BRM November + FREE DVD & WIN A LAYOUT!

SteveCole

• Administrators

Hi all,

The November issue of BRM goes on-sale on Thursday (October 13th) and, as usual, it's jam-packed with great layouts, practical advice from expert modellers and the latest product news and reviews. This issue's FREE DVD includes Broxfield & Buntingford (an in-depth visit to an action-packed Eastern Region layout set in the 1970s) plus we show you how to build better card kits and paint models like a pro! Click here to order your copy online.

The best way to ensure you never miss an issue is to subscribe. Click here to subscribe and save a massive £33.50 over the year!

Enjoy the issue,

Steve and the BRM team

post-14186-0-66610200-1476187049.jpg

2 Great Layouts

Kensal Green - BR Western Region 1950s - OO gauge

Ashpeth & Leefield - LMR/ER 1960s-2000s - N gauge

Easy to follow modelling advice

How to... Build a micro box layout in N gauge

Fit & program Solenoid motors

Build a DCC controller

Fast & Simple detail tweaks

Installing overhead catenary (Part Two)

Something a little different...

The Makers: How it's Done -  Etched Kit Design

The Makers: Deluxe Materials

Prototype Inspiration - Railtours - 1910 - 1968

Warley Show Preview

Telford Guildex Report

The latest product news

Heljan product announcement

Revolution Trains Tea Bogie Tank

Bachmann/TMC BR 9F 2-10-0

Dapol BRCW Type 3 Bo-Bo/Class 33

Oxford Rail LNER/NBR Goods Wagons

Accucraft Isle of Man 2-4-0T

Mine came yesterday. Some nice stuff, but quite a lot not to my taste. That's OK, can't win 'em all but PLEASE, the marketing again. They are NOT "free" track plans, they are part of the CONTENT, which we pay for. IMO too many reviews, other opinions are available.

Best wishes

Ed

• Administrators

Any more info on the 'Win a layout' content ?

( I know, buy the mag & find out that way).

Scale / gauge, existing / bespoke build ?

Buy the mag and find out that way.

But, it's an N gauge micro layout built by Phil Parker.

• RMweb Premium

Two days to build a layout! Many years ago myself and a friend built a layout at a small local one day exhibition in Marple. We started with a 4' x 1' blank baseboard and by closing time we had a fully operational scenic layout, although some of the paint and glue was still wet on the way home. We did 'cheat' by having already made a kit of flexitrack and points which were easily assembled on Peco foam ballast. We had also made and painted the buildings in advance (much easier now with ready to plant buildings). I had managed to find some quick setting plaster for the landscape, I recall stopping to answer some questions by which time the plaster had almost set in the mixing bowl. But like Phil's layout, it did demonstrate to the visitors how to build a model railway and not a 'train set'. I wonder what happened to the layout Ken and I built?

One of the best issues IMO. Phil's article on the MERG DCC system demonstrates it doesn't have to cost a fortune to get a good, well featured DCC system up and running, with many features only available in higher end commercial offerings, and ability to be customised (with custom firmware via the MERG forum, for instance to disable programming on the main or programming at all to prevent accidental programming errors etc).

The Michael Edge article is great (I previously saw an iteration of it in the Scalefour News) as expected.

More like these please!

My copy arrived this morning and a few articles interest me. The Kendal Green layout and Phil's micro box layout plus his fast and simple detailing tweaks.

But where can I purchase the MasterPiece figures from and how was the canvas weather sheet made?

Regards Mark

• Administrators

My copy arrived this morning and a few articles interest me. The Kendal Green layout and Phil's micro box layout plus his fast and simple detailing tweaks.

But where can I purchase the MasterPiece figures from and how was the canvas weather sheet made?

Regards Mark

I couldn't find a supplier of MasterPiece figures on-line, but am hoping someone can as they are worth the money and deserve to be better known. He does many shows - Wycrail is usually worth a look.

The canvas sheet is included with the bag'o'bits that comes with the model. Why it's moulded in green is a mystery but some paint soon sorts that.

• Administrators

Space precluded the inclusion in the mag of some prototype loco pictures to accompany my piece on detailing the 1F, so I thought I'd post them here. Warning - contains filth and smuts!

Proto1.jpg

Proto2.jpg

Proto3.jpg

All were taken at Barrow Hill a couple of years ago. I found the less than clean loco quite inspiring.

I haven't had chance to read this month's magazine, but having just watched the DVD, I am of the opinion that it is time to scrap it. 

We used to get a lot more content, usually a look at two different layouts, plus for a while there were on location features, behind the scenes stuff, some practical modelling, (adverts for woodland scenics/Deluxe materials doesn't count,) etc. Now we have one layout feature a month, usually with some post production editing so we aren't even getting a true representation of what the model looks like. Alongside that are adverts, (yes I do realise that advertising pays for content, I just don't want to pretend it's anything like an impartial, practical skills demonstration,) then this month, nothing, nada, not even some extra pictures or anything. Then to add insult to injury, the front of the sleeve states a RRP of £7.99! What muppet came up with that figure, if I'd paid that much for the DVD, you best believe I'd be straight back for a refund and some choice words. If production costs are too high, then just scrap it, please. I'd welcome the price reduction in line with the other magazines available.

On the flip side, the actual magazine continues to be great quality, (with the exception of one a few months ago where there seemed to be errors on every other page, but thankfully that was a one off, even if I received no reply to my message on the matter,) so please do not view this as all doom and gloom, there are some great positives and I am not ready to bin my subscription just yet. All I ask is that some questions are asked around the office and a plan is developed for what the future is regarding the DVD.

• Administrators

Alongside that are adverts, (yes I do realise that advertising pays for content, I just don't want to pretend it's anything like an impartial, practical skills demonstration,)

Unless it's a specific product review - everything I've used in practical projects has been chosen as it does the job. You can take a look at my (writen unpaid) blog if this helps as I'm using the same products there.

While some are supplied, many are actually paid for, frequently out of my own pocket. I try to stick with readily available products as far as possible. That's why you'll see a lot of Wilco DIY stuff in there, which they don't supply or pay us to use. Of course, maufacturers who are on the ball will send in products for us to try and if they are any good, we'll try them. Most ranges contain stuff I'd happily pay for and stuff that I won't use even if it is free. That's not to say it is bad, but I don't get on with it even when others do. If it's good though, I'll tell people as I want others to enjoy their modelling.

Including the bottles in photos is just to answer the inevitable questions about what we used by those wishing to follow the project themselves. Perhaps in future I'll keep that a secret, it would certainly make my life easier.

On the DVD, even if it is a product demo, such as the airbrush set this time, I'll make sure the techiniques are applicable elsewhere and do my best to make sure it's useful for everyone. The equipment used is good - I'd have kept it but have enough airbrush stuff so it's been passed over to Ben to be used in his future projects - but everything I did will work with other airbrushes, booths and compressors.

I am a regular over at your blog and a keen admirer of your work, but it is good that you mentioned that as others who may be reading this may have not been to your blog yet and if that's the case, then they're missing out on some great modelling stuff. 

When you say something is good though, I honestly do believe you and this month I really do wish that I had the money available for that airbrush package, (alas I've just had back surgery which means I am recovering away from work and with christmas fast approaching, every penny counts). Likewise, the moving vehicle diorama was great and although not something I could personally make use of, I am sure that there are many that could and I imagine you encouraged a few people out there to invest in moving traffic. I would say that the dioramas are very different to "this is Deluxe materials card glue, it sticks card, this is us using it to stick card". (I appreciate that Howard put more effort than that into the presentation, I was just simplifying it down to help illustrate my point.)

As I say, I don't have an issue as such with these being included on the DVD, I would just like more content, such as we used to get in 2015. 

Completely off topic now Phil, but how is the next book coming along, I look forward to seeing what Kate gets up to next..........

just thought I'd try and say something constructive for once....

the mag is good although maybe a little technical for me this month, but as a railway / model railway enthusiast what I buy the mag for mainly is 'eye candy'.... I realise that only 10% of the features will apply to my hobby, but it's all about how others go about their hobby....

their hobby, their motivation, my inspiration....

using visual media as you do so well, some photos are stunning, why not apply to the DVD. what I,d like to see is layouts, that's why we go to shows, it's what we want to see. you have the DVD in place and it's a powerful selling point so don't waste it....

a few middle aged blokes sticking cardboard together with fancy glue ain't 'eye candy'....

• Administrators

I am a regular over at your blog and a keen admirer of your work, but it is good that you mentioned that as others who may be reading this may have not been to your blog yet and if that's the case, then they're missing out on some great modelling stuff. 

When you say something is good though, I honestly do believe you and this month I really do wish that I had the money available for that airbrush package, (alas I've just had back surgery which means I am recovering away from work and with christmas fast approaching, every penny counts). Likewise, the moving vehicle diorama was great and although not something I could personally make use of, I am sure that there are many that could and I imagine you encouraged a few people out there to invest in moving traffic. I would say that the dioramas are very different to "this is Deluxe materials card glue, it sticks card, this is us using it to stick card". (I appreciate that Howard put more effort than that into the presentation, I was just simplifying it down to help illustrate my point.)

As I say, I don't have an issue as such with these being included on the DVD, I would just like more content, such as we used to get in 2015. 

Completely off topic now Phil, but how is the next book coming along, I look forward to seeing what Kate gets up to next..........

We've filmed lots more content today. Some of us didn't get to go home straight after the show closed as the camera guys hadn't got to us by then because they had been filming layouts...

One of the benfits of the DVD demos is they leave the product with nowhere to hide. In a photo, although we are honest, it wouldn't be hard to fudge a result. When it's being filmed, the stuff works or it doesn't. Nothing can hide that (yes I know, CGI, but BRM doesn't have Hollywood budgets, not even Crossroads ones) so what you see is what you get. As it happens, Deluxe card glue falls into the category of products I've actually paid good money for. Sorry it doesn't count as "eye candy" but I think Howard will be less than impressed at being called "middle aged"!

And my novel is going well. Book 2 is about 3/4 complete and progress will be gathering pace now with some of my other comitments winding down.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

...(yes I know, CGI, but BRM doesn't have Hollywood budgets, not even Crossroads ones...

Morning Phil

You do yourselves a disservice, I'm impressed with how you manage to shrink Steve down once a month and insert him into layouts. Wonkavision? We should be told.

For me this month the DVD wasn't as interesting, but has been in the past, and I don't expect to be wowed every month, but I did particularly enjoy this month's magazine, especially the etching article.

I'm guessing the Gaugemaster offer is UK readers only seeing as it's tied into a direct debit subscription.

Archived