A Cartoon of Helston(ish)

Mulgabill

Lego.

Well 14 worked and I'm pretty pleased with that. Steps are fitted, and whilst typing this

it occurs to me that it may be the way to improve on the bunker-back steps. Is that 15

I said the list gets longer.

Also was a smokebox dart on the list, if so tick it off. (another scratch yersion, but an

improvement over moulded plastic.

Will have to rescue a lineside fence, where yesterday I managed to loose the end 2 posts,

when the other 8 were glued firmly in place. Well the ground in that area was a bit of a

rough problem. So I suspect there may be some rapid growth in that area.

The down goods finally makes it into Helstonish today

DSC_1234.JPG.8bb5245194aaf4fb54e76c4c2e7ec811.JPGDSC_1234.JPG.8bb5245194aaf4fb54e76c4c2e7ec811.JPG

DSC_1232.JPG.1124c301be7bfb32c8aa548d770c0e0b.JPG

I also forgot yesterday (HOW?), but today is J day -2, I got THE call Monday afternoon. So from

3pm Friday freedom beckons. But probably from such a distance that I won't see it. Mind

you it could signal less modelling time ahead, thats not so good.

And a final thought for today

Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it isn't sufficiently complex yet.

Stay safe

TONY

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Mulgabill said:

If it ain't broke, break it. Then you have the joy of putting it back together again.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Funny 2

J -1 day.

Bit late so will get on with a couple of pics.

But first - not much progress yesterday on 94XX, will give myself a good talking to.

and

An engineer was crossing a road one day, when a frog called out to him and said, "If you kiss me, I'll turn into a beautiful princess."

He bent over, picked up the frog, and put it in his pocket.

The frog spoke up again and said, "If you kiss me, I'll turn back into a beautiful princess and stay with you for one week."

The engineer took the frog out of his pocket, smiled at it and returned it to the pocket.

The frog then cried out, "If you kiss me and turn me back into a princess I'll stay with you for one week and do anything you want."

Again, the engineer took the frog out, smiled at it and put it back into his pocket.

Finally, the frog asked, "What's the matter? I've told you I'm a beautiful princess and that I'll stay with you for one week and do anything you want. Why won't you kiss me?"

DSC_1231.JPG.51c9cfe906e1307cd2ec405f510fb9f2.JPG

DSC_1230.JPG.08a34449772a0c86c6a9a538d7ab9c49.JPG

The engineer said, "Look, I'm an engineer. I don't have time for a girlfriend. But a talking frog - now that's cool."

Back again soon, have a good day.

TONY

• Like 6

Two engineers were standing at the base of a flagpole, looking at its top. A woman walked by and asked what they were doing

"We're supposed to find the height of this flagpole," said Sven, "but we don't have a ladder."

The woman took a spanner from her purse, loosened a couple of bolts, and laid the pole down on the ground. Then she took a tape measure from her purse, took a measurement, announced, "6.5 metres," and walked away.

DSC_1228.JPG.9ae40b8d367ebe3c53cf669244869ab0.JPG

Yesterday was definately not a photo evidence day. I spent quite some time gluing twigs together

to form the basis of some scrubby trees (I hope). Also erected a (peco) fence. Added vac and steam

pipes to the 94XX. Made a second set of bunker steps.

DSC_1224.JPG.d0e875d5e7064cb32fecf28b43e276c8.JPG

In turn that gives me something to ponder, as a distraction whilst being jabbed this afternoon.

Do I go with the replacements, and strip the 2st version & lamp brackets off, for replacement?

Or do I accept that with a few wonky handrails, it's not going to challenge the Bachy version,

and just get it back together, pending painting?

Any observations to inform this dilemma would be very much welcomed. As would advice re

sourcing suitable, and economic, transfers. Something, of which, I've only very limited

experience. And that from many years ago.

All the best

TONY

One engineer shook his head and laughed, "A lot of good that does us. We ask for the height and she gives us the length!"

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

Two engineers were standing at the base of a flagpole, looking at its top. A woman walked by and asked what they were doing

"We're supposed to find the height of this flagpole," said Sven, "but we don't have a ladder."

The woman took a spanner from her purse, loosened a couple of bolts, and laid the pole down on the ground. Then she took a tape measure from her purse, took a measurement, announced, "6.5 metres," and walked away.

DSC_1228.JPG.9ae40b8d367ebe3c53cf669244869ab0.JPG

Yesterday was definately not a photo evidence day. I spent quite some time gluing twigs together

to form the basis of some scrubby trees (I hope). Also erected a (peco) fence. Added vac and steam

pipes to the 94XX. Made a second set of bunker steps.

DSC_1224.JPG.d0e875d5e7064cb32fecf28b43e276c8.JPG

In turn that gives me something to ponder, as a distraction whilst being jabbed this afternoon.

Do I go with the replacements, and strip the 2st version & lamp brackets off, for replacement?

Or do I accept that with a few wonky handrails, it's not going to challenge the Bachy version,

and just get it back together, pending painting?

Any observations to inform this dilemma would be very much welcomed. As would advice re

sourcing suitable, and economic, transfers. Something, of which, I've only very limited

All the best

TONY

One engineer shook his head and laughed, "A lot of good that does us. We ask for the height and she gives us the length!"

There's another version of that.

A physicist, a meteorologist and an engineer were asked to determine the height of a building using only a barometer.

The physicist went to the roof, dropped the barometer and timed its fall.

The meteorologist measured the difference in atmospheric pressure between the bottom and the top.

The engineer went into the lobby and said to the concierge "I'll give you this barometer if you tell me the height of the building".

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

As would advice re

What transfers do you need Tony? I've got a rather ancient Pressfix sheet 7. I could cut out the relevant ones and post them to you.

On 13/02/2021 at 03:28, St Enodoc said:

What transfers do you need Tony? I've got a rather ancient Pressfix sheet 7. I could cut out the relevant ones and post them to you.

Thanks John.

I think I really only need a pair of BR Crests(?) for the 94XX. I'm thinking plain black, quite

unkempt for the livery.

But I do have a few older loco's which were already repainted an age ago, and which would benefit

from the same. (e,g. Triang Hall, Triang 3F). Then theres the 42XX and 72XX I obtained recently, which

are in GW, but would probably be better in BR. Then theres an 8F which is in LMS .... etc etc etc.

So rather than "ship" them half way round the word, realistically I should decline your kind offer, and

just seek the kind advice on here.

What is the the best / easiest / economic transfers to get?

And of course, are there any "tricks" that would help in their application?

I suppose I should also state that the extent of my experience is those which

were supplied with Airfix / Ratio kits, most of which bore labels in pounds and pence!

All the best

TONY

• Thanks 1

On 10/02/2021 at 09:32, Mulgabill said:

Lego.

Well 14 worked and I'm pretty pleased with that. Steps are fitted, and whilst typing this

it occurs to me that it may be the way to improve on the bunker-back steps. Is that 15

I said the list gets longer.

Also was a smokebox dart on the list, if so tick it off. (another scratch yersion, but an

improvement over moulded plastic.

Will have to rescue a lineside fence, where yesterday I managed to loose the end 2 posts,

when the other 8 were glued firmly in place. Well the ground in that area was a bit of a

rough problem. So I suspect there may be some rapid growth in that area.

The down goods finally makes it into Helstonish today

DSC_1234.JPG.8bb5245194aaf4fb54e76c4c2e7ec811.JPGDSC_1234.JPG.8bb5245194aaf4fb54e76c4c2e7ec811.JPG

DSC_1232.JPG.1124c301be7bfb32c8aa548d770c0e0b.JPG

I also forgot yesterday (HOW?), but today is J day -2, I got THE call Monday afternoon. So from

3pm Friday freedom beckons. But probably from such a distance that I won't see it. Mind

you it could signal less modelling time ahead, thats not so good.

And a final thought for today

Stay safe

TONY

Well Tony we must have passed on Friday my wife was down for three as well. We got there early in goes my wife and we just asked if I could get done. I am 63 with dia2 yes they say let’s get you booked in so both had it at the same time. Well done the Vale maybe they need renaming it to Jenner hospital or a stature of the fine Doctor.

Keith

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

Thanks John.

I think I really only need a pair of BR Crests(?) for the 94XX. I'm thinking plain black, quite

unkempt for the livery.

But I do have a few older loco's which were already repainted an age ago, and which would benefit

from the same. (e,g. Triang Hall, Triang 3F). Then theres the 42XX and 72XX I obtained recently, which

are in GW, but would probably be better in BR. Then theres an 8F which is in LMS .... etc etc etc.

So rather than "ship" them half way round the word, realistically I should decline your kind offer, and

just seek the kind advice on here.

What is the the best / easiest / economic transfers to get?

And of course, are there any "tricks" that would help in their application?

I suppose I should also state that the extent of my experience is those which

were supplied with Airfix / Ratio kits, most of which bore labels in pounds and pence!

All the best

TONY

No problem Tony. Just let me know if you change your mind. After all, I owe you something in return for the broccoli/cauliflowers!

• Thanks 1

Parish notices first today.

Keith - I wish I'd known to look out for you on Friday. It would have been good

to have shouted a Hello, and put a face to the name. Did you have any reaction

to the jabs? For no particular reason both Mrs MB and I found it hard to get

to sleep Friday night, and consequently were very "flat" come Saturday. Coincidence?

However perhaps we should celebrate our eventual release by getting together for

a coffee, after all this time.

So back to the normal waffle, and a pic to brighten the thread

DSC_1249.JPG.da427bfc3a59f31cbc9a0a0da59cf023.JPG

The 94XX has made some progress, both backwards, and forwards. First off I

did strip off the bunker steps, and 2 of the lamp irons. In doing so some of the

fire iron hangers fell off, along with the top lamp bracket.

All of these have been re-fitted, along with another tank side handrail, which

simply dis-appeared.

Now requires a god, but very gentle, clean. With a view to getting a spray of

undercoat (Halfords?) when the weather warms up later.

As a consequence of the "flat" weekend I actually did not venture into the

train room. Hopefully that will happen later and some pics can be taken.

DSC_1247.JPG.4cfb06b4cf80c1d2f946e5e62d6b7931.JPG

All the best and stay safe

TONY

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Parish news update 2,

Likewise felt a bit under the weather Saturday but as it was grotty outside not a problem. Sunday fine yes a coffee soon would not be a bad idea.

Also the layout is looking good. Following a timetable with arrivals departures going to and from seams to be the way layouts are going. I am still working on my plan but already have looked at the timetable. But I am going to set the cat among the pigeons and for my first layout it will be in EM.......

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry about the absence for the last couple of days. Simply down to the camera battery

running out, mid shoot.

And then bits removed from the layout etc.

Will get pics back soon, I hope.

The 94XX continues to fight back, exhibiting some running problems when put back together.

Gradually taming them, although I suspect the chassis was not the EBargain I had hoped.

However on a more positive note I did come across some BR transfers, which I didn't

know I had. They have to be at least 45 years old. Plus a few for ratio/airfix wagons as well.

Also found GWR platform fencing, just need to work out how to do suitable gates, on the

station, as well.

May get back to some buildings soon, with some sketched out on the computer, but the

laser cutter seems to be moving out of reach, as they seem to be getting almost as expensive

as locos!

All the best

TONY

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Right back on track. A little late, but I have managed to escape for a (short( run

this morning. As you can tell, I survived.

Whilst the photographers have been distracted, it feels like quite a lot has been

going on. But there hasn't been too much evidence to show.

I will start sharing the pics I do have. Apologies if it seems a bit repetitive.

First up the 94XX, seen here posed with seemingly most of the work done.

However this shows the first iteration of the back end. Most of this did get

removed, and re-done.

DSC_1261.JPG.aa4c94d48655bb7f6f47c0d00b4eb1b7.JPG

I have also created a small (app 6") scenic addition, on the inside end of the layout.

Effectively showing more of the existing fields, but I think it has changed, and enhanced,

the character quite a lot.

Here is a pic taken, with the basic groundform, and first static grass, done. Unfortunatley

most of the cowpats have been lost in the fresh growth.  So watch your step.

DSC_1233.JPG.423d4c9cf9905ff90bdaf3e8fddcd0a1.JPG

Next time I'll try to bring some of the further developments.

Do we think Boris is being a bit free and easy with our lockdown modelling time?

Stay safe

TONY

• Like 9

A quick little bonus post.

A couple  of pics from the new little camera. It will take a bit of getting used to.

Most will need cropping, as theres no viewfinder, but since theres no focus

either, I won't be wasting time with that.

PHO00007.jpg.01543a7aa71b73eb57557d96c3ee7a0d.jpg

1748259895_PHO00006ed.jpg.86682e7b1c554b99e9f8ee975d74d3c2.jpg

So, not the best, but it does show theres potential for some more, and unusual, angles.

Even better the all up cost was < £10

More will appear, but perhaps when I've had time to play, and worked out how to

find them easily on the laptop.

More soon

TONY

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Off on another sidetrack this morning!

Regular readers will recall, back before Xmas, I popped my static grass

applicator. (Probably got wires wrong way round when trying to evaluate

whether 12v would be better than the 10v I'd built in).

I decided to rebuild the set up, and ordered 3 grades of mesh off e-bay.

I also had a useful chat with Steve at railwayscenics, which defined the

-ve ion generator I ordered. (The smaller one app £5).

I rebuilt retaining the 10v supply, but wired with a switched jack-plug. So

12v could be plugged in, disconnecting the 10v.

At the applicator end, I had been using a sugar shaker, fitted with a tea

strainer mesh.

I now have 2 containers, the larger a plastic table salt container, the smaller

a tablet tube app 15mm diameter. 

DSC_1265.JPG.e57d3b33feecc008d5f1ff1f7175866a.JPG

This gives me some choices of "settings"

The mesh options are 18 / 14 / 10 mesh (app 1mm  1.5mm 2mm)

DSC_1268.JPG.2e50511e1467a3087d28fbbbad5c49cf.JPG

The larger dispenser now has the +ve terminal in the form of a bolt suspended from

the rear end, and reaching to app 1cm behind the mesh. This means the mesh is not

charged, so no more inadvertent shocks. This works well with the 18 mesh for 2mm,

14 mesh sort of general purpose, and 10 mesh for 6mm +

The smaller shaker was difficult to use, at least initially. It was improved by reversing

the bolt so the +ve is now lust a bolt head plus washer set at the rear. It also seems

the coarsest (10 mesh) is the only option, as anything longer than 2mm seems to

compact and blind the mesh. However, it is useful for getting in to tight areas with

2mm.

As will be noted the 10v power is from a 1960s Matchbox transformer, so the

total cost including mesh and -ve ion generator is < £15

Anybody interested?  I wouldn't hesitate in pointing you in the direction of

Steve at Railwayscenics.

https://www.railwayscenics.com/negative-generator-with-single-lead-p-2535.html

Of course any questions feel free to come back to me.

All the best

TONY

ps  Theres little apparent advantage at 12v over 10v, and as an

alternative the 10v could probably be substituted by a 9v battery.

Edited by Mulgabill
add ps
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Thanks for the reactions to today's posts.

Yes John, that probably was a Woolies switch, but quite possibly cost

less than 1/- as it was my fathers originally.

It also cheers me up when I get a C/C rating, feels like I've got something

right. Thanks guys.

So here's a bonus - the view now across the extended fields.

DSC_1276.JPG.1d5a11a19fd27419ac3e0a3aa9699004.JPG

and a first glimpse at the 94XX in photographic grey.

DSC_1269.JPG.a88689c98af43f5cfb9a80f305706000.JPG

I do know the body is not seated properly, but it is a very close fit, so best

not to be done too often.

Was booked into the paint shop this afternoon, but not inspected, or potographed

yet. Will probably take a few days, so you'll have to put up with more in grey first.

A question, to check. Is it a patch of gloss varnish, to apply the transfer to.

Then finish with an overall dusting of matt, but is that before, or after the

powders?

And as a heads up, there has been a lot of undergrowth on the barren triangle.

That Ben Ashworth photo setting is getting much closer.

Keep smiling

TONY

• Like 8

DSC_1262.JPG.33f31f09e5f6c67780e159e3cd5b3e42.JPG

And the front view.

Also a glimpse of other happenings.

You will note somebody has stolen the station building. It is a work in progress

to upgrade the platform, but setting the ironware is a slow process.

DSC_1280.JPG.6b1be6447c4b2d932dddaebba2087c1d.JPG

The 2 moguls were non runners. The black one is still without the motor

bits, but does generally run ok, awaits a motorised tender. The green one does

now run, but with a pronounced sideways kick, every revolution. However it can

at least pull a train into position for a photo.

(If anybody has any spare mainline / backmann drivers you know where they

could be put to use).

Cheers

TONY

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Thanks to Rob (MrWolf) for the heads up for some wheels on E=Bay.

I am now keeping an eye on them, but will not invest, at least not yet.

My rational is that there was always a plan A.

That is / was to fit a Dean goods tender drive, to the Mainline chassis. Then

to use that under either the GW green body, or the BR Black one.

Biggest drawback was the unmotorised chassis, did have a tendancy to bind,

and stop rolling. Whilst this has not been totally eradicated, it has been much

improved.

This is therefore still plan A.

The plan B which popped into my head whilst typing the previous post, was to

investigate whether  the kick on the green one could be sorted with a replacement

wheelset. BUT it's not entirely clear whether that's the entire problem. Hence

I'm a little reluctant to commit to more expense on these, at the moment. (I did

get the black one as a supposed solution to the green's problems)

Could get a bit like the old lady who swallowed a fly, I don't know why.....

TONY

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

Thanks to Rob (MrWolf) for the heads up for some wheels on E=Bay.

I am now keeping an eye on them, but will not invest, at least not yet.

My rational is that there was always a plan A.

That is / was to fit a Dean goods tender drive, to the Mainline chassis. Then

to use that under either the GW green body, or the BR Black one.

Biggest drawback was the unmotorised chassis, did have a tendancy to bind,

and stop rolling. Whilst this has not been totally eradicated, it has been much

improved.

This is therefore still plan A.

The plan B which popped into my head whilst typing the previous post, was to

investigate whether  the kick on the green one could be sorted with a replacement

wheelset. BUT it's not entirely clear whether that's the entire problem. Hence

I'm a little reluctant to commit to more expense on these, at the moment. (I did

get the black one as a supposed solution to the green's problems)

Could get a bit like the old lady who swallowed a fly, I don't know why.....

TONY

The most likely cause is split muffs (ooer missus...). Peter's Spares now have replacements - ref PS117 (usual disclaimer).

• Informative/Useful 3

Just jumped in on Chris' Tetbury, and realised I'd completely forgotten

to update here.

Well yesterday time was spent, and quite a lot of it, setting in the

ironwork around the station. Now needs touching up (!)

Also reassembled the Gent's screen, twice, 'cos it sagged

whilst drying.

DSC_1271.JPG.feea5edfbb341df0fb3a2dc7fce8b192.JPG

Another pic in grey, the other end. That should be the last.

Can I just check - have I got the steps right re decal application, in my

previous post?

The mogul's appearance prompted some responses, which is encouraging.

Thanks John for the Peters link, that might be the banker option, in the

long run. So here's another pic of it departing Helstonish. (Or is it? Who

can tell, with no building?)

DSC_1279.JPG.d9521fe2a4f39f53e8564ba5493c3c3a.JPG

Meanwhile I've been progressing the drawings for a terrace of cottages, for a new area

of the layout. At 4mm they work out at  580mm long. Quite a size, even in low relief. I

am toying with building them at 90% as they are away from the trackwork, but I'm

not sure. Any thoughts?

I'm also partway through a building a spreadsheet, of loco allocations. Based on

a mix of sheds in the areas nearest to my leanings. So Bristol (x3), Gloucester,

Penzance, Truro, St Blazey, Bath GP, Swindon. A bit time consuming, but it would

be nice to then find suitable numberplates for the fleet. Of course some won't

need the spreadsheet e.g. 9680 (The last loco based in Bristol which I saw on

it's own. Tidying up after Barrow Rd closed). Which doesn't need a plate 'cos

it carried a piece of cardboard, tied on with sisal (string) with no in black paint.

All the best

TONY

• Like 6