Basingstoke 2017 show, 11th/12th March - the Best-in-Show layout

Western Star

I am starting the annual event topic early this year primarily because the local county council has withdrawn support for community web-sites and hence the Basingstoke Club web-site has a new address and a new format - as change brings confusion then I hope that creating this topic in October shall given me an opportunity to respond to visitor queries.  So the new web-site address for the show is:-

http://www.basingstokemrs.org/exhibition.html

and for the home page is:-

http://www.basingstokemrs.org

If you find yourself on the home page then there is a navigation pane available by clicking the three horizontal lines in the top left corner of the home page.  This web site is a new construction in 2016 and so there may be some funnies / errors to be addressed - please let me know if you find issues with the format and/or structure of our web-site.

At this stage the lists of layouts and traders are slightly fluid... any updates to the web site shall be included here.

regards, Graham

• 4 weeks later...

To start with a list of those layouts which have confirmed attendance at the 2017 show.  I have tried to provide links to web-pages which feature pictures of the layouts...  sometimes the owner of a layout provides such a link and where that is not the case then a search of the internet is necessary.   Please note that the links included here are provided in good faith and based upon either information provided by an exhibitor or results supplied by a search engine.  Neither the Basingstoke & NHMRS nor those acting for the Basingstoke & NHMRS are responsible for the content of any web pages that are accessed using the links in this thread.

In N-gauge...

Barton Hill, EWS/RES Depot

Watercress Line (the Mid-Hants Railway)

Wickwar Country village

In 2mm-FS...

Camford Jcn, set in the early 1990s
Welton Down, 3rd Rail Electric 1991

In 4mm scale (00 / H0 / EM) ...

Bath Green Park S&D, set in the 1960s

Brighton East Network South East

K Street Yard Urban Freight USA 

Calderwood, Lancashire & Yorkshire set in 1910

Lowe Quay

Navigation Road, NE London Industrial

In 4mm scale narrow gauge...

Wantage Tramway 1920's tramway

In 7mm scale (0-gauge / S7 / Narrow gauge) ...

Charmouth Light railway terminus  (narrow gauge)

Durham Road MPD Diesel Depot

Frogpool, GWR Branch set in the South West

Porters Lock, GWR through station (withdrawn, 23/2/2017, see note below)

Tom's Wharfe, Bygone era (5.5mm )

In Gauge-3...

Warton Road, Preserved country branch

Porters Lock has withdrawn from our 2017 show...  we have a 40ft x 8ft space, can you help to fill the gap?

regards, Graham

Thank you Mike,  finding "quality" is difficult every year and I think that the layout "booking-boy" has done a good job for 2017.  Hang around though...  Gordon Gravett is bringing his new layout in 2018...  or is that 2019?  Our experience is that we need to look three or four years out for the "must-see" models.

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to this show, bringing Charmouth for one of it's very occasional outings.

Brought my other layout, Bridport Town, a couple of years ago and we had a cracking good weekend.

All the best,

Dave.

And so to the first layout of the 2017 show to be featured...  Wantage Town.  Basingstoke Club has had a Wantage Town layout at a previous show although a different layout in a different scale (step forward Phil) - maybe one day we can present yet a third model of this iconic prototype (I mean Steve, Mr. Sopwith).

I am grateful that I have been provided with a number of photos of this 4mm narrow gauge interpretation of Wantage albeit choosing which images to use (first) is a difficult task.  All photos in this post are copyright of and supplied by Richard Holder.

Most modellers may think "Jane"...  or even "Shannon" when considering the WTC Rly., few recollect this "tram" engine.  A nice portrait of a 4mm engine on 9mm gauge track.

post-4085-0-23161800-1479290985_thumb.jpg

post-4085-0-98068500-1479291008_thumb.jpg

post-4085-0-05514100-1479291025_thumb.jpg

Too clean? probably.

Plastic sheen to the sunflowers? yes.

Obvious building line at ground level? oh dear.

Forget the niggles, enjoy the fun aspect of the last photograph...  the modelling is rather good as well.

To continue with the narrow gauge theme, Charmouth is attending our 2017 Show.  Dave Taylor brought Bridport to our show a couple of years ago and I asked him to return with Charmouth solely on the basis of the quality of Bridport.  I have a surfeit of wonderful images of Charmouth courtesy of Dave so I shall be sharing the pikkies over several posts.

This photo is lovely modelling...  no marks for recognising the architectural style of the building (oh, go on, post your answers here).

post-4085-0-23025100-1479495609_thumb.jpg

The same part of Charmouth as in the previous photo, from the other direction.

post-4085-0-67807100-1479495643_thumb.jpg

Many years back the MRJ published a series of articles on the building of Inkerman Street and one of the contributors, might have been Barry Norman, commented about how one could just know that "Paul had been there before", this was a reference to some of the details / views which were being included in the model.  When I saw the next photo I was reminded immediately of how I reacted to the MRJ comment - this could well have been one of Paul's visions.

Just enjoy the simplicity..., the ordinary-ness..., of the scene - how often does our modelling include such opportunities?

post-4085-0-89757700-1479495562_thumb.jpg

regards, Graham

Whilst my main interest in railways lies with the Edwardian era and Churchward the modelling interests of my Son have caused me to take notice of models of more recent railways and Navigation Road is a good example of British railways in the late 1960s / early 1970s...  a period when the decline of Victorian influence on the infrastructure and operation was just about complete.

Navigation Road is set in the North-east of London, somewhere in an industrial area.  I am not sure how the Cl.33 got there, not worried because this first picture is very pleasant on the eye.  The canal appears to be modelled nicely and the house to the right hand corner warrants investigation (this photo is a tease in that respect).
post-4085-0-95557300-1479813069_thumb.jpg
Photo supplied to Basingstoke Club by the layout team, copyright acknowledged.

I have been supplied with several "close-up" observations of details on Navigation Road and this image is a cracker.  OK, ignore the coupling, just feel the texture of the rust over the replacement panels.  I shall be asking questions of the builder at some point during our show.
post-4085-0-72477600-1479813136_thumb.jpg
Photo by Rob Score of the Basingstoke club.

regards, Graham

Whilst my main interest in railways lies with the Edwardian era and Churchward the modelling interests of my Son have caused me to take notice of models of more recent railways and Navigation Road is a good example of British railways in the late 1960s / early 1970s...  a period when the decline of Victorian influence on the infrastructure and operation was just about complete.

Navigation Road is set in the North-east of London, somewhere in an industrial area.  I am not sure how the Cl.33 got there, not worried because this first picture is very pleasant on the eye.  The canal appears to be modelled nicely and the house to the right hand corner warrants investigation (this photo is a tease in that respect).
Photo supplied to Basingstoke Club by the layout team, copyright acknowledged.

I have been supplied with several "close-up" observations of details on Navigation Road and this image is a cracker.  OK, ignore the coupling, just feel the texture of the rust over the replacement panels.  I shall be asking questions of the builder at some point during our show.
Photo by Rob Score of the Basingstoke club.

regards, Graham

Graham

As the Layout Is near the Eastern End of the North London Line almost any SR (class 33! etc), WR, ER, or Southern LMR traction would be totally prototypical!

Mike

Yes - true - not a mistake, so please take advantage of this unusual turn of events if you can.

The Basingstoke Club is very aware of the changing age-profile of club members and of those who attend railway exhibitions - and that lots of people talk about what can be done (or, more accurately, that something must be done).  This year the Basingstoke Club is taking a step to encourage families and young people to come to our show through a reduction in admission charges.

Last year the admission price for children was £4.00, this year the price is £3.00.

Last year the admission price for families was £14.00, this year the price is £12.00.

regards, Graham

Another show, another layout from the Peter Clark / Jim McGeachy stable.  I think that we have had at least four visits from these guys in the last seven years... always a good exhibit, always worth the floor space.

Unusually for an exhibitor, I have not been given a layout plan and that makes writing captions somewhat interesting.  In this photo one may be excused for thinking that the key element is the Duff...  my eye was drawn to the pigeon loft although I shall understand if anyone wishes to offer an alternative name with a North East flavour.

post-4085-0-23889800-1481046918_thumb.jpg

The idea of photo shots across the tracks / down an alley seems to be popular for the layouts this year (see an earlier post for Charmouth).

post-4085-0-04990300-1481046943_thumb.jpg

Allotments / vegetable patches are in numbers for 2017, (see an earlier post for Wantage Road).  I like this view and shall be keen to see how the photo compares to the real thing.

post-4085-0-86545300-1481046964_thumb.jpg

For this coming week we are going stateside with K Street Yard which represents a small, urban, goods yard.  I quote from the Carshalton & Sutton MRC web-site (link at the top of this page):-

"A Milwaukee Road HO switching layout set between the late fifties to early seventies. Fictional location in the north of Spokane, Washington State. Because of competition from the Burlington Northern and Great Northern the mainline to the yard was never built, instead it had to rely on the original steeply graded line which threads its way between the buildings."

and:-

"The buildings are a mixture of Walthers and Bachman kits ... . The buildings have all been modified and not built straight from the box."

I like the way that this photo offers "angles" on the buildings and the trackwork.  Is there really an alley-way off of the road on the far side of the crossing?

post-4085-0-12366800-1481489436_thumb.jpg

The crossing features in this photo as well as in the previous image... clearly the yard master is not worried about the freight cars delaying the passage of motors.  Another alley behind the buildings?

post-4085-0-19153700-1481489461_thumb.jpg

Both photos courtesy of David Smith.  This is a layout that I shall put close to the top of my list of "must view".

I've had a look on Google Earth, there doesn't seem to be a lot of on-sight parking?

If every visitor arrived for opening on Saturday then we shall be in a pickle...

Just how much space is available depends upon several factors:-

* we have used the school tennis court area in previous years and expect to use that area for this show.  The tennis court area is space for around 150 cars.

* close to the northern entrance to the school is a cap park for a nearby medical centre and visitors can park there.  Just how many visitors can park there depends upon people attending the medical and dental centres.  This space offers up to 75 spaces.

* the surrounding roads offer on-street parking and how much is dependent upon the locals.

To help those who wish to visit our show then we provide a Heritage Bus Service from the station to the southern school entrace.  Details of this service can be found at the bottom of this page of the club web-site.

• 2 weeks later...
For this week we are going to the suburbs of London courtesy of the Southampton MRS... Lowe Quay in 4mm scale... the club has a good layout description on their web-site and I can do no better than the quote from that source.  With acknowledgement to the Southampton MRS:-

Lowe Quay represents a goods yard somewhere to the south east of London, circa 1960; its situation being such that whilst mostly Southern Region locomotives can be seen, the occasional Western and London Midland Region loco will appear on cross-London transfer freights.  The quay is alongside a small creek off the River Thames, providing a link to the London Docks and the canal network, allowing interchange of freight between coastal shipping, barges and rail, whilst substantial loading docks allow similar interchange between road and rail.  Motive power is mostly, but not exclusively, steam; most of the work is carried out by small shunting engines, with little main line power to be seen.

end quote

post-4085-0-62236300-1482696842.jpg

post-4085-0-23253100-1482696865.jpg

All photos by and with consent of Andy Binns (Southampton MRS).

• 2 weeks later...
The Taunton MRG is bringing Bath Green Park to our 2017 Show and has supplied a veritable cornucopia of photos - so many that I am truly spoilt for choice.  For our first visit to this layout - "first" meaning that there are enough images to ensure repeated trips on the Pines - we have photos from the Railway Modeller of 2012 (all images supplied by the Taunton club for which I am very grateful).

Quite splendid architecture and quite splendid modelling...  if only this had retained some level of service for another five years or so then what a treat we could enjoy every day.

post-4085-0-41694700-1483475396_thumb.jpg

The modelling for the 'backs' is just as good as that for the 'fronts' and the bins rather make the scene.

post-4085-0-06869300-1483475467_thumb.jpg

Very much an everyday scene in so many parts of the country, this reminds me of...  the way to school...  exploring a new town with the trusty Locoshed Directory...  a way of life...  and modelling the reality beyond the railway fence.

post-4085-0-58117700-1483475533_thumb.jpg

In publishing so many photos so early you might just be spoiling the show.

Thank you for this interesting comment...  I have roughly twenty layouts to cover and roughly four months in which to do just that, so five layouts per month and that equates to one layout per week.  If I post three photos of each layout then I shall be surprised if such coverage causes potential visitors to think "seen that, no need to go".  Regular readers of this topic over the last five or six years do, I trust, recognise that I attempt to choose photos which are not of the "big engine / coaches / platform" style;  rather I select images which illustrate some unusual feature of the prototype...  or offer superb modelling (as in Charmouth, Pempoul, Alkham, Swanton, Harlyn Pier being good examples.

Anyone who feels that there is no need to go after seeing all of the layouts on this thread is free to forward a donation to the club  :yes: .

Archived