50t Warwell Wagon in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

Nearly but not quite Paul

As I've said previously Hattons have NOT tooled these fine wagons to represent the Warwells as they appear in the 2000s and beyond. They lack the widened decks above the bogies which appear in all photos of them in use at present. Also missing the plates protecting the buffers. They were altered presumably to enable them to carrier Warrior tracked vehicles. Some but not all now also have cradles fitted to enable Warriors to be carried higher up, still within the loading gauge, but so at not to foul station platforms.

They do look great though, fine up to 1990's

OK accepted, but not a difficult conversion, and perhaps one of the small etched manufacturers will help out. What about the differences in coupling pocket. http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/recentlyadded/e8d5c324e

As Dave says, RTR cannot cover every possibility of any wagon design. Wagons are bloody complicated, especially when they are 65 years old, as these! Look at those bogie bolsters, wow. And the ones to come according to the Hattons site. I just hope that in 7mm we will get at least one bogie bolster - preferably the immediate post war conversion. Much more useful than a Warwell!

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

The 90's variant has a, what appears to be,  significantly different colour scheme than others and the weathered variant!  This ok?

https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/H4-WW-016_3266628_Qty1_1.jpg

https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/H4-WW-017_3266629_Qty1_1.jpg

With a minute amount of research You could have made your own judgement.

http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/warwell/e21722935

http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/warwell/e2f598eca

Paul

So now with these coming out...  anyone have suggestions on what to use for proper scale chain to hold down loads?  Obviously a tank sitting on this has to be anchored by something.  What do you all plan on using?

As far as I know that have been using straps rather than chains recently - there are different colours depending on the type of vehicles being carried. CVR(T) variants had a red straps for example. I model around the 2000s so they may have used chains further back.

Cheers,

Ben.

I've got four of these on the photo bench at the moment whilst preparing the review for BRM August; very impressed with detail differences well accommodated. The underside is as interesting as the top and weighing in at 90g they feel very good quality.

15.jpg

11.jpg

9.jpg

• Like 12

I'm pretty sure in WWII they used chains...  maybe some fine jewelers or necklace chains suitably painted would work fine.

Chains were the norm into the 1980s; these would have had tensioners which resembled screw couplings.

Here are some links to loaded Warwells, with the different forms of securing strap:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/albums/72157627008284776/page6

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/albums/72157627008284776/page5

and here are some modern Warflats, loaded and secured in a similar manner:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/albums/72157627008284776/page4

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/albums/72157627008284776/page3

Note how the tensioning straps cross one another, and how vehicles are usually chocked as well.

Here are some examples with chains:-

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/warwell/h20a58054#h20a58054

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/warwell/h4d9b68a4#h4d9b68a4

Again, the chains cross one another.

The chain is somewhat lighter than that shown in some of the model photos.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

As requested here's some (as close as possible!) closeups of varied areas of printing on the weathered 2000s era wagon (H4-WW-020) . As ever, click the images for BIGGER photos, if you can handle them that close!.

Cheers,

Dave

post-28458-0-24377900-1497884144_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-10683400-1497884306_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-36368400-1497884308_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-66355700-1497884310_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I can confirm that the full range of our OO gauge Warwells are now IN STOCK . Pre-orders are being processed and readied for despatch as I type.

All of the wagons are now available to purchase on the Main Website here.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Thanks to this topic and your updates I ordered a pair this week. Nice to see a product announced and available for sale in a short period of time.

Hope they are a success for Hattons.

All the best

Mark

Edited by MRDBLUE17

Here it is, delivered just 10 minutes ago.

post-15-0-92692900-1498127827_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-33760800-1498127834_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-14290900-1498127842_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-55315700-1498127850_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-41376500-1498127859_thumb.jpg

Now to find a suitable load.

Edit to add.

Fitted with Kadee #17.

Edited by JZ
  • Like 6

Here it is, delivered just 10 minutes ago.

attachicon.gifww1.jpg

attachicon.gifww2.jpg

attachicon.gifww3.jpg

attachicon.gifww4.jpg

attachicon.gifww5.jpg

Now to find a suitable load.

Edit to add.

Fitted with Kadee #17.

In the early 1980s, there used to be a regular working from BREL Derby/Doncaster to Gateshead depot, which had a mixture of wagons. These included Warwells and Weltrols for larger items such as complete bogies and diesel engines. Such items were sheeted, but the sheets didn't always reach down on to the wagon itself, allowing tantalising glimpses of the load to be seen. Someone has done resin or 3D-printed models of different British diesel engines, which might serve as the load. Alternatively, a spare bogie off a r-t-r model could be used.

Mine arrived this morning. Slightly unusual packaging - instead of being sideways on in the box, so that the wagon is upright when the box is stacked with the plastic panel vertical, it's actually packed flat so that the top of the wagon faces the plastic panel, so when the box is vertical the wagon is on its side (see photo). That also makes it harder to see what's in the box than normal.

I presume that doesn't really matter so much for Hattons, since the majority of their sales will be online and hence not many people will buy it based on the box. But it does look a bit odd.

It's a lovely model when you get it out of the box, though. One of the most noticable things about it when you handle it for the first time is how heavy it is - one of the drawbacks of a lot of bogie wagons is that they tend to be very light, which makes for poor running, but this feels really chunky in the hand. To the extent that I've been able to test it so far, it rolls very well indeed. Compare it with the similarly-sized Bachmann bogie bolster, for example, and you can really feel the difference in weight.

I haven't fitted the detailing parts yet (I'll leave that until I'm closer to being able to use it for real on the layout), but even without them, it looks very good. It's not cheap, as wagons go, but the money spent isn't wasted.

Now, to get a suitable load for it...

post-6802-0-51317300-1498212446_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Just arrived, I love it! This is the LMS registered one, will defo get the LNER & GWR ones in due course. Combined with Oxford Rail & Bachmann offerings,they'll make a great military goods train! Although I'm not sure my roundy is big enough for potentially 6/7 Warwells /flats, we'll see. :P

post-29051-0-37287100-1498216529_thumb.jpg

post-29051-0-41549200-1498216548_thumb.jpg

post-29051-0-60615400-1498216566_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

[sNIP]

[sNIP]

[sNIP]

Hi all,

Cheers for the photos so far! It's great to see them settling into more natural environments than the Hatton's Dave test track  :smileclear:

Would you mind if we shared these photos via our Social Media over the weekend?

Cheers,

Dave

I'm thinking the Langley Drott got my Gulf Red Engineers' version. Now, would the Drott have been yellow in 1965..?

I think they were delivered in red, International Harvester's house colour.

For a WWII era train would these have been formed of mixed GWR LMS and LNER wagons common user ?

Yes.

They do look good. I wasn't really in the market for a Warwell, but I got to thinking the other day that I could use a slightly more modern camera wagon than the Bachmann bogie bolster wagon I'm currently using. While this has decent, non-wobbly wheels and axles, it has the older style medium couplings, which I can't just change over for use with different systems.

A Warwell with the raised floor would fill the bill admirably, and its NEM pockets would allow for tension lock or Kadee couplings to be plugged in according to needs.

Well, look at that. I've just about talked myself into getting one!  :D

• Like 1

Hi all,

Cheers for the photos so far! It's great to see them settling into more natural environments than the Hatton's Dave test track  :smileclear:

Would you mind if we shared these photos via our Social Media over the weekend?

Cheers,

Dave

Not at all. Well me at least.

• RMweb Gold

I haven't fitted the detailing parts yet (I'll leave that until I'm closer to being able to use it for real on the layout), but even without them, it looks very good. It's not cheap, as wagons go, but the money spent isn't wasted.

Now, to get a suitable load for it...

Is there any info on fitting the detail parts or are they self explanatory.

After seeing the photos up thread yesterday I ordered one of each of the three modern image warwells. Usual excellent service from Hattons they've just arrived.

Very well packed and cleverly designed boxes. One buffer had come adrift but that was easily replaced.

The bodies of these wagons are truly excellent. Sublime rivet detail and track grips on the deck. Excellent representation of the wooden beams with grain effect. Paint colours, and lettering are suberb. I've said previously that these wagons didn't represent the wagons as they run now with the widened decks above the bogies which was done presumably to facilitate carrying Warrior vehicles but I was considering overlooking this as they looked so good.

Turning the wagon over the detail underneath is excellent too. Underside of the wooden deck beams have grain effect. Brake cylinder and piping included. Rivet detail on frames present.

Problem. The Gloucester GPS bogies are seriously under nourished. On all photographs of the real wagons I have seen the bogies are the same width as the frames. On the model they are approx 2mm to narrow on each side so about 4mm overall. I'm not convinced about the depth of the bogie frames either. It's almost like they are HO scale. I'll compare them with some Appleby Model Engineering GPS bogies I have later when I dig them out of the cupboard.

Overall then body 9.5 / 10, bogies 4 / 10.

With the big problem with the bogies, and the minor problem with the body I'm considering whether I will return them for refund.