64F

Can anyone offer any advice on where to obtain spares for Hobbytrade stock?

With my club's German layout due out for a show next month I am belatedly trying to complete my rake of DB dostos by converting a (mistakenly purchased) 3-rail carriage to 2-rail.  The main work was a pleasure to do (despite an absence of instructions the model comes apart and goes back together very easily and the wiring is readily accessible), but I've drawn a blank on replacing the wheelsets.  The non-insulated 3-rail wheelsets are obviously useless for 2-rail, but  standard wheelsets from the parts bin won't do either.  The problem is that the lighting pickups are in the axle bearings, so the axles themselves require to be insulated (rather than just having one wheel insulated from the axle as normal).  Furthermore, fitting a standard wheelset into a bogie is an over-tight fit and distorts the bogie sightly, so I think that the cones on the axle ends need to be shorter than normal.  Factory-supplied 2-rail coaches have adjustable 2-piece wheelsets of a type I've not come across elsewhere, which drop into the bogie without damaging it and can then be adjusted to the correct gauge.

I could of course try emailing Hobbytrade in grotesquely distorted Danish from Google Translate, but thought I'd ask here first!

The best bet is to email Hobbytrade in your best English. Carsten and his team certainly speak better English that my Danish and are very helpful. They provided me with spares for their Litra D, which I've since used in a conversion to p87.

Regards,

Geraint

• 2 weeks later...

Very efficient spare parts service from Hobbytrade, after following the advice to email them in plain English with a Google translate version.

Thanks for reporting that. I'll pass on the comment when I see them next week!

Geraint

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...