A Cartoon of Helston(ish)

Mulgabill

A small prarie comes to a halt with the branch passenger train. \shows 2 items for attention damaged seat and missing light!

post-25234-0-83678200-1493805980_thumb.jpg

An interloper (Ivatt 2mt) waits departure with a freight

post-25234-0-79353600-1493806257_thumb.jpg

Interesting that a few people asked how the card system was going. Considering we'd not really tried it seriously before, Bob found it made the operation more interesting, and it worked well.

One of the errant panniers spent the day on shed, I'll have to see whether the fitters attention has cheered it up, when I eventually retrieve it from the van.

post-25234-0-67299900-1493806290_thumb.jpg

A 4575 prairie gets cleared from the headshunt. I think Bob must have gone in search of cake, we didn't see a pic of what it arrived on.

post-25234-0-49386600-1493806439_thumb.jpg

The prarie is now on the goods, and it looks like a Hymek has turned up on a special parcels working.

post-25234-0-78165900-1493806477_thumb.jpg

Another starnger on the branch train, seems like we picked a good day to look in.

post-25234-0-81056200-1493806533_thumb.jpg

A peek across the station masters garden, to see whats been left against the buffers

post-25234-0-05769100-1493806577_thumb.jpg

Into the early diesel period, a few fairly typical branch scenes

post-25234-0-32138300-1493806842_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-84862700-1493806940_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-04602200-1493807034_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-50812000-1493807091_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-04602200-1493807034_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-54233700-1493807128_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-50812000-1493807091_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-54233700-1493807128_thumb.jpg

Thanks DonW for the comment re backscene. It will appear one day, but is currently victim of a number of factors. As the layout was concieved as a home layout, which should be in the main transportable, to some extent its already outgrown its brief. The backscene was not really considered at the outset. Indeed had it been it would have conflicted with the scenery shelves which allowed the layout to become more scenic. Now those extensions demand a lightweight solution to the backscene. In turn it will still have to wait until the extra shelf, which I've made this am, is in place behind the engine shed. And the terraced cottages need more work yet.

I should also hold my hands up and say that the station roof shows up in the pics, it was built to be removable, and clearly wasn't seated properly on Sunday. Still nobody noticed, or they were too polite to say.

Please keep the feedback coming, I'll be back soon with yet more records of the day.

TONY

• Like 8

The layout was finally fully re-assembled today. Its taken a while, partly because I addressed a few issues as it went together.

That is the final scenic shelf was fitted. The errant motorised point (at the back of the goods shed) was sorted, by re-wiring with a separate feed (simples!).

Having shoehorned all the boards into place, one section was found not to be working. The problem was eventually traced to an underboard wire having come loose from the connector block. A frustrating, tricky job, which would have been easy if I'd known before the board had been put back in place. Some of the main station throat point controls were also fiddled with, and do seem to be working better now.

At this point I'll share the last batch of pics from Taunton last week. These span green - blue diesel period.

post-25234-0-71598900-1494099962_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-14007700-1494100028_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-60062100-1494100067_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-03934000-1494100106_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-24513500-1494100208_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-80327300-1494100256_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-69814600-1494100316_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-40435700-1494100365_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-31240900-1494100424_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-74002600-1494100511_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-20290400-1494100611_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-39464700-1494100673_thumb.jpg

Those wrap up what, as I've probably said, was a most enjoyable experince. At which point I should thank a few people on here, who were crucial in their help and encouragement which got me to stick my head out and attend.

Stu (Stubby47) for the invite, and encouragement to have a go. John (St Enodoc) for sending me the plans which enabled the building of the station & engine shed. Robin (ANTB) for the initial inspiration to get hooked onto RM Web, and Andy Peters, for showing that if I really tried, I just might be able to produce something.

I hope, from what you've seen from last week, you'll think I'm half way there.

Now I need to improve on this base. To which end today I've chopped some scenery back, on the corner board which hasn't been grassed yet. To allow a small level crossing and lane down to a (yet to be made) mill. (I've got a prototype in mind). I have also started on my attempt at some cornish hedge today. I hope to be able to share progress in a couple of days.

As a digression I've also been looking for photos for my Cameo(??) layout idea, mind you it will need 2 x 8' fiddle yards to work it properly! (So its not a sleepy branchline location). I may at some point try a mock up, before doing any serious modelling.

Please feel free to post any suggestions for the further development of Helstonish, and I'll be back with progress in a few days

TONY

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

The layout was finally fully re-assembled today. Its taken a while, partly because I addressed a few issues as it went together.

That is the final scenic shelf was fitted. The errant motorised point (at the back of the goods shed) was sorted, by re-wiring with a separate feed (simples!).

Having shoehorned all the boards into place, one section was found not to be working. The problem was eventually traced to an underboard wire having come loose from the connector block. A frustrating, tricky job, which would have been easy if I'd known before the board had been put back in place. Some of the main station throat point controls were also fiddled with, and do seem to be working better now.

At this point I'll share the last batch of pics from Taunton last week. These span green - blue diesel period.

attachicon.gifIMG_2201.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2203.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2205.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2206.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2207.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2209.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2210.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2211.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2214.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2216.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2217.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2218.JPG

Those wrap up what, as I've probably said, was a most enjoyable experince. At which point I should thank a few people on here, who were crucial in their help and encouragement which got me to stick my head out and attend.

Stu (Stubby47) for the invite, and encouragement to have a go. John (St Enodoc) for sending me the plans which enabled the building of the station & engine shed. Robin (ANTB) for the initial inspiration to get hooked onto RM Web, and Andy Peters, for showing that if I really tried, I just might be able to produce something.

I hope, from what you've seen from last week, you'll think I'm half way there.

Now I need to improve on this base. To which end today I've chopped some scenery back, on the corner board which hasn't been grassed yet. To allow a small level crossing and lane down to a (yet to be made) mill. (I've got a prototype in mind). I have also started on my attempt at some cornish hedge today. I hope to be able to share progress in a couple of days.

As a digression I've also been looking for photos for my Cameo(??) layout idea, mind you it will need 2 x 8' fiddle yards to work it properly! (So its not a sleepy branchline location). I may at some point try a mock up, before doing any serious modelling.

Please feel free to post any suggestions for the further development of Helstonish, and I'll be back with progress in a few days

TONY

Very nice Tony. Given the severe frothing that's going on in another place, dare I ask about the provenance of the Warship?

Andy and John, thanks for your comments.

I can't be much help with the warship I'm afraid.  About 10 years ago a local auction house sold off an estate which included a lot of model railway stuff. So much infact they had to spread it over 2 sales, so about 200 lots. I got 4 or 5 one of which included the warship, and the 3 class 22s.

I thought the Warship was probably a Q Kits body, its on a Lima chasis. However somebody at last weeks show felt the definition of the grills etc was better than the Q Kits were. But I dont know any more.

The 3 22s I found interesting, they are Hornby (China). I've never seen any reference to Hornby 22s (only 29s) so consider myself fortunate, as anything else would be beyond my budget I suspect.

Incidentally most of the 4 wheel wagons in the photos also came from 1 lot of 50+ wagons, plus a kitbuilt 0-6-2.

TONY

• RMweb Premium

Andy and John, thanks for your comments.

I can't be much help with the warship I'm afraid.  About 10 years ago a local auction house sold off an estate which included a lot of model railway stuff. So much infact they had to spread it over 2 sales, so about 200 lots. I got 4 or 5 one of which included the warship, and the 3 class 22s.

I thought the Warship was probably a Q Kits body, its on a Lima chasis. However somebody at last weeks show felt the definition of the grills etc was better than the Q Kits were. But I dont know any more.

The 3 22s I found interesting, they are Hornby (China). I've never seen any reference to Hornby 22s (only 29s) so consider myself fortunate, as anything else would be beyond my budget I suspect.

Incidentally most of the 4 wheel wagons in the photos also came from 1 lot of 50+ wagons, plus a kitbuilt 0-6-2.

TONY

Thanks Tony. Perhaps the Warship is a Golden Arrow kit. The 22s might be converted from 29s. A1 Models used to do a kit for that.

As promised I'm back.

Its good to get back to trying some modelling, and I couldn't wait for everything to dry, so heres my first attempt at cornish hedging.

Basic wall sides from moddelling clay on pan scourer. Can be a bit flexible if scoring is deep enough.

2 of these walls were then fitted back to back on card tabs, to allow for the "lean"

post-25234-0-80544200-1494256171_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-21891100-1494256243_thumb.jpg

Then the gap was filled with more pan scourer, this gave the approx correct proportions.

post-25234-0-06643800-1494256346_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-78160100-1494256425_thumb.jpg

Then enhanced (?) with some scenic embelishments

post-25234-0-88469700-1494256610_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-29044900-1494256699_thumb.jpg

Those who have seen my work will know its best viewed from a distance, as I'm aiming for the impression rather than absolute accuracy. The last pic in particular might be getting a bit too close for comfort. But then it wouldn't be worth sharing the process.

I've already realised that I need to be a bit more careful in the grading of the sizes of stones. I was working from memory and had already started before stumbling on Stubby47's diagrams.

Comments/suggestions please, before I start on the next section.

• Like 3

Hi Tony

AS you imply the stonework finish is far too regular......

Proper Cornish hedges are random stonework.....

Even the modern ones built alongside today's roads are far too regular....

However your embellishments do tend to hide the regularity of the stones.....

I like the idea of building them 'on' pan scourers as quite often there is a lot of greenery on the top.....

When I used pan scourers for hedging I teased the surface with a wire brush.....

Then applied spray glue & got a reasonable brambly/overgrown look by applying various grades/colours of scatter......

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tony

AS you imply the stonework finish is far too regular......

Proper Cornish hedges are random stonework.....

Even the modern ones built alongside today's roads are far too regular....

Cheers Bill

Herringbone pattern stonework is quite common as well, but I don't know how old this type is.  Would look good when modelled though.

Have a look at:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_hedge

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT

Morning Tony 

Like the photos , have so spot for Helston , will try this year to start my layout.

This is for everyone though , so please read , my wife lived next to the station by the builders yard in house called " Park Sledge "  ( hence the reason i like Helston ) but try and find a photo of this said building well we trawled  every book , Helston Histories , so i was wondering , does anyone out there have any photos ?????.

Thanks .

Thanks for all the responses, which I'll try to address as best I can. I was expecting another respondee, which has not appeared as yet -we'll see if it comes in later.

Bill (Treggyman) - I know you will have 1st hand knowledge and your point about the regularity is correct. However after posting yesterday I spent some time on a cornish hedges websit, looking through their galleries. What I learnt was that the style of stonework was dependant on 1) the Mason 2) The material 3) when built.

The style I built did appear, but was not perhaps quite so uniform as mine. But in its favour (my inner bodgit talking) as a result of the regular patter, flexibility ban be maintained. This is where the pan scourer base is an advantage over (say) card.

Dave (DLT) mentioned the herringbone pattern, and this I also saw. But was characteristic of hedges in slate based areas (North Cornwall). Great though it would be to reproduce that, I think its Premier League, and I'm trying to do a Forest Green and get into the 4th division. Those I remember from last time I was in Cornwall were around Helford, and my recollection is that they were possibly granite and fairly regular 4-6" stones.

I'm thinking the key will be to get the embellishments to look natural, and at the same time cover enough of the wall so that the regular pattern is not too obvious, whilst overall it doesn't simply look like an unkempt hedge.

Benjamin Brady mentions Park Sledge, a house with which I'm not familiar. Indeed I found it difficult to find pics of most of the buildings in the area, apart from the the station, engine shed, goods shed (station side) and signal box. At an early stage I recognised that I would not be making an exact model, but wanted to capture the feel. On my layout I am aware of "compromises" in all of the buildings listed above, but quite a few have pointed to it as clearly being Helston. To that extent I feel I'm succeeding. Also the cottages on the approach road are not really like anything I've come across in that road. But they are similar to many in Helston and the surrounding area, and fill in pretty well. 

Keith (HC) - I am toying with an idea for a cameo style effort, but as I've said before on here it would need 2 big fiddle yards, but I might yet try a mock up of the idea. But if that falls through Dursley could be tempting.

I'm really pleased to have had this response, and would welcome any more ideas to get these hedges looking better yet. so please keep the discussion going.

• RMweb Gold

These are all taken within a 5 minute walk of my place of work - Tolvaddon, near Camborne. I have several more, of other hedges in the area, from the completely overgrown to pristine to fully mortared (?)- you do get strange looks from folk as you stand there photographing hedges...

I would agree with the other comments that the stones look too regular, but depending on the amount of growth this might not be an issue.

You mention you've seen my diagram, this shows the hedge does not have a even lean, but has a curved batter.  How easy, or necessary, this is to do in 4mm / ft is debateable.

post-7025-0-24185400-1494342423.jpg

I certainly need to improve my hedges on Tinner's Forge, so I will be watching how you get on..

Edited by Stubby47

• 2 weeks later...

Theres been a week of slow progress. How true were Stu's (Stubby47) words, about a post Taunton slump. It's not that I don't want to keep going, more the lack of inertia, Having cleared up all my messes around the house, which I'd got away with pre-Taunton, its hard to get going without the convenience of just being able to pick it up and go again.

However I have been doing bits in the train room. Some on the corner board which had been neglected, including a new lane and level crossing, and a start on the river.

More particularly I have been progressing with more Cornish Hedges.

Now I have to start with an apology to Stu, I did take note of the drawings and pictures, but in practise found it rather difficult to include all that I learnt. This was mostly to do with having specific positions to use the hedging. i.e. to hide a board joint between the layout and the add on scenery piece. I think I've achieved that, hopefully the compromises won't detract too much. I think it works far better than either a wall, or "normal" hedge.

post-25234-0-71319000-1495116433_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-77668100-1495116532_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-36115200-1495116616_thumb.jpg

I had to retain the flexibility of the scourer, even after the clay coat, because the ground undulated quite markedly. If it were posible to cut the base layer to fit its location (and/or set the ground to be receptive) prior to building, it would be easier to get the stone pattern better, and the slope of the sides could also be improved.

Please let me have some comments. I'll be happy to try to incorporate some improvements if I think they will work. (I should have said this is not yet finished. The small tree hasn't yet had any sprinkles, this is just post 1st vacuum.

TONY

p.s. I'm sorry the pics aren't brilliant, but they are the best of what I've got. Will try to get better ones next time.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If you need some more photos of roadside hedges, just let me know, again there are plenty within a short walk.  I did pass a section today that had been de-vegetated, apart from the large trees, but typically the sun was in the wrong place to get a decent photo.

Though what you've done looks great, typically Cornish. Some are so overgrown the wall is completely hidden, which then raises a modelling question - how much 'hedge' is worth doing ?

Edited by Stubby47

Hi

I would agree with Stubby47 above that most of the original Cornish hedges I see whilst driving in to work in Helston are almost completely overgrown.....

Indeed the only stonework you can see is where a vehicle has hit the hedge & removed the foliage......

The only 'clean' ones are the new build......

This brings me to wonder what state the hedges were in during the period you are modelling......

Were they overgrown or did the council keep them clear of vegetation......

I don't know the answer to this as I originate from Zummerzet where we had lots of ditches rather than stone hedges......

Likewise if you want pics I can post some but most will be mainly greenery....

Cheers Bill

PS   That's some bright green bramble you've got there!!!!!

Hi

I would agree with Stubby47 above that most of the original Cornish hedges I see whilst driving in to work in Helston are almost completely overgrown.....

Indeed the only stonework you can see is where a vehicle has hit the hedge & removed the foliage......

The only 'clean' ones are the new build......

This brings me to wonder what state the hedges were in during the period you are modelling......

Were they overgrown or did the council keep them clear of vegetation......

I don't know the answer to this as I originate from Zummerzet where we had lots of ditches rather than stone hedges......

Likewise if you want pics I can post some but most will be mainly greenery....

Cheers Bill

PS   That's some bright green bramble you've got there!!!!!

Thanks Bill its always good to get another view.

I would suspect the hedges as depicted on Helstonish would be remote from the councils jurisdiction. Therefore potentially pretty unkempt in the late 50s early 60s.

Thats my story anyway.

The green brambles, are a fairly strong colour, but to the eye not as vibrant as in the photos. Thet will get tastefully weathered when I've got some mucky brush washings to hand.

All the best

• 3 weeks later...

HELP!

It feels like I've lost my way somewhere, and I need some feedback to get me on track.

Here's the story.

I did a deal that in consideration of the time/effort getting the layout to Taunton (seems so long ago), then I would on my booked weeks holiday decorate the (non railway) bedroom.

That was last week, and all is done now. But I can't believe that I've only been in the railway room to fetch tools etc, so I feel like I've completely lost touch with what I'm (meant to be) doing.

There was one good bit to the week off. It included Mrs MBs birthday, so a trip to buy wallpaper, got extended to a day out.

Here

post-25234-0-96673400-1496764620_thumb.jpg

Thankfully for you there will be no pictures of the decorating!

I have however taken a few quick pics today to update what I had been fiddling with on the layout.

The first set shows some progress on the corner, doorway board. Where I have added in a lane and level crossing. This will

hopefully lead to a small mill. It will have to be small as the space is about half that of the real one that it will be based on.

post-25234-0-49937300-1496765041_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-63392800-1496765118_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-07133200-1496765199_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-98269400-1496765313_thumb.jpg

The rest are to show how the scenic  section is developing, with nissen huts added. Also its just possible to make out the new scenic base behind the

engine shed. Short term this will get a (signalmans?) cottage at the station end. (I do have some longer term plans for another development there).

post-25234-0-05592600-1496765775_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-43809700-1496765876_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-89536800-1496765983_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-55412000-1496766061_thumb.jpg

To get me back on track I need some feedback.  Am I on the right track?  Are there any ideas how I might improve what can be seen, or how it develops.

Is there anything you think I've got wrong?

Just putting this together has helped, but please give me some ideas.

TONY

p.s. We are thinking of going to the Great Central exhibition, are any of you going? (Sat?/Sun?)

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

It included Mrs MBs birthday, so a trip to buy wallpaper

Is there anything you think I've got wrong?

Well Tony, buying wallpaper for Mrs MB's birthday present doesn't sound like one of your better ideas...

• Like 1

?

How late does gorse flower in Cornwall

Mid September????

Hi Tony

Not that late....It.s a spring flowering bush....One of the earliest to flower....

Looking at the gorse bushes in the lane there is the occasional flower but all the rest are now green seed pods.....

By September these will have all turned dark brown/black.......

If it wasn't hammering down with rain I'd take a picture of it for you & post it....

As far as your previous post goes it's all looking good....

There is no right or wrong.....

If YOU like it then it's right....

Keep up the good work....

Cheers Bill

John - you would be right, wallpaper for her birthday! But it was her idea and she got a day out at the G+WR as well. Wouldn't you be pleased with various sightings of Foremark Hall, plus coffee at Winchcombe, and lunch at Toddington.

Bill thanks for your input re gorse. I knew I was clutching at straws, but some info says at least one variety is late flowering. It just seemed that some yellow flowers added to my home made clumps would have got quite near. Back to the drawing board.

Today, having done my duty at the votery, I decided to actually have a little play.

So here is episode one of a day in the life of Helstonish. It happens to be earyl diesel period 'cos thats whats out at the moment.

Nearly 6am and the branch NBL type 2 is woken up.

post-25234-0-44367900-1496940483_thumb.jpg

It then moves to the headshunt where the B set has been stabled overnight.

post-25234-0-81783800-1496940629_thumb.jpg

About 6:15 and the ecs is brought into the platform, good level of custom so early in the day!

post-25234-0-86150900-1496940807_thumb.jpg

6:35 prompt D6334 departs with the first service train of the day. Today, unusually, there is no trailing load which normally accompanies this departure.

post-25234-0-13297700-1496940894_thumb.jpg

A glimpse of the train passing through the steep cutting beyond the overbridge.

post-25234-0-00384600-1496941187_thumb.jpg

and emerges past the platelayers hut, towards the level crossing.

post-25234-0-17595400-1496941360_thumb.jpg

Over the crossing and onto the embankment, approaching the first stop.

post-25234-0-80065600-1496942828_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-41624000-1496942960_thumb.jpg

And arriving at Tuthwell Halt, 1st stop.

post-25234-0-60570100-1496943065_thumb.jpg

I hope you have enjoyed the trip, next service is the Penzance  - St Ives & Helston auto service due Helstonish at 7:39

Time for a cup of tea!

• Like 5

Some layout improvements (?) to share with you -

post-25234-0-51845400-1497283042_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-60407100-1497283124_thumb.jpg

Lighting has been installed, adjustable pelmet over the layout. Although its no an easy operation raising it, I have done so today but won't be in a hurry to do it again. The positioning was dictated by the shape of the room, so is nearly to the front edge of the main boards. Of course that means the lights are inside the line of the scenery shelves, but the light does seem to get there ok as well.

Today I have also temporarily rigged another 2 strips across the top end scenic return to the fiddle yard. One is on the bottom of a picture frame, the other suspended across the doorway, but is probably too high.

To try these developments out I have taken pics of the next service on the branch.

A Hymek passes Truthwell Halt on a train of non-corridor suburban stock, substituting for the normal railcar, the 7.39 arrival at Helstonish. This is a Penzance - St Ives & Helstonish train normally a railcar, or DMU (if I had either in this livery!)

post-25234-0-19125100-1497283782_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-10601200-1497285244_thumb.jpg

And glimpsed coming past the platelayers hut into, what was, a gloomy cutting.

post-25234-0-67196400-1497285372_thumb.jpg

At 7:45 arriving 6 or 7 minutes late, some passengers will be worried that they'll be late for work in Penzance, as the return is due out at 7:50  Could have been worse having had 2 extra run-rounds so far ( at St Ives and St Erth).

post-25234-0-14666700-1497285487_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-89456100-1497285720_thumb.jpg

A prompt run-round, and with no empty rabbit van to remove today, the return leaves at 7:55

post-25234-0-46848000-1497285833_thumb.jpg

And passes through the cutting, where the sun has finally come up!

post-25234-0-18863100-1497285976_thumb.jpg

Onto the embankment, ready to open up once clear of the crossing.

post-25234-0-27199700-1497286072_thumb.jpg

and away into the sunrise. Theres still a "contre jour" shot, even with the lights

post-25234-0-04680500-1497286329_thumb.jpg

So thats all folks!  Any thoughts? Does the lighting help? Is the stream convincing?

Back soon

• Like 5