Hartlepool Model Railway Show

apbolton

Hartlepool model rail show has been going now for 11 years, from our humble beginnings at Manor College of Technology,  to a few years at Wynyard Conference Centre, we have for the last 4 years held our exhibition at the Hartlepool College of Further Education, in the middle of town.

Started by a good friend of ours Malcolm Priestman, who is sadly no longer with us, the aim has always been to raise money for charity, we are not a club and each year any profits we make a shared between local nominated charities, this year it is the RNLI and Hartlepool Families First.

This years show is on 22nd and 23rd October, 10am to 5pm Saturday and 10am to 4pm Sunday, there are 24 layouts from Z gauge to O gauge, 26 trader stands and modelling demonstrations.

Full disabled access, catering facilities. Parking charge (Saturday only) £1.50

Admission charges, Adults £6, Children £4, OAP £5 under 5's free, Family ticket (2+3) £18

Details to follow on this year exhibitors.

• Like 2

Here is a list of the layouts and traders you will be able to see at this years show, please come along and support our charities

Layouts                                                                                         Traders

59th & Rust - HO - Ray O'Neill                                                              Contikits

Braddock - HO - Phil Baggley                                                               Digitrains

Byr-A-Cyrliog - 009 - Cleveland Model Railway Club                            Durham Locomotive Preservation Group

Birtley Queen Street - O - Birtley Model Railway Engineers                 Pooleys Puffers

Cuyahoga - Z- Kevin Smith                                                                   Peters Spares

Newcastle By The Water - N - Alsager Railway Association                Going Loco

Wainthrop Bridge - EM - Simon Howard                                               DC Kits & DE Videos

Walker Falls - On30 - Thistle Modellers                                                Mad About Trains

Stoke Gabriel - OO - Ken Gibbons                                                        Durham Trains of Stanley

Tees Steel - OO - Cleveland Model Railway Club                                 Smart Models

Zweiberg - HO  - Roger Epps & Nathan Bridge                                     Cyson Cabinets

West Pinfold - P4 - Durham Modellers                                                   Finishing Touches

Artendent - OO - Chris Lowe                                                                  Direct Train Spares

Ravenscar Pier - OO & 009 - Gordon Bulmer                                        Keiths Models

Tom-Na-Faire - EM - Adrian Walby                                                        Grosmont Books

Lomond Moor - N - Todmorden Model Group                                        Model Roads & Tramways

Westbahnhof - N - Brian Silby                                                                P&D Marsh

Walberswold - 009 - Phillip Ashlee                                                         Along Classic Lines

Loosley Warren - Z - Ann Silby                                                              North Road Trains

The Brick - OO - Christopher Martin                                                       RCTS

Kilburn - OO - Karl Ellis                                                                           Loughborough Models

Croft - EM - Duncan Wilcox                                                                     DJ Model Solutions

Dunelm - OO - Mike Fishwick                                                                  Simpasturegate Miniatures

Farnby - O - Cleveland Model Railway Club                                            ABC Models

Road & Rail Collectables

Vintage Models in Miniature

Stoneybridge Structures

There will also be demonstrations of

Weathering from Jonathan Wealleans

O gauge scratch building from Peter Simmerson

O gauge loco building from Martin Smith

I have been asked to demonstrate weathering techniques at this year's show and look forward to seeing many of you there.

j15_65467_1_zpsphbfbruj.jpg

67738_zpsce744f73.jpg

wd4_zpseb467cde.jpg

milkvan_zpsd87e51a7.jpg

100_0607_zps1b65e4e9.jpg

MOY_coke_zpsewmreka2.jpg

pos_1_zps271c162d.jpg

Jonathan,

I am looking forward to talking to you about weathering a rake of tank wagons that I need to 'dull down'. Do you have any examples amongst you collection already?

Tom2

Edited by LMS29

Great exhibition. Really good layouts and trade, grabbing some bargains. Looking forward to Spennymoors new bigger show next weekend. I know they have some excellent layouts lined up.

If you have not been to Hartlepool. Get yourself along! It's all for charity

Enjoyed exhibiting at previous shows when it was earlier in the year. Hope it goes well this year.

Keep an eye out for the Jet Provost in the rear car park! (assuming it hasn't flown away...)

steve

Enjoyed exhibiting at previous shows when it was earlier in the year. Hope it goes well this year.

Keep an eye out for the Jet Provost in the rear car park! (assuming it hasn't flown away...)

steve

Not unless they have renewed the elastic band inside it!! :nono:

By the way, this is a very good, well organised show, Steve and I took Meopham East Junction there in 2012.

Edited by Judge Dread

It seemed very quiet at the Hartlepool exhibition today.

I wonder if it's cost effective for traders.

I was at the Gaydon a fortnight ago and you had a struggle to get close to the Legoman/Merlin/Locoman show.

At Hartlepool today, there were long periods when there was no one at the stand.

Most of the exhibition seemed pretty busy during the time I was there today (from 11:45 until 2:30-ish) and there were a few times when I had to wait to get near a trade stand. Bought a few photos from the RCTS stand and a book from DC kits/D&E Videos.

Andy

Not many model railway exhibitions have an Airfix model stuck on a plinth out in the carpark  (and a full size brewery almost directly opposite).

For anybody going tomorrow keep an eye out for the full size Provost inside the exhibition hall. Believe it or not, there is also a second full aircraft inside but it's very well hidden. Clue: Look out for the lathes in the technology corridor. (The lathes are equally well hidden.)

post-508-0-48462600-1477181916.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 3

I was at the Gaydon a fortnight ago and you had a struggle to get close to the Legoman/Merlin/Locoman show.

At Hartlepool today, there were long periods when there was no one at the stand.

I also thought it was very quiet this year. With a lot of traders selling the same stuff.

Great show this year! Really enjoyed all the layouts and the quality was really good.

For me with two young boys the quieter aspect of this show is perfect, when compared to the likes of York and Doncaster shows. The cafe is a lot more economical too.

Yes the fact that the show appears to be quiet, whether this was the case or not I do not know, makes watching the layouts easier and a lot less stressful. You do not have to wait or fight to get a glimps of each layout. I think the largeish well lit exhibition space also helps. The one thing I found a tad odd was getting hot feet, until I realised it was the very warm underfloor heating!

I found the Ops helpful with questions I had and the traiders I bought from were nice.

The location is good too and very easy to get to with parking directly outside.

My boys had a great time as did I and we enjoyed ourselves.

Thanks for the show, see you next year.

With only two of us there we had the odd break, I actually spent time between the Books & Legoman Stand as Jim has to have a sit down and have a break at fairly regular intervals, he is 82 years old!   At Gaydon we had 5 staff, sorry IF I missed you.  Charlie

With only two of us there we had the odd break, I actually spent time between the Books & Legoman Stand as Jim has to have a sit down and have a break at fairly regular intervals, he is 82 years old!   At Gaydon we had 5 staff, sorry IF I missed you.  Charlie

Charlie,

Your sound team gave me loads of time. I just spread my elbows a bit. Not necessary at Hartlepool but you were still at your entertaining best.

Saturday with Granddaughter, and Sunday with my mate, . . .Enjoyed both days with a good variation of traders,  and the standards of the exhibits seems to improve every year.

Sorry, Baz. . .Switched my camera on only for it to switch itself back of due to Knackered batteries. . . . I really should use it more.

John

Very nice show with excellent variety of layouts. The American one in the dark with sound and lights was very interesting and had a great friendly crew. Some others were equally impressive, including the North Eastern O gauge layout. 

There was quite a lot of trade there at the event, more than I realised, despite the list above. Thanks to Digitrains and Charlie for excellent advice on DCC Sound. They will both be getting orders from me in due course. 

On behalf of all of us at Hartlepool Model Rail Group, I would like to thank, all of the exhibitors for coming along and entertaining the public and all the traders 95% of which have been with us for many years and really make it possible to hold the event, I would also like the guys who came along and gave their time to help us and lastly I would like to thank everyone who came along at the weekend and for the nice comments on this thread.

Baz, I will post some picture a soon as they come back from being developed !!!!

Cheers

Paul

• Like 2