A Cartoon of Helston(ish)

Mulgabill

Happy New Year to all, must get some modelling done today, start as we mean to go on.

Andy - I sincerely hope we can get to meet up again soon G & W mince pie day was one of the highlights of 2017, but thats so last year now, we have to start

making new highs for 2018

Modelling wise I must extract the row of cottages and sort the pavement/roadside, and theres one dodgy point that I suspect will need taking out to sort an

intermittent shorting problem. Also hopefully once a few more trees are done, I can clear a space on the workbench to do more work on stock.

Which brings me to The Johnster's reponse to my last posts. Your comments were very interesting, and as I had an old damaged Ch/Cr B Set coach

lying around I did set to & remove the glazing last night. (It exciting at MulgaBill Towers on New Years Eve!) I willhave a play with your ideas, and

have plenty of others to do if I am convinced, as I have accumulated a few over the years, even though I wasn't doing any modelling. Can I ask for

a little more detail - 1) Just to confirm the window that needs filling is only on the left hand coaches, when viewed from the side.

2) What would be the correct style / size of buffer? and you mention on the outer ends, is that for economy, or practical, or was there something different

about the inter-set connection.

3) Is there anything else I should consider? I don't see it likely I'll have the funds to do any more serious upgrades to replace this stock.

I have to say I heartilly agree with the approving comments re the book, I,ve picked it up and had a look every day since christmas, and it always

makes me smile.

• 2 weeks later...

After a week or so of disruptions due to family issues, its good to get back to Helstonish

As there has been no work done I've opted for a dip into the archives. Inspired by flicking

through my Christmas Book, I'll share a few pics of the progress of the shed area.

This covers a time period of about 2 years starting a couple of months into the build.

post-25234-0-03217400-1515519420_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-14983400-1515519792_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-97686100-1515520024_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-80019100-1515522310_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-81636000-1515522439_thumb.jpg

What I find interesting is that inspite of this being one of my favourite areas, there aren't too

many pics to choose from.

The pics are deliberately similar in composition, to show the progression.

Any comments or suggestions as always are welcomed.

If these are liked I will do similar presentations of other areas, hopefully getting one or 2 more

developements done first.

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Just a brief update, but without pics as memory card is full!

Did take some last weekend, to show off the added trees etc, but then realised I'd been overenthusiastic and taken them

before finishing their bedding in. They weren't too sharp either, so will have to do a catch up soon.

It does mean the corner board around the mill has got a better balance, I think. But need to get a few more details in to

bring it a bit more alive.

I also spent about 3 days this week trying to make some brocolli crates. Very fiddly, and I wasn't convinced by the prototype

single crate, however making larger pieces to represent stacks of crates seemed to work better.

Makes a change from driving myself mad trying to produce lengths of point rodding.

Will update again as soon as I've something to share.

p.s. Is anybody going to the Yate show 3rd Feb ?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well sorry about the absence on this thread, due to illness, injury, and (some) actual modelling. None of which was serious

but all have got in the way, since I got a new SD card.

The last batch of photos I took weren't good enough to use, but have managed to insert new card this morning, and prompted

by grand-sons visit, I have grabbed some more to get a bit more up to date.

They insisted that I run the longest train in the fiddle yard, so we have an improbable Liverpool - Helstonish late

summer working, brought in by a Standard class 5.

post-25234-0-66612000-1518356083_thumb.jpg

The train was too long for the loop, but they didn't care about that. Heres a closer view of the loco, includes my

first attempt at point rodding.

post-25234-0-84886000-1518356176_thumb.jpg

And a closer view of the rodding. Certainly not perfect, but I think better than none. It could well be replaced sometime

as I know how to improve on this. These were made for pence, using staples, pins and florists wire. Fine rod would, I'm

sure, stay straighter and give a tidier appearance - we'll see.

post-25234-0-00533900-1518356346_thumb.jpg

Will try to come back with some developments around the mill, later

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Welcome back and sorry about the accidents and illnesses at the same time as being glad they weren't serious.  I like this thread and the way one can 'get into' the working of your railway.  

That point rodding is much better than anything I could have done.  Incidentally, you can 'format' your old SD card, wiping it of all the photos unless you have 'locked' it (slide switch on the side).  There should be a feature in your camera's menus, 'format memory card' or something.  Make sure you have kept all the photos you want on another device first, though!

• Like 1

Thanks Johnster for your kind comments re the point rodding. I just have to summon the will to produce

more for the station throat, which will require more cranks, and crossing of running lines. I have concluded that

I am probably right in thinking that Facing Point Locks would only apply to passenger lines, so 2 on 1st point after

bridge, and loco shed access. Does anybody know the dimensions of their "covers"?

Recent work has been done around the mill, including additional trees, so the ford and farm track are now shaded by trees.

One seemed a little thin in the middle, so a fallen (dead) branch was added. These trees have also cocussed the

photo opportunities. This area is getting much more towards what I had envisaged, although I already have ideas to

replace this board, with one based on a Forest of Dean location. We'll see.

post-25234-0-83264500-1518363607_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-64525200-1518363719_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-31563100-1518364173_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-65160600-1518366191_thumb.jpg

The cottages from station road are finally absent from the layout, gaining footpaths, fencing, and hopefully

ironmongery.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Johnster for your kind comments re the point rodding. I just have to summon the will to produce

more for the station throat, which will require more cranks, and crossing of running lines. I have concluded that

I am probably right in thinking that Facing Point Locks would only apply to passenger lines, so 2 on 1st point after

bridge, and loco shed access. Does anybody know the dimensions of their "covers"?

Recent work has been done around the mill, including additional trees, so the ford and farm track are now shaded by trees.

One seemed a little thin in the middle, so a fallen (dead) branch was added. These trees have also cocussed the

photo opportunities. This area is getting much more towards what I had envisaged, although I already have ideas to

replace this board, with one based on a Forest of Dean location. We'll see.

attachicon.gifDSC_0005.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0009.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0010.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0008.JPG

The cottages from station road are finally absent from the layout, gaining footpaths, fencing, and hopefully

ironmongery.

Tony, according to David J Smith's superb book on GWR switch and crossing practice, FPL covers spanned seven sleepers/timbers and were 13' 4" long. The slope at each end was 2' 2" and the flat centre part, which was hinged on one side to give access to the FPL itself, was therefore 9' 0" long. There was a supporting bracket at each end of the flat part and at its centre . The flat part stood 7.5" above sleeper level and the whole thing was 1' 4" wide.

Personally I think I will keep them at or below rail level.

• RMweb Gold

Definitely only 2 FPLs at Helston - on the point ends you have mentioned.  What I can't establish is whether or not track circuits were provided when the new lever frame was commissioned in early 1958 so I don't know whether or not point lock(ing) bars still existed after that date although I suspect that they probably did.  UPDATE a photo dated 1962 on the Cornwall railway's site definitely shows an inside lock(ing) bar on the engine shed point at the end of the platform and a couple of signalbox pictures show no signs of sealed releases so there is now no doubt in my mind that lock(ing) bars were retained on the points.  

The main way in which this is relevant to a model - depending on how detailed you want to be - is that the rodding from the signalbox is initially connected to the lock(ing) bar and it in turn drives a connection to the actual FPL bolt.  Thus on the engine shed point where the bar is inside the switch rail the rodding to that is in a different place to that you might normally expect.  There are a couple of good pics on the Cornwall Railways site that show the bar.

Incidentally nomenclature varied a bit with some calling the bar a 'lock bar' while others used the term 'locking bar'.  It is a rising bar operated by the FPL lever and has to lift in order to unlock the point - but if something is standing on it or passing over it that means it can't lift so the point stays locked

Thanks Mike and John for your replies. I think the rodding will go on hold for the moment, as the sections I had already made, were inconveniently

a little short, to reach from the Signal Box to just beyond the shed point. I also feel I can imrpove a little on the look if I can get some rod, as opposed to wire.

The question re FPLs I'll confess was more to find out how much I could hide under covers, rather than how much detail I can produce.

As a taster, a Pencarne - Helstonish special working has arrived behind an NBL type 2, which is caught mid run round.

post-25234-0-35563900-1518894044_thumb.jpg

The cottages behind have had a vacation on the kitchen table, but were evicted this weekend with grandchildren staying! However I managed to more or less finish their improvements just as the little people arrived. These were pics taken before they were relocated on the layout. Some of the views have only previously been seen at or just prior to last years Taunton SWAG trip.

post-25234-0-07296500-1518894224_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-85974700-1518894332_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-71340400-1518894450_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-48356800-1518894555_thumb.jpg

I'll return shortly with some other views, and more of the train working, but maybe not before peace has returned

to Mulgabill palace!

• Like 8

Yes Andy, there are still departures of milk to Pencarne from Helstonish. Thanks for your response to the first batch of pics from this weekend.

Its good to know that you are making some progress, and getting some enjoyment from the rabble on here. Take it steady, and here are a few

more pics to help pass the time.

More views of the completed cottages. The work has included the built up pavements, railings (produced from scratch for pennies), gutters and

downpipes (also from scratch and at no real cost).

post-25234-0-54203000-1519062738_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-99340800-1519063174_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-57068600-1519063263_thumb.jpg

And some more of the Pencarne special on/after arrival, which shows the cottages back in place

post-25234-0-51890500-1519063361_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-45554500-1519063470_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-71088100-1519063558_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-21096800-1519063659_thumb.jpg

I also have to report that the youg un's visit also brought unusual traction to Helstonish, with a Western hauled

parcels, and an Eveneing star hauled freight, amongst the workings. There were however no photographers

about to record these events.

• Like 8

OK so there is a Maltby wagon with an unusual load, I'll hold my hands up and admit I hadn't noticed it! To be honest it is quite likely that it's been there in the background of a high proportion of the pics on here. It is one of the 2 open wagons which I used whilst laying track to test things out. It then acquired semi-permanent residency as the go to recepticle of small odds and ends for whatever is currently being worked on. The bag in question contains small black pins which were used in laying the track rodding. Said bag has now been removed to the work bench, the wagon remains.

Last week I had a go at making some wagon tarpaulins, with ok results (I think)

post-25234-0-75004000-1519663985_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-54730200-1519664117_thumb.jpg

I also had a fiddle with my old Dublo 8F, and it's now running better than it ever did, as it now runs in both directions without stuttering. It therefore made a visit with a permanent way train.

post-25234-0-48223400-1519664259_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-15455400-1519664374_thumb.jpg

Over the weekend I went off topic a bit. Could be a new project in the offing, if I get "authorisation".

post-25234-0-74813900-1519664591_thumb.jpg

Also came across a couple of holidaymakers photos of Helstonish In the early 60s

post-25234-0-88931200-1519664833_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-09972800-1519664910_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-56640900-1519664984_thumb.jpg

Any comments welcome, I'm off to start cutting out parts for a new goods shed in anticipation that the authority comes through.

• Like 8

So this project on the side!

One of my grandsons will stand for hours operating Helstonish, under supervision, when he visits. He would like "a train".

Of course a normal train set becomes, boring quite quickly. So with a bit of lateral thinking, I thought, why not a version

of Andy P's Penybont in OO?

So I dragged out a baseboard from the garage (6'3" x 1'1" as it happens), and started fiddling with bits of track. I should mention

I don't really have a budget for this, just what I've accumulated as spares, and old stock that is probably even older than you see

on Helstonish.

Now I think I've come up with a cunning plan, but I might need reigning in, so please give me your thoughts.

On the board I found I could fit something based on Winterbourne Goods yard, which appeals for a number of reasons.

Not least that we lived about 200yds away for about 8 years. But also the goods yard fits between 2 overbridges, and

the station is beyond the Eastern one.

post-25234-0-19368500-1519810669_thumb.jpg

I've worked out that if I split that baseboard at about 2'6" then on that piece there will be an inglenook, 3 sidings, plus the 2 main

lines alongside. Married to a small sector plate fiddle yard, and we have a compact layout, with just 1 point, and plenty of shunting

interest for an 8 year old.

Conveniently, on the remaining piece of board (3'9"?) I could fit the rest of the yard layout, including the mainline crossover

including single slip. Leaving the opportunity of joining the two boards, plus a couple of fiddle yards, and we could even have

a (showable??) layout.

What could go wrong?

Do I have rose coloured glasses?

Will my daughter authorise the construction?

(I've already cut out the basic goods shed from card, although translating the small scale has caused a couple of errors/problems.

Any observations will be most welcome.

(Edited to add photo)

Edited by Mulgabill
  • Like 5

So this project on the side!

One of my grandsons will stand for hours operating Helstonish, under supervision, when he visits. He would like "a train".

Of course a normal train set becomes, boring quite quickly. So with a bit of lateral thinking, I thought, why not a version

of Andy P's Penybont in OO?

So I dragged out a baseboard from the garage (6'3" x 1'1" as it happens), and started fiddling with bits of track. I should mention

I don't really have a budget for this, just what I've accumulated as spares, and old stock that is probably even older than you see

on Helstonish.

Now I think I've come up with a cunning plan, but I might need reigning in, so please give me your thoughts.

On the board I found I could fit something based on Winterbourne Goods yard, which appeals for a number of reasons.

Not least that we lived about 200yds away for about 8 years. But also the goods yard fits between 2 overbridges, and

the station is beyond the Eastern one.

I've worked out that if I split that baseboard at about 2'6" then on that piece there will be an inglenook, 3 sidings, plus the 2 main

lines alongside. Married to a small sector plate fiddle yard, and we have a compact layout, with just 1 point, and plenty of shunting

interest for an 8 year old.

Conveniently, on the remaining piece of board (3'9"?) I could fit the rest of the yard layout, including the mainline crossover

including single slip. Leaving the opportunity of joining the two boards, plus a couple of fiddle yards, and we could even have

a (showable??) layout.

What could go wrong?

Do I have rose coloured glasses?

Will my daughter authorise the construction?

(I've already cut out the basic goods shed from card, although translating the small scale has caused a couple of errors/problems.

Any observations will be most welcome.

Morning Tony, This sounds interesting, can you show a Track Plan or even the boards with some Track laid out. It sounds rather good to me mate.

• Like 1

Thanks Andy, for your positive reponse.

I couldn't load a photo last night, but have now edited the post.

Just to develop this a little, I'll repeat the 2 pics I have, which hopefully shows the layout.

post-25234-0-39495100-1519810980_thumb.jpg

This shows the total layout - nearest 2 tracks are the main-lines, behind the yard is essentially 2 loops, including

one which serves the goods shed. On the left this is accessible by down trains reversing over a crossover, with

single slip.

post-25234-0-85247800-1519811251_thumb.jpg

The 2nd pic shows the right hand end, that is the part which would become my grandsons layout. On the end I would

need to make a small sector plate fiddle yard. The whole would be stretched a bit more, by removing the 3 plain straights

at the extreme right. I have spaced the tracks to match those on my 8' traverser, so that it could be matched for future

use. If required, I already have another simmilar board which could provide a duplicate for the other end.

I should say that the original layout has been ammended, in that there was a mainline crossover, then yard access point,

and cattle dock access point, (left to right). All were this side of the bridge, I have "moved" them East of the scene break.

How does that sound?

• Like 4

Hi Tony

Looks like a good idea.....

Certainly ticks lots of boxes as regards interesting running,flexibility as regards size & two different layouts.......

BUT most importantly keeping the grandson interested & having fun.....

Shall watch out for developments.

Cheers Bill

Hi Mulgabill,

my father's family all come from the area of Yate / Winterbourne / Coalpit Heath and your Goods Yard appeals as an excellent future project. Do you have maps or plans you're working from? A quick internet search didn't throw anything very helpful.

I spent long hours trainspotting from front bay window of their house on Hicks Common Rd (#27) that had clear views across the fields to the viaduct. :sungum:

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains

Very nice layout and an interesting read.

I say go for the new layout. Grandkids probably won't be interested in model railways for ever (probably when they discover the opposite sex if not before) so make the most of it with a golden time while you can.

Thanks to Bill, Colin and Chris for their responses - much appreciated.

I can now reveal that I have the neccessary authority for construction. And in the meantime I have started on construction of the goods shed,

but insufficient brick plasticard, and no printer for the paper alternative, has stalled progress. Undaunted I carried on by using my "snow days"

starting on a girder bridge. Entirely from card and to an approximation of the style at Winterbourne. I have subsequently found a clearer

picture of my own, which shows some "errors", but as the model will be longer than the real one, I'm not going to start again.

With regard to prototype info, I have the book - GWR The Badminton Line (Robertson/Abbott pub Alan Sutton 1988) which has most key details.

BUT the building plans are of a small scale and I'll admit there have been errors of translation to 4mm scale.

However on Helstonish I have aimed for the right impression, rather than an exact model, and am reasonably comfortable with that. After all

I am using 00 Peco code 100, which is "in stock". I'm losing a cross-over and points to goods yard and cattle dock, at the Eastern end, by

moving them beyond the bridge. And the bridge will be approaching twice as long as the real one.

The main aims will be to produce the small shunting layout, for my grandson, achieve a finish "better" than Helstonish, and make sure

the running is more reliable.

Do you think this should warrant its own topic, or shall I continue to mix and match on here?

Thanks again to all for your interest.

• Like 3

I like the basing a layout on a real place. Mine is a bit Aller Junction-ish but with tunnels after the junction.

post-12189-0-87854200-1520354036_thumb.jpg

I call it a caricature rather than a cartoon but I guess it means the same thing. 

Edited by Chris M
  • Like 6

I can now reveal that I have the neccessary authority for construction. And in the meantime I have started on construction of the goods shed,

but insufficient brick plasticard, and no printer for the paper alternative, has stalled progress. Undaunted I carried on by using my "snow days"

starting on a girder bridge. Entirely from card and to an approximation of the style at Winterbourne. I have subsequently found a clearer

picture of my own, which shows some "errors", but as the model will be longer than the real one, I'm not going to start again.

With regard to prototype info, I have the book - GWR The Badminton Line (Robertson/Abbott pub Alan Sutton 1988) which has most key details.

BUT the building plans are of a small scale and I'll admit there have been errors of translation to 4mm scale.

However on Helstonish I have aimed for the right impression, rather than an exact model, and am reasonably comfortable with that. After all

I am using 00 Peco code 100, which is "in stock". I'm losing a cross-over and points to goods yard and cattle dock, at the Eastern end, by

moving them beyond the bridge. And the bridge will be approaching twice as long as the real one.

The main aims will be to produce the small shunting layout, for my grandson, achieve a finish "better" than Helstonish, and make sure

Do you think this should warrant its own topic, or shall I continue to mix and match on here?

Hi Tony

Personally I'd start another topic as details might get confused.....

Also it will be good to follow the layout from start to finish without being distracted by your excellent Helstonish which can be followedseparately.....

As always...Rule one applies & I look forward to progress on both projects....

Cheers Bill

• RMweb Premium

Two topics are always better than one...