b1608d7c666431e5ca5c36c36c2508.JPG

So on the promised day, when the jab should become widely available, did anybody else

notice that where they had talked of over 60s before, they now only talk of over 80s?

If you too have been shunted into a refuge siding, take care and be safe. Even the slowest freight gets there

in the end.

TONY

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Longer posting gap than intended, but it seems Boris understands and has given us all

some extra modelling time. Nearer to home, our Doctors, along with 3 others, have completed

the (1st) vaccination of all their over 80's. Mind you I'm still not convinced they'll be given

enough to carry on to Mrs MB and me.

The Warship saga continued, when next at Doris, I addressed the various problems

i.e.     Driveshafts - all refitted and all were original Bachy ones. However it should be said

that the 2 I had made did work, although they were not as well balanced as the originals.

One was made from a piece of sprue, the other a matchstick. I would happily use them

again, in the absence of the originals.

Stance - both were slightly off kilter vertically, probably (? entirely) due to my suspension

bracket repairs ( I strut plasticard filed and superglued to the gear towers). I decided to 

make 1 good one using the best bits from both. (the 2nd is now buried in storage pending

future attention.

DSC_1127.JPG.31d78bf1f4476bec357c3616fe197ee0.JPG

Blue Anchor works, D800 after a Heavy General overhaul, and new and repaired stock, ex Works

The good one has been in regular use, shunting a string of wagons around the layout, to both

clear access for other work, and test certain sections of track. A job it managed very well, until

one day it stalled, and threw a drive shaft again. This was resolved (I hope) by fitting a wire

retaining loop around the shaft socket on the drive tower. The other problem is the wheel retaining

plates work loose, causing the brake hangers to be liable to catch rail joins. This sudden interuption

can also cause the shafts to play up. At the moment superglue is my friend, but it does feel as though

the class 42 is one of the most prototypical models around. I seem to recall the originals were

"resting" quite a lot in 1958-60 also.

I'll stop there, with a promise to talk about the layout in the next edition. There has been stuff done

there, but it has been good to finally get my hands on some loco's and stock. I could mention a

94xxx or some Collett coaches, but they'll have to wait.

DSC_1154.JPG.91591ab0bdbe098c658ef01e9d6605d2.JPG

Another taster, the same train crossing Soudley  Crossing.

Stay safe

TONY

• Like 13

Back to keep my promise, something about the layout.

Mind you I'm not sure how much difference will be noticed.

As I have said before, there has been work being done all through the year,

but it felt like I was mostly fidlling about, not really having much direction.

Until the November lockdown, when I gave myself a good talking to, and

sorted some jobs to get on with.

These included a few bits of trackwork maintenance, which had been kindly

pointed out by the 72xx. The board joints at the Fiddle Yard exit were initially

given a checkrail, across the oblique board joint, which was superglued in

place. Although this did work the glue joint failed, so a new piece of track

has been laid, and rod in tube connectors added for track alignment.

Seems more reliable, but still a bit rougher than I would like.

Much of the station approach throat also had its ballast lifted, and replaced

and retamped. This took away the uneven board joints that had developed

there. The same was done at the other end of the station.

With the trackwork running much better, I have also started on a job which

has been needed ever since the layouts visit to Taunton. That was the station,

particularly the platform, which bowed when the pva dried when the platform

surface was applied to the polystyrene base. This created steps where the main

platform met the short lengths on the adjacent boards. A new main platform has

been made on a stripwood frame, with some long bolts engineered to both hold

the building in place, and act as handles to remove the section from the layout.

As it overhangs one side of the board. This now needs the fencing, lights seats

etc replacing.

The cottage has been replaced on the layout, after the wooded area around the

tunnel mouth had received quite a lot of fiddly filling out. I think it is better, but

we still need to rough up the triangular area which is just grass at present.

And Dan Beechworth's picture is getting better.

DSC_1140.JPG.d3737b28e90daa75c4a8f1fc8048bcad.JPGDSC_1140.JPG.d3737b28e90daa75c4a8f1fc8048bcad.JPG

2 pics of the cottage area, with much more undergrowth added.

DSC_1149.JPG.1d08f83b2db0e2fb4b2f1d82f70f1966.JPG

There is also some actual railway modelling going on, at last.

I got a mainline 57xx,off EBay, and the chassis is being fitted into a Lima 94xx

which I got from Beatties when they first came out. It won't be as good as the

New Baccy one, but I will have done it. And it's at least easier than the Farish

one that I started on when Helstonish was first up and running. (Couldn't get

anywhere drilling for new handrails).

I've also got part way through fitting a Hawkesworth full brake body, to an old

triang=Hornby chassis, and some baccy bogies, but getting the ride height right,

is holding me up. I was actually getting on with this better at Doris, so it may

wait until were allowed back down there.

There are also 2 or 3 building projects waiting for a start. But I had also spent

time away, learning to do the cad drawing, with a view to perhaps getting a cheap

laser cutter. But they're not so cheap now, and the urge has consequently faded

a bit. Soon I'll have to decide which way to go, cos I need to do some more

buildings.

That's pretty much up to date, although there is still plenty to be done.

All the best, and stay safe

TONY

• Like 9

Today I got sidetracked.

I decided to tidy up the front face of the Truthwell Halt section, where it had been trimmed,

when it was retired from the main layout, to make way for Soudley Crossing. As it is now a

sort of portrait setting, it does need to be a bit more presentable. And it will become

connected by a new scenic section, at some point.

So I made a new fascia from foam board, and fitted it. I had already been replacing the old

half crossing, with something more appropriate.

Then at lunchtime I had a ferret around in the shed, and found  some green(ish) paint, which

was applied to the  new fascia. But I didn't stop there, hence the sidetracked.

So a couple of pictures, of paint drying...........Nooooooooooo

OK then, a couple left over from the last batch.

DSC_1144.JPG.1d87f89a9c29162b888dcf8b512d806c.JPG

DSC_1154.JPG.fb6a8fbf3191c7eb3d77d40d14a684ab.JPG

Off to photo the paint drying now.

TONY

• Like 11

I've been off on another side track!

In the job of repairing the static grass machine, I have been attempting some

upgrades. More details and maybe pics when I've evaluated the results.

Alongside this I did run a couple of workings, in front of the camera, so will

share the results over a few posts. I will not go out of my way to enhance

the offerings, you will probably get exactly what was captured, pretty much

in order.

We start with an unusual working, engineers  from St Blazey area(?), 42xx a

rare visitor to the Helstonish branch.

DSC_1178.JPG.fab031fdaeeb0094fe729986545651c7.JPG

And then the arrival of the FSO Cornish Riviera relief behind Warship D800. (It's still running).

DSC_1179.JPG.b9e5150a0ce9b48d77817865cc4703a6.JPG

Will be back for a look at some of the Saturday workings.

Keep safe

TONY

• Like 10

On the Saturday the same working came in behind the branch 45xx assisted by a pannier.

DSC_1183.JPG.365857d634d7a65c1155875ec725a0d7.JPG

I don't know whether I mentioned them before, but in the background is a stand of

"budlia" trees. A marked improvement over the non-descript greenery that was there

before. Other examples have also arrived (grown?) around the layout

DSC_1185.JPG.2d9a56c6ba182a7bd09439966664e098.JPG

I'm wondering what will wok in to take the return working.....

TONY

• Like 8

Same arrival, with first glimpses of the new platform still under construction.

(I did realise that the station roof has not been seated properly in this set of

pics.... sorry).

DSC_1188.JPG.787f01f902914aaa498105b225e88180.JPG

DSC_1189.JPG.72bed5a42ce316919c0e056a654bc10a.JPG

The 42DSC_1189.JPG.72bed5a42ce316919c0e056a654bc10a.JPG

The 42xx has come off shed, and awaits departure with the engineers train.

All the best

TONY

• Like 10

Guess I should point out. the coaching set sees probably the first

appearance of the BR Maroon Colletts (+ Mk1 Restaurant), on here.

Uncoupling

DSC_1190.JPG.ef77ec5b54c096fa022fc8c984df2672.JPG

Meanwhile the loco for the return working has been despatched Light Engine, from Long Rock

shed. A photographer has been following it's progress.

First seen exiting the tunnel

DSC_1192.JPG.bb673dc33511bb23fd184decbdc6dcc0.JPG

......... and we find today it's D800 Sir Brian Robertson...... again.

Much the feeling I recall having re the 12" : 1' version, it seemed to turn up

every time I was near a railway.

Next time we'll follow it's progress down the Branch.

All the best

TONY

• Like 7