50t Warwell Wagon in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

Is there any info on fitting the detail parts or are they self explanatory.

There's no information, so I'm hoping they will be reasonably self-explanatory when I come to do it. There are some very tiny holes in the buffer beams where they obviously go, and prototype photos make it clear enough what goes where. So it should just be a case of referring to a photo.

• Informative/Useful 1

Problem. The Gloucester GPS bogies are seriously under nourished. On all photographs of the real wagons I have seen the bogies are the same width as the frames. On the model they are approx 2mm to narrow on each side so about 4mm overall. I'm not convinced about the depth of the bogie frames either. It's almost like they are HO scale. I'll compare them with some Appleby Model Engineering GPS bogies I have later when I dig them out of the cupboard.

I'm not entirely sure that's quite right. There are a number of photos of them at http://www.railalbum.co.uk/railway-wagons/military/ww2-50-ton-warwell-1.htm - it's hard to judge the precise width of the bogies from that, but they do look to be slightly narrower than the frames. I think you're right that the model's are slightly more inset than the prototype, but I wonder if that's merely an artifact of being designed for 16.5mm track. 

The one area where that may cause issues is that there doesn't look, to me, to be enough space to fit EM or S4 wheelsets without also replacing the entire bogie. That might be something to consider for those who were planning to do that.

Hi all,

Cheers for the photos so far! It's great to see them settling into more natural environments than the Hatton's Dave test track :smileclear:

Would you mind if we shared these photos via our Social Media over the weekend?

Cheers,

Dave

I replied on Twitter but I'll give you the all clear on here too just incase :P

To anyone debating buying one, just do it. They're extremely high quality :)

Hi Mark

Thanks for the reply. I agree with you about fitting of EM or P4 wheelsets possibly being difficult due to the narrow width of the bogies.

I was referring in my post to the GPS bogied refurbished warwells but most of the pictures in your link above are of unrefurbished diamond framed bogied wagons

Just given mine a serious run. Through pointwork at the head of a train, at the rear, propelled though points in both positions. No problems at all. Must find a proper load for it, probably won't be a tank though. Maybe something nautical going from Avonmouth to Poole.

Is there any info on fitting the detail parts or are they self explanatory.

The latter - vac. pipes : hole below bufferbeam; safety chains : holes adjacent to buffers; coupling hook : hole in centre of bufferbeam.

Mine runs through Peco medium radius points with the safety chains fitted.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

As others have said, very nice models, two arriving with me this morning.

I have a BR grey "normal" version and an S&T one with the added bolsters. The latter doesn't have the end jacks, so doesn't have the chains in the accessory bag, nor does it have the holes for them in the buffer beam. Very nice attention to detail.

It almost seems ungrateful to say this when we should be (and I am) enjoying these but, given the quality, I wonder what else they have in development?

• Like 1

Hi All,

My 5 Warwell wagons turned up today.

I deceided to go for the olive - weathered 1990's version & very impressive they look too.

Now waiting for the Bachmann class 47 in original railfreight grey livery which should be out late this year or early next.

The latter - vac. pipes : hole below bufferbeam; safety chains : holes adjacent to buffers; coupling hook : hole in centre of bufferbeam.

Mine runs through Peco medium radius points with the safety chains fitted.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Getting the end right may be quite difficult.

Unfitted, internal use with the pipes removed http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/warwell/e3b7e540c

Rebogied, air brake, vac pipe, chains removed different buffer heads http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/warwell/e298ff655

Upper KWB vac pipe remains, air hose removed; lower  KWA vac pipe removed airpipe, different coupling pocket, and both have different buffers http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/warwell/e8d5c324e

Paul

Got mine today and I love them. I am still not sure about the livery for the Grouping examples but otherwise very pleased with the trio... couldn't resist getting them out and taking some shots of them!! Just had to replicate that 4200 shot...

post-605-0-53956300-1498339815_thumb.jpg

post-605-0-18564100-1498339829_thumb.jpg

post-605-0-28894100-1498339941_thumb.jpg

post-605-0-16609100-1498339982_thumb.jpg

post-605-0-00027400-1498340123_thumb.jpg

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 5

Here's the Hatton's model ,albeit pre production at the time , with the detail added.

attachicon.gifpost-28458-0-05031600-1496239996.jpg

The production safety chains and screw couplings are non-working plastic as, of course are the vac. pipes.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Looks like that's the O Gauge sample if not mistaken which explains the metal chains/springs etc. Layout of the detail should be the same though I expect.

• Like 1

I need several of these for my layout and whilst I'd told myself I'd wait until the Oxford version was released I caved and ordered 1 of the modern ones to have a look at.

The bogies I think I can live with but the missing plates over the buffers is a shame and (IMO at least) very noticable. That said the weight of the model as pointed out by others is very reassuring and the standard of finish is excellent. It seems Oxford's modern version will only be available as a three-pack so will have to wait and see I think before buying any more.

The bogies I think I can live with but the missing plates over the buffers is a shame and (IMO at least) very noticeable. 

Do you have a photo of these plates? I cannot find a picture of one with them.

I need several of these for my layout and whilst I'd told myself I'd wait until the Oxford version was released I caved and ordered 1 of the modern ones to have a look at.

The bogies I think I can live with but the missing plates over the buffers is a shame and (IMO at least) very noticable. That said the weight of the model as pointed out by others is very reassuring and the standard of finish is excellent. It seems Oxford's modern version will only be available as a three-pack so will have to wait and see I think before buying any more.

What do you mean by "modern"? Hattons have produced the WW2 version; albeit in versions with original and replacement bogies.

The real 'modern' WARWELLS are an entirely different design that has not been modelled by either Hattons or Oxford.

I think that you'll find that it is the true 'modern' design that has plates over the buffers - not the WW2 or refurbished ones that are currently available as models.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

What do you mean by "modern"? Hattons have produced the WW2 version; albeit in versions with original and replacement bogies.

The real 'modern' WARWELLS are an entirely different design that has not been modelled by either Hattons or Oxford.

I think that you'll find that it is the true 'modern' design that has plates over the buffers - not the WW2 or refurbished ones that are currently available as models.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I think you'll find that the model Hatton's has produced, regardless of it's provenance, certainly should have plates above the buffers in it's post-2000 guise. I purchased MODA 95536 (hatton's code H4-WW-018) as pictured below with the plates clearly visible:

post-6758-0-34844100-1498391486.jpg

(Image from the same article that Paul linked above: http://www.railalbum.co.uk/railway-wagons/military/ww2-50-ton-warwell-2.htm)

I'll admit that I was unaware of a more modern batch of warwells, I was under the impression the originals were simply refurbished and rebogied so I'd be happy to learn more about that?

Edited by Ragtag

I think you'll find that the model Hatton's has produced, regardless of it's provenance, certainly should have plates above the buffers in it's post-2000 guise. I purchased MODA 95536 (hatton's code H4-WW-018) as pictured below with the plates clearly visible:

attachicon.gifmoda95536-kwa-glos-ooc-05aug2000-film0022-13a.jpg

(Image from: http://www.railalbum.co.uk/railway-wagons/military/ww2-50-ton-warwell-2.htm)

I'll admit that I was unaware of a more modern batch of warwells, I was under the impression the originals were simply refurbished and rebogied so I'd be happy to learn more about that?

There is only one design built during the War and subsequently rebuilt with GPS bogies and air brakes! They were subsequently modified for the transportation of Warriors by extending the deck slightly at the ramp section into the well and the fittings for the removable platform for them to sit on keeping them in guage plus the plates over the buffer beams!

Mark Saunders

There is only one design built during the War and subsequently rebuilt with GPS bogies and air brakes! They were subsequently modified for the transportation of Warriors by extending the deck slightly at the ramp section into the well and the fittings for the removable platform for them to sit on keeping them in guage plus the plates over the buffer beams!

Mark Saunders

Thanks Mark, that was my understanding too.