O Scale Switching, Southern California Mid 80's to Early 90's

Vanrouge

Hi Guys another request for help please.

I am modelling a fictional location in Southern California in the Mid 80’s to early 90’s era, the scale is O and it will have a Los Angeles Junction Railway…ish feel to it. The spur is served by both the SP and ATSF and its working name is San Dimas (real location, stolen name… Thanks Bill and Ted) :this:

I even have a plan or should I say the thanks for the plan is entirely to a great model railroader from Germany called Lars, his web site is here

http://www.railroadfan.de.tl

You can keep pace with his work in English by following this thread on the OGR forum

http://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/realizing-some-street-running

So back to “San Dimas”, using SCARM (badly) I have mocked out the plan, I know the car types I wish to run but I am having more difficulty bolting down the actual industries. Please see the Plan below

:mail:

The verical Dimension is 4m  and the Horizontal dimension is approx 3.7m with an L shaped Baseboard design of approx 60cm width.

post-28988-0-16932400-1476355083_thumb.jpg

“Unknown Industry” I’d like to to use Box Cars and Refers so some sort of food packing or processing would be good.

For the siding marked “Covered Hoppers/ Box Cars” I have this in mind (selectively compressed of course J). :scratchhead:

post-28988-0-92263200-1476355107_thumb.jpg

Many thanks in advance as always, I would very much appreciate your input guys and look forward to hearing your comments.

Cheers

Nick

Thanks Jamo

I received my Sprog 3 yesterday, looking forward to learning all about that, I am intended to the JMRI throttle function use my mobile as a hand held but more of that later.

Unknown Industry know more!!!! :sungum: There is something about writing your thoughts down that (sometimes) helps put things to context,

I have been struggling with ideas for weeks but this Morning it hit me that I had had my solution all along but had never thought of it in that way before.

Prior to me embarking on my O scale odessey? I had been planning an HO switching layout based on UP trackage in Vernon CA and I was going to include the below industry.

post-28988-0-51983800-1476437978_thumb.jpg

That project is obviously on hold for now but I always really liked the look of the 4 Seasons General Merchandise building, so why not change it usage to 4 Seasons Foods :locomotive:

So another building idea sorted, on to my Corn Syrup and Boxcar facility.......Hmmmm  :scratchhead:

Anythoughts or ideas would be much appreciated

Cheers All

Nick 

Although the layout will have a permanent home the boards will be of modular construction to allow the layout to be moved/stored as necessary. Having sketched out the plan in SCARM I have now been able to work out how the boards will be split in order to avoid any interference with any turnouts (switches).

The material I was thinking of using is 12mm MDF as it is dimensionally stable - to avoid issues with warping and it is readily available locally (I realise there is a weight penalty but I am not intending moving it around much). This readily translates into a 1.2m by 0.60m a standard modular board size and minimises any waste.

The Horizontal measurement (see track plan above) is 3.76m which mean the two end boards will be 1.2m and the centre board containing the turnouts will be 1.36m

The Vertical measurement is 4m but less the 0.6m board width will mean two 1.2m boards the centre one of which will again contain the turnouts with an end board of 1m.

As always guys any thoughts are welcome, off out shortly (as seems very popular on here) meeting friends for a drink. :locomotive:

Cheers

Nick

Nick,

You have to find a company name for your shortline.

Here is a scale sketch of your project I've drawn to have an idea of the general size.

If you haven't more space to make a fiddle yard, your yard can be the end of your layout, imagining it's connected with another company.

Do you have more space to continue the street running?

What is the signification of the red arrow located at the 4 seasons Food Co?

Jacky

gallery_27876_4070_80407.png

Thanks for that Jackie, helps put the plan in to context. I will play around with some of the alignments to max out the yard and the street running lead at the other end of the layout. May I ask how you overlaid the scale boards on the track plan?

We are clearly on the same page with regards to naming the line, as this is a joint venture between the SP and ATSF. I was thinking of calling it the San Dimas Southern Railway (SDSR)

The real San Dimas was served by ATSF and given that it is set around the time of the proposed SPSF merger... quite appropriate?

I will keep working on the back story to lay some flesh on the ideas behind the layout :scratchhead:

Cheers

Nick

Thanks for that Jackie, helps put the plan in to context. I will play around with some of the alignments to max out the yard and the street running lead at the other end of the layout. May I ask how you overlaid the scale boards on the track plan?

We are clearly on the same page with regards to naming the line, as this is a joint venture between the SP and ATSF. I was thinking of calling it the San Dimas Southern Railway (SDSR)

The real San Dimas was served by ATSF and given that it is set around the time of the proposed SPSF merger... quite appropriate?

I will keep working on the back story to lay some flesh on the ideas behind the layout :scratchhead:

Cheers

Nick

Thank you for the informations.

For the plan, I've used Powerpoint. I've made a scale sheet. Here: 4m x 3,76m ---> 40 cm x 37,5 cm (and I add a little more in the two directions). After that, I've imported the file of your trackplan and I've drag it to the good size.

A 120 x 60 cm board is drawn by a rectangle of 12 x 6 cm. I just add this shape at the good location. And it's easy to duplicate it by a copy and paste.

Using this software, it's possible to draw any trackplan in scale very easily. I can test curve radius, length. I can add scanned turnouts or photos. Anything...

;)

post-13979-0-11644800-1476639206_thumb.jpg

here's my next layouts baseboards, 9mm ply, it will have 6mm ply tops, nothing spectacular as you can see, there 1200 x 450mm each, made from 100 x 9mm boards, cross members are at 300mm centre's, with hole to reduce the weight, may drill holes in front and back depending on finished weight,hope this helps.

Ray

A week since my last post so a quick update. I have been continuing with my research, received most of my track work and I am beginning to get to grips with JMRI following receipt of my Sprog 3.

In the end I plumped for Atlas code 148 as I was offered some end of line (sic) flex track and # 5 switches at a reasonable price (many thanks and take a bow Mr Jason D). I know the 148 is a compromise for my usage but I figured it would be reliable, easy to wire and I was a little concerned about the reported “flexibility” of ME code 125 “flex”track. I aim to tone down the height of the rail with some heavy weathering.

The biggest disappointment this week is/ was as try as I might I cannot get the sound functions to work on my Atlas MP15. I have tried playing with both the F8 and F9 functions and I have completed factory resets using JMRI Decoder Pro and on DC power using the Atlas supplied “wand” but still no luck. No sound using either DCC or DC though clearly the decoder recognises the F6 engine start as it switches the loco lights on……. :scratchhead:

post-28988-0-17944100-1477304313.jpg

On the left is the Sprog 3 (tiny isn't it), in the middle is the lovely if not peskily quiet MP15 (scheduled for an SP repaint in November :this:) and on the right is my Old Moto G (Now my WIFI hand throttle). :locomotive:

Work has continued on the layout room this week end and it will be a really nice environment to. be in both when playing trains and when chilling out… (of course it’s going to have a fridge in it… although how long it remains well stocked is a matter of some conjecture).

Off to the NMRA convention this weekend with the Mrs (just for the day – not sure if it will be Saturday or Sunday) so perhaps I will bump in to some of you guys there?

Cheers

Nick

Talk of a "wand" leads me to suspect it is a factory-fitted QSI decoder in the MP15. If so, you may find that even if/after you persuade it to make a noise it might not run particularly smoothly, especially at slow speeds.

Can't help much with any suggestions re the sound other than it might be in 'shut down' mode. Google should help find the solution, if pressing F8 twice quickly isn't the answer.

Finally I managed to prod my mute MP15 in to life. But only after taking the body off (bit of a pig with no instructions, but will help for the repaint next month) only to find that the reed switch is not located where illustrated in the loco handbook (back of air cleaner box) but at the front edge of the air cleaner box. Then did a factory reset on DC power using the supplied wand, slow speed control is actually pretty good in both DC and DCC modes. :locomotive:  

Cheers

Nick

• 1 month later...

After a enforced month away from modelling (other projects had to take priority) I have a little bit more time in December. I have just taken delivery of 4 base boards that have been put together very professionally by a friend of mine. Following sage advice from you guys (Thanks Ray & Jack) I opted for birch ply and they truly are a thing of beauty (even the Mrs likes them! :O) - hopefully we will get the two remaining boards on Saturday :)

Could I have some advice on ballast please, this is the sort of look I was thinking of

post-28988-0-95971400-1480668765.jpg

Somewhere between that and the look of the track work round Four Seasons Merchandise (see previously posted picture)

Any recommendations would be more than welcome

Many thanks in advance

Nick

• 1 month later...

Yippee!!!! finally got the boards up yesterday :O :tomato:

post-28988-0-15987700-1483880825_thumb.jpgpost-28988-0-44372700-1483880844_thumb.jpgpost-28988-0-70100900-1483880862_thumb.jpgpost-28988-0-95997800-1483880893_thumb.jpgpost-28988-0-96255700-1483880911_thumb.jpg

I am really pleased with the progress except some idiot ie Me! ordered too few adjustable feet for so I will need add these next week :scratchhead:

The boards are made of 11mm Birch Ply expertly put together by a friend of ours (KD blocked and glued) for a furniture like finish, even the Mrs is very pleased with them :)

I have been thinking further about the plan as I am concerned the original one will a bit limiting operations wise (train length two cars). Please see below an adaption of The Fort Smith/ Midland Ohio (apolgies guys). I would like to hear any views on the below

post-28988-0-74074200-1483881476_thumb.jpg

Many thanks in advance

Kind regards

Nick

Thanks for that Ray, it pretty much took us from May to December-  weekends plus all my hols to get it to the stage you see it now.

Thanks also for the suggestions, some interesting ideas there to ponder, the main issue I coming up with at the mo is where the baseboard joints fall,

Note to self :  finalise plan then build baseboards! :mail:

Cheers

Nick

Hi Nick, here's my take on your plan, to try and increase train length (if only a bit!!). I'm still a 'back of the envelope sketcher' so just scanned your plan and scribbled on that, sorry!!

SCAN0047_zpsvfmg8nsf.jpg

Assuming the turnouts are what you have (3 of each, R/H & L/H) I'd bring the two turnouts from the curve, more 'into' the curve if that makes sense. Not entirely prototypical maybe, but when you're trying to pinch inches, sometimes needs must. So this re-arranges the left-hand side with the loop and kick back as above; increases the loop ("siding" in US) length and makes the spur easier to work, in the same 'direction' as the other yard. For that ("upper"?) yard, the rear spur curves after the first turnout, the second spur is 'straight', & the front spur can either curve to match or stay at an angle across the board (my preference, as drawn!). The plan still uses 6 turnouts, 3 of each Hand.

Remember though, the Gospel according to Sir Mindheim; it's not so much the amount of track that makes for operational interest - it's the amount of car spots. ;)

Archived