A Cartoon of Helston(ish)

Mulgabill

Continuing with the station build, the next step was to produce a suitable roof.

The pictures should show this reasonably clearly. But a couple of points which may not be obvious.

The roof was tiled with slate strips formed by scored porridge carton card strps, overlapped. The chimnets were stipwood inserted through precut slots in the roof bases, and the exposed lengths clad with scribed clay.

post-25234-0-57247600-1489080291.jpg

post-25234-0-89135200-1489080309.jpg

post-25234-0-24247900-1489080324.jpg

post-25234-0-48903000-1489080441.jpg

post-25234-0-50544400-1489080471.jpg

post-25234-0-67615400-1489080508.jpg

Next post should bring views of the near completed building.

• Like 6

As promised a few of the virtually complete building.

I envisage some toning down/ weathering to come, plus some station signage/adverts I ordered this week. Although I've not yet quite worked out how I'll actually fit them.

post-25234-0-82517400-1489317419.jpg

post-25234-0-04719100-1489317443.jpg

post-25234-0-24684100-1489317463.jpg

post-25234-0-83707500-1489317514.jpg

And approximately in situ on a visit to the layout -

post-25234-0-86789100-1489317555.jpg

Now need to get the platform paving sorted.

back soon I hope

• Like 12

Thanks to all for the flurry of likes now the main building is nearly completed.

As mentioned last time I have moved towards producing a platform

..... but

HELSTON (ish)  ........... WE HAVE A PROBLEM!

I started by making paving from my (free) favourite - porridge cartons.

I started applying to form the platform surfaces around the buildings position.

I was faced with a small problem that the paving strips had a slight bow towards either end, where it would overhang the

platform edge.

This was manageable with juditious trimming.

There was also a slight vertical bow in the polystyrene base. due, I think, to the card shrinking a little as it dried.

OK so I needed to balance the forces by sealing/bracing the lower face...

post-25234-0-01879600-1489416154.jpg

At first I thought the bend would be manageable with a bit of additional weight in the building. but the ends continued to bend more until completely dried out.

At the moment I am planning to complete the paving on this base, to see if that will pull it back straighter.

But I am very open to your suggestions as I need a proper solution sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

Hi

Sadly I don't have a solution but just want to say that it is a shame as the building looks superb....

My only thought is that it could be due to the glue......

I've always used Copydex & latterly Super 'Phatic when glueing unlike materials together & so far haven't had a problem.....

Not much use when you've already fixed the slabs & sadly got the warp.....

I'm sure you or someone else on here will come up with an answer in due course.....

Cheers Bill

Hi

Having thought about it I wonder if it would be possible to put a series of transverse cuts (front of platform to back ) in the polystyrene platform base...

Hopefully this would allow you to 'flatten' the platform....

You could then if add a new front to the platform if necessary......

The only other solution I can think of would be to fix a new polystyrene platform base firmly to the baseboard & try again with your slabs using maybe a different glue.....

Hoping you solve the problem soon....

Cheers Bill

Thanks Bill & Stu for the helpful comments.

Independantly I did exactly what Bill suggested, and if anything the polystyrene then wanten to bend the opposite way! However the problem was less pronounced, So I proceeded with "surfacing" the station roadway with exterior filler, mixed with PVA, whilst the polyS base was held flat on the kitchen table. Looking reasonably ok so far, but I'm leaving the weights in place until I'm sure its completely dried.

Keep your fingers crossed please.

Thanks again to those who replied before.

The station polystyrene base is now straightish. Not perfect but I think I'll persist with it.

Still have to trim a little from the platform overhang, and add edging stones to some parts. The "extension" pieces of the platform, i.e. the bits on the

other boards, have been made and surfaced. The platform huts can now sit properly in place, and I have started applying some platform fencing.

Although I have been distracted and started on about 15 terraced cottages, to add to 2 existing kit terraces, for the station approach. They'll fill a big gap behind the station headshunts. I'm concious that whilst Helstonish is going to Taunton as a work in progresss, I feel I need to at least show the direction its heading.

But I'm beginning to wonder whether I'm giving myself too much to do in too little time?

Its been quite a while since I've actually run anything, and there is still remedial point wiring to do.

Mind you its good to have to focus!

I'll try to be back with some photos soon, when I manage to put some buildings back in place.

Hi

I know the feeling well....

In my opinion it's best as you say to keep focused on a plan....

If you allow yourself to become distracted headless chicken mode tends to strike....

Or it does me anyway....

I would suggest you have some good running sessions as it's most frustrating to have running problems on the day....

If it runs well people will enjoy it anyway.....

As you say it's a work in progress so so long as it works you can have some fun operating & the spectators can enjoy your progress...

It's looking good so far....

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

Earlier in the week I thought I'd share some warts and all shots of a layout in progress.

Then I logged on and found that Andy Peters had not only beaten me to posting his version of apocalypse, but he then cleared it all up

before I'd got my pics downloaded. He might be taking his latest project more slowly, but he's still dammed quick.

Having considered I have decided to go ahead and share some views, that are even new for me!

1) The general mess of work in progress

post-25234-0-57335900-1490460136_thumb.jpg

2) The end of line boards, in their "travelling" position

post-25234-0-33802000-1490460199_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-58334300-1490460262_thumb.jpg

3) A more general view.

post-25234-0-90237600-1490460341_thumb.jpg

These boards were taken out to (hopefully) sort the wiring of the replaced point motor. And I will be trying to progress the scenic shelf

on the rear side whilst I'm at it.

Will try to come back with some other unusual views soon.

• Like 7

As promised some more new views. Admitedly work in progress, but these show the views from the side which is normally against the wall. It was my original intent that the layout should be viewable/operable from either side.

1) The coal staithes from the rear. I know the corrugated sheets are strictly overscale, but they were "free" and this is a cartoon!

post-25234-0-90931100-1490525072_thumb.jpg

2) The end of the line, minus the station masters house, 'cos I couldn't reach it to put back in place.

post-25234-0-93791500-1490525152_thumb.jpg

3) One for Stubby - the replaced point, duly "trimmed" I've just got to work out how I get to the rest of the pointwork to

circumcise their tie-bars!

post-25234-0-74464600-1490524889_thumb.jpg

4) The first stages of creating the scenery on the new shelf behind the layout. This should become a view from behind terraces of 22 low reief houses.

post-25234-0-84042400-1490524954_thumb.jpg

I'm now back to adding signage to the station building, although I've not yet worked out how to suspend some from the canopy roof.

Suggestions would be most welcome.

(n.b. edited to get pics in correct order - sorry if you've been confused).

Edited by Mulgabill
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Looking really good, and a lot further on than mine.

As for suspending signs - a length of fishing line looped around the sides & bottom of the sign, with loops at each end for hooking on to something under the canopy ?

One way and another its been a topsy turvey week, so disjointed I really didn't know what day it was. Had an extra day off for a hospital visit Monday, but that felt like it was Wednesday (my normal day off), followed by about 3 Thursdays!

However whilst all was intereupted I have been progressing (slowly) on 3 fronts so here a few picks of the work in progress.

1) The station building is pretty much complete, just a little painting required on the outside station nameboard frame.

post-25234-0-35761500-1491045220_thumb.jpg

Pic at end of post should be here!

The state of the platform unit can be seen. I need to trim & finish platform edges, fix fencing, fit new Gents screen, and start on platform

fittings etc.

2) Scenic shelf boards - have progressed. The black line in the photo shows the fron edge line for the forthcoming houses.

post-25234-0-83270300-1491045547_thumb.jpg

2nd pic at end should be here

3) Housing - most evenings have been spent applying stonework. All housefronts are now done. Mrs MB has painted windowframes, and sash bars to match doors which were leftovers from a scalescenes kit.

The pics show the whole road laid out in order. I now have to decide whether to colour the staone first, or build the shells first.

post-25234-0-53746300-1491045892_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-89404600-1491045962_thumb.jpg

Will be trying to get these jobs more or less complete this week. Its only 4 weeks to the SWAG trip, and I still have to get the boards to pack for transit, decide and pack some stock. Oh I'll also have to run the layout, its been covered in junk for weeks, and I've not yet tested the replaced point, which also needs ballasting. (No wonder I've not been sailing since before christmas - thats unheard of!)

TONY

post-25234-0-92416600-1491045292_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-38815400-1491045626_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mulgabill
  • Like 8

OK so this is me prevaricating!

Rather than either tiling many roofs, or finishing the stone-work on the exposed endwalls and chimneys, I'm sat here writing this.

This week has seen some more progress on the houses, some (poor)pics in a moment.

I decided to connect the replaced point and test it. Only to find that the point works fine, and the peco motor works fine. They just dont want to work together. I thought that perhaps the limited slot in the baseboard was twisting the assembly, so trimmed the baseboard - to no avail. I then found that even removed the pair would change.

Therefore it looks like the layout will have to appear at Taunton with an unballasted, manually operated point, as there are too many other things to try to get sorted before then.

The board has now been re-fitted in place, but is not yet electrically connected. (I did have to trim the new scenery as it made the board too big to fit the room). This means there will be no more views of the housing development, in place, ahead of the SWAG event.

So to the progress on said development. The houses have had a slight re-arrangement once they were in 3D.

At this stage I took a few pics to give an impression of progress on a view that will only be possible whent re-erected at Taunton.

However I was fiddling with the camera settings at the same time and consequently they are not the best I've taken.

post-25234-0-87993600-1491679261_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-74188100-1491679345_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-02692500-1491679418_thumb.jpg

This last view should hopefully give nice view up the approach road, towards an arrival at the station.

I have then added roofs (plain), and stripwood chimneys. And started on tiling one block.

I have to admit to verging on panic ahead of the layouts outing, but intend to visit Trainwest at Corsham tomorrow, hopefully to be inspired and not further frightened. Hopefully we can pick up some scenic supplies so we can finish and plant some trees.

I would also be interested in whether any of you who read this waffle will be there, or at Taunton.

All the best

TONY

• RMweb Gold

Tony,

Pop along to see Ray & Richard on Hounslow Sidings, they are both hoping to be at Taunton.

We were there today, operating on Black Country Blues. It's an excellent show, well worth the visit.

Stu

Helstonish has this morning been dismantled. A little early I know as SWAG is still 2 weeks away, but its never been packed up before.

This has been managed with just a little "stress" to one lamp post, which should be repairable. Pictures below show some more new views, and proves that my theoretical transportation method should work. Mind you it isn't going to be as easy to fit in the campervan as I had expected.

post-25234-0-72794100-1492348392_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-12528100-1492348496_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-48958000-1492348662_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-68240600-1492348879_thumb.jpg

The layout will not return to its normal set up now, but some work will be done downstairs, including an errection run through, in the next 2 weeks. Having extracted it from the railway room, I have found the source of the problem aligning the platform road track levels. That is the 9mm baseboard top has lifted from the frame in one corner. It should be possible to re-glue, and add screws, with care, to strengthen that corner. The brackets for the final 2 shelves will also be added.

Hopefully some further progress on the approach road cottages, will also be made.

Thats enough prevarication, I'd best get back to it!

TONY

p.s. Does anyone know why the pics are laid on their sides, They appear upright in Irfanview when I load them.

Edited by Mulgabill
  • Like 2

A quick update on progress, although it feels its been mostly backwards.

On Monday I set the layout up again, in the kitchen. Having "sorted" the lifted baseboard the rails were now level across the board joins (hurrah).

But inexplicably the 1st board joint was out of line laterally by about 2-3mm (boo). I'm totally bemused how this could be as it used the same holes and same bolts.

I've used the "bodgit" method to resolve the issue - I drilled 2 new holes and put bolts through them.

Wednesday was a new day, and a day off when Mrs MB was working in the morning.

A chance to add hand held controllers to the section switch box, but I soon realised I had miscalculated and needed 4 terminal connections. Not the 3 in the neat jack plug connectors I had bought.OK so I worked out that I could wire them into the gubbins that sits behind the Duette that provides the power. But to make a reasonably presentable job I would need a larger base. A piece of chipboard from a 60s/70s base board provided the solution. However it took until about 10 minutes before swmbo would return, to complete the wiring. (I did manage to clear up just in time to avoid retribution). Having had luch I thought I'd best test the set up. NOTHING, dead caput! Reference to the net allowed me to check my wiring (including relco units), and I had transposed 2 wires, one on each side. Great, that worked - intermittently. In the end I resolved this by replacing my newly made leads, with some I found stuffed behind the layout, which I must have discarded when this saga all started.

Now I realise that the floorplan has us down to work in a straight mode, whereas its only ever been L or U - shaped so far. So I'll have to check out the alignment and electics on the 2nd track of the bridgeing section. It also implies showing / operating the layout from the side which is normally tight against the wall at home.

Thats because the small fiddle yard would otherwise be next to the doorway. Which is vulnerable. And what I anticipate to be one of the best views of the layout would be lost, with the other end against the hall wall.

There has been some good news, I've been making steady progress with tiling the cottages, and Mrs MB has inserted curtains. Just not sure how much more we can get done before the big day. And my brother has declared himself available to come and help, but that might mean some blue period diesels invading at some point.

Just hoping I can shake off my cold so I can get some of the above dealt with over the weekend.

All the best

TONY

p.s. sorry no pics been too busy to get everything set up, and most of the stock has been packed. Although locos are yet to be allocated, if I'm lucky the airfix 14xx

I won on e-bay, this week, will work and be available. (It was bought as a source of wheels to get one of my other 2 working sometime).

• Like 1