A Cartoon of Helston(ish)

Mulgabill

With regard to prototype info, I have the book - GWR The Badminton Line (Robertson/Abbott pub Alan Sutton 1988) which has most key details.

BUT the building plans are of a small scale and I'll admit there have been errors of translation to 4mm scale.

I guess that means Copyright rules out sharing of source info but if you prepare a computer based track plan, Anyrail or the like, I'd appreciate if you could post details. For reasons already stated, I'm seriously thinking about this as an idea and after all "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

Hope you can help.

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains

I guess that means Copyright rules out sharing of source info but if you prepare a computer based track plan, Anyrail or the like, I'd appreciate if you could post details. For reasons already stated, I'm seriously thinking about this as an idea and after all "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

Hope you can help.

Colin

Hi Colin

Try       http://maps.nls.uk/view/109729438#

for map published 1938.

I note the more rounded layout through the goods shed, than the schematic in the book.

Probably too late for me. My plans have moved the Eastern pointwork beyond the bridge,

although I think it would look better included, if I'm honest. But I'm trying to keep that

part simple, as that should become my grandsons.

Please let me know if that doesn't work, or you need to know more.

All the best

• Like 1

Whilst some work has been done on bits for the new project Huckford Road, Mrs MulgaBill has been

progressing with some walls for the front of the Bungalow on Helstonish.

A couple of pics for info

post-25234-0-60405500-1521564545_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-58013900-1521564611_thumb.jpg

I have also managed a few running sessions in the last week or so, but haven't stopped to get the camera

out, I'm afraid.

It;s been interesting, not using a timetable, but I have been using the cards for freights, which seems to

have worked well. Although I already know the next arrival includes serpentine hoppers, requiring a reverse shunt.

I'll let you know how it goes next time.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Have had yet another cold so got a bit behind on here, but stuff has been going on slowly.

Including a win on that auction site - look what arrived this morning

post-25234-0-73442200-1522936893_thumb.jpg

The 6 wheel toad is very nice, but wouldn't have been bought, unless I'd

spotted this opportunity. The other 2 could well be available at SWAG Taunton, as I

already have 2 shunters trucks, and 2 Tavistock branded toads. Unless I get tempted

to re-brand them Helstonish. But I don't really know how I would go about that.

So a couple of "archive" pics

Firstly todays arrival, in a period (GWR) working

post-25234-0-65657900-1522937275_thumb.jpg

A couple of my venerable Triang/Hornby Hall. This was received as a Birthday present  in about

1967 or 68 when it (and the Hymek) were first released. It was updated along the lines of the

R M article. Recently I came across a "new" set of cylinders from Peters Spares, which has transformed 

it, but it still lacks "modern" driving wheels.

post-25234-0-59255000-1522937460_thumb.jpg

For comparison alongside an original, obtained with a view to a repeat proceedure, if I ever come

across the article again.

post-25234-0-39126200-1522937731_thumb.jpg

Will try to come back with some layout info soon.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like ages since I put anything on here, probably 'cos it is.

I've been a bit sidetracked. some time was spent improving my stock storage. This pic

is fairly self explanatory.

post-25234-0-67742300-1524669907_thumb.jpg

I did get 6 plastic boxes, but have subsequently got another 4 so time will need to be set

aside to make another 8 or 10 trays, when I can source some more suitable card.

I also realised, with Taunton SWAG do in the offing, I should at least attempt an "improved"

cornish hedge for Stubby's attention. This little diorama was produced, although it was not

a quick-fix, adding individual 1mm stones!

post-25234-0-25110600-1524670245_thumb.jpg

I have also had a few goes at fiddling with old loco, and have partially rescusitated these two.

They do now run, although not in a manner to display anywhere other than my padded cell.

post-25234-0-76502800-1524670635_thumb.jpg

And feeling guilty - I managed to catch 4573 hassling some coal wagons today

post-25234-0-95274800-1524671031_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-67300300-1524671116_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-30392100-1524671254_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-49371400-1524671337_thumb.jpg

Thats all for now, but please if any of you are going to the Taunton SWAG do on Sunday, please

do say hello. I'm just a punter so don;t be afraid to acost me. I'd really like to know who you all are.

• Like 8

Went to the Swag do at Taunton on Sunday - what a great day out.

Great to meet various peoples I'd not met before, particularly Robin (ANTB), which also allowed

my Ocean Mails coach to return home, via Mutton.

post-25234-0-62747800-1525184535_thumb.jpg

Also good to see again those who were so encouragingg when Helstonish was there last year.

Most of my pics have appeared elsewhere, so won't be reposted here.

I took samples of my mk 1 and mk2 cornish hedges,which were well received by those I showed them to.

post-25234-0-93286800-1525184101_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-15491100-1525184342_thumb.jpg

So that was a big plus. (Pics are Mk2)

Amazingly whilst I enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere, I found I did miss the involvement of last year, and its

left me feeling I must get on with the Huckford Road project - maybe next year?

Bringing us back to earth, a pic from the last visit to Helstonish, shunting over and returning to shed.

post-25234-0-26230400-1525185263_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Well there's a story to the silence on here -

Just before the SWAG Taunton day out I grabbed a few pics of an Helstonish Autotrain working.

Leaving Truthwell Halt

post-25234-0-44499200-1527426209_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-97342000-1527426456_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-13480800-1527426758_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-43866400-1527426837_thumb.jpg

We then had 5 1/2 Hrs at the Bristol show on the following Saturday.

On the Sunday somebody (not me) fell and broke their hip, and I became a carer!

Little time for much in the way of modelling since. But I have, with help from "Stovepipe"

on here, via Downendians thread, managed to fit new traction tyres to my ancient

mainline Peak. It now runs fine, and has been photo'd on a Helstonish (on severn) to

Bath Green Park working.

post-25234-0-13128800-1527427636_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-94000900-1527427819_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-44763200-1527427918_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-11357400-1527428022_thumb.jpg

I have managed a bit more, on Huckford Road, but that in turn means access in the train room is restricted

as I've boxes of track etc all over the floor.

Hope to be back with better news soon.

• Like 4

Well there's a story to the silence on here -

Just before the SWAG Taunton day out I grabbed a few pics of an Helstonish Autotrain working.

Leaving Truthwell Halt

attachicon.gifDSC_0105.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0104.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0106.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0107.JPG

We then had 5 1/2 Hrs at the Bristol show on the following Saturday.

On the Sunday somebody (not me) fell and broke their hip, and I became a carer!

Little time for much in the way of modelling since. But I have, with help from "Stovepipe"

on here, via Downendians thread, managed to fit new traction tyres to my ancient

mainline Peak. It now runs fine, and has been photo'd on a Helstonish (on severn) to

Bath Green Park working.

attachicon.gifDSC_0124.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0123.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0125.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0126.JPG

I have managed a bit more, on Huckford Road, but that in turn means access in the train room is restricted

as I've boxes of track etc all over the floor.

Hope to be back with better news soon.

Good to see you back with more great pic's Tony.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to The Johnster and Andy P for their responses to my last post.

There is not much to report on Helstonish, I'm afraid.

I've been too busy with domestic duties, which has included an unsupervised, scratch built (birthday) cake

for "Hop Along".

The plus side is that I have had special permission to use the kitchen table to progress work on

Huckford Road.

This is an up to date pic i.e.  5th June

post-25234-0-26660300-1528220589_thumb.jpg

More details and picks will be found on Huckford Road thread.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to The Johnster and Andy P for their responses to my last post.

There is not much to report on Helstonish, I'm afraid.

I've been too busy with domestic duties, which has included an unsupervised, scratch built (birthday) cake

for "Hop Along".

The plus side is that I have had special permission to use the kitchen table to progress work on

Huckford Road.

This is an up to date pic i.e.  5th June

attachicon.gifDSC_0137.JPG

More details and picks will be found on Huckford Road thread.

That's all very well, but wot about a picture of the cake?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Never mind a picture, how about a piece of cake?

All the best for a speedy recovery to hopalong; I did my knee in a few years ago and found the restriction of movement very irritating.  But the only thing that works is taking it easy and keeping the weight off; perhaps she could be given some tea tray modelling tasks as occupational therapy...

John - I'm sorry your request arrived just too late, to oblige.

post-25234-0-10072300-1528315438_thumb.jpg

Johnster, that can be arranged, available from Helstonish Refreshment Room.

As for occupational therapy, "Hop Along" did procure a new jig-saw, which reached (near) completion

today.

post-25234-0-99768000-1528315727_thumb.jpg

She has also intimated that when we return from Tenby, she may be amenable to starting on a few more

trees. We shall see.

Of course if either of you gents were to visit Helstonish, I'm sure a replacement cake could well be

scratch built in honour of the occaision.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

John - I'm sorry your request arrived just too late, to oblige.

attachicon.gifDSC_0139.JPG

Johnster, that can be arranged, available from Helstonish Refreshment Room.

As for occupational therapy, "Hop Along" did procure a new jig-saw, which reached (near) completion

today.

attachicon.gifDSC_0138.JPG

She has also intimated that when we return from Tenby, she may be amenable to starting on a few more

trees. We shall see.

Of course if either of you gents were to visit Helstonish, I'm sure a replacement cake could well be

scratch built in honour of the occaision.

Dursley's a bit far for a weekend, but who knows?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Since my last post we did manage a family holiday, near Tenby. Only trains seen were a couple like this.

post-25234-0-47672700-1529956274_thumb.jpg

But of some interest was the bulhead track still in use on the Pembroke Dock branch through Tenby station.

Shouldn't that make it a candidate for a steam excursion? Would look nice. Perhaps Peco could sponsor one!

post-25234-0-72629600-1529956411_thumb.jpg

Railway room is still pretty inaccessible, other than to fetch tools or materials, so no progress on Helstonish.

Although I did buy a couple of road vehicles at the Hucclecoat (Gloucester) show.

There has been some progress made on Huckford road, especially as I had an unexpected day at home today.

This is the first train, a Stoke Gifford - Swindon trip, arriving at Huckford Road yard.

post-25234-0-67579900-1529957060_thumb.jpg

Very much looking forward to getting to a point whereby I can repack everything under the bed, and get back to

having access to Helstonish.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

About time for an update I think.

Well very little has changed in the layout room. Its still a mess, with rare visits for

supplies. As it faces the sun, it's a bit hot and stuffy pm, even with the blinds down.

Consequently modelling has been going on elsewhere (downstairs).

Relevant to Helstonish are some MDO(?) wagons. 2 are upgrades(?) of Hornby

Bolsover vesion, the other a part built Ian Kirk kit I "won"

post-25234-0-98794800-1532368702_thumb.jpg

This shows the bits, part way through, but I've just realised I've no pics of the end products yet.

So theres a cliffhanger for you. I'll try to remeber some next time.

Also been lucky with some books from our local charity bookshop

post-25234-0-68431300-1532368935_thumb.jpg

The errant 94xx has had it's coupling rods staraightened, and after a lot of fiddling does

now run, although not quite as well as before.

Must also thank Ade Moore for all the likes, it's nice to know somebody has both found Helstonish,

and stuck with it.

I too will stick with it, there is the station platform/road to be rebuilt, and I have to get back to some

better form of point rodding. Maybe when it cools down. (There has also been progress over on

Huckford Road - which I'll bring up to date shortly).

All the best

• Like 4

Hi Tony

Glad to see some,however small,progress....

The trouble with a good summer is the heat that we're not used to.....

I feel sorry for those whose layouts are in lofts like mine once was......

Keep up the good work......

Cheers Bill

• RMweb Premium

About time for an update I think.

Well very little has changed in the layout room. Its still a mess, with rare visits for

supplies. As it faces the sun, it's a bit hot and stuffy pm, even with the blinds down.

Consequently modelling has been going on elsewhere (downstairs).

Relevant to Helstonish are some MDO(?) wagons. 2 are upgrades(?) of Hornby

Bolsover vesion, the other a part built Ian Kirk kit I "won"

attachicon.gifDSC_0204.JPG

This shows the bits, part way through, but I've just realised I've no pics of the end products yet.

So theres a cliffhanger for you. I'll try to remeber some next time.

Also been lucky with some books from our local charity bookshop

attachicon.gifDSC_0210.JPG

The errant 94xx has had it's coupling rods staraightened, and after a lot of fiddling does

now run, although not quite as well as before.

Must also thank Ade Moore for all the likes, it's nice to know somebody has both found Helstonish,

and stuck with it.

I too will stick with it, there is the station platform/road to be rebuilt, and I have to get back to some

better form of point rodding. Maybe when it cools down. (There has also been progress over on

Huckford Road - which I'll bring up to date shortly).

All the best

Hi Tony thanks for the mention first I’ve ever received while reading a thread! Usually at the end of the current page where I post I’ve had an enjoyable read the author makes mention. I’ve been clicking on many posters signatures and finding good topics to follow, that’s how I found yours. I always like to read a good topic from start to end when it’s a thread I’m enjoying. I should of kept a record of all the threads I’ve read start to finish! Dent was probably the biggest. By the way “Dent, KY2, ANTB, DitD etc” DitD escapes me care to enlighten me?

Enjoying Helstonish and I like the scenery method with the gardeners fleece as a cover with the tin foil under. I may try that when I move on to my layout when loco and stock building is completed.

Keep it up and posting on here I’ll keep reading and liking currently on page 7 of 13.

Cheers

Ade

Hi Tony thanks for the mention first I’ve ever received while reading a thread! Usually at the end of the current page where I post I’ve had an enjoyable read the author makes mention. I’ve been clicking on many posters signatures and finding good topics to follow, that’s how I found yours. I always like to read a good topic from start to end when it’s a thread I’m enjoying. I should of kept a record of all the threads I’ve read start to finish! Dent was probably the biggest. By the way “Dent, KY2, ANTB, DitD etc” DitD escapes me care to enlighten me?

Enjoying Helstonish and I like the scenery method with the gardeners fleece as a cover with the tin foil under. I may try that when I move on to my layout when loco and stock building is completed.

Keep it up and posting on here I’ll keep reading and liking currently on page 7 of 13.

Cheers

Ade

Thanks Ade

DitD = Diesels in the Dutchy - based on St Blazey and done by a group of RM webbers -  alot to wade through, but well worth it.

Even has some mention of moddeling.

All the best

By way of a p.s. to yesterdays post.

I also produced a mk1 cauliflower

post-25234-0-30599100-1532436873_thumb.jpg

A little development required, but I think its on the right track, and

will look better in a row, in a back garden.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Not too much progress re Helstonish, what there has has been agricultural.

The Mk 2 Broccili (Cauliflowers) have come on quite well, and we now have

a bed full -

post-25234-0-36004200-1533135869_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-02615600-1533135994_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately they did rather better than my Seafoam seedlings are managing.

I never have been a gardener!

post-25234-0-46827000-1533136069_thumb.jpg

Mrs MB has at least been progressing some more trees, I just hope she isn't

expecting to add seafoam branches next!

post-25234-0-61200200-1533136143_thumb.jpg

As ever any observations, suggestion welcomed.

• Like 4