A Cartoon of Helston(ish)

Mulgabill

898310313_DSC_1286(2).JPG.3a1c1d0481f2b429dc61911fadd2ed96.JPG497635895_DSC_1286(2).JPG.93b4dec3498afba045a5edd3e7a8071a.JPG

45690 Leander passes Norton Fitzwarren 12 Sept 2021, having taken over a Slough - Par

excursion. The loco had previously been stabled, and serviced, at Bishops Lydeard (WSR).

(More available, by request).

That was the softener, to make up for not having got around to some updates. (Or much

actual modelling, come to that).

But there has been a little, although this is still work in progress.

First an old Triang crane, from E-Bay, sprayed and weathered, but not yet varnished. I was

modifying a flat wgon as a match truck, but came across the one in the pic for £4 in an

antique centre!

2136726787_DSC_1458(2).JPG.034e9579a6831f0b3bc511ce97368a3b.JPG

(Correct Picture not found)

The new yard crane in the process of installation, and partly weathered.

These all need a waft with Halfords Matt Laquer. (Unless you know different).

And Gwillam Prouse chanced upon this recently, an unusual visitor to Helstonish.

1735884321_DSC_1462(2).JPG.903cd49db341885d7236d337966f8935.JPG

More pics from West Somerset may follow, as I'm currently toping up on inspiration.

All the best

TONY

p.s. Isn't it good we can crop pictures before postingDSC_1462.JPG.b62a4879fdd5b8fdfa1cc114a67aaad2.JPG

(Correct Picture not found)(Correct Picture not found)

DSC_1459 (2).JPG

DSC_1462.JPG

DSC_1462 (2).JPG

DSC_1459.JPG

Edited by Mulgabill
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

(More available, by request).

Yes please.

6 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

p.s. Isn't it good we can crop pictures before posting

Yes!  I’m thinking of reporting you to the SPCS (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Signals.)

:-)

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

On 15/09/2021 at 21:05, 5BarVT said:

Yes please.

Yes!  I’m thinking of reporting you to the SPCS (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Signals.)

🙂

Paul.

BUT I was trying to protect your sensitivities, by cropping the post out of

the pic.

The "True Story" is that some while ago I posted a pic, including the post in situ.

Then realised that from that angle, the post wasn't upright. I tried to straighten it

........... and the inevitable happened........ SNAP!

By the time it was repaired, I had remembered that I am still meant to be adding

a "shunt ahead" signal (Is that the correct term?). So the signal was laid there, as

a reminder. Obviously the reminder didn't work, 'cos Gwillam  didn't see it when

he took the pic.

Leander, again at Norton Fitzwarren 12/9/21

984781936_DSC_1289(3).JPG.2854e9e66c3f15ddaf826dff5dbba152.JPG

7822 Foxcote Manor waiting to enter Bishops Lydeard 12/9/21

1510618673_DSC_1280(4).JPG.f5b5df94782e36ca1007d0b9c2cd4015.JPGDSC_1298.JPG.436f1bc844f7d019c705d262ae130ff7.JPG

9351 Makes a spirited exit from BL with a later departue 12/9/21

I'll share some of my Birthday pics inc Royal Scot, later.

TONY

Edited by Mulgabill
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Mulgabill said:

The "True Story" is that some while ago I posted a pic, including the post in situ.

Then realised that from that angle, the post wasn't upright. I tried to straighten it

........... and the inevitable happened........ SNAP!

By the time it was repaired, I had remembered that I am still meant to be adding

a "shunt ahead" signal (Is that the correct term?). So the signal was laid there, as

a reminder. Obviously the reminder didn't work, 'cos Gwillam  didn't see it when

he took the pic.

TONY

Yes 'Shunt Ahead' signal (technically a 'Shunt Ahead' subsidiary signal) is the correct term.  So you therefore win this week's 'Signalling Terminology Usage' prize for getting right something which far too many folk get completely wrong far too frequently.  (Provided it is sited beneath the correct running signal of course - which is also something people often get wrong.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Yes 'Shunt Ahead' signal (technically a 'Shunt Ahead' subsidiary signal) is the correct term.  So you therefore win this week's 'Signalling Terminology Usage' prize for getting right something which far too many folk get completely wrong far too frequently.  (Provided it is sited beneath the correct running signal of course - which is also something people often get wrong.)

Tony

I have been wondering about the shunt signal that sat below the home as well. I am wondering if I could butcher a Dapol double home into a home plus shunt but it would mean taking the arm off and moving the gubbins onto the main post! I am sure the Stationmaster would frown if the sunt was left on a bracket sticking out and not on the pole itself!

Andy

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andy Keane said:

Tony

I have been wondering about the shunt signal that sat below the home as well. I am wondering if I could butcher a Dapol double home into a home plus shunt but it would mean taking the arm off and moving the gubbins onto the main post! I am sure the Stationmaster would frown if the sunt was left on a bracket sticking out and not on the pole itself!

Andy

I'm a bit confused here Andy.  There was no 'shunt signal' below the Home Signal and as the diagram shows the Home Signal was in fact a splitting sifgnal with No.2 arm reading to the platform and No. 0 arm (a 3 foot arm) reading to the loop/sidings.  So 'all' you need to is take a left hand bracket from Dapol - if that is your chosen starting point - and convert the arm on the doll bracketed out to the left into a 3ft arm.  it's not quite as simple as it sounds because the arm would not be easy to either reduce in size or replace with a suitable etched but it could readily be reduced in length and probably slightly reduced in depth without the removal of material on its top & bottom edges looking too bad.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, The Stationmaster said:

I'm a bit confused here Andy.  There was no 'shunt signal' below the Home Signal and as the diagram shows the Home Signal was in fact a splitting sifgnal with No.2 arm reading to the platform and No. 0 arm (a 3 foot arm) reading to the loop/sidings.  So 'all' you need to is take a left hand bracket from Dapol - if that is your chosen starting point - and convert the arm on the doll bracketed out to the left into a 3ft arm.  it's not quite as simple as it sounds because the arm would not be easy to either reduce in size or replace with a suitable etched but it could readily be reduced in length and probably slightly reduced in depth without the removal of material on its top & bottom edges looking too bad.

Mike

just the station side of the bridge was a tall pole with a red home signal above an S shunt signal. later the shunt became white with a border. The twin arm Dapols have the ahead on the pole and the second on a bracket as I guess they assume a point - there where two of that pattern as well, one by the point to the loco shed and one on the far side of the bridge for stuff coming in. See http://www.helstonhistory.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/helstonrailway1965i.jpg

regards

Andy

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Andy Keane said:

Mike

just the station side of the bridge was a tall pole with a red home signal above an S shunt signal. later the shunt became white with a border. The twin arm Dapols have the ahead on the pole and the second on a bracket as I guess they assume a point - there where two of that pattern as well, one by the point to the loco shed and one on the far side of the bridge for stuff coming in. See http://www.helstonhistory.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/helstonrailway1965i.jpg

regards

Andy

Ah 12/13 - I was thrown when you mentioned 'home signal'. it actually being the Advanced Starting Signal with a Shunt ahead subsidiary.  The generic term is 'stop signal', a home signal is a stop signal carrying out a specific function.

I reckon the best starting point for 12/13 would be the Ration Item 462 which is a stop signal with a lower arm distant and from something in a recent ad it looks as if the Ratio 'stick & string' operating method can be converted to power operation using various Peco components.  Although the arm spacing isn't correct for a subsidiary the simple change would  be to use an etched Shunt Ahead arm to replace the distant arm.

Finding a subsidiary arm for a stop signal on a separate doll on a bracket structure isn't technically correct as the arm should be subsidiary as its name implies - not so much a problem in daylight but potentially confusing at night when looking at the signal lights.  However I do know of one example where such an arrangement existed - probably for sighting reasons? - and coincidentally it was in Cornwall at Liskeard  - the Up Main. Starting Signal orignally like that when it was a timber bracket structure but reproduced in the same form when the signal was renewed in tubular steel.  There might possibly have been others on the Western but I never saw one (which obviously doesn't mean that there wasn't one somewhere) but the Liskeard one is the only one I have ever seen in photos - hence my knowing that it was in a similar form before it was renewed in tubular steel (in which state I saw and photographed it).

https://peco-uk.com/collections/oo-signals/products/gwr-home-and-distant-signal

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Ah 12/13 - I was thrown when you mentioned 'home signal'. it actually being the Advanced Starting Signal with a Shunt ahead subsidiary.  The generic term is 'stop signal', a home signal is a stop signal carrying out a specific function.

I reckon the best starting point for 12/13 would be the Ration Item 462 which is a stop signal with a lower arm distant and from something in a recent ad it looks as if the Ratio 'stick & string' operating method can be converted to power operation using various Peco components.  Although the arm spacing isn't correct for a subsidiary the simple change would  be to use an etched Shunt Ahead arm to replace the distant arm.

Finding a subsidiary arm for a stop signal on a separate doll on a bracket structure isn't technically correct as the arm should be subsidiary as its name implies - not so much a problem in daylight but potentially confusing at night when looking at the signal lights.  However I do know of one example where such an arrangement existed - probably for sighting reasons? - and coincidentally it was in Cornwall at Liskeard  - the Up Main. Starting Signal orignally like that when it was a timber bracket structure but reproduced in the same form when the signal was renewed in tubular steel.  There might possibly have been others on the Western but I never saw one (which obviously doesn't mean that there wasn't one somewhere) but the Liskeard one is the only one I have ever seen in photos - hence my knowing that it was in a similar form before it was renewed in tubular steel (in which state I saw and photographed it).

https://peco-uk.com/collections/oo-signals/products/gwr-home-and-distant-signal

Easy to do if you don't mind the two arms being a bit too far apart as Mike says.

1072189475_20201103001PM52and48signalsOn.JPG.6e7061f3e4d70877342169a1e87c6724.JPG

In this case, the subsidiary arm is a "calling-on" arm rather than a "shunt ahead" but it shows the principle. It's a Peco/Ratio 462 with Scalelink etched arms and a bit of kitbashing thrown in.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Easy to do if you don't mind the two arms being a bit too far apart as Mike says.

1072189475_20201103001PM52and48signalsOn.JPG.6e7061f3e4d70877342169a1e87c6724.JPG

In this case, the subsidiary arm is a "calling-on" arm rather than a "shunt ahead" but it shows the principle. It's a Peco/Ratio 462 with Scalelink etched arms and a bit of kitbashing thrown in.

I like this a lot, though I plan the earlier shunt signal with the large white S. In your signal do the lamps work as well - one thing I like about the Dapol signals are the tiny LED signal lamps.

Andy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andy Keane said:

I like this a lot, though I plan the earlier shunt signal with the large white S. In your signal do the lamps work as well - one thing I like about the Dapol signals are the tiny LED signal lamps.

Andy

No, the lamps are dummies.

• RMweb Gold

The matter of illuminated signal lamps in 4mm scale signals poses an interesting question.  if you were looking. at the real thing at the angle from which we observe most of our layouts would you be able to see the light from the signal lamp?   If the lamp is correctly focused and has the right size flame it should be visible from the footplate of an approaching loco within a relatively limited angle of view.

Illuminated signals do look nice but inevitably they have to be over-illuminated in order to be seen - unless the layout is virtually at eye level where the could be seen as they should.  And don't forget that even a properly trimmed lamp correctly set did not give a very bright light

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

The matter of illuminated signal lamps in 4mm scale signals poses an interesting question.  if you were looking. at the real thing at the angle from which we observe most of our layouts would you be able to see the light from the signal lamp?   If the lamp is correctly focused and has the right size flame it should be visible from the footplate of an approaching loco within a relatively limited angle of view.

Illuminated signals do look nice but inevitably they have to be over-illuminated in order to be seen - unless the layout is virtually at eye level where the could be seen as they should.  And don't forget that even a properly trimmed lamp correctly set did not give a very bright light

Even though my Mid-Cornwall Lines sequence runs from midnight to midnight, the railway room (when in use) is always brightly lit by 12 daylight fluorescent tubes and there is no risk of fog or falling snow. There is, therefore, no point having anything at all illuminated on the layout, least of all signal oil lamps.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies for the absence,  did have a few pics to share, when we went away to the caravan. But I got distracted with the WSR trains, and you guys were enjoying some great discussions re signals.

But now I have news of a job, 55 years in the making, which has been ticked off!

First I will tell you a story:

On October 3rd 1966, a group of about a dozen from my school Railway Society, ventured down the main line,

From Bristol TM. Alighting at Yatton, for the Clevedon branch, which was on it's final day. We duly rode up and down the branch, sounding the horn, frequently. And generally have far too good a time, considering.

During a brief respite from riding, a few of us had a mooch around.

At this point I should say I would have been just starting my 2nd year, so just 13.

My small group came upon a GWR Do Not Trespass sign, just about hanging onto its post, and located where

a footpath leading to a cricket pitch, crossed the line. A 6th former, who was with us, and who's name I fortunately do not recall, encouraged the sign to obey the laws of gravity, and rest in a blackberry bush. He

did however realise that he might have some difficulty carrying it home on the train. A point confirmed, when

he hypothetically posed the question to the guard. The guards response was that he couldn't ignore it, but

it was open season from the next day.

Cue a potential race to recover said sign.

Well that was won by me, with some help.

And now

DSC_1614.JPG.98d5d0387ec0a3eec6b1d08d6e915f9b.JPG

After a period in incorrect Chocolate on Cream, and a number dark and dusty corners, it is finally restored, and mounted, about 1 week short of the 55th anniversary

DSC_1615.JPG.16627bca8b2e578de0bb748b83c0afc6.JPG

Next task - to try and produce some 4mm scale prints.

Who's going to open the book on how long that will take?

In other news, I'm planning to go back to the club tomorrow. I wonder how that's going to feel?

All the best

TONY

Edited by Mulgabill
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 4

Can't beat a bit of "liberating" items that would otherwise have been scrapped. I remember being about twelve and people thinking that I was mental for scrounging up old enamel garage related signs.

I'm glad I did, now that "serious collectors" (Bread heads) have jumped on every oddball bandwagon, I can no longer afford them.

Great bit of renovation and good on yer for keeping it all those years.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 01/11/2021 at 15:06, Andy Keane said:

Tony

I have been discussing coal drops with people. Do you have a coal drop off your siding down towards the carraige shed end. It seems the did unload coal down the embankment there and I wondered if you had modelled that?

Andy

Andy, I'm sorry I somehow missed your post.

The short answer is .... no. The explanation being that I didn't come across

any pics to work from. As my headshunt is somewhat shortened, I opted

to leave this out. Feeling it would detract from what impression of length

I could create.

All the  best

TONY

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1439396183_DSC_0889(2)Xmas2021-2.jpg.559ef5d0bc26a5d2a9cfc30a863f097b.jpg

Well 2021 seems to have rather drifted into being a bit of a damp squib, modelling wise. Lots of time spent

fiddling about, with little real outcome. But there has always been RM web. Just got to work out whether it keeps me motivated, or is a distraction.

On the plus side I seem to have sorted the loop headshunt dead-spot; and most of the stock / locos do 

run around all the layout without trying to escape. Plus 2 more grandsons are keen to "Play Trains" at

every opportunity, and they want me to "help" build them a layout. (They are studying my books of GW

Station trackplans, for inspiration). So it does look like 2022 will be busier.

So whilst in reflective mood, we'll wish you all, all the best for the festive period, and lets all look forward

to a better next year.

TONY and CHRIS (Mrs MulgaBill).

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

I could create.

All the  best

TONY

Thanks, I will keep looking for a photo. I think that coal for the gas works may have been offloaded over the retaining wall into a lay-by in the approach road to the goods yard. I have the article that suggests this happened and It would have made it easier to do and I also have a picture of wagons down there but I have no details beyond that. I plan a visit to the Helston museum to see what they hold next year sometime if it’s possible. I also plan a trip to the Kew records office to see what they hold on Helston.

Happy Christmas 

Andy

• Informative/Useful 1

• 5 weeks later...

512938285_DSC_1745(2).JPG.44d29dcea59add3903a67212957b3c33.JPG

WSR Mogul 9351 heads away from Blue Anchor, Light Engine, Minehead - Williton 4 Jan 2022

This working left the WSR with 1 steam loco available, as the line was again about to be cut, again,

for track renewal between Dunster and Minehead. Also it left me available for last weeks eye op!

All seems to have gone ok, but it's an experience I am in no hurry to repeat. Currently there seems

a little improvement each day, but not without a price. I have managed to walk into the wardrobe a

couple of times, and have a cut on the forehead to prove it. It also required either sitting at a table,

and laying forward, face down, or face down on a bed, for 2 x 3hr sessions a day. To manipulste

the gas pressure! And with only one eye working, no driving.

Modelling would be nice, but there's no time, it's like being back in full time work, and no pay.

However there have been some "arrivals" so, thanks in no small part to Robins Sweets' prompt

hereabouts, this arrived just before Christmas. Must be on loan from Swindon.

DSC_1501.JPG.298e3e96ced5b60859507f7571a50a18.JPG

DSC_1502.JPG.c80731ea8d98177c1cf69b04a48a49ae.JPG

And another parcel arrived from my new friends at Kernow, yesterday. Pics to follow shortly,

I hope.

TONY

1328370507_DSC_1745(4).JPG.65691672361958734a326e3c4fba0b7d.JPG

Edited by Mulgabill
  • Friendly/supportive 6

On 23/01/2022 at 21:00, gwrrob said:

Don’t blame me for your 16xx purchase but I’m interested in your thoughts on the model Tony.

Good to hear from you, Robin.

I do have a few thoughts, but will give a more considered answer, tomorrow.

Does  look nice on the Porthleven goods.

272475213_DSC_1481(3).JPG.097146afd8c60ce54f0ec91cf47f6f8f.JPG

However, I do have to question the sense of asking a one eyed bloke, who sees

things as a cartoon, at the best of times.

TONY

Edited by Mulgabill
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 24/12/2021 at 11:33, Mulgabill said:

I could create.

All the  best

TONY

Not to worry. I will continue to investigate. It will be some months before I need to make any decisions down that end. I will post if I find anything more.

Andy

(Ps hope you are recovering speedily)

• Thanks 1

1735812319_DSC_1484(2).JPG.5bf8236a039ff7adf7de51bf19c0b3d1.JPG

Well the verdict on the Model Rail 16XX, with lot's of caveats.

ie this is just my impression, and I have no pretense to really knowing what I'm looking for,

and, at the moment whether I could see  it, if I did.

I like it's running qualities, both in terms of speed, and control, but also it's ability to stay on

all of my trackwork.  The details are generally nicely done, and I particularly  the reverser rods.

Dislikes - the join across the bunker, which everybody was moaning about, but I can live with.

especially once I have painted, and fitted the fire irons etc. A bigger disappointment for me is the cabfront windows, which catch and reflect the light, shouting plastic. Not sure of the answer to that.

Overall however I am very happy with my first new purchase since probably the Lima 94xx when it was first intoduced.

Now I need to work out how to put together a new branch set, how do I get the RH / LH comps the right way round  ?????

TONY

Edited by Mulgabill

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Mulgabill said:

925550949_DSC_1484(2).JPG.9b073bd3efd00fbcbd88045f6b56e078.JPG

Well the verdict on the Model Rail 16XX, with lot's of caveats.

ie this is just my impression, and I have no pretense to really knowing what I'm looking for,

and, at the moment whether I could see  it, if I did.

I like it's running qualities, both in terms of speed, and control, but also it's ability to stay on

all of my trackwork.  The details are generally nicely done, and I particularly  the reverser rods.

Dislikes - the join across the bunker, which everybody was moaning about, but I can live with.

especially once I have painted, and fitted the fire irons etc. A bigger disappointment for me is the cabfront windows, which catch and reflect the light, shouting plastic. Not sure of the answer to that.

Overall however I am very happy with my first new purchase since probably the Lima 94xx when it was first intoduced.

Now I need to work out how to put together a new branch set, how do I get the RH / LH comps the right way round  ?????

TONY

Maybe somebody will be brave enough to replace the cab windows with glue and glaze?