A Cartoon of Helston(ish)

Mulgabill

Well last weeks auction was eventful.

Firstly I didn't get the L&SWR carriage map, or the later copy of LB&SCR carriage map - I was outbid.

Also outbid for the lots with locos and or wagons and or GW Collet coaches.

I did get 2 lots

1st a mixture of vehicles and (mostly Bachman) buildings.

DSC_2561.JPG.78c02b25bf295e28bfb92361bc925049.JPG

DSC_2562.JPG.b4d70bf4e2505241bb03cba8d0edf91f.JPG

Probably won't get any more in this post, so will come back with some more in another post.

• Like 2

The buildings are shown here

DSC_2567.JPG.13bbfd5d3d69cb0a9996465bb4d4c103.JPGDSC_2568.JPG.f7867e272095cdc478199a32548d753b.JPG

But that wasn't the end of my investments.

A guy from Tetbury (who has a 2mm model of Tetbury), who outbid me on 2 of the stock lots. Did agree to sell me

a Hornby blood & custard Autocoach. Whilst doing the deal outside, he decided to take a look at the Hornby Large Prairie hed got.

Trouble was it was boxed upsidedown! Fortunately although I couldn't catch it, I did deflect it into a cardboard box on the

floor, so averting a total catastrophe on the tarmac.

The last couple of days have seen me weilding a soldering iron. Not a pretty sight. And for a while

the new section didn't want to play. I did get it to run from a direct controller plug in. But it should work off the

controllers either side. Reireed the DPDT switch, but to no avail. Finally traced to a dead connection on the

fidlle board. Will try to resolve over the next couple of days.

Further news of the recent infestation to follow soon.

• Like 6

DSC_2564.JPG.f0bb287f1ed3dfa09ed1eaacfde7acd5.JPGDSC_2566.JPG.758b80703070783e9957809a76a9caf8.JPG

The infestation has grown - class 25/2 appeared on Saturday, as did the wagons behind it.

I am now desperately sitting on my hands, under strict instructions that I must make no more

"accidental" purchases from that auction site. (Andy P - please stop posting tempting, inspirational

pics. Classs 31s only please, not likely to be tempted by them).

Thanks to those who liked my last posts.

Edited by Mulgabill
awful spelling/mistyping
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Helstonish is re-connected.

For 2 boards, and one point, the electrics put up a bit of a fight. Who would have

thought a 12 core cable would have 3 browns. (Tan, Mid, Dark). In the limited lighting

you try telling mid from dark. However I can no feel smug that I traced the fault, diligently,

and with a trickery meter. Now the new corner section can be isolated (off) or driven by the

fiddleyard. Alternatively it can be driven by Sect 1 of Helstonish. If I'm clever, a quick flick of

the switch can see an on the move transfer of drive.

Here we have one of the first workings over the new section, a Bath Road Hymek with a return

Bristol - Helstonish Excursion.

DSC_2572.JPG.fada7bac39194ae2c0c2c5eb74bcace2.JPG

There is also provision to plug in a controller directly, which will ultimately make this section

showable. Small temporary fiddle yards could be driven from this controller, as required.

Switches are mounted in a small box, which can be hung front or back.

DSC_2573.JPG.1c902d941b0404aac8989376317a5929.JPG

Reaching this stage has allowed a major clear up of the train room (but please ignore any

glimpses of the worktop!)

There is more to show, but inspite of trying to revert to re-sizing the pics, I seem to only

be able to pick up the full fat versions. At about 4Mb each any more will be over the top.

So I'll try to revert later with a few more, must go play trains before Mrs MB returns.

(Damn she's just come in the door!).

• Like 4

I've been playing trains! Won't even pretend I was testing, although I suppose I did notice a few things.

Unfortunately it included a large prairie which,having brought in the milk, suddenly whirred but didn't move!

Anyway lots of type 2s North British & BR seemed to be coping.

to let you catch up - here we have the Hymek from earlier, arriving in the fiddle yard.

DSC_2573.JPG.4697c713d1d552528572436f66a0cae1.JPG

And the view in the opposite direction, the train having reached Temple Meads.

DSC_2574.JPG.9419a8b866f21044623e23d44612aaec.JPG

Still got to get used to this new set up, and I'm concious that I won't always be able to

put my arms through areas I am at present. But it should look nice, I Hope.

As ever any questions or comments welcomed.

• Like 6

Regular readers may remember my mentioning that the old corner board, with the mill and Truthwell Halt, had been cut down.

It was residing on the kitchen table acting as a photo diorama, but has now been given a (semi) permanent home.

A couple of less than perfect pics, to give an idea of the direction this is heading.

DSC_2575.JPG.5ddfb8d5aa5bd3af0d2aa36ac27a2fec.JPG

DSC_2576.JPG.fa5c3f2aee653d113742e717fe779ee8.JPG

Thanks to those who "liked" my last couple of posts.

Anybody going to the RM Web Taunton gig, or the Helston show the day before?

If all falls into place we're hoping to do both.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mulgabill said:

Can't make Helston, but should get to Taunton.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 hours ago, Andrew P said:

excellent Scenics there Tony, looking great.

Had a day off modelling yesterday, doing stuff (rebuilding) at the sailing club.

Today visited the train room to find said scenics had fallen through their frame!!!

Fortunately they fell on a skew. resing on the end of the Fiddle Yard. No stock

was damaged (I think), and restoration has commenced with some support brackets

being added to frame. They're drying at the moment, tomorrow I will hopefully

use copious ammounts of PVA, and some screws to refit.

Mind you I've just remembered I bought some 6" nails last weekend for another job

so I may just dig them out.

Just to keep some proper railway modelling content - does anybody know how to remove

the bogies from a Bachman class 42 Warship?

• Friendly/supportive 1

50 minutes ago, Mulgabill said:

Just to keep some proper railway modelling content - does anybody know how to remove

the bogies from a Bachman class 42 Warship?

Drop it! :o

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

On 14/03/2019 at 21:09, Mulgabill said:

Hi Tony

I shan't be going to Taunton as I shall be at the Helston show with Creedyford so hopefully see you there if all goes to plan for you

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Have to admit I gave up the chance of a day in the railway room today = in favour of a couple of hours or so in the sun.

In the company of this little beauty

DSC_2586.JPG.d6dcd1029aa324115bc5d84bf769adb2.JPG

Making its debut on the AVR at Bitton, formerly worked at Fry's Somerdale Chocolate Factory, only a couple of miles from Bitton.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Very nice. I would too. 

I assume it’s a fireless loco which wouldn’t normally have moved far from its source of HP steam.  Do they have contingency arrangements on the AVR (being somewhat irreverent I wonder about an immersion heater connected to a genny in the adjacent Toad!)?

Paul.

Hi Paul

I'm afraid you are barking up the wrong tree.

Its actually a small sentinel, so small vertical boiler in the cab, and chain driven single geared, mechanical drive chain.

Quite quiet when stationairy, but then a fairly constant hiss when moving, accompanied by a whirring hum from the drive.

Quite an interesting experience, sort of thing capn Kernow would find cute, should he vist.

All the best

TONY

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Lovely that, similar to No.5 WTW  I’m building smaller I imagine. I live pretty close by so will have to pop along and enjoy it’s company. Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

A quick plea for advice.

On the prototype I am copying(?), for the new corner section, I have a reference to

a 4 lever, open, groundframe.

At the location we have 1 short siding, off the single track, and a small level crossing.

(More akin to an occupation crossing).

I presume the levers will be for the point, and Facing point lock.

So what are the other 2 for? And what would be appropriate lever colours?

Thanks in anticipation.

• RMweb Gold

As soon as you mention ‘level crossing’ I get twitchy!  I see reference to Nancegollen Crossing on the SRS web site but no details.  One possibility (=guess) is that the crossing may be interlocked with the signalling in some way.  Assuming a small crossing with overlapping gates, hand working would be the order of the day. That then leaves two options: 2x fixed distants plus 2x worked stop signals (= Red levers) or stop target on the gates plus 2x worked distants (= Yellow levers).  I know that the worked distants was a method used on GER but I don’t know if (G)WR did.  Photos of either the crossing or signals would give me a better clue. 

I’m reasonably certain that it won’t have been a release lever since (G)WR used an Annets Key or Token release for that.

Paul.

• Thanks 1

Hi Paul

Can't find a clear link to a photo, but the Upper Soudley diagram below, is the real location.

Perhaps I should also mention - there was a distant signal just on the tunnel side of the crossing. In the 60s this was almost invariably clear,

even in photos of trains leaving the tunnel.

Does that help?

thanks

image.png

Edited by Mulgabill

Have realised there is a catch point on the siding, that means I'll have to make changes, and it will now only hold

2 wagons. (3 on the real one).

Would this explain another lever?

Coould it have been a 4 lever groundframe, with 1 unused lever?

• RMweb Gold

Morning Tony,

I’ll do the easy bit first: catch point makes no difference, it would be worked off the same lever as the ‘main’ line end.  (In this application it is strictly a trap point not a catch point but that’s me just being a pedantic engineeer!)

I’ve had a lot of fun on OS maps and the National Library of Scotland online resource so my geography of the railways in the forest is much improved.  Unfortunately I’m no further forward on lever colours: the 1:10560 map shows a signal near the mouth of the tunnel (the distant signal you mention) and another signal about 1/2 mile away (the other end of Upper Soudley). A 25in map also shows a signal protecting the GF. These are both RH signals going if towards the tunnel but I still think they apply in that direction (this is GWR after all) and could be distant and home.

I think you need to select lever colours and go for it; I would go for Red, Black, Blue and Red.  The order of the blue/black depends which way round the GF lies so that the rodding does not need to cross (can be done but easier if not) so blue nearest Upper S and black nearest Lower S.  If (!) someone comes up with better evidence be prepared to repaint!

Regarding ‘your’ distant signal being off for trains in the wrong direction, that just suggests to me that it belonged to Soudley No.1 crossing where the gates were normally closed to the road and only opened when a vehicle arrived and no trains were about. 

Hope this isn’t too much information . . .

Paul.

• Informative/Useful 2

36 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Morning Tony,

I’ll do the easy bit first: catch point makes no difference, it would be worked off the same lever as the ‘main’ line end.  (In this application it is strictly a trap point not a catch point but that’s me just being a pedantic engineeer!)

I’ve had a lot of fun on OS maps and the National Library of Scotland online resource so my geography of the railways in the forest is much improved.  Unfortunately I’m no further forward on lever colours: the 1:10560 map shows a signal near the mouth of the tunnel (the distant signal you mention) and another signal about 1/2 mile away (the other end of Upper Soudley). A 25in map also shows a signal protecting the GF. These are both RH signals going if towards the tunnel but I still think they apply in that direction (this is GWR after all) and could be distant and home.

I think you need to select lever colours and go for it; I would go for Red, Black, Blue and Red.  The order of the blue/black depends which way round the GF lies so that the rodding does not need to cross (can be done but easier if not) so blue nearest Upper S and black nearest Lower S.  If (!) someone comes up with better evidence be prepared to repaint!

Regarding ‘your’ distant signal being off for trains in the wrong direction, that just suggests to me that it belonged to Soudley No.1 crossing where the gates were normally closed to the road and only opened when a vehicle arrived and no trains were about. 

Hope this isn’t too much information . . .

Paul.

Thanks Paul, thats really useful, and I'll probably do as you say, unless somebody else comes up with something

more plausible.

Thanks for taking the effort to learn all about the Forest Lines. A really interesting network that many are totally unaware of.

• Thanks 1